2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
SP6NIN Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi,

The manual on page 44 says: "The metronome 'click' sound will not be recorder, however drum patterns will be recorded".

Unfortunately, my Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns.

The version is: KP683G CA95 EU V2.01

Could any of the CA95's owners check if it works?

Thanks,
Marek

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Marek,

I will have to double-check this, but it could be that the owner's manual is incorrect.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
SP6NIN Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello James,

Thanks for the answer. Please pay attention, that the manual informs about this feature in tw more places:

Pages 29 and 45:
It is also possible to record songs with the metronome activated. This is useful when recording parts separately, or wishing to maintain correct timing throughout complex passages. Note that the standard metronome ‘click’ will not be heard when the song is played back, however if a drum rhythm is selected, the pattern will be heard.

If the intention would be that metronome 'click' will not be heared during playback this information would be incorrect because metronome and rhythm are heard during the playback with no limit.

So, the above information rather suggests that recorded rhythm can be heard during playback but the metronome not.

For the comparison with the Yamaha CLP-585, rhythm can be recorded along the music. There is the settings Yes/No if the rhythm is to be recorded or not.

I will look forward for you information about this feature.

Thanks,
Marek

Marek
Hello Marek,

Thank you for your addition follow-up.

I recall clarifying this point with the CA95/CA65 project leader when writing the owner's manual, so either this is a bug, or I misinterpreted his explanation.

Kind regards,
James
x

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can confirm OP's issue.

I checked my firmware version and I'm on 1.07. It turns out that there have been two firmware updates released, which I hadn't heard about:

Originally Posted by firmware changelog
V2.01 (August 2014)
- Corrected the ‘Tripple Delay’ noise that could occur at Power On.
V2.00 (May 2014)
- Fixed issue that could stop the playback of SMF files unexpectedly.

I wonder why it got a major version change number, to 2.00 rather than 1.08, when it just fixes one small issue.

Also, how have they chosen which issues to fix? I have never noticed either of the issues above. But I have highlighted other issues that are actually important, for example the tempo on songs not being recorded, damper noises being played at full volume when receiving data over MIDI, and the triple sensor stopping working under certain circumstances. Are they not aware of these issues?

I got the impression from KJ's posts that work on the CA95 firmware had basically stopped, but if they do intend to fix bugs, is it worth my time to compile a list? Like, will the CA95 team leader actually look at it and at least provide a response, even if it's to say they can't fix it for whatever reason?

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Marek,

I double-checked this point and confirmed with R&D that the CA95/CA65 (and CS10/CS7) internal song recorder does not record drum patterns, due to the proprietary MIDI format used for internal songs. However, when using the USB memory recorder, the drum patterns will be recorded to the MP3/WAV audio file.

As you have found, there was a mistake in earlier versions of the CA95/CA65 owner's manual that incorrectly stated that drum patterns would be recorded when using both the internal song and USB memory recorders. This point was corrected in the latest CA95/CA65 owner's manual, available from the following URL:

http://www.kawai-global.com/support/manuals.html

My apologies for the error, and any inconvenience caused by this mistake.

Kind regards,
James
x

lolatu, regarding the CA95/CA65 updates,

Originally Posted by lolatu
I wonder why it got a major version change number, to 2.00 rather than 1.08, when it just fixes one small issue.

I'm afraid I don't know. I presume it's possible that there are more changes related to hardware revisions (i.e. that do not affect the operation of the instrument) that are not documented in the changelog.

Originally Posted by lolatu
But I have highlighted other issues that are actually important, for example the tempo on songs not being recorded, damper noises being played at full volume when receiving data over MIDI, and the triple sensor stopping working under certain circumstances. Are they not aware of these issues?

If the issues are correctly reported and deemed to affect a number of users (i.e. several owners report the same issue), I expect they will be fixed. However I do not work in the product planning division, so it's difficult for me to make a judgement.

Kind regards,
James
x

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Marek,

I double-checked this point and confirmed with R&D that the CA95/CA65 (and CS10/CS7) internal song recorder does not record drum patterns, due to the proprietary MIDI format used for internal songs. However, when using the USB memory recorder, the drum patterns will be recorded to the MP3/WAV audio file.

As you have found, there was a mistake in earlier versions of the CA95/CA65 owner's manual that incorrect stated that drum patterns would be recorded when using both the internal song and USB memory recorders. This point was corrected in the latest CA95/CA65 owner's manual, available from the following URL:

http://www.kawai-global.com/support/manuals.html

My apologies for the error, and any inconvenience caused by this mistake.

Kind regards,
James
x

This is incredible customer service! I was very impressed with the CA95, which the same store that I got my V-Grand from, also had on the floor. Knowing that Kawai James is here and very responsive ought to put Kawai at the top of the prospective purchase list for those seeking to buy a digital piano.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
S
SP6NIN Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Hello James,

It works exactly as you explained. I've already downloaded a new manual. Thank your for your time and excelent support. Your help for KAWAI equipment owners is very usefull.

By the way, my friend, who is MP11 owner, informed me that MP11 can record drum patterns also in MIDI format.

Regards,
Marek

Marek

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission