Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2339561 - Yesterday at 05:37 PM Kawai MP7: Damper controller - bug or feature?
Banshee Offline

There is a certain behaviour concerning the MP7 damper pedal you might find irritating, but I am not sure whether it's a glitch in the firmware or intended somehow..:

Setup:
- Kawai MP7 v1.05
- Damper Pedal F-10H connected
- no other controllers connected (to keep the setup simple)
- Factory Reset + Panic (to start with a clean system)
- Drawbar mode with rotary enabled

Issue:
In Drawbar mode you can select the F-10H as controller to change the Leslie speed. Strangely however, the pedal will behave as a toggle switch when assigned to EFX1 and as a momentary switch if on EFX2!!

To test this, connect the pedal to the unit and if possible perform a full reset to be sure no other settings will influence this behaviour.
Then select DRAWBAR.
You will notice, the damper works as a sustain pedal right now. So go to EDIT, select 6.Controller and assign Slow/Fast to it.

Now if you press it, you will toggle between slow and fast speed of the Leslie, visible also on the lit or dark SW1.
Now change EFX1 to something non-rotary (this is important to shift the controller pedal to EFX2) and make sure EFX2 has rotary enabled. Verify in Controller menu that the pedal is on Slow/Fast again (it will most likely change when EFX1 changes as it was linked to it previously).

Now you will notice that the pedal momentarily switches from slow to fast rotary, if you press you go on fast, if you release, back on slow.

Now enable EFX1 and change it back to rotary without touching EFX2. The pedal again works toggling. Now even if you change EFX1 to something else, the pedal still keeps its toggling mode.
Now change EFX2 from Rotary to anything else and back to Rotary. Change the Controller back to Slow/Fast (if it lost it) and you notice the momentary behaviour again.

I'd say this is a firmware bug, but yet it could be quite useful if you want the momentary behaviour of the pedal.

However I would welcome it, if Kawai could probably use the Pedal mode (Normal/Hold) to edit this special behaviour instead of linking it somehow to EFX1 or EFX2...

Edited by Banshee (Yesterday at 05:38 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2339704 - 34 minutes 6 seconds ago Re: Kawai MP7: Damper controller - bug or feature? [Re: Banshee]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Banshee, thank you for posting this bug. I checked it with the MP7 engineer earlier and we were able to recreate the pedal behaviour by following your procedure.

Here is a little background information that I learned about EFX1/EFX2 and rotary speaker handling on the MP7.

1. When both EFX1 and EFX2 are set to a Rotary effect, the SW1/SW2 switch and F-30 left pedal can toggle the slow/fast mode of both effects simultaneously.

2. However, when assigned in the 6.Controllers menu, the F-10H can only toggle the EFX1 or EFX2 Rotary effect (i.e. not both). The reason is because 'Slow/Fast' is actually listed twice: once for EFX1, and once for EFX2. Unfortunately, the current OS does not clearly show which EFX slow/fast is assigned (due to limited LCD space), so this is something we need to consider in the future.

3. Prior to OS v1.02, controlling the slow/fast rotor using the F-10H was only possible by holding/releasing the pedal. The momentary switch toggle method was added with OS v1.02 (as one of the 'Various other operation/display improvements').

4. There is a minor bug in this momentary switch method, whereby if EFX1 is not set to Rotary, EFX2 slow/fast is not toggled correctly when the F-10H pedal is pressed.

------------

The bug mentioned in point 4 has now been fixed. If you would like to receive a beta version of this fixed MP7 OS, please send me a PM with your email address.

Thanks again for bringing this bug to our attention.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Who's Online
94 registered (Adypiano, angga888, AmateurBob, 27 invisible), 1196 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325915 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission