2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by chopinoholic
I will submit a Chopin piece as requested in the last recital!

Thanks! smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm hoping to be able to submit the piece I originally planned to submit last recital, which I ended up switching with another piece last minute. When I was recording this piece (Monday, by Einaudi) before the last recital, I did one of those things were I practiced it wrong times infinity and I ended up having to take it apart and re-practice it. But I've continued to practice and play it since then, and for the most part I like how it's sounding. Now let's see if I can get a reasonable recording of that..... I won't be holding my breath. laugh

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think there may be value in self limiting a piece recording:

1. to one session, “x “ amount of takes,
2. To a “perform” level.,
3. within a time frame
4. For a e-recital, or yourself .

If it would take say, 30 takes, to get it to where you want (performance level); that’s an invaluable learning experience for live performing..
As far as editing “in” after that recording, that would add nuance, maybe a refection of skill but maybe, “production “ creativity with music. That’s good as is the experience of getting a piece to one session, which ‘ll. last a long? time----- after the e-recital.

Although I might feel different if I were a seasoned player.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm of the opinion that to work through the slip ups and still keep playing is better. For live performances you get ONE take! You have to be able to minimise errors, or play in such a way that they're not noticeable. Some departure from the written score may be called for. . . smile

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I'm of the opinion that to work through the slip ups and still keep playing is better. For live performances you get ONE take! You have to be able to minimise errors, or play in such a way that they're not noticeable. Some departure from the written score may be called for. . . smile

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by peterws

Then again, not everyone here has any plans of performing live. I think some would be happy to be able to record and maybe post their achievements on the internet. So those people will benefit from different skills than those who want to play for other people live.

And then there are those who simply would be happy to play the piece well once for themselves and then another and another...The recording would simply be a reminder of what was possible at one time after all that work.

That's why I personally feel it's ok to do what you want with your recording, but be honest about it, so that others don't need to feel inferior not to be able to produce such perfection as is possible with editing.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I agree with the general consensus in this topic about editing. Keep it minimal. Shall we however move on from the discussion about editing? It returns every other recital and most has been said.

For the first time I have the piece kind of ready for before the one month to recital thread. There's still one note which causes a slight pause but I suppose I will have that smoothened up in time. I have been playing this piece for a couple of months now and I have it sort of memorized.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves

You don't need this because editing is not allowed in the ABF Recital. You may record as many times as you feel necessary to arrive at your best effort version, but you may not edit together sections from different takes.

At the risk of opening up that giant can of worms again, this isn't consistent with my memory of the "rules." My understanding is that editing is permitted as long as you inform people as to the exact nature of the editing in the "additional information" field in the submission form.

I personally wouldn't be in favor of a "no editing" rule. I think it's fine to edit out page changes, for example, or overly long pauses... as long as you're upfront about what you're doing. I also am sympathetic to the purist approach that states that a single take is the way to go. But what I want most of all is for *everybody* to feel comfortable with their recital submissions. If that means minor editing that is acknowledged up front, that's okay; I'd rather hear that submission than no submission at all.

+1. There is no such rule and this has been discussed to death here already. Let's keep this one closed for once

Edit: I did not see 'I stand corrected on the no-editing rule.'. Sorry for the superfluous post

Last edited by wouter79; 10/18/14 06:31 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wimpiano

For the first time I have the piece kind of ready for before the one month to recital thread. There's still one note which causes a slight pause but I suppose I will have that smoothened up in time. I have been playing this piece for a couple of months now and I have it sort of memorized.

I just made a "trial" recording with mine...The sound I was pleased with and I managed to do the difficult runs but I had two major memory black outs in passages which should have been a piece of cake. And no matter how much I tried to think, I could not remember which fingers to start with to get the passage right and had to go back to beginning twice eek

More work needed it seems...

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
What are you planning to play? Something Baroque?

The red light, or the idea of an audience is killing for me as well.. Went to a piano store to get a pianolamp today and (while waiting for the owner to be finished with his previous customer), played a piece. It was hard to continue playing when it caught there attention.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Baroque definitely...Scarlatti smile

I will try to make a recording that isn't a complete disaster tomorrow. Then at least I know I have something to submit in case I ran out of time. It's a very busy time at work and I do also have to prepare other pieces for lessons.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Got two acceptable takes today, only a few small hickups in both. Using my old computer to get it working... Seems I'm getting better in playing through small hickups, in the past many small hickups would cause a crash, now I can continue anyway unless my hand is really a few notes off. Baroque music seems easier to do this than stuff with chords, wrong chords seem more disturbing than a wrong melody.

L
L
Hi,out of curiosity, is it common practice to record with a metronome?

I assume this is easier for digital piano owners since with an acoustic piano the clicks would bleed into the recording.

Is this considered "cheating"? Or something similar to editing? How many of you use a metronome when recording for the recital submission?

Thanks,
Luca

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I don't think it is common practice to record with a metronome, and if it helps I would not consider it cheating either.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by lunobili

No, I would say it is very uncommon. A metronome is for practice to help you get the timing right. The recording for the recital is your presentation of the finished product. At this point you need to be on your own, just as you would be in a live recital.

I assume this is easier for digital piano owners since with an acoustic piano the clicks would bleed into the recording.

With electronics and headphones you could just as easily do it with an acoustic. This is performance though. Not practice.

Is this considered "cheating"? Or something similar to editing? How many of you use a metronome when recording for the recital submission?

I just think it is missing the point. You have worked this hard to get the piece to a certain level of performance readiness. So now is the time to show what you can do without any gimics, tricks, help.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I almost missed my first recital, barely making it in at the last moment. blush Hopefully I'll do better this time around! In that respect I managed to make a decision today on what to play for the recital; a short prelude (is that redundant?) in F major. For someone who's such a major procrastinator, this is actually a proud moment for me. laugh Now I just need to get going on learning it!

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

I think the idea of this e-cital is to do the same as you would on a normal recital

Normally people don't use a metronome on a recital. But if someone would need it, why not? But it probably will make a rather monotonous result if you stick to the metronome all the way.

If I remember right I once used metronome for an e-cital here, I think it was my 2nd recital, the famous solfeggio.

https://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki..._C.P.E._-_wouter79_-_Recital_20_Nov_2010

Last edited by wouter79; 10/19/14 06:19 AM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
I almost missed my first recital, barely making it in at the last moment. blush Hopefully I'll do better this time around! In that respect I managed to make a decision today on what to play for the recital; a short prelude (is that redundant?) in F major. For someone who's such a major procrastinator, this is actually a proud moment for me. laugh Now I just need to get going on learning it!

Oh oh, Linda's in the house! Time to up my game. grin

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lunobili,

I guess you could use a metronome while recording your recital piece, but why would you? Wouldn't it sound...er.....metronomic?

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Lunobili, to what purpose would you use your metronome?

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission