2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
B
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
This is getting ridiculous. I know that neither you nor anyone else can do what you say or even remotely imply. BDB called your bluff and so am I. Either put up or shut up. You either put up a video that shows that you have tuned all of the unisons in the midrange (let's limit it to that) where you mute the unison and show that the left string reads -0.1, the center string reads 0.0 and the right string reads +0.1 on each and every note or stop claiming that you can do that. Have the video camera aimed right at the Verituner screen. Zero tolerance! You either do it or you don't and I already know that you cannot do it.

That being said, I found this quote from RXD in 2011 to be interesting and pertinent:

My answer to a tuning student has to agree with your initial answers... Zero Tolerance. In fact, for a note that only lasts 5 seconds an advanced tuner can sense that there is a beat coming in the 6th or 7th second and tune accordingly even though the beat will never be heard. The possibility of a beat can be sensed immediately after the initial attack. a really skilled tuner can use this to advantage and vary the quality of a beat free unison.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
A454.7 #2332799 10/01/14 12:08 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by A443
[...]If the entirety of the issue is whether or not all three string can be placed DOA with a +/-0.1 cent resolution[...]

That is the clarification that I need. Do what you can to "arrange it." Thank you in advance, Mr. A443. And, while you are at it, please also show the way you like that particular unison on the piano that you are tuning at the time to sound. Thanks, again!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

O Dear Collective Tuner/Tech Brain: Does anyone remember the unisons thread where the idea was to post a recording of your unison that remained beatless for at least 3 seconds? Jerry Groot was involved in that one. I searched the archives to make a link (and a point), but could not find the thread that I was looking for. Help, please. I remember listening and lurking and did not post to that thread, if memory serves. crazy

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1687384/1.html

Kees

That's the one, Kees! Thank you! (Credit also to bkw58, who answered by PM. grin )

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Yes! The late Jerry Groot was the winner!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've participated. And I showed Kees that I was able to tune a unison within a 0.2 cents range. Lol. And I did it on an ugly full upright Armstrong, more than 100 years old.

Good memories!

Last edited by Gadzar; 10/01/14 12:25 AM.
A454.7 #2332810 10/01/14 12:27 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[...] but this is not about me proving what I can do. <---if that is your game, [...]

As a side note, I would add that your arrogance (or misunderstanding) is somewhat astounding, A443. I'm not asking you to "prove" anything.

In making a video of yourself that simply shows YOU tuning a unison the way YOU like to tune a unison, there is much in such communication that could benefit ANYONE. It's not about "proving." It's about, "Here's what I'm saying. Watch and learn." O.K.? I'm ready to watch. I'm ready to learn. You are the teacher. TEACH! You have no excuse to not post such a video. You have already posted several videos. Simply do it again on the subject of "unisons." Start a new thread if you want to. I'm all ears! smile

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Gadzar #2332812 10/01/14 12:33 AM
B
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Raphael,

0.2 is 100% greater than the 0.1 that A-443 claims and he claims he can tune the whole piano that way every time and does it every day and so do all the high flutin' tuners that he knows. Who are they and where can we hear that? Enquiring minds want to know. (Yes, I know I spelled the word the way the tabloid newspaper does and I did it on purpose because so far, whatever proof or evidence of this ridiculous claim have been about on the same level).

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I agree! I would really appreciate to see A443 tuning midrange unisons! Not for him to prove anything, but for me to see what he does and how he does it.

I wonder if the quality of a video would allow to hear the difference between a DOA and a sustain and a Vienesse unison.

I think A443 has nothing to prove to us here in PW. But I'll trully appreciate if he agrees to show us how he tunes.

EDIT: I agree with Cinnamonbear.

Last edited by Gadzar; 10/01/14 01:40 AM.
A454.7 #2332817 10/01/14 12:44 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
LOL...this just happened.

Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
There will be no video produced of any such thing that has been claimed. If there is any video at all that is offered, it will be nothing but a hoax.

What I cannot understand is why anyone would say that any evidence submitted to the contrary "will be nothing but a hoax." There is something seriously wrong with that kind of mentality...

This is getting ridiculous. I know that neither you nor anyone else can do what you say or even remotely imply. BDB called your bluff and so am I. Either put up or shut up.

Really?!?

A454.7 #2332823 10/01/14 01:02 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Really!!!

Semipro Tech
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
0.2 is 100% greater than the 0.1 that A-443 claims and he claims he can tune the whole piano that way every time and does it every day and so do all the high flutin' tuners that he knows. Who are they and where can we hear that? Enquiring minds want to know. (Yes, I know I spelled the word the way the tabloid newspaper does and I did it on purpose because so far, whatever proof or evidence of this ridiculous claim have been about on the same level).
Never attempt to misrepresent someone like that again, Bill Bremmer RPT; I am capable of expressing myself--your assistance is not required.

bkw58 #2332841 10/01/14 01:53 AM

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bkw58
Excerpt from a concurrent thread:

"Beemer, since you are using an ETD, you'll notice that the range for clean unisons is quite large. Near the tenor break, one could get c.-0.4 (L) 0 (C) +0.4 (R), up around the mid capo it's usually down to c.-0.1 (L) 0 (C) +0.1 (R); for the bass, you aiming on either side to centre the target c. -0.2 (L) +0.2 (R). However, it all depends on the piano..." - A443

A demonstration of this via ETD would be helpful.

Thank you.

I am still interested in the above that purportedly defines "the quite large range for a clean unison." Anyone with the time and a decent ETD willing to set unisons to the above indicated parameters, I'd really like to hear the result. Thank you.

Last edited by bkw58; 10/01/14 01:57 AM. Reason: typo

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Raphael,

Bill,

I really believe the Europeans: Oleg, A443, are great tuners and I have no reason to think that they are fantasying about tuning unisons the way they say they do.

If I was able, 3 years ago, to tune a unison with an accuracy of 0.2 cents in a played out 100+ years old cheap upright, I have no reason to doubt that a more experienced tuner, who does concert tuning, can tune 0.1 cents unisons in brand new high end pianos.

You tune dead on unisons, have you measured each string of your unisons? I bet you are under the 0.2 cents of mine!

Last edited by Gadzar; 10/01/14 02:05 AM.
A454.7 #2332848 10/01/14 02:10 AM
B
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Never attempt to misrepresent someone like that again, Bill Bremmer RPT; I am capable of expressing myself--your assistance is not required.

Are you backing down from your claim then? Where will this all end up? I saw "-0.1 0.0 +0.1" and you claimed that you could do it, so let's see the proof and I mean real proof and I don't mean on just one note.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Hasn't anyone seen Isaac's video where he bangs on the hammer to demonstrate stability? He clearly tunes two unisons; one dead on and one coloured but still beatless. The difference between a "dead" unison with no projection; tone that seemed to be sucked into the piano, and a coloured unison that sings in quite obvious in this video. At least it was for me.

Sorry, I'm commenting on the validity of unison colouring vs a-one-size-fits-all approach to unison tuning. I'm choosing to ignore the posts re:measuring exact unison sizes. Its pointless. There are multiple partials all at different offsets on strings that do not have ideally matching iH. This exercise does not lend itself well to quantitative scientific description

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 10/01/14 09:43 AM.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Are you backing down from your claim then? Where will this all end up? I saw "-0.1 0.0 +0.1" and you claimed that you could do it, so let's see the proof and I mean real proof and I don't mean on just one note.
Nothing will happen, until I am satisfied this will achieve something productive--it will be well documented ahead of time exactly what the naysayers think (i.e., what are the boundaries of their tuning reality). You've written that if I provide video evidence, it "will be nothing but a hoax." Were you being reckless with your writings again, or is that what you truly believe?

Are Bill Bremmer RPT and BDB saying that repeatability is not possible? If I put a string at +0.2, then I change the tension and repeat, are you saying that it is impossible to put it back in the exact same location again (i.e., to within c.0.1 cent)? That is what BDB's statement about tuning the A0 seem to imply, since it clearly has nothing to do with tuning unions.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Hasn't anyone seen Isaac's video where he bangs on the hammer to demonstrate stability? He clearly tunes two unisons; one dead on and one coloured but still beatless. The difference between a "dead" unison with no projection; tone that seemed to be sucked into the piano, and a coloured unison that sings in quite obvious in this video. At least it was for me.
No, I haven't seen that. Do you happen to remember where it is?

Gadzar #2332967 10/01/14 10:00 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gadzar
I really believe the Europeans: Oleg, A443, are great tuners and I have no reason to think that they are fantasying about tuning unisons the way they say they do.
I am not European, just FYI.

I am, however, extremely concerned why Olek has so generously made videos on this topic in the past, yet they seem to continue to go completely unacknowledged by the naysayers. Have they not been watched, or are the results simply being ignored? Let's figure out what was not convincing, and then document it to end this cycle...

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

No, I am telling you to never summarise me again. If you have questions, you may ask me, and I will clarify my intentions and my thoughts. What you do not understand about others and how they work, you have no business trying to repeat: so do not do it. Unless your objective is to purposefully mislead? If that is the case, then I will work harder to correct each and every attempt you make, veiled, or otherwise.

A454.7 #2333001 10/01/14 12:12 PM
B
BDB Offline
B

No, I am telling you to never summarise me again. If you have questions, you may ask me, and I will clarify my intentions and my thoughts. What you do not understand about others and how they work, you have no business trying to repeat: so do not do it. Unless your objective is to purposefully mislead? If that is the case, then I will work harder to correct each and every attempt you make, veiled, or otherwise.

We have asked you repeatedly to show that you can tune two strings 0.1 cent apart. All of your posturing is just your way of avoiding the question, just as you have avoided questions in the past.

Besides, Mr. Bremmer did nothing more than give his impression of what you said, an impression that many of us share. Again, if you think that impression is incorrect, you could correct it, instead of hiding behind a stonewall of mock indignation.

If you want to tell other people what not to post, get your own board. You neither own nor moderate this one.

Semipro Tech
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission