Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2341066 - Yesterday at 03:18 PM Your Favorite key action under 1,000 USD?
login Online   content

I am looking to buy a new DP, I am stuck between this options. In your opinion which is the best action between this ones:

Yamaha GHS (p35 and p105)
Yamaha GH (p155)
Roland Ivoryfeel G (F20)
Casio models PX150 and PX5S

Thanks a lot

Edited by login (Yesterday at 09:02 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2341076 - Yesterday at 03:35 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
What does best mean?

I'm not sure you list the correct action on the Yamha models.

No matter, most would say the best in the sense of 3 sensors and piano-like feel is that from Casio, of those listed. I would say go and try for yourself and make your own mind up, depending on what best means to you.

#2341077 - Yesterday at 03:35 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Every one of those has its fans, and the only person's opinion who will matter is yours. Personally, of those actions, I'd take the Casio, and I suspect that may be the most popular overall as well, but you may feel differently. Also, if you haven't looked at it yet, you should add the Kawai ES100 to your eval list.

Since you only care about action, is your intent to use it to drive a software piano?

#2341086 - Yesterday at 03:53 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
The Yamaha P155 uses "GH" (better than GHS); The P35 and P105 use "GHS" (lighter, less like an acoustic piano.

The actions of Casio PX-150 / PX-350 / PX5S are identical. IMHO, they're as good as the Yamaha "GH" action.

Best "bang for the buck", for keyboard action, in that list, is the Casio PX-150. Most flexible music-making instrument is the PX5S.

. CHarles

PS -- I own a PX-350, and like it..

#2341091 - Yesterday at 04:03 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
- I also like the PX-150. It's now my travelling piano (when I travel!). I haven't tried the Roland.

#2341167 - Yesterday at 09:01 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
login Online   content

Yeah I agree "best" is very subjective.

Favorite/ppreferred would be a better definition.

I tried all models already, I am a beginner so I really don't wich feels more like a real piano or wich would be more tiring. I didn't like the Yamaha one that much, the roland was different, casio felt good. But honestly I don't which I would pick up, no clear winner.

#2341181 - Yesterday at 09:43 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
3000 Post Club Member

If I may repeat the earlier question... Since you only care about action, is your intent to use it to drive a software piano?

The reason I ask is that, if I were going to use a low cost piano primarily as a controller for a software piano, I'd probably choose the PX-150. But that's not what I would choose if I were going to be primarily playing the internal sounds.

Also, I noticed all of your choices had built-in speakers, except the PX-5S. Do you care whether it has internal speakers or not.

#2341195 - Yesterday at 10:20 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
bnolsen Offline

Loc: Colorado
nothing wrong with the casio. you'll need to have a good reason to justify buying a px5s over a px150 or px350.

#2341200 - Yesterday at 10:32 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
login Online   content

Yes,I have studio monitors so speakers are not a concern and I would also use virtual pianos most of the time (and because of this how good is the velocity sensitiity may be more important, I have read that some dp doesnt have a perfect linear curve and may skip values, is this true?).

I am also looking at roland rd64, it has the same price as the px 150 here and it seems to have better sounds. The f20 is more expensive (very strange pricing over here in Mexico).

So I might actually choose between this two (rd 64, px150), actions felt close and better than yamaha bur veey close between this two.

I also found cpd 120 second hand, how does the action compares to the px150?

#2341202 - Yesterday at 10:47 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: login
I am also looking at roland rd64, it has the same price as the px 150 here and it seems to have better sounds

If you're using virtual pianos most of the time, the better sounds is probably of less value than having the full 88 keys.

Originally Posted By: login
I also found cpd 120 second hand, how does the action compares to the px150?

The CDP 120 uses an older action that most people agree is not as good.

#2341236 - Today at 03:49 AM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Err, but the RD64 has a few keys missing! Yes it has a octave shift key, but for piano forget it.

The CDP120 is decent as a controller but the PX150 stands out here in this discussion, so far.

#2341238 - Today at 04:02 AM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Among the above, and purely in terms of key action, I'd take the Yamaha GH, i.e. p155.
Actally I'm still practicing on one, in one of the places I see regularly, alongside with acoustics and a VPC1 elsewhere. It works.

#2341246 - Today at 05:42 AM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Small spanner in the works here! Went round the piano shop couple of days ago, you know, to see and feel, and play a test piece. As you do. They were all OK from the Yam Clp585 down to the P105 and the DGX I have including some acoustics. I disliked the Kawai MP10. I really liked the Korg SL280 (think i got the number right, i'll check) which felt like GH only lighter. And its fully equipped with pedals and stand.

Edited by peterws (Today at 05:44 AM)

""

#2341263 - Today at 08:28 AM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
peterws
Do you mean the korg SP-280? That's interesting, because I had a horrible reaction to playing that board; I just found it horribly uncomfortable to play. Oddly, in the shop I was in they had the 280's predecessor (the SP-250 I think) next to it so I was able to and A to B comparison, and I found the 250 quite pleasant to play. That just goes to show how varied people's tastes are, and how impossible it is to make good recommendations about such subjective things as the feel of a keyboard action.

#2341288 - Today at 09:39 AM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: fizikisto]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
Oddly, in the shop I was in they had the 280's predecessor (the SP-250 I think) next to it so I was able to and A to B comparison, and I found the 250 quite pleasant to play.

The SP-250 used Korg's high end action, RH3 (same as Kronos and SV1). I haven't played the SP280, but I know it uses a lesser action, though it at least gives it a lighter travel weight.

#2341296 - Today at 10:36 AM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Anotherscott
Ahhh.. I wondered why they downgraded the action, I guess the weight is probably the main reason. I assumed it was probably the cost, but they kept the higher end action in the LP-380 (which is not meant to be portable), so that makes more sense. Though one assumes that the lesser action is also a bit cheaper to manufacture, so that might also have been a factor in the decision.

In any case, I was very disappointed with it. The SP280 has a pretty decent speaker system for a slab piano, and I found the sounds to be more than adequate. I probably would have bought one if they had kept the RH3 action in it.

#2341389 - Today at 06:04 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: login]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I really can't have any taste in dp keyboards. . .might be time for me to keep schmuck! So long as the bl..dy thing sounds good I'm happy. . .

""

#2341393 - Today at 06:10 PM Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: peterws]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Next time you play an SP280, see if it matches an acoustic piano:

. . . You can press a key all the way down, so gently that
. . . the piano is silent.

If I remember right, the SP280 doesn't do that. It always makes a sound.

I could be wrong -- I did the test a while ago. I remember not liking it, but (as we keep saying) there's a lot of subjectivity in these preferences.

_You_ get to play it, so _you_ had better like it!<g>

. Charles

#2341414 - 58 seconds ago Re: Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD? [Re: Charles Cohen]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Charles Cohen
Next time you play an SP280, see if it matches an acoustic piano:

. . . You can press a key all the way down, so gently that
. . . the piano is silent.

If I remember right, the SP280 doesn't do that. It always makes a sound.

Many DPs fail that test, but as purchasing criteria go, I'd rank that pretty low. I mean, when playing, how often do you need to do that? ;-)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano make
by ali123
49 minutes 26 seconds ago
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Who's Online
140 registered (Alan_Dublin, A Guy, alfredo capurso, accordeur, 36251, ajames, 37 invisible), 1438 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76656 Members
42 Forums
158492 Topics
2327604 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission