2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Jonathan, thanks for the excellent suggestions and observations. I do ask where the keyboard is located, suggest specific practice times, and outline practice times as well as how to practice. I like your requirement that parents sit in on lessons. My store is located in a shopping mall, so parents drop the child off and go shopping during the lessons. I even had parents drop their child off for a meet and greet, fully intending to go shopping, but I pull them in (not literally!) and request that they sit in on the meet and greet.

When parents sit in, I also include them if necessary, during the lesson, and during the last 5 minutes, go over requirements for the week with the parent.

It is a sad truth that the students who progress the slowest often have parents that never ask about their progress, make excuses for them, and put piano at the bottom of the list of priorities of extracurricular activities.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows
The student did select the piece which was in the Current Hits book that also included her recital piece. It was the same level, and she also had an "edge" because she knew the song (as she did with her recital piece).

It may or may not be an "edge" for the student to know the song before playing the piece. It depends on how close the arrangement is to the original. I've seen so many of these simplified arrangements that also simplify the rhythm, so the kids play what they hear in their head rather than what's written on the page.

I tend to assign pop arrangements that are a level or 2 below what the kids are currently playing, especially for kids who are already poorly prepared for each lesson--they are not really at the said level. I also try to get books from different publishers or a totally different "level" system, just in case it's one of those students who would say, "Hey, why are you giving me a level 2 piece? I'm on level 4."

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
removed

Last edited by Candywoman; 09/25/14 12:19 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Parts of an email exchange with my coordinator at school, two years ago, concerning a 7th grade girl who skipped a LOT and liked to play on her cuteness more than on the keyboard--

To: Coordinator
Subject: K B's piano lessons

KB'smom called me this evening, complaining that she is just now hearing of a recital. I apologized that she missed the information, including an email a month ago that you were cc'd on, but that KB had been handed a bookmark type "pass" for a "wonderful recital" and had seen the printed program, plus she and I had discussed what music she would play.

Mom then complained about the soccer schedule and how it keeps changing. I pointed out that KB's Wednesday slot was still open if she could not come to the new Monday time we opened jsut for her.

She then asked about make-up lessons, since KB had been sick once. I suggested a Friday make-up, but mom did not seem to like that idea.

She then said that KB was not enjoying her lessons and she always had before with other teachers, and now she says she is not learning anything. I responded that each week KB would come without an assignment notebook and scattered papers, or completely empty handed, and excuses as to why she had not practiced. I provided assignment notebook paper for her and wrote out lessons and worksheets, and chose music with her input. And then I told mom that the following week, nothing had been done- no theory, no answers to handwritten worksheets, no music marked, nothing. And yet I never complained and we just went on from there.

Mom may be asking for a refund, but I believe I have done my part in communicating and teaching.

My own children were with me and also heard the phone call, as it was on speaker phone in the car, and (son) especially was rather aghast at the mom's attitude.

KB seems to be a very sweet girl. I would be happy to speak with you and mom and KB all together, if need be.

Thanks!
any advice?

MissBelle

Belle-
Sounds like you have do everything to make it a successful experience for KB. It seems they are over committed and are blaming you so don’t take it personally. I have not heard a word from them. If I do I’ll let you know and have her come directly to you so there is no miscommunication. Sports is a challenge with private lessons when they announce the schedule on a weekly basis! It is frustrating but goes with the territory. Don’t change what you are doing I think it is more than accommodating. Friday makeups are perfect and are really the only times we have an extra piano available. It is what it is. I will not issue refunds unless it is because of the teacher at this point.
Thanks for keeping me informed,
Coordinator
School Name

End result?
KB quit before the semester was over, but I still got paid for the full semester because that is the blessing of working at my school. The curse is that I get any kind of student, with no say so.

KB is now is high school and still trying to play cute instead of doing schoolwork. I do not miss working with her. Or, should I say, not working with her! smile

Learning as I teach.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission