2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Hey, how about we begin a study group? It's somewhat more stimulating to me participating in online events or such. When I keep to myself I tend to be in the "confort zone", playing the same pieces I already know over and over.

I never attempted a real long piece - aside from 2 well-known Beethoven adagios from his sonatas, Burgmuller, Schumann and Gurlitt stuff for beginners is my usual turf.

A Mozart sonata should be fine enough to change that: not overly long, nor extremely technically demanding. His sonata facile is much too beaten already, as is Turkish March, but someone in other forum proposed this one and after playing the first few compasses I fell in love for it:

[Linked Image]

here's a link for the score

choose an edition (I chose the first one, without fingerings)

and come in. Let's discuss our difficulties and shortcomings and how to overcome them.

The image represents what I can play after 3 days (about an hour a day) now with relative ease.

I'm fine with the articulations and tempo so far, but that "cadenza" closing the first part in the penultimate compass is kinda tough. It demands quick fingering and smooth chords...

so, how about we begin and use the image above for a week 1 goal? more? less? tell me what you think...

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 10/22/14 02:41 PM.

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I love this Sonate, most of all the third part.

I can not say that I play the whole sonate without some mistakes,......but I like to play this wonderfull piece.

Difficult for me are the quick passages before the last time, the theme starts.....

I like to hear experiences of other pianoplaying musiclovers.

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
checking the different grading systems this piece is AMEB grade 10, RCM grade 11. Way out of my league.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Way out of my league too, but I think it is a really cool idea.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I suppose I can play the first couple of bars wink :p

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mozart is wonderful to play and this is a great one. Although this one is deceptively difficult I think it provides a lot of technical and musical growth. It is possible to start it sooner than you might think. You might not be too satisfied with the results but you can keep returning to it in the future.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I learned this sonata when I was about 15 years old, if I remember correctly; and I've been keeping it in my repertoire; meaning: I still play it from time to time.

Beautiful piece of music; especially the developments in the first and second movement.

Technically, there is one thing that my hand disagrees with; the alternating scales, like in measure 12 of the first movement (e-g-f-a-g-bflat-a-c) and throughout the piece. I guess slow practise on these might take care of the problems.

I remember that it took me really long to master the sonata technically as a teenager. Before that, I had played a Haydn sonata (D major Hob.XVI/37), which I liked and had mastered rather quickly; but after that, the Mozart sonata was a leap. But once you can play it, it's really nice.

So to those studying it: It might be hard at first, but worth the effort.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Path,

Indeed.......the sonata is worth to study. The parts which are difficult to me....I have to polish it,....but mostly I play on.....thinking I will do that later on....

From Haydn to Mozart.......yes, sometimes a big step....

Mozart and Hayn, I never studied in my youth. At that time I was churchorganist playing Bach, Buxtehude etc. First at the age of 53 I 'discovered' the way to play Mozart, Haydn, Clementi, Kuhlau etc.

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by earlofmar
checking the different grading systems this piece is AMEB grade 10, RCM grade 11. Way out of my league.

well, I looked up but couldn't find info on what exact pieces these grades mean. I know my level is about Bach 2-part inventions and I'm progressing reasonably fine, though slowly, with this one. I learned 7 more compasses this night and perfected the previous ones (specially the "cadenza").

The best judge is just trying to play it. It's really not that difficult, not a myriads of voices moving in parallel, just melody and broken arpeggios and some voice interplay. Most chords present are just thirds, there are no big leaps, no long trill sections. Mozart at his most graceful and crystal clear. One should only beware of the articulations markings and tempo...

come on, guys, don't be shy... maybe tomorrow I post a mp3 work in progress...

BTW, I think I heard this sonate before, but I'm not following any video performance, just playing from score.

Originally Posted by Johan B

Indeed.......the sonata is worth to study. The parts which are difficult to me....I have to polish it,....but mostly I play on.....thinking I will do that later on....

that's the spirit

From Haydn to Mozart.......yes, sometimes a big step....

actually, I believe Haydn last sonatas are far more technically demanding than any from Mozart. one day I'll get to Papa Haydn...

unlocked by keys
- piano music -

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member

Yes, K.333 is conservatory level repertoire. RCM Level 9 includes K.330 though, so that one would have been more approachable, if you consider RCM Level 9 approachable. It's funny; when I saw the thread's subject title, my immediate reaction was, "maybe in 10 years I could join this study group!"

I do want to add K.333 is one of my favorite. In this Yamaha commercial, I do want to say to the salesman please stop talking and let me listen to the beautiful K.333 being played by this amazing pianist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3bqNg_Hag

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves

Yes, K.333 is conservatory level repertoire. RCM Level 9 includes K.330 though, so that one would have been more approachable, if you consider RCM Level 9 approachable. It's funny; when I saw the thread's subject title, my immediate reaction was, "maybe in 10 years I could join this study group!"

I do want to add K.333 is one of my favorite. In this Yamaha commercial, I do want to say to the salesman please stop talking and let me listen to the beautiful K.333 being played by this amazing pianist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3bqNg_Hag

Thanks.......the youtube link.....mmmmm....Yamaha.....I like it.......

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Maybe those who find it challenging could just play the RH? There are so many great musical issues to play with, just in the RH of a Mozart sonata.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
LH, RH, hands separate then together... whatever... you can't be sure you can't do it unless you try it.

I'm hopeful of getting to the end of page 1 tonight or at least close enough... I'll post an mp3 with progress, I've already set up an account on soundcloud smile

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 10/23/14 05:10 PM.

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
We're off and running then smile I will keep my comments to RH musicality for anyone who wants to do that, plus responding to whatever questions I may be able to help with...

Phrasing
The section you posted has 2 phrases, the first from pickup to m. 1 until m. 4, the second from pickup to m. 5 until end of section. The first phrase has a question in the middle (F-Eb) and an answer at the end (C-D). The second phrase interrupts itself after getting through only 2 measures, then reiterates what it just said with more animation (m. 7-8 reiterate m. 5-6). So it is like a typical 4-bar phrase that is turned into 6 bars by that reiteration.

If this were a Mozart opera, it would be excited dialogue, or maybe one character talking to an imaginary partner and saying his/her lines too smile Maybe it would be sung by Papageno, or Cherubino, someone with that sort of excitable and cheery energy.

The Appoggiatura
Measures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 all start with appoggiaturas! Wow!
The appoggiatura is a dissonant note played on a strong beat that then resolves on the next note. It is a way of enjoying dissonance and delaying the arrival of consonance. It's always good to give the dissonant note of an appoggiatura a little extra love, and since the one in m. 2 is an important note in the question part of the phrase, I'd lean on that one especially much.

Originally Posted by patH

Technically, there is one thing that my hand disagrees with; the alternating scales, like in measure 12 of the first movement (e-g-f-a-g-bflat-a-c) and throughout the piece. I guess slow practise on these might take care of the problems.

Are you dividing those runs into groups of 4 notes that can be played 1324? That's a good go-to fingering for those. While the 24 is playing, the 1 can sidle over next to the 4 to get ready for the next group.

PS Mozart is awesome.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm glad I clicked back into this thread, Heather's commentary is great!
I love this idea, and at another point in time would be on for it, but not at the moment.
My second piece for the Schumann recital is requiring a lot of work, and I have two "challenge" pieces parked which I want to pick back up once the Schumann is at the polishing stage, so must...resist...challenge - for now, at least :-)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
as quick suggestion if you want an edition without fingering, you can get the new mozart edition here:
http://dme.mozarteum.at/DME/nma/start.php?l=2

you can add the fingering using another edited edition, but for Mozart, that is the best urtext.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
another cheers for the insightful analysis by Heather! wow. there's really a lot of rhethoric in the classical period, huh?

I'll see if I check the UR text, but so far been working on the that score.

Here's my WIP with the measures depicted in the image above:

https://soundcloud.com/namekuseijin-br/mozart-kv-333-wip-1

(sorry for my lame old google account :p)

still need to work that cadenza, but I'm glad how this is coming out. I'm actually a bit farther down, but still on first page. I can get to cadenza 2, but still not quite as presentable as section 1... :P

BTW, feel free to add suggestions here...

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 10/24/14 09:54 AM.

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
another thing that is helping with mozart, is to listen to vengerov masterclasses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4-CcO4XwM

because he's so expressive and really helps to understand "between the lines" of mozart apparent simplicity.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ataru074
another thing that is helping with mozart, is to listen to vengerov masterclasses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4-CcO4XwM

because he's so expressive and really helps to understand "between the lines" of mozart apparent simplicity.

Nice masterclass......comparison....basketball.....but it works......you see it and you can hear it....

Best regards
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by barbaram
I'm glad I clicked back into this thread, Heather's commentary is great!
I love this idea, and at another point in time would be on for it, but not at the moment.
My second piece for the Schumann recital is requiring a lot of work, and I have two "challenge" pieces parked which I want to pick back up once the Schumann is at the polishing stage, so must...resist...challenge - for now, at least :-)

Yeah me too. I want to follow along especially if Heather is giving pointers, but my plate is too full at the moment shocked My second Schumann piece... I still have to learn it. Oh boy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission