2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2340857 10/24/14 07:58 AM
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J

This is a work in progress. Life is strange, since I over the last year have doubted if I even can play the piano. Looking at me playing the first ballade seems surreal and after I learnt the piece a year ago I sort of experienced a mental breakdown. I looked at my hands, sat down at the piano and just... Couldn't play anything. I STARTED with the simplest beginner pieces thinking "I need to start all over". I has been a difficult year and I have almost not practiced anything at all. I am largely self taught which you might hear. This has been a reason for my doubts of course, along with the fact that I lived with the illusion that once you turn 20, you cannot learn anything new(I am now 20 and started playing at 15)... Sort of a neurotic illusion I guess, since I have realized now it is not true(which I have been given man examples of). Anyway, the last few months I have finally gotten weekly lessons with an excellent teacher, who has helped me getting my confidence up. I have now realized that my thoughts and wishes has to truly originate from myself, that we are all unique and that embracing our own and everybody elses uniqueness, without ever comparing with others, is where we can find each other and bring peace and joy to life. Anyway... Now to the ballade... I know it is not perfect, but still, I think it is not all that bad. You have to consider that I have only been playing the piano for 4-5 years with a long break in there, and that I am largely self taught. Now, this teacher I have has helped me enormously though. Another 5 years with her would be great!!!
Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvc8IRr8hk

I would be really glad if you could give me some constructive criticism on what you think needs to be improved and so on... Thank you all in advance!

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Jorleyy! Well, I enjoyed your performance quite a lot; I thought it was an amateur effort, in the best sense of that term -- i.e, I don't mean it as a left-handed compliment. I could tell that throughout that you had clear ideas about how you wanted to present this music, and for the most part I agreed with the musical line, dynamic ranges, and the emotional arc of this very passionate piece. I particularly liked the honesty with which you approached the technical demands -- it wasn't of course at a concert tempo, but somehow I found a slower speed very satisfying and compelling, because you're making a sincere effort to grapple with every difficulty while maintaining a musical argument, so to speak. Thanks for sharing this!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is extremely good with many moments showing much musicality, especially considering you've only played for 5 years and are largely self taught. I'm very glad that you like your current teacher and feel she is helping you.

When I played this for my teacher almost five decades ago, he stopped after the intro and said "Boy was that boring!". (He was right)

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/24/14 06:12 PM.
J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for these nice coments! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Jorleyy,

Your playing of this piece really inspires me and it was actually a very enjoyable listen. What I really liked was how you kept a very strong pulse throughout the piece and this really gave your performance a feeling of polish and held my interest. I actually think Tim's comments are very close to how I feel about your playing here. Nice job. I'm glad you found a teacher that is working out for you. Hopefully at some point I can play Chopin like this. I find it really hard to make something of his music.

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
thank you for your kind words pathbreaker. I am sure you will be able to play Chopin as well as you wish to play his music if you put the effort in!

N
N
Hey Jorleyy, very impressive you are working through this piece already. Please keep in mind though, I have a particular way I interpret the piece, so think about these suggestions with a grain of salt.

I have two main suggestions:

1) Shape your phrasing more. There are a lot of repeated patterns and notes in this piece. Repetition can be boring but not when there's shape and differences from one chunk to the next. Subtle differences within a certain phrase makes the story more interesting.

2) I found the piece in general somewhat on the heavy side. This is especially true for some of the cadenzas, which I prefer a light, satiny touch. The Waltz section should also sound lighter and and more flighty.

Here are my notes while listening through your recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uuv2a2mdjbwgdd/Chopin%20Ballade%20No%201%20notes%20for%20Jorleyy.pdf?dl=0

Have fun!

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission