2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AaronH Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a digital piano for my apartment. The room I had to put it in is the same room with my clothes dryer. It is a big room, so isn't as bad as it seems.

If I run the dryer with my balcony door closed, the windows fog up as condensation builds on them, which says that the air is humid. Usually I have the balcony door open and this condensation does not occur.

I was wondering based off this description, if I leave open my balcony door will the condensation effect the digital piano at all, and what can I do to protect it(ie. I may leave it switched off while drying each week and cover it with a sheet).

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Doesn't your dryer have a vent to the outside rather than having to just vent into the room? Most of the time you can buy a hose attachment and have it push the air through a vent to the outside.

Even if your DP lacks any wood components, there is felt and possibly glue that could be affected by excessive humidity or extreme changes in humidity.

If the DP is a slab type, you may want to remove it to turn on the dryer, but this can become quite the hassle.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
AaronH Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The way it is set up it vents into the room. It is a big room, the dryer is in a small cupboard that opens up into the main room.

I'll take a picture when I am home. The piano is a CA65, so it is made of wood.

When I leave the balcony door open I don't notice any condensation forming anywhere, and haven't had problems with electronics in the past while it is running.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't take chances with the CA65.

It is a very bad idea to let a dryer vent into a room/house. For one it is a potential fire hazard and another all the moisture and fine lint particles could lead to mold and respiratory issues.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
M
M
Originally Posted by Vid
I wouldn't take chances with the CA65.

It is a very bad idea to let a dryer vent into a room/house. For one it is a potential fire hazard and another all the moisture and fine lint particles could lead to mold and respiratory issues.

Yes, if you rent, the landlord should get this resolved and bring it up to code.

With a CA65, you are dealing with wood parts indeed and it's not very mobile, so either resolve the dryer issue or put the piano in another room.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I would worry only if you often leave the balcony door close. The wood is affected by humidity with time. Also metal parts might rust. But only in long term. Many many years.

Since generally people use dryers 1 or 2 hours a day, might not be a big deal.

Just leave door open when dryer is on, and should be fine.

If the door most stay close while using dryer, might be good idea not use the digital piano. Some electronics even say they should not be use with high humidity. Maybe because water can condensate on circuit boards and cause a short?

Good luck.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
If you _must_ leave the piano in the same room as the dryer:

. . . Leave it turned on all the time.

That will keep the circuit boards slightly warm, and reduce any condensation.

The wooden case is going to be a problem. I would phone (or e-mail) Kawai, and see what they suggest. Or wait for Kawai James to respond . . .

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
A
AaronH Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The place I rent at is a large multi story apartment building(28 floors), so it is a standardised design.

The dryer does have a lint filter so the lint shouldn't be an issue, but it is annoying not to have the dryer vent outside.

The only other place I could put it is in the bedroom, but it is right next to the bathroom which would expose it to humidity from the shower daily.

I do only run the dryer for 2 hours once a week, and I leave the balcony door open. I may try turning the heat down on it. If I leave the piano off while I am using the dryer and cover it, as long as it lasts a few years I'll be happy. I would hope in a well ventilated environment, little use of the dryer and extra prevention I will be able to mostly preserve it.

Thank you for all the help so far. :)

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Or wait for Kawai James to respond . . .

I'm afraid I don't have a great deal to contribute beyond what has been mentioned already.

AaronH, if you have any concerns, I would contact Kawai Australia to ask their opinion.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
If you _must_ leave the piano in the same room as the dryer:

. . . Leave it turned on all the time.

. Charles
LOL I thought at first you meant leave the dryer on all the time! wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Maybe running a dehumidifier in the room whenever you dry would help too. Can't hurt to do that for 2 hours a week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you're looking for the code, here's the code:

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_15_sec002.htm

Btw - a dryer vents a gallon of water on an average load.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
My piano is in the same room with my beer-fridge. I've noticed that after a dozen or so beers -in me- the piano starts to wobble.

A
AaronH Offline OP
OP Offline
A
[img:center]http://i.imgur.com/bVhc99s.jpg[/img]

This is the setup. Piano is on the left, dryer is on the right.

The codes are interesting, do they apply in Australia?

P
P
I would invest in a dehumidifier even if I did not have an expensive DP in the room. It would solve the problem of excessive moisture in your apartment. The one I have is also a clothes drier. You put all your clothes on a maiden and then set the dehumidifier to dry. It does take longer for your clothes to dry, but you could then sell your tumble drier to pay for the dehumidifier. This is the model I have.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecoair-DD12...8081&sr=1-16&keywords=Prem-I-Air

Phil

M
M
Originally Posted by AaronH
[Linked Image]

This is the setup. Piano is on the left, dryer is on the right.

The codes are interesting, do they apply in Australia?

I'm sure a little googling would provide that answer for you, but my guess is that they have similar codes.

The better you treat your instrument, the better it will treat you smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...The place I rent at is a large multi story apartment building(28 floors), so it is a standardised design..."

It would not be the first time that large multi story apartment buildings (28 floors) have been built to a standardized design that didn't work out so well. Too bad I can't think of that catchy name for the TV show about disastrous mistakes, but no doubt you'll see it on cable one of these days. The one that comes to mind was a big apartment block in England whose floors were held together only by gravity--- no fasteners whatsoever. (It wasn't blueprinted that way.) Someone's gas clothes drier blew up one upper floor, and the building unzipped itself, floor by floor, and fell down. Whoops!

The previous poster was correct in saying that venting a clothes drier to the room air is unhealthful for the occupant, the building, and the furniture. The workaround is better than nothing--- go to the hardware or appliance store and get a clothes drier vent pipe. They're collapsible, some kinds are made of plastic-covered wire, and they're about 4" around in any length you need. Having attached that to your appliance, it can stay in the closet (another questionable choice by the builders), and only the end need go out the window while the drier is in use.

Clef

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Is that a ventless dryer? There are such things. And I see a vent facing into the room at the top of the dryer which makes me think it doesn't actually have an external hookup. That would make more sense than pushing a normally vented (meaning, outside vented) dryer into that alcove because that would be a fire waiting to happen. I think the dehumidifier idea is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
The one that comes to mind was a big apartment block in England whose floors were held together only by gravity--- no fasteners whatsoever. (It wasn't blueprinted that way.) Someone's gas clothes drier blew up one upper floor, and the building unzipped itself, floor by floor, and fell down. Whoops!

Wow, sounds nasty! Where was that, just out of interest?

Aaron's apartment looks very cool though - I bet the view from that window and balcony is terrific!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Don't see the big deal. Couple of hours per week with high humidity is not the end of the world for the digital piano or any furniture or electronic. Specially if he leave the balcony door open while dryer is ON.

A duct to exhaust dryer air to the exterior would be ideal, but we don't know if he have the space for that. Is not like the dryer is next to an outside window. And those exhaust ducts get quite hot BTW. Is too much work. Maybe overkill.

Keep life simple and enjoy.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission