2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1733873 08/15/11 10:08 PM
OP Offline
Any suggestions on interpretation and literature about this piece? Thoughts from people who performed it?

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
Grieg Sonata in e minor; Bartok Romanian Dances; Beethoven Sonata in A-flat, Op. 110; Mozart Concerto in d minor, K. 466
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yay! A Kreisleriana question!!!

As for literature, the direct inspiration was E.T.A. Hoffmann's "Lebensansichten des Katers Murr." Loosely translated, it's the "Life and Thoughts of the Tomcat Murr." It's an odd book with kind of a strange gimmick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Opinions_of_the_Tomcat_Murr

The influence on Schumann is (in my opinion) most apparent in the 7th piece. The coda of the 7th piece bears no relation to the what comes before, but if we see the coda as being one of the places where Kreisler's biography and the Cat's story meet.

For more on Kreisler, you can also read E.T.A. Hoffmann's "Fantasiestücke in Callots Manier" which has a section entitled "Kreisleriana." (Probably where Schumann got the title. Hoffmann's book was published in the mid 1810's, and Schumann would definitely have been familiar with it.)

The set itself is a bit of a turning point in Schumann's output as well. Before the Kreisleriana, Schumann was much more concrete about what was being expressed. Papillons is a specific scene from Flegeljahre; the Davidsbundlertanze pieces are all signed by Florestan and Eusebius (or both.) Carnaval and Kinderszenen's pieces are all obviously titled, but other than the title "Kreisleriana", specific connections are not made between the pieces and whatever may have inspired them.

The work also has a rich recorded history. There are two famous recordings by Horowitz, excellent readings by Rubinstein and Argerich, and others from pianists as diverse as Cherkassky, Arrau, and Uchida. My favorite recordings (I own at least a dozen!) include Egorov, Lupu, and Mark Swartzentruber. I'm not as impressed with some of the other "big names" who've recorded it, but you might also check out Schiff, Perahia, Pollini, Brendel, Kissin, and Kempff. (And maybe Biss and Vogt.)

Our own Thracozaag also has his performance of the set on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Thracozaag

And he wrote an excellent essay on it you can read here:

http://www.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=635

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Argerich turned me on to the piece. Kreisler, interesting that you admire Egorov. Most folks my age (or younger) have not heard of him, but I know that recording. It was very highly praised at the time, and the reviews in hindsight were spot on. What a tragedy Egorov's loss was.
'
Schumann's very underrated -and underplayed- Humoresque was also based on E.T.A. Hoffmann, I believe.

Jason
OP Offline
Thanks for the info! Just wondering if there are some good English translations of the Hoffmann writings? I can't find much out there for that other than possibly a hundred dollar book on amazon. Any suggestions? I would like to get some of the background on the piece before just plowing through wink Makes it mean a lot more!

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
Grieg Sonata in e minor; Bartok Romanian Dances; Beethoven Sonata in A-flat, Op. 110; Mozart Concerto in d minor, K. 466
Yes, there's an English translation published by Penguin Classics:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/594852.The_Life_and_Opinions_of_the_Tomcat_Murr

It's inexpensive (less than $15 I think.)

The Fantasiestucke is harder to find, but there is a good English translation of it as well. It's just titled "Fantasy Pieces" and was published by Syracuse University in 1995. There's also an anthology of all of Hoffmann's musical writings available. (Don't own it, so not sure about the details.)

Check local university libraries. The essays in the Fantasiestucke are short enough to read in a quick sitting and well worth it.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
BDB Offline
B
A good recording I have is by Vlado Perlemuter, on a rare old Dover (yes, the reprint house) LP, along with the Fantasy.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Argerich turned me on to the piece.

Really? You don't say? Sorry, but this made me laugh.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

I
I
I love Kreisleriana by Robert Schumann. And I don't want to believe that this work was inspired by a strange character created by E.T.A.Hoffmann. The work "Kreisleriana", I think, was a love letter to Clara.
Robert and Clara played Anagram in their childhood.
For example (this is not what they played.);
A CLAVIER:
I am looking at " A CLAVIER ". You may find " I've Clara." Is that right ? So I can dream of you.
Then, "KREISLERIANA" "KLARA, SEI REIN!" "CLARA, BE PURE!"
Kreisleriana contains full of love and desire towards Clara.

http://www.geocities.jp/imyfujita/kreisleriana/index.htm

This web page reveal the secret of Kreisleriana.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't know what's more zombie-like: this three year old thread, or the new post's GeoCities url! (Yahoo's GeoCities web portal shut down years ago. Except, apparently, in Japan.)

-J

stores #2328258 09/16/14 11:10 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Argerich turned me on to the piece.

Really? You don't say? Sorry, but this made me laugh.

Gee, I missed this comment at the time it was posted! wink

Sorry you are no longer active -I always enjoyed reading your, shall we say, 'provocative posts'- but for the benefit of our current members: What difference does it make what pianist turned me on to the piece? The end result I think should justify the means.

Jason
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
There's a riveting live performance by Nathan Brand that I can recommend strongly.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a great piece! I wrote a 40 page thesis on Kreisleriana. I must say that I didn't arrive at quite the same conclusion as our geocities poster.

I
I
Can I read your thesis? It seems very interesting.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission