2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2328770 09/18/14 03:23 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes.

I'm 18, and I've been playing piano for about 3 1/2 years, and taking lessons for a year and a half. Sight reading is an ongoing struggle for me. My playing level is fairly advanced,(my last recital pieces were 'Juba' and "Schumann's Romance in F# Major", and now I'm working on "Rustles of Spring" by Christian Sinding), but my sight reading is not so much. When I first started taking lessons, I basically couldn't sight read at all. (I could figure things out, but it took a lot of time) My teacher is taking me through the Keith Snell repertoire books, and we're in level 4 right now. I can sight read them, but by no means easily or well. My teacher says that these are my sight reading exercises, but we spend a week or 2 on each piece. She has told me that I need to sight read new things every day, but hasn't given me any specific material or anything.

I am looking for books or something that I can go through that has a specific amount to do each day, so there is no guess work involved. Would the Paul Harris books "Improve your sight reading" be a good option for me, and if so, what level should I start in? Or are there others that would be better?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
sight reading is a problem for everyone

you know why Liszt and a few others have magnificent sight reading skills? You would too had you learned to read music before even reading words and doing it at least 10 hours a day. Practice makes perfect.

so, just relax and enjoy your playing. Use the sheet as a reference for learning and during play...

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Have a look at the thread in the Adult Beginner's Forum titled "Returning to piano, advice on slow learning process" - that poster has an identical problem to yours, and several people, including yours truly, proffered advice.

To add to what I posted there, I'll just say that when I was at your stage, I'd bought volumes of the complete Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven piano sonatas, and spending many enjoyable hours just sight-reading through them. Many of the fast movements were too difficult for me technically, but almost all the slow movements were playable, and could be sight-read - sort of. I rapidly improved my sight-reading ability, as well as discovered a lot of great music in this manner. Pretty soon, I was adding the Schubert Moments musicaux and Impromptus and Sonatas, some Chopin (waltzes, mazurkas and nocturnes), Schumann (Kinderszenen, Arabeske, Op.12), Brahms (Op.117-118) etc to my volumes.

I didn't actually practice most of what I was looking at (i.e. sight-reading, but never thought of it as such, because I was having so much fun doing it) - only a few selected movements and individual pieces that really appealed to me: I only properly learnt a few complete Mozart and Beethoven Sonatas, the rest being single movements. But the biggest effect of all this was that my sight-reading improved rapidly - and in the most enjoyable manner imaginable for a teenager mad about classical music like I was...... grin

In other words, the more you do it - and enjoy doing it - the better you get at it. Personally, I don't see any point in buying sight-reading books for the sake of practicing sight-reading, when there's so much great music around to sight-read. Much better to practice sight-reading real music.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
OP Offline
P
I did read through that entire thread prior to posting this, and her problem isn't exactly identical to mine, I learn new songs very quickly.

C
C
Hey pianosNpreschooler,

I don't want to be sales-y, but your issues are exactly why I started www.SightReadingAcademy.com

Right now, I only have level 1 (corresponding with ABRSM levels), but I'll be releasing more very soon. The beauty of my system is that it delivers new music to you in your email inbox every single day (including unique and innovative exercises to help you read ahead), so that you never run out of unseen music to read.

But I have seen a gapping hole in sight reading education for more advanced levels (like yours), and that is why I am in the process of developing the Sight Reading BootCamp. I'll be releasing this in just a few weeks, but you should definitely considering signing up to be notified when it releases here: http://sightreadingacademy.com/bootcamp

This one will be around Level 8 material, and as soon as you are done with the 10 day bootcamp, you can continue getting new, level appropriate sight reading material every day, without ever worrying about running out.

Hope this is helpful!

Colin Thomson

Sight Reading Academy: Premium Account - Get started for free with this link: http://bit.ly/1gYoKWd
I think some kind of standardized sight reading course is a great idea. I too have this "problem", although common wisdom had me blaming myself and my laziness.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
I've just played the piano for about a year, so dont take me too seriously. I still can't sight read as good as I want too, but I still have some tips. First, you should sightread every single day. It doesn't need to be a whole piece but it should be at least 4 bars a day. My second tips is to get a pencil and write the name of the notes, underneath or above the notes throughout the whole piece. I did this for some pieces and it became easier and easier to sight read.

I hope this helped you a little bit.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by eirikg
I've just played the piano for about a year, so dont take me too seriously. I still can't sight read as good as I want too, but I still have some tips. First, you should sightread every single day. It doesn't need to be a whole piece but it should be at least 4 bars a day. My second tips is to get a pencil and write the name of the notes, underneath or above the notes throughout the whole piece. I did this for some pieces and it became easier and easier to sight read.

I hope this helped you a little bit.

I think that perhaps eirikg doesn't quite understand the meaning of "sight reading." Sight reading means being able to play a piece prima vista - at first sight - with a minimum number of mistakes and at an acceptable tempo. It does not mean repetitions of the piece to get it right; that is called practicing.

I don't like the idea of writing the names of the notes "throughout the whole piece." Indeed, I don't think that one should write the names of the notes at any time; that way, you'll never learn to read "at sight" if you have to write in the names of the notes before you can play them.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
OP Offline
P
When I was just starting to learn to read, it was good practice for me to go through music and write down the notes (but not play from the letters) That is not necessary for me now, because I can easily name an individual note, it's reading 5 or more at a time that's difficult for me.
I found some piano solo books at the library for sale for 50 cents each, mostly easy classical, and a few Martha Mier student books. I got 3 easy classical books(2 have over 100 pages, and the other one has over 50), which interestingly enough all seem to have different difficulties, so I started with the easiest, which I can play with reletive ease, but still challenges me. I'll also likely be switching teachers at my current teacher's suggestion, so I'll see what she'll do with me.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
To me, the sight reading threads here are sort of a mystery, because I've always thought of sight reading as a kind of self-regulating thing. You read at the level you can, and that level slowly rises. You gradually select more and more difficult music to read, because you can. It never occurred to me to "practice" sight reading, because once I learned the basics of notation, it was always so integrated into my musical interests that it never became a separate "thing".

To me, it is not unlike reading written text - once you know how, you just do it. And yes, you don't start off by reading "Finnegan's Wake" - you work your way through various levels of complexity.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by wr
To me, the sight reading threads here are sort of a mystery, because I've always thought of sight reading as a kind of self-regulating thing. You read at the level you can, and that level slowly rises. You gradually select more and more difficult music to read, because you can. It never occurred to me to "practice" sight reading, because once I learned the basics of notation, it was always so integrated into my musical interests that it never became a separate "thing".

To me, it is not unlike reading written text - once you know how, you just do it. And yes, you don't start off by reading "Finnegan's Wake" - you work your way through various levels of complexity.

That is very much the way I see and experience it. You learn to do it with very easy pieces and just keep doing it with progressively difficult material.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do you have any idea what aspect of sight reading you find difficult? In my breakdown there are two main parts- seeing what to play, and playing what you see. The first concerns seeing correctly which notes, intervals, accidentally, and fingering. The second concerns the physical aspect of playing the piano. Since you mention you learn pieces rather quickly I would guess it is something in the first part you are having trouble with. Do you spend any time before sight reading to look over the score? Do you look ahead far enough in the score so that if there is something more tricky to read that you have time to decipher it before you actually have to play it?

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
P
OP Offline
P
Interesting explanation of sight reading! When I sight read, I feel like I'm trying to split my brain in half. If I could just concentrate on the treble staff, or even just the sheet, it would be one thing, but having to also be aware of the keyboard. It is very difficult for me to play without looking at my hands at least sometimes. I also wonder if I'm not trying to sight read pieces that are really above my sight reading level. Even if I go super slow, I feel like my hands are running ahead of my brain, kind of like watching your feet when you walk, and running into a wall because of it, instead of looking ahead, and letting your feet do their job.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission