2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Paul678 can generate enough information to decide how to purchase a piano by searching for pianos privately and at dealerships and comparing prices of comparable units. There is no need for any information about the contract between the consignor and the seller in order to accomplish this.

Certainly anything used costs more when you buy it from a dealer (cars included) than if you bought it privately. Each individual has to decide how much they are willing to pay to eliminate the risks of a private sale (or not).

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wimpiano
Why do you need to know the typical Split?
Is it because of the Boston? Do you want to decide for either the dealer or the current owner what he deserves?

Let's make it simple:
  • If you like the piano and can afford it buy it
  • If you think the piano is not worth what they are asking, don't buy it.
  • If you don't have the money, don't buy it.
  • If you have the money and like it, by all means buy it. (And I know I am repeating myself)

The only reason to ask such a question is if you are suspecting you are being ripped. In that case, run, and don't look back. This certainly does not seem to be the case with the Boston. As people have said, it seems like a fair deal for a good piano. I am not asking you to make a decision (but by all means, make a decision).
I think this is a big oversimplification(although I do not know the details of some prior post about a Boston). One part of knowing whether "the piano is worth it" is knowing what the dealer's % is.

Many people, perhaps the majority, are afraid of getting ripped off or at least getting a bad deal. This applies for new pianos and used piano sold privately or on consignment. That's the whole reason Fine's SMP pricing is so useful and important. It gives an estimate of whether the dealer's mark up is reasonable/fair.

"If you like the piano and can afford it buy it" is not IMO such good advice. "Can afford it" may not be a simple black and white issue. What if the buyer likes it but has to make significant financial concessions in other areas to buy it and the piano is also overpriced(the dealer's markup is more than average)?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/15/14 06:30 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
There are other considerations why a seller would choose to sell on consignment. One would be that they don't want the hassle of trying to market it and have unknown "guests" in their home. Another reason is that it is from an estate. Also, job transfers often force a consignment sale.

The bottom line is that the asking price is the asking price. How it was formulated is irrelevant. No one is forcing the shopper to become the buyer.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
Certainly anything used costs more when you buy it from a dealer (cars included) than if you bought it privately. Each individual has to decide how much they are willing to pay to eliminate the risks of a private sale (or not).
I'm not at all sure that consignment pianos are typically sold with a warranty. So the risks of a private sale may not be any greater than a consignment sale. Certainly in either case the buyer would want a very careful inspection by a good tech.

My impression is that most used pianos taken by a dealer as a trade in usually come with a warranty.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/15/14 06:37 PM.
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Another possibility is that the seller may tell the dealer how much he or she wants when the piano is sold and then allows the dealer to set the asking price. The dealer's margin would depend on how much over what the seller's bottom line is when the piano is sold .

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
E
E
I did a quick search online, and the price is reasonable based on other pianos.

offering a low ball number will not usually garner any feedback from my experience. it is a stated message on many of the craigslist's ads that I see posted.

A newer piano than the one posted. I don't know the models, so maybe it is nicer or not.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grand-Piano-Boston-GP193-ES-/281402691253

Another newer piano.
http://randyswholesalepianos.com/product/sold-pianos/piano-for-sale-2002-boston-gp-193-grand-piano/

I would believe that they are close enough in years, that the price would be similar. The $16k was listed as out-the-door, and these others might include tax which isn't a small amount.

I think the potential buyer is not as serious as we are to believe, or the buyer doesn't think the piano is that great. Based on many postings here, I presume if you love the piano, and the price is fair, then people will buy it. If you need it to be a great deal, then probably you don't really love it.

P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think this is a big oversimplification(although I do not know the details of some prior post about a Boston). One part of knowing whether "the piano is worth it" is knowing what the dealer's % is.

Many people, perhaps the majority, are afraid of getting ripped off or at least getting a bad deal. This applies for new pianos and used piano sold privately or on consignment. That's the whole reason Fine's SMP pricing is so useful and important. It gives an estimate of whether the dealer's mark up is reasonable/fair.

"If you like the piano and can afford it buy it" is not IMO such good advice. "Can afford it" may not be a simple black and white issue. What if the buyer likes it but has to make significant financial concessions in other areas to buy it and the piano is also overpriced(the dealer's markup is more than average)?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Another human being who is using their brain!

Agreed 110%!!

thumb

Last edited by Paul678; 09/15/14 08:54 PM.
E
E
Originally Posted by Paul678

Agreed 110%!!

thumb

So if two identical pianos are on consignment, but one was a estate sale and the buyer was asking $5, and the other was someone upgrading their piano was asking $10k, but the dealer for both of them is listing them at $17k? Is one a ripoff, and the other a good deal?

Based on what you are saying and pianoloverus, then I would assume that is your feeling.

However, in my opinion, the pianos are the same and the price is the same. In one case, the dealer makes the most money, in the other case, the seller makes the most money, but if one is fair, then the other is fair. if you had a choice, do you pick the one where the dealer makes less money. It is inane.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W

I would agree with you anytime on the above. However, given that this is the 3rd or 4th topic about the same piano, in this case I think a simplification helps.
Would I recommend what I wrote above to everyone? Of course not.
The first post about this actual piano was full of questions about whether or not to trust the dealer and the price. Of course you can try to find out everything about a specific piano, who gets what, or is it fair that a dealer gets a certain amount or not but in the end the dealer decides whether he wants to sell it to Paul or not. It seems like he is not willing to sell it for anything less than the 16k USD in any case. So all of the information he will get can only help him to buy it or not, it won't help him haggling.
It will probably only upset the dealer to find out that somebody is trying to find out his businessmodel and telling him that he is doing his business wrong...

Well, perhaps Paul falls into the category of shoppers known as “tire-kickers and well-wishers”, as we say here in the south. In other words, perpetually shopping but never buying. Of course, I’ve been in that particular category a few times myself. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Rickster
Well, perhaps Paul falls into the category of shoppers known as “tire-kickers and well-wishers”, as we say here in the south. In other words, perpetually shopping but never buying. Of course, I’ve been in that particular category a few times myself. smile

Rick

Hehe, you may be right about that!

One things for sure: Tire kickers never get ripped off!

grin

No, but seriously, I do want to buy one....just being
careful, even a bit paranoid, which is a higher state of
awareness!

Ok, 40-50% for the dealer. Forewarned is forearmed.

Will keep u posted, thanks!

S
S
Most dealers hold to approximately the same margin on consignment sales as on used pianos they have in stock.

The rarity is buyers. Why should a dealer "use up" one of their buyers on a consignment sale if it makes less that they could make on a similar in-stock instrument?

Other issues are:

Who pays to pick up the piano and take it to the store?
Who pays for prepping the piano for sale? (Often a significant expense.)
Who pays for any warranty?

Answers consisting of a percentage of selling price are misleading.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Originally Posted by eugene_bb
Originally Posted by Paul678

Agreed 110%!!

thumb

So if two identical pianos are on consignment, but one was a estate sale and the buyer was asking $5, and the other was someone upgrading their piano was asking $10k, but the dealer for both of them is listing them at $17k? Is one a ripoff, and the other a good deal?

Based on what you are saying and pianoloverus, then I would assume that is your feeling.

However, in my opinion, the pianos are the same and the price is the same. In one case, the dealer makes the most money, in the other case, the seller makes the most money, but if one is fair, then the other is fair. if you had a choice, do you pick the one where the dealer makes less money. It is inane.
In that case they would be the same but only because you carefully added "estate sale". If the piano was available as a private sale then the one where the owner wants 5K is much better and the dealer's commission seems relevant.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Most dealers hold to approximately the same margin on consignment sales as on used pianos they have in stock.

The rarity is buyers. Why should a dealer "use up" one of their buyers on a consignment sale if it makes less that they could make on a similar in-stock instrument?

Other issues are:

Who pays to pick up the piano and take it to the store?
Who pays for prepping the piano for sale? (Often a significant expense.)
Who pays for any warranty?

Answers consisting of a percentage of selling price are misleading.

I agree completely. There's more parts to the equasion then one would say based on a percentage.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Usually, in an estate sale, it isn't the seller (executor) setting the price. The item is appraised as to market value, but that will not be the amount paid to the estate.

Let's say that the market value is appraised $20,000 and the piano is placed on consignment with agreed terms of 50-50%. The item may actually sell for $18,000 and the split would still be 50-50%. Even if the item sells for $500, the split is still 50-50.

It is the executor's responsibility to maximize the estate, however, the ultimate return on any given item in the estate may be considerably less than market value.

In the above reference of the seller/executor (I think "buyer" is a typo) "asking" $5.00 would not happen, unless the value of the piano is only $5.00. The appraiser, in this case the dealer, sets the market value and the sales terms are negotiated between the executor and the dealer.

This is a very different from an estate auction. For a buyer, that is where the bargains can be found, rather than on consignment items. The method(s) of liquidation is the decision of the executor(s) unless specified in the will.

Marty in Minnesota

C
C
Steve +1.......again! To the point and on target.

Looking at it from the dealer's prospective, I would want a customer raving about my piano line, something that's lost on a consignment and only benefits the buyer (plus obvious payment for the dealer). Additionally, if I was a dealer, I would only take on consignments that I knew move fast (pays for overhead) or display a piano so awesome, it brings foot traffic, which in turn affords yet another opportunity to move the prospect into my piano line. I'm a bit lost as to why a prospect cares about the split, even after reading these posts, sorry. I keep coming back to; Who cares, so as long as it's a price/piano that works for you? If I wanted a C3 in my area, there's a ton to chose from and I could care less who has it as long as it's "the one".

Consignment is a one shot deal but selling your line gets you word of mouth and exposure when your client shows off his shiny new piano. Please, no hate mail that I'm screwing the client, I'm being realistic and trying the "walk a mile" thing as a dealer...........blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
E
E
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Usually, in an estate sale, it isn't the seller (executor) setting the price. The item is appraised as to market value, but that will not be the amount paid to the estate.

Let's say that the market value is appraised $20,000 and the piano is placed on consignment with agreed terms of 50-50%. The item may actually sell for $18,000 and the split would still be 50-50%. Even if the item sells for $500, the split is still 50-50.

It is the executor's responsibility to maximize the estate, however, the ultimate return on any given item in the estate may be considerably less than market value.

In the above reference of the seller/executor (I think "buyer" is a typo) "asking" $5.00 would not happen, unless the value of the piano is only $5.00. The appraiser, in this case the dealer, sets the market value and the sales terms are negotiated between the executor and the dealer.

This is a very different from an estate auction. For a buyer, that is where the bargains can be found, rather than on consignment items. The method(s) of liquidation is the decision of the executor(s) unless specified in the will.

Sorry, I meant $5,000 versus $10,000. If they are virtually identical pianos, but one person just wants to get rid of it, and the other person is stubborn about it, and they are both on consignment, but the dealer lists them at the same price, is one a bargain and the other a ripoff. I think they are the same. if the dealer lowered the price based on the cheaper one, he will never sell the more expensive one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Eugene,

The person who only wants $5,000, would probably just sell the piano to a dealer for resale. It would no longer be a consignment and the dealer could sell it for whatever the market will bear.

It is neither the consigner, nor the dealer, who determine the final price. It is the market. The percentage split is part of the negotiations between both parties before the item is offered for sale. Those become a binding contract. In my 50-50% example, the seller would get his $5,000 and the dealer would get $5,000 if the piano sold for $10,000. If the piano sold for $20,000, the seller, who would have been happy with $5,000, would actually receive $10,000.

The only thing that the buyer needs to consider is the actual purchase price of the piano. The contract between the present owner and the dealer are irrelevant. The contract may certainly have a clause in which the present owner can specify a "bottom line" of the sales price. It would make not sense to specify a "maximum."

Marty in Minnesota

E
E
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Eugene,

The person who only wants $5,000, would probably just sell the piano to a dealer for resale. It would no longer be a consignment and the dealer could sell it for whatever the market will bear.

It is neither the consigner, nor the dealer, who determine the final price. It is the market. The percentage split is part of the negotiations between both parties before the item is offered for sale. Those become a binding contract. In my 50-50% example, the seller would get his $5,000 and the dealer would get $5,000 if the piano sold for $10,000. If the piano sold for $20,000, the seller, who would have been happy with $5,000, would actually receive $10,000.

The only thing that the buyer needs to consider is the actual purchase price of the piano. The contract between the present owner and the dealer are irrelevant. The contract may certainly have a clause in which the present owner can specify a "bottom line" of the sales price. It would make not sense to specify a "maximum."

I am not trying to understand the market, contracts, percentages, how people sell things, etc. I am trying to understand these buyers who seem to care how the money is split and not the final price, and they don't seem to answer my question in this situation. does it makes a difference to them how much of the money goes to the dealer and how much goes to the seller if the selling price is the same?

Originally Posted by eugene_bb
I am not trying to understand the market, contracts, percentages, how people sell things, etc. I am trying to understand these buyers who seem to care how the money is split and not the final price, and they don't seem to answer my question in this situation. does it makes a difference to them how much of the money goes to the dealer and how much goes to the seller if the selling price is the same?
I think that question is missing the point.

If the dealer gets a big % then that could indicate a similar piano could be bought privately for MUCH less as opposed to somewhat less. Then some buyers would decide it's worth the effort to try and buy a piano privately.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission