Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2328918 - Today at 05:18 AM Studio monitors for a digital piano
diegopefm Offline

Loc: Spain
Hello all, Iím new to the forum and I write here to ask a question about my digital piano studio monitors. My piano is a Korg PA588 and last year Iíve bought a pair of active studio monitors called ESI Near05

http://www.thomann.de/es/esi_near05_aktive_nahfeldmonitore.htm

but as I donít know much about sound Iím not sure it was a good buy, because I love pure crystal sound and Iím not very convinced with the resulting Near05 sound, the sound is kinda compressed. Now Iíve bought virtual piano Ivory II ďAmerican Concert DĒ and cannot appreciate the same brilliant sound in the monitors as in my Sony headphones.

Now checking my monitors specifications Iíve noticed that the frequency response is 60Hz - 20kHz while many others have a higher frequency response, like ESI Near08

http://www.thomann.de/es/esi_near_08_classic.htm

which have a frequency response of 40Hz - 24kHz, so I ask is it possible that this difference in frequency response between mine and Near08 (for example) is really significant and make a big difference in sound quality as to make it worth to try to sell mine and buy others? (cannot spend much money right now)

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

D.

Edited by diegopefm (Today at 07:34 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2328944 - Today at 09:16 AM Re: Studio monitors for a digital piano [Re: diegopefm]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Those sorts of specifications (60Hz - 20kHz) are really not very useful on their own. In any case, we can only hear up to 20kHz at the very most - if you are an adult, especially a musician who has been subjected to a lot of high decibels, you probably won't hear anything much above 8 or 10 kHz.

What is more important is the spectrum of sound within those limits. Your speakers look OK but perhaps not adequate to represent the sound of real instruments such as piano, giving the full range and depth of sound.

We find headphones - ones of good quality, costing in the 80 - 250 euro range, say, very good at representing digital pianos - far better than speakers of a similar cost.

I'm quite happy with these Yamaha monitors, which should be better than yours. Even so, I am aware that the sound range is limited and the speakers are great as a reference for other sound systems (that is what reference monitors are supposed to do, anyway)

http://www.thomann.de/es/yamaha_hs_7.htm

To get the sound you want, maybe you simply need to get larger, better designed, and consequently, more expensive speakers.

There are lots on the market - KRK, Yamaha, EV, JBL are a few names among very many. I think Behringer do well regarded monitors (their Truth range), too. Check those out, maybe.

http://www.thomann.de/es/behringer_b2030a_truth_aktivmonitor.htm

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2328976 - 23 minutes 56 seconds ago Re: Studio monitors for a digital piano [Re: diegopefm]
emenelton Online   content

The ESI NEAR 08 will have bass response , ESI NEAR 05 do not. But the two share the same tweeter and electronics so the over all sound will be similar. The 8" will probably not sound compressed though like the 5" as the 8" will have much better dynamics.
Toddy is correct to point you in the direction of the yamaha speakers if you are looking for a quality monitor.

#2328978 - 12 minutes 55 seconds ago Re: Studio monitors for a digital piano [Re: diegopefm]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I would suggest you try to get something from a local store where you can return them without incurring a cost for doing so.

Trying to find monitors to match the sound you get with headphones is basically not possible so if you start down that road get ready for disappointment and cost.

Good Luck

Current: ES7, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq 5

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Transcribe tune
by pianomise
1 minute 8 seconds ago
Musescore playing my dp ?
by Pollux
Today at 10:58 AM
helpers wanted, interactive PC piano teaching game
by russellambrose
Today at 08:40 AM
4 vs 3, Practice slow or fast?
by Pover
Today at 07:24 AM
Cable Nelson Upright
by Paul678
Today at 07:12 AM
Who's Online
133 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, acollins, ajames, aesop, Abby Pianoman, 40 invisible), 1441 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157624 Topics
2315226 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission