2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello. How much of a future, in your opinion, does piano support have (tuning, repair, restoration etc...). Do you believe that there will be ample work for piano technicians in the future?

I see what the US gov is saying about this here :http://www.bls.gov/oes/CURRENT/oes499063.htm

But I value your opinion. This is not a survey and will not be used as any such thing. This is purely for my information to understand more about the future potential of this fascinating field and perhaps consider a change of career now that I am in my 50s. My very best,/tony

We meet upon the level, and..you don't fear someone whose story you know!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you consider whatever the government says is true, you can have a great deal of confidence that the exact opposite is true. Take a look at the geographical data map. Half the states have no reportable data. That should tell you something.

In most areas if you are good at your craft, you will have work.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
We techs are safe for a decade at least. It is hard to say what kind of changes technology will bring and how the younger generations evolve into it. When (notice I didn't say "if") a suitable electronic keyboard is created which perfectly emulates a fine grand piano in touch and sound....all of us techs will eventually be history. Museums and curiosity keepsakes will not uphold a full workforce.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Virtually all piano techs are self-employed and the data does not appear to cover this. There will always be many naysayers in any industry - especially in ours that has undergone huge change in recent years. "The [successful] entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity." - Peter Drucker

Best wishes,

Last edited by bkw58; 09/24/14 09:11 AM. Reason: typo

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
tonyster220763 does your question refer to the USA only, or do you mean it to be worldwide? I think the situation may be quite different in China over the next twenty years from what it is is say the Republic of Congo.

In Britain in the early 1980s there were six colleges offering piano technology courses, along with whatever apprenticeships were offered by the surviving piano factories. Now there remains one college course, and no piano factories.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Emmery
We techs are safe for a decade at least. It is hard to say what kind of changes technology will bring and how the younger generations evolve into it. When (notice I didn't say "if") a suitable electronic keyboard is created which perfectly emulates a fine grand piano in touch and sound....all of us techs will eventually be history. Museums and curiosity keepsakes will not uphold a full workforce.

I've tried the latest digital pianos, and they still don't
quite have it yet.

But the engineers are getting closer, that's for sure.

Will be interesting to see when the ultimate digital piano
finally arrives....

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
And what about wind instruments? I invested in a wind controller this weekend. I can't believe the quality of the, admittedly pricey, sound banks. I spend years and years working on my sound. The top sound is now mine to buy! Oh, and you always play in tune.

Last edited by chopin_r_us; 09/24/14 04:04 PM.

Laissez tomber les mains
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
This concern has been in the world of instruments for centuries. Even the pipe organ, with all its expense and use of materials, is still unfaded by the most advanced technologies for reproduction. I don't believe true acoustic instruments will completely die off in favor of technology. After all, this technology needed something real in which to copy its identity from.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I think it's a money thing. The poorer amongst us have to put up with fakes.

Laissez tomber les mains
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Check out my article at http://howtotunepianos.com/2014/05/04/why-you-may-want-to-learn-how-to-tune-your-piano/

The truth is, the number of new piano sales has been dwindling since about 1978. A small part of this may be due to market saturation.

I believe the piano will never go out of favour; there will always be work for good technicians. But the numbers will continue to decrease.

In my short career, 15 years, I've seen a huge difference in my ability to increase my revenue. I was expecting more opportunity but it hasn't happened. This is one reason why I have branched out into teaching. I strongly believe there will be more of a demand for resources to learn this skill as it becomes harder and harder to find good technicians.

OP Offline
Thank you all for your input. Perhaps the drop in piano sales has to do with the fact that it is a difficult instrument to learn, as opposed to other popular instruments, and since our society has decided to take the easy track in almost everything, the piano may not be as popular as it once was when people prided themselves on addressing challenges. It is interesting how more and more pianists (and violinists), male and female are of oriental origin. Also, I note that the accoustic piano industry leaves much to be desired when in comes to marketing itself. The fact that piano factories are closing in the west whilst opening in the east just follows every other industry. Note the number of European companies that have been bought by eastern interests. GM may have gone that way if it wasn't saved by the US gov't. Bosendorfer is, if I recall, a division of Yamaha.
My main interest was in the US market but from some of the readings I have done here it seems that piano manufacturing is droping in the west (while increasing in China) but support services are alive and well (and impacted by the economic crisis like everything else). So if we do a trend analysis, there will be ample work for good technicians in the west...the pianos however will be manufactured in the east. (Mark, thanks for sharing your article...impressive work).

Last edited by tonyster220763; 09/25/14 08:17 AM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was talking about this recently with the owner of the local music store. He often talks about how the new piano market had bottomed out (at least around southeast Missouri). His store has been in business since the 1940s. It used to be common for them to sell four pianos a week he told me.

I believe the long lifespan of acoustic pianos, coupled with internet websites like Craigslist, Ebay and local "Buy Sell Trade" pages on Facebook have all brought to light just how many pianos are out there and still in decent shape. People can get these for next to nothing.

What I have noticed is that people who get a piano for "free" or next to nothing (barring any major defects) are willing to pay me a couple of hundred dollars or so to get the piano back in playable shape. These are often people who have a child starting piano lessons, but don't want to invest money on a new instrument until they see whether or not their child sticks with it.

So in my opinion, even though the new piano market may have tanked, piano tuning and repair will remain alive and well.

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ryan Hassell
I was talking about this recently with the owner of the local music store. He often talks about how the new piano market had bottomed out (at least around southeast Missouri). His store has been in business since the 1940s. It used to be common for them to sell four pianos a week he told me.

I believe the long lifespan of acoustic pianos, coupled with internet websites like Craigslist, Ebay and local "Buy Sell Trade" pages on Facebook have all brought to light just how many pianos are out there and still in decent shape. People can get these for next to nothing.

What I have noticed is that people who get a piano for "free" or next to nothing (barring any major defects) are willing to pay me a couple of hundred dollars or so to get the piano back in playable shape. These are often people who have a child starting piano lessons, but don't want to invest money on a new instrument until they see whether or not their child sticks with it.

So in my opinion, even though the new piano market may have tanked, piano tuning and repair will remain alive and well.

Precisely! thumb

"Your big opportunity may be right where you are now."
-Napoleon Hill

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D

Depends on your definition of 'alive and well'. If by 'alive and well' you mean a bouyant market sector employing lots of full-time workers, then I disagree, at least for the UK, the USA and Europe.

OP Offline
David, I take it you've seen changes in the last couple of years ?

M
M
If we knew how the supply houses were doing maybe that would be a better indicator.
As far as those carcasses that are hauled home to see if the child will develop
an interest, good luck. Though it is amazing how these old uprights can continue
to function somewhat for decades with no intervention. I like the old lady who
says "I love the action!" and it's so out of whack I can't play it. But I don't feel
it's up to me to convince them what a miserable piece of junk they have sitting in
their living room. So as requested I "just tune it". Maybe one of these times I'll
go tune the "couple of notes" they think really need it.

Working on being a retired piano tuner.
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
[quote]If we knew how the supply houses were doing maybe that would be a better indicator.[/quote]

After well over a century of trading from the same address in Bayham Street in London, one of the two remaining UK supply houses has moved out and drastically downsized to a one-man operation working as a home-based business.

That leaves only one full supply house in the UK (Fletcher & Newman), the Renner UK operation having stopped some time ago.

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
[quote]David, I take it you've seen changes in the last couple of years ?[/quote]

In October 2009 the last piano factory in the UK closed; Kemble (owned for the last twenty or so years of its life by Yamaha).

The only piano making left in the UK is a little artisan craftsman stuff. No factories.

Changes have been over the last two or three decades rather than the last two or three years.

Six college courses in piano technology in the mid 1980s have dwindled to one. I'm not aware of any piano shops who employ full-time tuners. I think the vast majority of tuners are self-employed.

A few weeks ago I was in conversation with another tuner in this part of the world who, like me, also has a background in teaching. He made the observation that "All the guys who are doing this, they all have wives with 'proper jobs'"!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
[quote=Mark Cerisano, RPT]

...In my short career, 15 years, I've seen a huge difference in my ability to increase my revenue. I was expecting more opportunity but it hasn't happened. This is one reason why I have branched out into teaching. I strongly believe there will be more of a demand for resources to learn this skill as it becomes harder and harder to find good technicians.
[/quote]

We have been turning out a fairly consistant and sizeable amount of techs here in Canada from UWO's great program and from George Brown College years before. A large number of these techs don't remain in the market and find it too thin for pickings and competitive. If the market ever swings in their favour, I think quite a few of them would consider going back into it, something up and coming techs would have to additionally deal with....if it ever happens.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
What goes down, must come up!

All piano makers, tuners, and techs will likely one day owe
Lang Lang a big thanks!

He's an international piano Rockstar, and has supposedly inspired
40 million kids to begin playing Classical piano.

So let's keep positive everyone! The piano is due for
a comeback and resurgence!

:grin: :thumb:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission