2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Yes, that passage somehow reminded me that good ol' JSB discovered minimalism long before Riley, Reich, Glass..... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis

How can we ever doubt the veracity of Hollywood

So Chopin and Liszt shook hands while playing alternate hands of a Chopin piece. Glad to know that's true.

B
B
Originally Posted by Damon

So Chopin and Liszt shook hands while playing alternate hands of a Chopin piece. Glad to know that's true.

Of course.

They were such good buddies that Chopin wrote his Rondo in C for the two of them to play, he on his favorite Pleyel, Liszt on the Erard.

Until, of course, poor old Fryderyk coughed blood onto his keyboard (as A Song to Remember reminded us).........

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
The chromatic harmonies in the passage would have been extremely novel in Bach's time, and thus it isn't just filler, like it seems to be today.

If that chromaticism seemed novel in Bach's time, it was only because people had already forgotten the music of Lassus and Gesualdo, which could be very chromatic indeed. As has been said of Gesualdo's chromaticism, it was 400 years before anyone took chromatic writing any further.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Of course.

They were such good buddies that Chopin wrote his Rondo in C for the two of them to play, he on his favorite Pleyel, Liszt on the Erard.

Until, of course, poor old Fryderyk coughed blood onto his keyboard (as A Song to Remember reminded us).........

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, that passage somehow reminded me that good ol' JSB discovered minimalism long before Riley, Reich, Glass..... wink

Surprised no one has brought up this similar passage from the cadenza of the 5th Brandenburg:
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]
Couple other observations:

The OP quotes the BWV 535, which (though an early work), is considered by scholars to be authentic. It is actually rather fun to play, if far less musically demanding than the later monumental F&F in G minor BWV 542.

The 'too many notes' issue with Mozart is of course a reference to Entführung, but ask any soprano who has sung the centerpiece aria 'Marten aller Arten', and they might agree that there are a lot of notes! (Years ago I was rehearsal pianist for a production of the opera.)

But no, not too many notes, just Mozart at his most virtuosic, exceeding anything he wrote for the piano. eek

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Damon, I don't think I could ever get through that film again. It was as putrid as 'Impromptu'. tiki

Jason
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

NYT not good enough then?

When you are in a hole stop digging.

You are the one who wrongly attributed the remark to Bach when it was to Mozart.

The "Emperor" was only 9 when Bach died? LOL. (I suppose you doubt the veracity of historical fact.......)

Last edited by slipperykeys; 09/07/14 11:17 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

When you are in a hole stop digging.

As you are the one who wrongly attributed the remark to Bach when it was to Mozart (For example, the Emprorer was only 9 when Bach died!) I would think ANY historical reference may help.....

In case you didn't realise (- your post shows you definitely didn't), my earlier statement was meant to be a joke (hence, the wink ) - OK, it was a poor attempt at British humour, but I'd have thought that you'd have understood, living not too far from me.

I assumed that my following post about Joseph I (or 0) made that clear, but obviously not.......... shocked

BTW, just to be clear, all my other posts in this thread are in the same jocular vein. Including the one about minimalism. So, please, JSB, wherever you are, don't take offence...... grin

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Bach did it again in his organ-fugue in E-flat, BWV 532, also worthwhile in Busoni's pianoversion, this is perhaps the most silly fugue-subject of all times, but what he does with it, well, that's genius/God (as in SDG).

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Bach did it again in his organ-fugue in E-flat, BWV 532 [...] this is perhaps the most silly fugue-subject of all times, but what he does with it, well, that's genius/God (as in SDG).

BWV 532 is in D. It is a great test of one's pedal technique, just ask me! Not sure why you say it is 'silly', why do you think so?

Jason
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
it's in D indeed, try humming the theme and the rests...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by wr
And that's not the only time he phoned it in, either. It seems to me that once you get away from the most well-known and popular Bach harpsichord and keyboard works, and look at the miscellaneous pieces, you start running into some fairly long stretches of what sounds to me like fairly mindless note-spinning on endlessly repeated patterns. It's just not very interesting writing, IMO, and you'd never be able to predict his great music, if that was all that you knew.

I'm assuming that stuff is mostly from early in his compositional career, but am not sure. And some of it may be falsely attributed, too.

And some of it he might have expected you to add your own improvisations.

As a comparison, I have a copy of the score to Handel's Messiah, at times it's just a melody and a figured bass

I'm coming to this late, I know, but what is so strange about the Messiah example?

As for phoning it in, what about this extract from a mature work? I think I could probably write counterpoint of this quality, though I couldn't begin to conceive or construct the magnificent contrapuntal space that it inhabits. I'm sure that phantom5 will be able to recognize the source - key signature is 3 sharps. When I hear this bar performed, I just long for it to be over.
[Linked Image]

SRF
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
you start running into some fairly long stretches of what sounds to me like fairly mindless note-spinning on endlessly repeated patterns. It's just not very interesting writing, IMO,

Maybe it was the muzak of the day, to be played when people are walking in and out of church, for example.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by SiFi
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by wr
And that's not the only time he phoned it in, either. It seems to me that once you get away from the most well-known and popular Bach harpsichord and keyboard works, and look at the miscellaneous pieces, you start running into some fairly long stretches of what sounds to me like fairly mindless note-spinning on endlessly repeated patterns. It's just not very interesting writing, IMO, and you'd never be able to predict his great music, if that was all that you knew.

I'm assuming that stuff is mostly from early in his compositional career, but am not sure. And some of it may be falsely attributed, too.

And some of it he might have expected you to add your own improvisations.

As a comparison, I have a copy of the score to Handel's Messiah, at times it's just a melody and a figured bass

I'm coming to this late, I know, but what is so strange about the Messiah example?

As for phoning it in, what about this extract from a mature work? I think I could probably write counterpoint of this quality, though I couldn't begin to conceive or construct the magnificent contrapuntal space that it inhabits. I'm sure that phantom5 will be able to recognize the source - key signature is 3 sharps. When I hear this bar performed, I just long for it to be over.
[Linked Image]

Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I plead ignorance, I don't know its source lol.

As for that particular bar, if I were performing it, I would start by emphasizing the top note, and as the measure progresses, bringing out the bottom line, until the listener's attention is entirely focused on the bottom line and can hear the interplay between the two.

I see that measure as way to switch the primary voice from the treble to the bass. The last two notes especially, the bass is the most important (setting the root or whatever).

Poetry is rhythm
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by SiFi

[Linked Image]

It is an "effect" of a sort, and I think it makes sense in the context of that fugue (the F# minor from WTC II, for those who might be wondering). It would never occur to me that it was the result of "phoning it in" - it's too deliberate and conscious for that, IMO. You may not like it very much, but that's a whole different issue.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
JSB was a somewhat cantankerous chap, but he was also very pious. I believe that he really did write all his music "to the glory of God", so 'phoning it in' for me is inappropriate. His level of inspiration was incredible: all I can say is if it dropped at times, then that reflects, like his temper, on his humanity, not on his 'phoning it in' because he couldn't be bothered.

R
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
R
That example from the WTC is not the kind of thing we're talking about. How come you "can't wait till it's over"? It's over in about 3 seconds.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
That example from the WTC is not the kind of thing we're talking about. How come you "can't wait till it's over"? It's over in about 3 seconds.

Yeah, I know. It's just always seemed to me that JSB inexplicably got lazy for one measure and resorted to ~3 seconds of insipid filler material in what is otherwise a masterpiece. Maybe my aesthetic insight is off-base; yes, it is only my opinion; there is purpose to the passage (ingeniously dissected by phantom 5); and it's not really an example of "phoning it in". I just cited it as tangential evidence that not every note of Bach is perfect (which sort of is the focus of the thread) and that even his best work can be marred by passages that are little more than empty rhetoric, IMO of course. Apologies to those who think I was wasting their time . . .

SRF
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
I think it's OK if every piece you put out there is not a manifestation of pure genius. I can cut him some slack. Dude had to prepare the singers for this Sunday's cantata, write NEXT Sunday's cantata, work on other pieces in the hopper, and then there were all those children...

a great remark in an overall fun thread

plus, so much fuss for such a brief, and faster, passage in an entry-level piece most likely brought about for education of his pupils...

I love Bach's preludes 3hearts

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission