2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
ernani Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I am checking the possibility of buying a Yamaha Grand from Russell at Piano-outlet in Florida. That means I will have to rely on reputation and photos/video for the decision making (we live in Massachusetts), and piano will be shipped to me.

I Would love to have some references and personal experience from people who had dealt with him. I have very recently had a very bad experience buying locally (private party - musician and director of music school and VERY dishonest), and now am extra careful.

Any input or information will be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
While Yamaha pianos - new ones, that is - are among the most consistent in manufacture from one piano to the next, I cannot think of any circumstances where I would buy a piano unseen and unplayed. Even among well-made instruments, each piano is different in tonal character and you have to be sure, by playing, that you like the piano you buy.

If the piano arrives from Florida and is not to your liking, or if there are problems that have developed during shipment, what is your recourse? Even if the dealer has a relatively good reputation, I would never buy a piano I haven't seen and played, and played extensively. A good dealer will have the piano well prepped and tuned to the purchaser's liking, as much as possible, and will solve any potential problems before the piano leaves the showroom.

Moreover, Piano Outlet sells primarily "previously owned" pianos. That's a major reason to know the history of the piano, how it has been prepared for re-sale, what its condition is.
In summary: you can't buy a piano from a video; this whole plan sounds like a very bad idea!

That's just my opinion, of course.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
E
ernani Offline OP
OP Offline
E
BruceD,

Thanks for your detailed reply, which I totally accept and understand. I am not the pianist and am buying the piano for my young son. My recent experience taught me that I cannot really judge a piano even after seeing it! The specific dealer (Russell) claims he allows a technician to check the piano upon it's arrival and I can refuse the delivery if condition is not satisfactory. He offers 5 years warranty as well. From here on it is all trust and reputation, which is why I am asking forum members for their input.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
It is indeed infinitely preferable to choose a piano in person. Russell of the Piano Outlet has a number of short videos on youtube in which he promotes the pianos he has for sale.
Even when choosing a new piano, I would prefer to try several examples of the same model as all pianos are slightly different in sound and touch.

Of course smaller dealers do not usually provide this kind of choice.

However, a piano is a major investment and if you are looking at a new Yamaha, I would suggest trying instruments at a Yamaha dealership offering a full range of models. It is so important to find a piano with which you are completely happy and well worth the extra effort involved.

Kind regards,

Robert.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Perhaps the "trust and reputation" portion of the OP's question would best be addressed through PMs - particularly if there is something less than positive to convey. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
E
ernani Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Carey,
Thanks for your idea. I will appreciate getting opinion via PM (private message).

Originally Posted by ernani
BruceD,

Thanks for your detailed reply, which I totally accept and understand. I am not the pianist and am buying the piano for my young son. My recent experience taught me that I cannot really judge a piano even after seeing it! The specific dealer (Russell) claims he allows a technician to check the piano upon it's arrival and I can refuse the delivery if condition is not satisfactory. He offers 5 years warranty as well. From here on it is all trust and reputation, which is why I am asking forum members for their input.

This is what I found in their E-bay ad....

"By entering into this agreement to purchase a Piano from the Piano Outlet, Inc., you hereby agree to the following terms stated contained herein: 1) Although we provide used pianos of superior quality, the realities of merchandise transactions in the e-commerce world require that we advise you that ALL MERCHANDISE REFERRED TO HEREIN IS "USED" AND CONSEQUENTLY IS SOLD "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF FITNESS OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, MERCHANTABILITY OR ANY OTHER WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. You are further advised that descriptions of the merchandise are general in nature and are not intended to be complete description of the merchandise offered for sale. You are invited to personally inspect the merchandise or retain a qualified professional to inspect the merchandise on your behalf. If during the first fifteen days from the date you receive the piano, it does not meet with your expectation, the Piano Outlet will refund you money less freight charges for the return payable upon return to the Piano Outlet of the Piano. You agree that your sole exclusive remedy in all instances related hereto will be limited to a refund of the purchase price less any freight required to return the piano to our show room as stated above. 2) You hereby irrevocably consents to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Florida located in Broward County, Florida in connection with any dispute, action or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Agreement, any document or instrument delivered pursuant to, in connection with, or simultaneously with this agreement, or any breach of this Agreement or any other such document or instrument. 3) This Agreement shall be governed by internal laws of the State of Florida which shall govern the validity of this Agreement, the construction of its terms and interpretation of the rights and duties of the parties, without giving effect to the principals governing conflicts of laws. 4) This Agreement constitutes the sole and entire agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter hereof, and supersedes all prior understandings, agreements, and documentation relating to the subject matter hereof. This Agreement may be amended only by an instrument executed by the authorized representatives of both parties. 5) If any provision of this Agreement or the application thereof to any situation or circumstance, shall be invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of this Agreement or application of such provision to a situation or a circumstance, other than those as to which it is invalid or unenforceable, shall not be effected; and each remaining provision of this Agreement shall be valid and enforceable to the extent permitted by law."

I don't see any reference to a 5 year warranty. And it would appear that if you wanted to return the piano you'd be responsible for all shipping costs. Perhaps they handle things differently when NOT selling on E-Bay.

Just wondering - have you exhausted all of the Yamaha dealers in your own state? smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If pianos were a "mail order" commodity, Amazon would sell them.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Guapo Gabacho
If pianos were a "mail order" commodity, Amazon would sell them.

Ali Baba does.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
No used piano should be purchased unless the buyer has a technician (working for the buyer) inspect it.

Any piano (no matter the original manufacturer or model) could have been in a fire, flood or stored in a basement. It could have been dropped, left on an unheated truck in -30 degrees or on a train car in the desert. In a used piano, condition is EVERYTHING.

Also dealer warranties that have no manufacturer behind them are only as good as the financial stability/health of the dealer.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
M
M
Hello, I would be more than happy to help and or advise and I do also live in Massachusetts, so before you buy sight unseen I would recommend initially that you check out the variety of Boston area piano stores selling new , pre-owned and restored pianos. Good luck.

Head Piano Technician and Restorer at Boston University School of Music 1986-2019 . Now relocated to Burlington Vermont, check www.snowpianos.com 617 543 1030.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The short answer to your question is travelocity.com

Then you and your son can know for sure the instrument is a good fit. I don't know what your budget is but travel is often an expense associated with selecting an instrument. If you can afford it, go have him play it.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
Originally Posted by S. Phillips
... In a used piano, condition is EVERYTHING.

Also dealer warranties that have no manufacturer behind them are only as good as the financial stability/health of the dealer.

This is a key point (pun intended). The dealer may indeed seem financially stable, but stability is often fragile in this business. We have seen examples of bankruptcy voiding house warranties and even voiding deliveries after monies have been paid.

I'm curious about the age of the young pianist for whom the piano is intended. Is there a reason why the young fellow isn't involved in the choice. Is this a surprise of some sort? If not, there are good arguments for involving the future user in the choice in some way. That's what I did, and the youngster learned a lot.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
I was in Boston recently, and I ended up staying out in the suburbs (Natick). On my way in and out of the city, and traveling through the suburbs too, I was surprised how many piano stores I saw--many more than in my neck of the woods. I would think you ought to be able to find something locally. Also, I understand that you had a bad experience with a private sale, but don't let that scare you off--just hire a technician to check a piano out for you. That goes for a 2nd hand piano from a dealer too, if you want to. When you are planning to spend a lot of money, 150 (+/-) for an inspection is money well spent. And as others have said, I'd recommend against buying something you haven't seen/heard yourself. You mention above that you don't play and can't judge it yourself, and that's all the more reason to have it evaluated by someone who can.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

E
ernani Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Carey: Thanks. While not on ebay conditions of sale, I was told one gets this in writing prior to purchase. I do not intent to buy on ebay. Martin Snow: I will PM - thanks. Piano-dad: young pianist is 10 ears old. Thanks to everybody for their input. I understand the reluctance of buying a piano sight unseen, though many on this forum reported good experiences. This is why I hoped for comments from people who had first hand experience with Piano Outlet, which I am still hoping to get. Thanks as well to those who have sent me private messages.

Ernani,

My son was a little over 12 when I started a piano search. He was an integral part of it, and we took our time. I think he learned quite a bit about the instrument and about a wide variety of brands. I did not hand him the check book, but his opinion mattered. If you're not in a rush, you may find the search a good opportunity for some serious -- and seriously fun -- family outings. If you need something in the house quickly, that's another matter.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I have to say that I cannot imagine why someone who lives in Massachusetts would be buying a piano sight unseen (or ear unheard) from Florida in the first place. The Northeast has many cities with fabulous piano stores in them. I would recommend shopping around before making such a major decision. It is one thing to have the option of returning a sweater one buys and does not like; it is quite another to return a piano!

D
D
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
I have to say that I cannot imagine why someone who lives in Massachusetts would be buying a piano sight unseen (or ear unheard) from Florida in the first place. The Northeast has many cities with fabulous piano stores in them. I would recommend shopping around before making such a major decision. It is one thing to have the option of returning a sweater one buys and does not like; it is quite another to return a piano!

Maybe OP found a good deal from this store.

I was recently found a good deal in a California store....I believe a very reputable store with a respected/knowledgeable dealer, but he suggested me not to buy it without taking a look first, which I cannot do. So, I gave up.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by dcnm50
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur

Maybe OP found a good deal from this store.

I was recently found a good deal in a California store....I believe a very reputable store with a respected/knowledgeable dealer, but he suggested me not to buy it without taking a look first, which I cannot do. So, I gave up.

As your second sentence confirms, it's only a good deal not only if the price is right but also if you know that you like the piano before you buy it. One wouldn't know that without trying the piano.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
As to the OP’s original question, no, I have not had any dealings with Russell Housen at Piano Outlet in Florida; but I did exchange a few emails with him back when I was actively shopping for a piano, as I did with Rick Jones at the time; both seemed like nice enough individuals. It is my thinking that he (Russell Housen) has been in business for a while now (as has Rick Jones) and his business seems to be thriving. I’m not sure if that is any consolation to the OP, and is only my opinion.

Although the consensus of the forum seems to be that it is unwise to buy an expensive piano sight unseen, it is not unheard of, in spite of the risks. Not everyone has options that are affordable locally, or at least in their own minds.

Not everyone has the ability or desire to travel long distances to try out a piano. However, when I was looking for a piano I did consider the option. In the end, I could not bring myself to buy an expensive piano sight unseen.

With that said, and since that time, I have purchased a piano sight unseen, with good results, although it was not my primary instrument. I took a gamble and it paid off, at least in my own mind. I would not recommend it to others unless they realize and understand the risks involved.

Okay, that’s my .02… smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission