Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2339594 - Yesterday at 07:21 PM Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
Jtreimer Offline

Ok, I have recently purchased the app known as Synthesia for my iPad Air. I own a DGX-650 and for some reason I just can't get it to connect.

Here is what I have:

-DGX-650
-iPad Air
-Synthesia
-Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
-USB Type A to Type B wire (Same wire found connected to printers that use USB)

Now I have read the Owner's Manual for the DGX-650 and I have also been on Synthesia's Website. (http://www.synthesiagame.com) I even noticed that Synthesia had a DGX-650 on their recommended list, but I still can not figure this one out. I can't even use Garage band with my Piano.

This is what I have done:

- Read Manual (it tells me how to plug it in, but I don't see anything about a setting even if there is one.)
- Visited Synthesia's Website and went through a small tutorial.
- Check Youtube and the Internet and astonishingly there is nothing to with Synthesia and a iPad. smirk
- Tried different USB Type A to Type B Cables

Nothing will show up in Synthesia > Settings > Music Devices > Music Input

The Cables work Just fine, I've tested them.

Please Help, it'll be very appreciated.

Edited by Jtreimer (Yesterday at 07:43 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2339615 - Yesterday at 08:11 PM Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]
David Farley Online   content

Loc: Illinois
Yamaha has a special manual on their download page for the DGX-650 but it doesn't say much other than to plug it in. And really that's all you should need to do - most MIDI-aware apps are just listening. The first thing I would check is, is the camera connection adapter really working? Like, check it to actually load a couple photos from a camera and see if that works.

#2339616 - Yesterday at 08:12 PM Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]

I meant to say, Yamaha has a special manual just for iPad/iPhone connections.

#2339622 - Yesterday at 08:27 PM Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: David Farley]
Jtreimer Offline

Ok, thanks I'll go check it out and see if it works.

#2339629 - Yesterday at 08:47 PM Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: David Farley]
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted By: David Farley
Yamaha has a special manual on their download page for the DGX-650 but it doesn't say much other than to plug it in. And really that's all you should need to do - most MIDI-aware apps are just listening. The first thing I would check is, is the camera connection adapter really working? Like, check it to actually load a couple photos from a camera and see if that works.

I agree with this advice. FWIW - while I don't use Synthesia, I DO use my DGX-640 (NOT DGX-650, but should be similar) with my iPad. (The app in my case is Home Concert Xtreme.)

Otherwise same connections as you - HCX worked "straight out of the box". No fiddling with settings required. So, it sounds like a hardware issue to me.

#2339636 - Yesterday at 09:22 PM Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]
Jtreimer Offline

No hardware issues I just checked. Unless there is a certain type of USB Type A to Type B Cable.

#2339650 - Yesterday at 10:16 PM Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]

Any A/B cable should work. I've never found one that didn't. I'm wondering if this a problem specific to the iPad Air. Do you have an older iPad you can test it with? Another suggestion I've seen is to use a powered USB hub as a go-between (I know the manual says not to do that), however it doesn't sound like you're getting an error about power. Or the other possibility is the USB port on your piano has a problem. Can you test it against something that's not an iPad? Like a computer running the demo version of Pianteq? (You also need to install the special Yamaha USB-MIDI drivers.)

I don't see any default MIDI settings in the manual that should prevent it from working, but you might want to check all your MIDI settings against the manual.

#2339673 - Yesterday at 11:04 PM Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]
Jtreimer Offline

The Piano is brand new, I wouldn't imagine it having a USB issue. I guess I could try a different A to B Cable.
The USB Camera Adapter worked No problem. The Synthesia Website says that any OS that is iOS 5 and above should work. I currently Have iOS 8.

#2339681 - Yesterday at 11:38 PM Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]

I'm out of ideas. I did notice, when googling around, people complaining specifically about iPad Air and/or iOS 8 not detecting MIDI keyboards and other devices for no reason that anybody could determine. And in some cases MIDI devices that worked before iOS 8 stopped working after.

#2339684 - 47 minutes 2 seconds ago Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]
Jtreimer Offline

Do some pianos need driver software? Just like computers need drivers in order to use a specific piece of hardware?

#2339691 - 16 minutes 47 seconds ago Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]

There's no drivers involved in iOS. Yamaha does have special USB drivers for Windows and OS X. It should just work. I'm stumped - there's got to be something in the chain that needs to be turned on or off. Have you tested the piano with anything other than the iPad? That would still be my next step.

#2339694 - 9 minutes 49 seconds ago Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]
Jtreimer Offline

I was really hoping to be able to use this. I'm very disapointed. There must be something I'm doing wrong.

#2339698 - 4 minutes 18 seconds ago Re: Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia! [Re: Jtreimer]
Jtreimer Offline

Is there anything I have to use between the USB wire and the Camera Adapter? Should I try a different USB wire because the one I have is older, but it still works on other devices. I know for a fact it has to be USB 2.0. Do you know if my iPad is supposed to show any recongnition of my keyboard without the app? Like for example, does it have a pop up that says something like: "Do you trust this computer yes or no?" (Something like that)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
10/20/14 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
10/20/14 06:56 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (angga888, AmateurBob, Alan F, 26 invisible), 1210 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325907 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission