Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2331956 - 09/28/14 05:31 PM Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8?
thercman Offline

Loc: Spokane WA, United States
Hey guys!

I am considering one of these as my next board and here are my initial thoughts. For the 88 key versions I believe Roland has the best key bed followed by Yamaha and lastly Korg. Roland has the most on board sounds and the easiest interface. It also has an SD card slot with card included. Yamaha has some nice piano sounds and the application to integrate with a DAW. You can also add a card for additional storage and upload sounds. Korg has some sweet synth sounds, SD card slot and is the least expensive of the three.

Overall each of three has sounds that I really like and others that aren't so impressive. So it's sort of a wash for me in that respect. One thing that I am having a hard time finding info on is their DAW compatibility and work flow. They are workstations after all but people seem to over look that aspect in reviews etc.

I know much of this is going to be subjective but if you have experience with any or all of these boards I would love to get your thoughts on them.

Cheers,
Greg

Edited by thercman (09/28/14 06:08 PM)

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2331965 - 09/28/14 05:48 PM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: thercman]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If you want a good keybed, look at Yamaha. I have played the MOX8 (not F8) and Krome, and I did not like the feel of Krome.

If you're talking sounds, it's my understanding that Yamaha is great for acoustic instrument sounds, Korg is good for more synth-type sounds. As for Roland, I haven't played the FA-08, but they usually sounds great too.

With regards to compatibility with DAWs, Yamaha is supposed to be well-integrated with Cubase, but it's not easy to get going, IMO. Of course, that could just be my lack of experience in using DAWs and MIDI in general. I don't know if the other boards are easier or if what I am experiencing is just due to my own lack of understanding.

Not sure if the SD card thing is really as useful as USB stick.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2331970 - 09/28/14 06:11 PM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: thercman]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
I can tell you that the DAW integration on the FA-08 is awesome. Your entire 16 tracks can be individually exported as WAV files to your DAW for mixing and mastering, after you lay them down in the built in sequencer. This process is very user friendly. The built in SP-404SX style sampler is also very useful.

Also make sure you check out the Axial website:

Here's a page dedicated to FREE sound expansions for the FA-06/08: http://axial.roland.com/category/fa-06_fa-08/

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2332047 - Yesterday at 12:02 AM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: Jay Roland]
thercman Offline

Jay,

I am very much leaning to the FA-06/08. One thing that I would love to have is escapement for the added abilities such as slides on guitars etc.. I know the FA-08 has it but does the FA-06 have escapement as well? I am really considering a light weight form factor that I can carry with me.

Cheers,
Greg

#2332051 - Yesterday at 12:22 AM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: thercman]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
Escapement isn't designed to do slides. The slides on some of the tones on the FA-series are velocity based. So the FA-06 will do the slides as well as the 08.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2332059 - Yesterday at 12:42 AM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: Jay Roland]
thercman Offline

Err oops! Don't know what I was thinking... whistle That what happens after watching hours of keyboard reviews online...

#2332062 - Yesterday at 12:54 AM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: thercman]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
thercman, perhaps you're thinking of Aftertouch on the keyboard?

This allows an extra degree of expression for playing synth or orchestral sounds, whereby you press a little harder after reaching the bottom of the key stroke, and this added pressure triggers an effect or different sound etc.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2332063 - Yesterday at 12:58 AM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: Kawai James]
thercman Offline

Yes James, that was absolutely what I was thinking! I am not sure if the FA-08/06 can do that or not.

Edit: From what I have found thus far this is not a feature. Maybe Jay can confirm this...

Edited by thercman (Yesterday at 01:31 AM)

#2332150 - Yesterday at 09:57 AM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: thercman]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No aftertouch on any of the models you're comparing. The only 88 workstation in that price range with aftertouch is the Kurzweil PC3LE8. But it looks like that's being phased out and is getting harder to find. Also, unfortunately, it is not a lightweight board like the others you're looking at, it's a tubby 54 lbs.

However, if you're going to pair your lightweight 88 with a second board as many people do (if for no other reason than a fully weighted action is not ideal for many non-piano sounds, particularly organ), one possibility is to pick a second board with aftertouch, and use it to trigger sounds in your 88. Most boards that don't have aftertouch still recognize aftertouch over MIDI.

#2332371 - Yesterday at 10:09 PM Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: thercman]
thercman Offline

Thanks Scott!

I went to GC today and another local dealer to check out the boards. I probably should have taken my headphones but it was kind of an after thought to make the trip. The only boards I could sample were the MOXF8 and the Krome. I must say I wasn't impressed with either of them. I didn't like the action of either and sounds didn't seem all the great. Not having headphones was probably a big contributing factor. With that said I have no way of checking out the Roland since the GC here is limited on their inventory. So if I want to try it I have to buy it. *sigh* The good thing is that based on the many hours of research I have done, it seems like the Roland is the one I would buy and probably in the 61 key variety... This process has been a bit of an eye opener for me as well. While I like the ideas of having a portable 61 key, the synth/organ sounds and the price, I really seem to gravitate towards stage pianos. So I am undecided on what I want at this point. The RD 800 is calling my name though. lol

Edited by thercman (Yesterday at 10:12 PM)

#2332504 - 18 minutes 45 seconds ago Re: Korg Krome, Roland FA-08 or Yamaha MOXF8? [Re: thercman]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: thercman
Thanks Scott!

I went to GC today and another local dealer to check out the boards. I probably should have taken my headphones but it was kind of an after thought to make the trip. The only boards I could sample were the MOXF8 and the Krome. I must say I wasn't impressed with either of them. I didn't like the action of either and sounds didn't seem all the great. Not having headphones was probably a big contributing factor. With that said I have no way of checking out the Roland since the GC here is limited on their inventory. So if I want to try it I have to buy it. *sigh* The good thing is that based on the many hours of research I have done, it seems like the Roland is the one I would buy and probably in the 61 key variety... This process has been a bit of an eye opener for me as well. While I like the ideas of having a portable 61 key, the synth/organ sounds and the price, I really seem to gravitate towards stage pianos. So I am undecided on what I want at this point. The RD 800 is calling my name though. lol

If you are considering the RD-800, then you should look at some other DPs that are in that category. The MOXFs are entry-level workstations, not digital pianos, so the action is not going to be very piano-like. Also, since the MOXF is entry-level, it has the sounds of the MOTIFs but the limitations of the MOXF means those sounds aren't going to be as great. Still, they're not terrible. I'm sure the sound system they were hooked up to didn't do them justice. However, it is their lowest end DP action. Same with Krome. These are intended to be more of a synth with 88 keys.

The RD-800 is a digital piano with some synth capabilities - lots of sounds, and some recording possibilities, but mostly intended for live performances rather than music production. Other DPs that are competitive with this line are the Yamaha CP4 and Kawai MP7. If action is of paramount importance to you and sounds are not (if you're using a DAW, many come with their own VSTs or you can get VSTs to get the sounds you want), then the Kawai MP11 is probably the best out there IMO.

So it all depends on what you want this DP for.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
09/30/14 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
09/30/14 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
09/30/14 02:28 AM
Who's Online
106 registered (angusperde, AlexChase, A Guy, 36251, Al LaPorte, 29 invisible), 1302 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157879 Topics
2318721 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission