Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2333268 - Today at 07:10 AM Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos
WaterDweller Offline

Found this YouTube channel where someone plays a short few notes on a long list of acoustic (both grands and uprights) and digital pianos, recorded using the camera microphone, so you get an idea of how the speaker systems compare. Listening to this, it becomes pretty clear just how big the gulf between digital and acoustic pianos still is.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shimayachiyo/videos

(The video titles are in Japanese, but you can still read the model number in the title of most of the videos, and brand and model in the video annotations on the others.)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2333271 - Today at 07:33 AM Re: Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos [Re: WaterDweller]
toddy Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
It's like the difference between processed cheese and traditionally, hand produced cheese. Or the difference between locally brewed British ale and the stuff produced in factories by continuous fermentation. There are 'off-tastes' in the sound of the real pianos, whereas the digitals come across as processed-sounding - which indeed they are.

But a typical professional recording of a top pianist on a top piano will also have removed most of the off-tastes.

I think the Roland DPs come over less processed-sounding than the others - some off-tastes creeping in with SN sound engine. But perhaps that's just my prejudice.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2333325 - 35 minutes 43 seconds ago Re: Short tests of numerous digital & acoustic pianos [Re: WaterDweller]
TonyB Online   content

Loc: Twin Cities
Another way to interpret these videos is to notice how much the acoustic uprights differ from each other and how far digital pianos have come over the years even if they have a way to go yet. I noticed in each case of a digital piano that its overall volume seemed to be a lot lower than their acoustic counterparts in the demo. It would be interesting to hear these comparisons with the volume of each digital equivalent to their acoustic counterparts.

I remember going to hear an acoustic piano and then going home and turning up my stereo playing an acoustic piano recording. At the time, I had a very powerful power amplifier and had turning out a few hundred watts per channel before the recording came close to the volume level of the unamplified acoustic piano performance.

The human ear hears "louder" as more full. There are a series of response curves called the Fletcher-Munson Curves that detail this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%E2%80%93Munson_curves. These are the reason that people tend to want to turn up the bass and treble when playing ther stereos at reasonable volume, and why there used to be a loudness control on stereo preamplifiers to do just that.

In the series of videos comparing digital and acoustic pianos, there was always a volume advantage for the acoustic pianos. I am not denying that is a gap between the sound of the typical digital piano and the typical acoustic piano, but that it is probably not as pronounced as these videos seem to indicate and am giving reasons why I perceive that.

I did notice that a few of the acoustic uprights really sounded full and resonant, while others did not. All the grand pianos seemed to have that full and resonant sound. For those looking to purchase an acoustic upright, these videos would be worth watching while taking note of those uprights that sounded full and resonant and more like a grand piano.

Tony

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Grand Feel Let-off
by Beemer
10/02/14 10:57 AM
baldwin 2nd hand
by johan d
10/02/14 09:44 AM
a steinway rebuilt and a mason hamlin rebuilt
by koap
10/02/14 09:27 AM
Chopin Étude No 12 in C minor, Op 10 'Revolutionary'
by Maximillyan
10/02/14 09:25 AM
Sustaining vs Dead On Unison
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
10/02/14 08:48 AM
Who's Online
137 registered (ajames, Arizona Sage, AndresD, anotherscott, accordeur, 38 invisible), 1603 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157949 Topics
2319580 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission