2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by DameMyra
A friend posted the following to my FB page. Well worth reading and it touches on many of the wonderful points already made on this thread;

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/114221/orchestras-crisis-outreach-ruining-them

Thanks for that - it's one of the more intelligent discussions on this subject I've read in the media.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by patH
[...]And if I wanted to soundhound an encore I don't know, I would use my smartphone as well during the performance.

You just don't get it, do you?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
If you read more closely, you'll see that I didn't say that lighted screens are noisy. I said that they are just as distracting as noise can be.

My bad. Guess it was a bit late last night when I posted this. wink
Next time I use a smartphone during a concert, I'll hopefully have remembered to set the display to not too bright.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
C
C
He wants me to practice this Bartok to help me better w. legato...but more specifically, to help me play more musically and less 'digital'. I'm 4/5s done with Agay's The Joy of First Yr Piano. Which was so much better than the Alfreds when I was learning on my own, but also contains 'tunes' that just is utterly uninteresting to me. And our next book other than the Bartok is Agay's Classics to Modern which I'll prob. get to next yr. isn't much better.

But he thinks this is the best way for me to get to the point of playing competently, and the basic skills to play what I want: jazz, pop and a few classical pieces. I do like actually Bolero, Beethoven's Pastorale (b/c it has a great melody that I can identify and actually like), and maybe a Chopin or Bach. That's about it. But I think playing jazz will be really cool, and I'm willing to learn thru pieces I don't like to accumulate the skills required.

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
B
B
Originally Posted by Chrisl
And our next book other than the Bartok is Agay's Classics to Modern which I'll prob. get to next yr. isn't much better.

When I was a beginner (at 10), I felt that I became a real pianist when I started on Agay's easy Classics to Moderns. Until then, I was only playing easy arrangements of folk, pop and classical tunes. I never again played simplified arrangements of anything after that.

If your interest is jazz and pop, why don't you ask your teacher to arrange tunes like Summertime, Walking the Dog, Deep River, Swing Low, Steal Away, Simple Gifts, The Ballad of Mack the Knife etc for you? In case you don't recognize them, they're all original tunes by 'classical' composers, or are tunes used by them in operas etc.

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
A
Why would we want to bring classical music to young people "on their terms"? If they are encouraged to behave "like in a rock concert" what happens to the silences, the pauses, the quiet moments that are ultimately as important as the music itself?
Because I believe it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, then I'll admit it was a bad idea.

Why not bring the young people to classical music on (current) classical music terms? Why have different standards: one standard for classical music for classical music lovers and classical music for those who don't know the conventions of classical music? How are they to learn to appreciate the subtleties of classical music if they behave as they would in rock concerts?
Because the customer is always right. The audience is paying money for the tickets.

Would you really "not [be] against it" if, during the quiet moments of a recital or concert, to relieve their boredom, the uninitiated were talking, even quietly, among themselves, taking pictures of the performers and distracting others while doing so?
Not more than against coughers.

Wouldn't this sort of activity, if encouraged or even just allowed, cause concert venues to lose some of the regular members who do staunchly support such events?
Which is why I'd support the existence of concerts that come with a notice "Quiet during performances please. No loud talking, texting or coughing please."

It's happening already, I might add, that young people, even some music students themselves, are taking out their smartphones during recitals and if not distracting an entire audience by holding up their phones to get a "good" picture of the performance, are nevertheless playing with their smartphones in their laps where the lighted screens are as distracting as any noise or other disturbance in a concert hall.
Lighted screens are noisy? What smartphone do you have?
And if I wanted to soundhound an encore I don't know, I would use my smartphone as well during the performance.

Eh...I think you both are focusing too much on the exact details of what should and should not be appropriate behavior at concerts and skirting the real issue why the masses are more in tuned to enjoy rock concerts versus classical.

I think PatH got quite close by mentioning the sitting still versus not.

I read an interesting post long ago that helped me really understand Whiteside's books, that is quite relevant to the issue:

"Look at some video recordings of performances of rock groups and then of piano concertos. The cameras recording these events sometime pan onto the members of the audience. But it happens far more often at the rock concert - almost as if the crowd were part of the performance. Not much video of the concerto audience because the folks shooting it realize that nobody watches slent movies anymore - let alone “still”, silent movies, and that’s what people would see if they showed much of the concerto’s audience - a crowd of “statues”.

The behavior of the audiences at these two events is vastly different because that at the rock concert is “supposed to be” completely and unabashedly uninhibited (just like the performers), and the one at “The Symphony” is “supposed to be” precisely the opposite. Even though members of the symphony audience may be going through an emotional, AND PHYSICAL, experience every bit as intense as the rock crowd’s, similar uninhibited displays of rhythm at the concerto are not allowed - EXCEPT, ironically, by the performers themselves (!) and the audience - but only AT THE END of the performance, AFTER the music has stopped. It’s all about INHIBITING the rhythmic behavior that the music inspires.

Not surprisingly, the behavior of non-player folks sitting around at home listening to classical music is much the same.

When a young person enters public school he/she soon gets the message that quiet, studious behavior is the right way to be - “don’t act out” - and, unless one becomes a professional athlete, that really IS the road to success in both “blue collar” and “white collar” professions. Unfortunately, it does not represent the same in learning to play the piano, or, more accurately stated, the whole body technique to be executed PRIOR to “playing the piano” (making impact with the keys of the piano).

But it is not that rhythm has been lost in those people - it has been “internalized” - much as speaking can can be internalized to “thinking”. They’re both identical to their “external” counterparts, but neither is “visible”. I believe this must be the case, otherwise these people could not enjoy music, let alone desire to play it. (Children of professional musicians learn very early on not only how to speak, but also, by observing their parents’ behavior during performance, to “externalize” their rhythmic behavior.)"

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=1808.msg24157#msg24157

There's a connection between physical motion and music, and classical music will only move forward once we accept this. As a performer, the first thing you must learn, is that the non-playing audience, will NEVER experience music the same way you do. There's a certain unity in mind, ear, and body that trained musicians experience, and it is our job to share that with the audience the best we can.

Does that mean we allow rude behavior or just let people do what they want? Of course not.

Perhaps all that needs to be done is music appreciation on the most basic of levels. Your average's person experience of classical music can be improved be telling them just to listen for the pulse first and allow their torso and allow their body to just naturally respond.

Last edited by anamnesis; 10/20/14 01:11 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by anamnesis
There's a connection between physical motion and music, and classical music will only move forward once we accept this. As a performer, the first thing you must learn, is that the non-playing audience, will NEVER experience music the same way you do. There's a certain unity in mind, ear, and body that trained musicians experience, and it is our job to share that with the audience the best we can.

Does that mean we allow rude behavior or just let people do what they want? Of course not.

Perhaps all that needs to be done is music appreciation on the most basic of levels. Your average's person experience of classical music can be improved be telling them just to listen for the pulse first and allow their torso and allow their body to just naturally respond.
Although I'm not sure I agree(and I think there were times when classical music was more popular although the audience didn't move to the beat), it made me think of something I've observed at Mannes master classes. The head of the piano department is Pavlina Dokovska, and when she listens to performances she often moves around to the beat although obviously not to the extreme people might move at rock concerts. You can see her enthusiasm for the music although these are pieces she's heard a million times.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/20/14 05:33 PM.
F
F
Why would we want to bring classical music to young people "on their terms"? If they are encouraged to behave "like in a rock concert" what happens to the silences, the pauses, the quiet moments that are ultimately as important as the music itself?
Because I believe it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, then I'll admit it was a bad idea.

Why not bring the young people to classical music on (current) classical music terms? Why have different standards: one standard for classical music for classical music lovers and classical music for those who don't know the conventions of classical music? How are they to learn to appreciate the subtleties of classical music if they behave as they would in rock concerts?
Because the customer is always right. The audience is paying money for the tickets.

Would you really "not [be] against it" if, during the quiet moments of a recital or concert, to relieve their boredom, the uninitiated were talking, even quietly, among themselves, taking pictures of the performers and distracting others while doing so?
Not more than against coughers.

Wouldn't this sort of activity, if encouraged or even just allowed, cause concert venues to lose some of the regular members who do staunchly support such events?
Which is why I'd support the existence of concerts that come with a notice "Quiet during performances please. No loud talking, texting or coughing please."

It's happening already, I might add, that young people, even some music students themselves, are taking out their smartphones during recitals and if not distracting an entire audience by holding up their phones to get a "good" picture of the performance, are nevertheless playing with their smartphones in their laps where the lighted screens are as distracting as any noise or other disturbance in a concert hall.
Lighted screens are noisy? What smartphone do you have?
And if I wanted to soundhound an encore I don't know, I would use my smartphone as well during the performance.

Eh...I think you both are focusing too much on the exact details of what should and should not be appropriate behavior at concerts and skirting the real issue why the masses are more in tuned to enjoy rock concerts versus classical.

I think PatH got quite close by mentioning the sitting still versus not.

I read an interesting post long ago that helped me really understand Whiteside's books, that is quite relevant to the issue:

"Look at some video recordings of performances of rock groups and then of piano concertos. The cameras recording these events sometime pan onto the members of the audience. But it happens far more often at the rock concert - almost as if the crowd were part of the performance. Not much video of the concerto audience because the folks shooting it realize that nobody watches slent movies anymore - let alone “still”, silent movies, and that’s what people would see if they showed much of the concerto’s audience - a crowd of “statues”.

The behavior of the audiences at these two events is vastly different because that at the rock concert is “supposed to be” completely and unabashedly uninhibited (just like the performers), and the one at “The Symphony” is “supposed to be” precisely the opposite. Even though members of the symphony audience may be going through an emotional, AND PHYSICAL, experience every bit as intense as the rock crowd’s, similar uninhibited displays of rhythm at the concerto are not allowed - EXCEPT, ironically, by the performers themselves (!) and the audience - but only AT THE END of the performance, AFTER the music has stopped. It’s all about INHIBITING the rhythmic behavior that the music inspires.

Not surprisingly, the behavior of non-player folks sitting around at home listening to classical music is much the same.

When a young person enters public school he/she soon gets the message that quiet, studious behavior is the right way to be - “don’t act out” - and, unless one becomes a professional athlete, that really IS the road to success in both “blue collar” and “white collar” professions. Unfortunately, it does not represent the same in learning to play the piano, or, more accurately stated, the whole body technique to be executed PRIOR to “playing the piano” (making impact with the keys of the piano).

But it is not that rhythm has been lost in those people - it has been “internalized” - much as speaking can can be internalized to “thinking”. They’re both identical to their “external” counterparts, but neither is “visible”. I believe this must be the case, otherwise these people could not enjoy music, let alone desire to play it. (Children of professional musicians learn very early on not only how to speak, but also, by observing their parents’ behavior during performance, to “externalize” their rhythmic behavior.)"

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=1808.msg24157#msg24157

Yess!!
What came to my mind while reading this was the Ravel's Bolero, and how identifiable its pulse is. Maybe its popularity with non-classical listeners has to do with this?
Just a thought, great post.

B
B
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
What came to my mind while reading this was the Ravel's Bolero, and how identifiable its pulse is. Maybe its popularity with non-classical listeners has to do with this?
Just a thought, great post.

I thought its popularity with non-classical listeners is due to the fact that the composer conceived it as 'orchestral tissue without music', with 'practically no invention'? grin

Or maybe it's Bo Derek........ wink

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Unfortunately, what this brings to mind for me is a recital I attended during which one of a group of teenagers apparently felt an uncontrollable urge to writhe and convulse all over the place in response to the music, including flopping over the seat backs into the (empty) row behind. My main concern was controlling my own impulse, which was to toss this self-absorbed, over-entitled, poorly-socialized little attention-seeker over the balcony rail.

Oh, wait...I was supposed to be overjoyed that a group of teenagers was even attending a classical concert at all. Well, I wasn't.

But, back to your idea about motion and music - I get what you are saying, but in my experience, the majority of classical music isn't really toe-tappin' stuff. But, when it is, and if it is in a very overt way, I don't hesitate to discretely move my toe inside my shoe, or maybe a finger on my thigh. I don't think anyone sitting next to me has ever noticed me doing that.

But, on the other hand, I usually have no trouble with experiencing the kinetic aspects of classical music without translating them into physical movement. They register in my psyche as what they are, and that's enough. And that's not all that different from what happens with non-classical - there may be social situations in which people do respond physically to the music, but they may hear the very same music through their headphones while at work and not move a muscle in response. But they still enjoy the music.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I wonder if one day Beethoven will be just like Palestrina: a historic musician with large influence in his time, largely unheard today, aside from a few freaks.

There is purpose in the preservation of art: it remains while it's in the interest of the people in charge, it has nothing to do with quality. Classical music is a part of western art tradition that first began with Homer. The West is largely dying, being replaced by muslims, indians, chinese and gay people without kids. Luckily, the chinese really enjoy classical music. If no new revolution comes in and destroys all things past (including Confucius writings), then there's a great future for Mozart and company. At least while it can provide good showing for piano fu Lang Lang-style...

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Doritos Flavoured
I wonder if one day Beethoven will be just like Palestrina: a historic musician with large influence in his time, largely unheard today, aside from a few freaks.

There is purpose in the preservation of art: it remains while it's in the interest of the people in charge, it has nothing to do with quality. Classical music is a part of western art tradition that first began with Homer. The West is largely dying, being replaced by muslims, indians, chinese and gay people without kids. Luckily, the chinese really enjoy classical music. If no new revolution comes in and destroys all things past (including Confucius writings), then there's a great future for Mozart and company. At least while it can provide good showing for piano fu Lang Lang-style...

Ummm, what!? I have no idea what I just read...

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
a background in history should do the trick... wink

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Predicting the future is of course tough, but I'd guess Beethoven and Bach will still be played, long after the Beatles are forgotten.......

Poetry is rhythm
B
B
I wonder if one day Beethoven will be just like Palestrina: a historic musician with large influence in his time, largely unheard today, aside from a few freaks..

Are you living in 2014 or 1514?

Palestrina is huge with present-day classical choirs (whether adult professional, collegiate or cathedral), early-music enthusiasts, music scholars (especially of polyphony) and anybody with an interest in Renaissance-era music. Chat to anyone who knows about great music, and they'll tell you that great polyphonic music started with the great Palestrina.

I don't belong to any of the above categories, but I've got two complete CDs of Palestrina in my laptop iTunes (ripped from my CDs), as well as several shorter pieces culled from various collections of sacred music by British and German choirs. Missa Papae Marcelli is my favorite pre-Bach choral work.

And I'm not even a Christian, let alone a Catholic.

BTW, I'm not a freak, not even of any sort.......

P.S. A few quotes from Wikipedia:
"20th and 21st century scholarship by and large retains the view that Palestrina was a strong and refined composer, whose music represents a summit of technical perfection......Palestrina was famous in his day, and if anything, his reputation increased after his death......Palestrina's music continues to be regularly performed and recorded, and to provide models for the study of counterpoint."

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
sure, and still, if a classical music fan today - the guy who listens from Bach to Brahms - is rare, can you imagine how rare is early-music fanbase?

my point is: some day, common practice era music may just be so regarded as early-music too. With just as few(er) fans...

regarding Palestrina, he's very much alive today thanks to catholic church, their personal Bach of sorts... I really despise such ideologic idiocy, but so it is... no merit taken from his early music, though

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
my point is: some day, common practice era music may just be so regarded as early-music too. With just as few(er) fans...

That may be true, evidence points the other way, though. The quality of music composed has mainly degraded since the common practice era.

Poetry is rhythm
B
B

regarding Palestrina, he's very much alive today thanks to catholic church, their personal Bach of sorts... I really despise such ideologic idiocy, but so it is... no merit taken from his early music, though

You didn't read my post properly.

Palestrina is very much alive today because of his wonderful music, not because of his Catholicism.
The UK is not a Catholic country, unlike Brazil - and Palestrina is much more frequently performed in the UK than in Brazil. (BTW, samba is not big in the UK).

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bennevis
BTW, samba is not big in the UK

That's......good to know.

Poetry is rhythm
OP Offline

There's not much I could agree with there (to the extent I can understand it), but I am really, really shocked that somebody is in charge of art. Not sure if it's a relief or a scary thought, though. And what about gays WITH kids? How do they fit into that hodgepodge of ethnics that somehow are threatening Western civilization?

Most intriguing of all: what is 'piano fu'?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission