2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,772 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I have joint issues and was hoping I could get some feedback from users who have played both.

Is the p105 easier on the hands/fingers for longer practices vs the p35 or 95?

Testing them in store gave me no real sense.

Last edited by DeadPoets; 10/01/14 11:04 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I did try out a P35 in the shop and it seemed like a different animal to the P 105 or the DGX which I bought. I have thumb trouble (wasn't aware of it then) and I appreciate the lightness of this GHS action though it has its drawbacks when playing the black notes! I don't have experience of the P95.
Others have found Casio's action to be beneficial in these circumstances, and there are other lightweight actions out there. It'd be interesting to hear from others thus affected . . but that's another thread.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by peterws
I did try out a P35 in the shop and it seemed like a different animal to the P 105 or the DGX which I bought. I have thumb trouble (wasn't aware of it then) and I appreciate the lightness of this GHS action though it has its drawbacks when playing the black notes! I don't have experience of the P95.
Others have found Casio's action to be beneficial in these circumstances, and there are other lightweight actions out there. It'd be interesting to hear from others thus affected . . but that's another thread.

Why was that? Their keyboards are all GHS, aren't they? In which case the weight and feel should be the same.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I'll just throw in a thought that may be worth considering that besides weight is how keys can have impact on joints.

Not sure how to explain well, perhaps lacking some terminology but I am referring to the hardness the underlying key bed, not the top of the key surface, but the construction underneath, which will determine when a key is pressed and hits bottom how hard it comes to a stop ( if you like, how quickly it decelerates upon impact).

I noticed this somewhat when pressing various keys when I bough my digital that the Casio keybed is relatively soft upon impact, resulting in a sort of subtle bounce when it hits bottom, there were lighter feeling keys in the shops on other models, but the contact point when a key hit the bottom of its travel the impact felt harder on them.

I am just a noob player so I don't know if that would be desirable for some or not in terms of actions. Suffice it to say I like the feeling of he Casio key bed, it feels soft upon impact when bottoming out. smile

I'll go on a tangent and draw an analogy with tennis players and how injuries most frequently happen in that case, more often it is more through impact, not constant stress or resistance.

I think of the Casio as kind of clay court with a sort of bouncier softer ground to play on. Whereas other models could be more akin to a hard court surface. The latter would more prone to injuries due to impact, even though the clay court will feel heavier to play and is it a bit slower, so it is not all in the weight I feel we should worry about to prevent injury.

As I said, I do recall trying many models in various, thankfully living in a big city in the UK there were plenty choices in my price range to try. My memory is vague now on the exact models, but for sure I felt there were keys on models that felt lighter to the touch over the Casio in terms of weight and resistance to travel, but felt harder when bottoming out.

At 47 starting late these thoughts had crossed my mind by picking something that I thought would not be too hard on my delicate hands to begin with, the Casio keybed felt good to me in that regard smile

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by toddy
Their keyboards are all GHS, aren't they? In which case the weight and feel should be the same.

That is an interesting question, also relevant to the thread at
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...s_on_the_P-35_vs._P-95_.html#Post2031464

In theory, GHS is GHS. But there are at least some differences... if nothing else, the black keys have a matte finish on the P95 and a glossy finish on its predecessor, the P85, so that's an obvious indication that not every production run of something called "GHS" is actually identical. The term may describe a general technology or design that they use, but may not mean that the version in each keyboard--even if manufactured concurrently--is necessarily identical, and the details to determine this one way or the other do not seem to be readily available.

It would be interesting, if anyone has access to Yamaha service manuals (perhaps someone has a friend at a repair shop?), to see whether, for example, any or all of the P35, P95, and P105 share identical part numbers for their keyboard mechanism replacement parts. Even that would not be 100% conclusive that all the boards should feel the same or different... The same action in a different chassis could conceivably feel different in some subtle way, or on the other side, a company could conceivably provide two different part numbers to parts that are actually mechanically interchangeable. But it would at least be a clue that would indicate whether it is at least likely that the actions are basically the same or if there is more reason to believe that they may be different.

M
M
Originally Posted by toddy
Originally Posted by peterws

Why was that? Their keyboards are all GHS, aren't they? In which case the weight and feel should be the same.

It is to be clarified wether he talks (we talk) about the mechanical feeling alone or the touch-sound interaction, which may cause the same keybed to feel different even if mechanically 1:1 (depending on sound engine, samples attack time, veolicty curve etc..) because the player tends to automatically adapt the touch to the resulting sound, compared to the expected one. (i.e. If I think that I am playing hard but the sound is less loud than I'd expect, I will either try to play harder and/or consider the keybed too heavy)

GHS has at least one variation other than matt black key tops (which shine with age lol). Replacement keys were at one time individual but are now in one piece clumps, like 5 black keys and 6 white. There is of course no pivot but the keys operate on the cantilever principle. These later incarnations are apparently not prone to problems like their predecessors were.
If you order replacements, the serial no of the piano is required. Allegedly.

BTW when trying out P35 and P105 amongst others, they were deliberately not switched on.

Last edited by peterws; 10/02/14 02:25 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission