2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
OP Offline
E
Hello,
I'm relatively new to Piano playing and the first song I learned from youtube tutorials was the Maple Leaf Rag. It took me about 4 Months to get it down halfway decently. I just wanted to ask If I could get some feedback and maybe some hints how to play it better.. here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMQXf3hBXc

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
First of all ... very good.

One thing I notice immediately is that you are rushing in places. This does not necessarily mean you are speeding up, but you are pushing the beat. So, at a quick tempo it feels like we are speeding up and looses the relaxing swing feel. A metronome will help fix this. More importantly though, just be aware of it ... it is common ... particularly so in performance when you have so many other things to worry about.

I see you are a first time poster, but can not imagine you are brand new to piano. Regardless, stick around and look into the quarterly recitals ... suggested.

Welcome, good job.

S
S
Originally Posted by Greener

I see you are a first time poster, but can not imagine you are brand new to piano.

I'll second that. Good job!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
If you're that much of a beginner (hard to be sure HOW much) then that is an impressive effort.

Can you read music or have you learnt this by visual mimicry or other means? Most of what you're playing, or aiming to play is accurate but you're making a lot of mistakes. OTOH, a lot of it is well within your technical span, even at this tempo. I think you need to decide what would be the best tempo for you based on the most difficult section, the trio, C section. So perhaps decide to take the entire piece at a slower tempo until you've perfected it?

You probably know where you're going wrong, where the playing is a little loose. Rather than playing through the whole rag, or even through one of the 4 sections in its entirety, I would practice small segments and learn how to loop those segments so that your practice will be efficient. There's no point in playing through bars 1-32 if your only difficulty is located in bars 7 and 8. Just set up a loop of bars 7 and 8 and practice those slowly. Focus your practice on the most difficult spots.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- incidentally, bars 7 and 8 and wherever else they occur have a Cb (aka B nat). You're playing (very accurately!) a C natural.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Very impressive. Also: is that really a Pfeiffer upright? If so, you've got something special..

E
OP Offline
E
Thank you for your feedback! Yea I learned this from a synthasia version of the Maple leaf rag on youtube by memorizing the keys played.. It is very possible that i have simply learned the wrong notes.. I was not aware that i was making that many mistakes.. except for timing etc.. Well as I said it was the first song that I learned from scratch on the piano in Spring 2013.. I stopped practicing in Fall and recently went back at it.. like four weeks ago trying to make it sound better. I cant play from sheet music.. so at the moment I relying on youtube tutorials.. anyway.. Yea its a Pfeiffer Piano smile I was not aware of the fact that its rare or something..

Anyway my goal it to get really good at ragtime.. at the moment I'm learnign the black and white rag.. next comes either Original Rags (wchich I like even better than the Maple Leaf rag) or the Root Beer Rag. Cheers and Im glad I could get some input!

Last edited by Erik BerikHerik; 10/19/14 06:14 PM.
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
It's rare outside of Germany and when in good condition it is the very best upright one can get.

Last edited by wimpiano; 10/20/14 01:07 AM.
E
OP Offline
E
Oh and I would like to add that this Piano is very much out of tune.. it hasn't been tuned for almost 40 years now and the keys are all probably off more that a half tone.. And I wonder if I should swing it more.. but I find it looses some of the syncopation effect.. (I dont know If I describe the right thing when I say syncopation effect.. but I like it better when played rather straight.

Last edited by Erik BerikHerik; 10/20/14 07:14 AM.
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I can't comment on the "swing it more" and so on, I don't play ragtime yet and don't know of such a technique.

OT, On your piano: If the piano does not have other obvious large problems (cracked soundboard, missing parts and so on) it is very much worth to have it tuned and regulated. Pfeiffer is to upright pianos what Bösendorfer/Steinway is for grand pianos. New ones go for 20.000 EUR.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Erik BerikHerik
And I wonder if I should swing it more..

..it becomes increasingly difficult to swing as the tempo rises so, at your tempo, I would recommend leaving it as a straight 8s rhythm. It suits Maple Leaf anyway.

E
OP Offline
E
Here's a link to an older video I made. playing it slower.. a lot more mistakes but I played it a little differently that time.. If you're not interested in the funny part of the video skip to minute 6..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYJy5Onq5EM
The Wingsuit Piano Man

Last edited by Erik BerikHerik; 10/20/14 12:14 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- very relaxed feel and because it's slower you're swinging it instead. You could play this rag really well but it needs a lot of polishing. I suppose it's possible that you'll acquire the extra needed skill by working on other pieces...it takes a lot of patience to stick with one piece when you're eager to learn others.

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks a lot! I am working hard on the Black and White rag at the moment, but play The Maple Leaf rag a lot in between..

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Hello,
I'm relatively new to Piano playing and the first song I learned from youtube tutorials was the Maple Leaf Rag. It took me about 4 Months to get it down halfway decently. I just wanted to ask If I could get some feedback and maybe some hints how to play it better.. here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMQXf3hBXc

Check the ascending arpeggios in the A section, I think you've got note consistently wrong. What you're playing has a major feel and that ascending passage is either a minor or diminished in the score.

You're playing the C section better than I can, but you're glossing over a measure or two in practice (right before the turnaround) and your otherwise rock-solid left hand is fumbling there.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
And I wonder if I should swing it more.. but I find it looses some of the syncopation effect.. (I dont know If I describe the right thing when I say syncopation effect.. but I like it better when played rather straight.

While swinging is a valid option [that becomes more and more exercised as the jazz era begins], historically Joplin rags were written to be played straight and I'd say most of the ragtime experts I listen to tend not to swing their rhythms.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
E
OP Offline
E
Yea I keep working on exactly that part at the End of section C with the left had and I'm not sure why Im having troubles there..

with regard to the major feel.. I wonder how much that can have to do with the piano being totally out of tune.. like really way out of tune.. it sounds extremely bad.. when I play along to other music from the laptop

Last edited by Erik BerikHerik; 10/20/14 03:17 PM.
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Erik BerikHerikwith
regard to the major feel.. I wonder how much that can have to do with the piano being totally out of tune.. like really way out of tune.. it sounds extremely bad.. when I play along to other music from the laptop

I don't think it's the piano. It's specifically a missed note in the arpeggios of A7-8.

Lessee: each four note arpeggio should go Ab (LH), Ab (RH), Cb (RH), Ab (RH). This is basically an Ab minor arpeggio. You're probably hitting C instead of Cb.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
E
OP Offline
E
Ahhh yes thats it! thx

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yea I keep working on exactly that part at the End of section C with the left had and I'm not sure why Im having troubles there..

with regard to the major feel.. I wonder how much that can have to do with the piano being totally out of tune.. like really way out of tune.. it sounds extremely bad.. when I play along to other music from the laptop

I am just catching up to this thread. You have some great advice here already, so I will limit my response to as-yet unanswered questions. I will shorthand, because I need to limit the amt of time I spend typing. If it doesn't make sense, please ask.

Swing- you can do it. I play this piece rather fast (much faster than you did), and you can still swing at that speed. It becomes less pronounced in execution, but the sound will still be there. Be deliberate with the pedal so the sound doesn't get muddled.

C-section- the bar you're having trouble with. Ground the notes by following RH thumb. It doesn't leap anywhere and is easy to track mentally. (Also, bring it out for a nice chromatic line.)

Overall feel- needs more dynamics. Looser wrists will help, but it also needs a lot of shaping. Otherwise the LH gets into a boom-chic static pattern/sound. Check out diretonic's rendition in the Joplin recital.. very well played. Might give you some ideas. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission