Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2339135 - Yesterday at 02:36 PM Which digital to replace a Boston GP with?
Saranoya Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Hi everyone,

I'm finding myself in the slightly unenviable position of having to replace my Boston GP (156cm) with a digital. I'm looking to move soon, and that will be much easier if (a) I don't have to make room for a grand piano, and (b) I have the option of headphone practice.

Since I've found a potential buyer who will probably pay me around 13.000 for the grand, my budget isn't meaningfully constrained. I'm not looking to spend an extravagant amount of money either, though, since I plan to buy an apartment in the near future (but will be renting for at least another year in the meantime).

My question: what's the state of the art in digital pianos these days, and how much should I be prepared to spend on it? Given that I'm switching away from a grand piano, I'd like something that is as faithful as possible to "the real thing" - at least in terms of touch and feel, if not sound (I don't think that's really possible).

Any suggestions?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2339138 - Yesterday at 02:48 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Avant Grand N2.

#2339146 - Yesterday at 03:12 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
petes1 Offline

Check into use of a software piano such as PianoTeq with a digital with decent grand-like action such as either a Kawai MP11 or VPC1. You would also need a pair of monitors and a subwoofer.

But yeah, the Yamaha AvantGrand N2 "hybrid" piano does use an actual piano action, not an imitation action, but it also weighs over 300 (!!) lbs and costs over $10,000.

Edited by petes1 (Yesterday at 03:19 PM)

#2339151 - Yesterday at 03:20 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: petes1]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: petes1
Check into use of a software piano such as PianoTeq with a digital with decent grand-like action such as either a Kawai MP11 or VPC1. You would also need a pair of monitors and a subwoofer.

Have you considered a silent piano option for your grand? It's really a shame to have a permanent solution (selling) for a temporary problem (moving), when the silent option can be added on and allow headphone practice.

Barring that, the above suggestion is good. I would check out other software pianos, though. Pianoteq is decent, but Ivory, TrueKeys (VI Labs), and Galaxy are all contenders.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2339156 - Yesterday at 03:31 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Morodiene]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Have you considered a silent piano option for your grand? It's really a shame to have a permanent solution (selling) for a temporary problem (moving), when the silent option can be added on and allow headphone practice.

I have considered that, Morodiene. I've been told that an add-on silent option is a bad idea, since it will leave the piano sounding uneven when played with the "silent" option off.

Also, I'm currently living in an apartment that's really too big for my budget. It's unlikely that I will be able to move into a place that has room for my Boston, unless I move a hundred miles away.

#2339161 - Yesterday at 03:43 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.
I definitely suggest you have a good long play on a Roland LX-15E or an HP508 if there's one in a dealer near you.

It is a very nice instrument.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2339174 - Yesterday at 04:04 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Saranoya

I have considered that, Morodiene. I've been told that an add-on silent option is a bad idea, since it will leave the piano sounding uneven when played with the "silent" option off.
I haven't heard that this is a problem. Perhaps it all depends on the tech who installs it and/or the condition of the piano?

Quote:
Also, I'm currently living in an apartment that's really too big for my budget. It's unlikely that I will be able to move into a place that has room for my Boston, unless I move a hundred miles away.
Ya, this is a deal-breaker, sadly. On the bright side, there are a lot of great options out there. Try to test all of these suggestions out and see which you prefer the most.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2339189 - Yesterday at 04:39 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
Pete14 Offline

Originally Posted By: Saranoya

Also, when the silent system is engaged, the action is slightly altered. Yamaha uses a system called QuickEscape to compensate for the slight variation between silent and acoustic mode; however, retro-fitted systems lack this mechanism (AFAIK).

The N2 is overpriced, yet it seems to be the best option in terms of coming as close as possible to the real thing. I'm sure you know why......(It's black and shiny).

#2339194 - Yesterday at 04:45 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
bnolsen Online   content

Loc: Colorado
its not a bad idea to check out a ca65 or ca95 to see if that would work. no offence but the kawai gf action is much closer to a steinway action than anything currently offers. sound wise the roland is more competitve but not for action.

#2339215 - Yesterday at 05:52 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
500 Post Club Member

I have a dealer nearby who offers almost all of the options mentioned (not the MP11). I will swing by there this week and see what they're like. Thanks for the suggestions!

I will definitely miss the grand. But that's life, I guess ...

#2339216 - Yesterday at 05:56 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
If you're accustomed to a proper grand piano, the only suitable digital replacements are the Yamaha Avant Grands. They have the action of an acoustic piano. No others do.

#2339220 - Yesterday at 06:09 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
500 Post Club Member

To clarify: part of me hopes that somewhere down the line, I will be able to "upsize" my apartment again, and/or that I will have/find room for a grand piano wherever I ultimately end up. Right now, though, I need to move quickly, and I can't be too picky about anything -- including size and lay-out of the new apartment.

Most likely, if/when the time comes, I will buy another "real" grand piano, but with a built-in silent option. So I will take a look at the Avant Grand, but I don't think I'll go for that. I'd prefer to stay under 3.000 for now.

Edited by Saranoya (Yesterday at 06:10 PM)

#2339226 - Yesterday at 06:26 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
leafhound Offline

grin it depends on what type of music you are playing.

If you play classical and want the expressiveness and touch of a Grand than I would opt for a Roland V-Piano. you can also use it as a controller for software such as Pianoteq and Ivory.

#2339231 - Yesterday at 06:42 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
The Kawai MP11 has the same Grand Feel action that the CA65/95 have. So you can at least check how you like the action. For some reason, the stage piano appeals to me more than a console piano. You may not feel that way. Online sources are many for a stage piano.

#2339245 - Yesterday at 07:22 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: dynamobt]
petes1 Offline

Originally Posted By: dynamobt
The Kawai MP11 has the same Grand Feel action that the CA65/95 have. So you can at least check how you like the action. For some reason, the stage piano appeals to me more than a console piano. You may not feel that way. Online sources are many for a stage piano.

1+ and a hearty "me too". With a stage piano, you have much greater flexibility and power. You can choose any monitors that you desire, and if you don't like them swap them out later. They're built for flexibility and so it is usually quite easy to use them to drive a software piano, and the portability factor is important (for me). It's a win-win situation.

#2339257 - Yesterday at 07:48 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Console digital pianos:

- Roland LX-15e, HP-508
- Kawai CS10/CS7, CA95/CA65
- Yamaha AvantGrand N2/N1, CLP-585/575

Stage pianos:
- Roland RD-800
- Kawai MP11/MP7, or VPC1+Pianoteq
- Yamaha CP4

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2339295 - Yesterday at 09:31 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Funny that nobody mentioned the Roland V-Piano Grand.

. Charles

#2339305 - Yesterday at 10:14 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Charles Cohen]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
Funny that nobody mentioned the Roland V-Piano Grand.

. Charles

It's the size of a baby grand (5 ft) and weighs 375 lb, which is just what the OP doesn't want - a grand........

But I'd recommend the V-Piano as the next best thing thumb

#2339313 - Yesterday at 10:36 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Charles Cohen]
bnolsen Online   content

Loc: Colorado
the vpiano grand has a phaIII action like many of the other rolands. maybe worth playing but possibly underwhelming for what it tries to offer.

#2339317 - Yesterday at 11:25 PM Re: Which digital to replace a Boston GP with? [Re: Saranoya]
500 Post Club Member

I had a Roland RD-150 before I got my Boston. It wasn't bad at all, for what it cost. I probably never should have sold it. I'll take a serious look at the RD-800.

Oh, and I play mostly classical.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
10/19/14 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
10/19/14 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
10/19/14 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
10/19/14 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
10/19/14 04:23 PM
Who's Online
91 registered (accordeur, Anticlock, AmateurBob, angga888, Anne'sson, 29 invisible), 1294 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325542 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission