2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ataru074
as quick suggestion if you want an edition without fingering, you can get the new mozart edition here:
http://dme.mozarteum.at/DME/nma/start.php?l=2

you can add the fingering using another edited edition, but for Mozart, that is the best urtext.

thanks for the link, BTW

I noticed a few differences, some staccatos where none were before and that grace note.

in the historic edition there's in measure 21, which I'm kinda stuck so far, a trill followed by 2 grace notes that greatly complicates matters.

I notice in the above UR edition there's only the trill.

Is that right? Or is the trill supposed to be played followed by the grace notes (implicitly acknowledged in performance)?

I truly don't understand what is all about this UR text obsession nowadays. Was the composer so stupid as to be completely unaware of changes made to published material? Or did he agree with them?

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 10/24/14 01:23 PM.

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Doritos Flavoured
Originally Posted by Ataru074
as quick suggestion if you want an edition without fingering, you can get the new mozart edition here:
http://dme.mozarteum.at/DME/nma/start.php?l=2

you can add the fingering using another edited edition, but for Mozart, that is the best urtext.

thanks for the link, BTW

I noticed a few differences, some staccatos where none were before and that grace note.

in the historic edition there's in measure 21, which I'm kinda stuck so far, a trill followed by 2 grace notes that greatly complicates matters.

Is that right? Or is the trill supposed to be played followed by the grace notes (implicitly acknowledged in performance)?

I truly don't understand what is all about this UR text obsession nowadays. Was the composer so stupid as to be completely unaware of changes made to published material? Or did he agree with them?

Wow.....Mozarteum....very nice site! Thanks for the link!

Best regards,

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Urtext is about clearly displaying the wishes of composers, separately from the wishes of editors. Editors can be very smart and creative people, and if we're stuck on some point of interpretation (or if we are a young student who needs to be reminded not to play everything mf), an editor's idea can be very helpful. However, it's nice to know what comes from the composer and what doesn't.

Many composers didn't have control over what editors did with their music. Many probably didn't care, as long as the editor (employed by the publisher) was happy and the publisher kept buying compositions. And obviously composers eventually die, but people keep printing editions of their works.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

you can play that trill with or without the "closure" (that is what these grace notes are)... apparently Mozart leave the choice to the player, and the editor of that edition thinks is better with the closure.

well... let's start with measure 1.
in the B&H edition the 1/16 notes are all the same, in the NMA urtext there is a clear indication to shift the accent on the F starting the sonata like with a violin or an oboe... in measure 2 the articulation is different and I can keep going.
The best example of this kind of differences imho is in the Schnabel edition of Beethoven's sonatas vs an Urtext ( Henle or ABSRM) ... it's huge and both have their own merit.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
many fine tips for execution, thanks

yeah, those hateful editors, always getting in the way of art. How they butchered Poe! And let's not forget Hans shot first in the original authorial view. Oops, that censoring actually came from Lucas himself!

my point is that art is what is published and has a 200 years of tradition, even if it's not what the author originally meant.

anyway, I'm now following the URtext. Now I only need a Walter pianoforte and meantone temperament or something... smile

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 10/25/14 11:19 AM.

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hreichgott
Originally Posted by patH

Technically, there is one thing that my hand disagrees with; the alternating scales, like in measure 12 of the first movement (e-g-f-a-g-bflat-a-c) and throughout the piece. I guess slow practise on these might take care of the problems.

Are you dividing those runs into groups of 4 notes that can be played 1324? That's a good go-to fingering for those. While the 24 is playing, the 1 can sidle over next to the 4 to get ready for the next group.

The problem with this fingering is that the black keys get in the way; and the figures are in different keys, starting at different points. So there is no one-size-fits-all fingering; at least for me.

About the playing in the Yamaha commercial: the pianist seems to play very staccato. A few years ago I listened to a recording by Friedrich Gulda (I think) who also played the third movement rather staccato. Is this majority pianistic consensus? Because I play it a bit more legato.

But the beautiful thing about music is that there is no right or wrong. wink

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I didn't mean that every run should be played exactly that way, I just meant it is a good basic plan to work from.
The measure 12 run you asked about, I would play 1324 1324 then 31 on the next pair of notes, or maybe 21 to help move the hand over a little more in preparation for the ascending chord pattern.
Measure 35-36, the beginning of 35 can be played with thumb on the long D, then thumb on the high G, then starting the downward run from the last beat of 35: 1423 1423 1423 and 1 to start the ascending scale.
That's the kind of process I meant. I'm always looking for ways to use repeating 1324 on the way up/repeating 1423 on the way down, but there will always be exceptions and different things to prepare for beforehand/afterward.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
many pianists play early piano staccato to both showcase their technical prowess and to kind of emulate old pianoforte playing with less sustain

Bach and Mozart probably wanted more sustain and legato and would be amused...

unlocked by keys
- piano music -

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Composers have always explored a variety of sound from any instrument, and staccato playing is just one of many expressive sounds that is common for a violin, woodwind, or anything else. It probably has nothing to do with period instruments compared to modern ones.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
many pianists play early piano staccato to both showcase their technical prowess and to kind of emulate old pianoforte playing with less sustain

Bach and Mozart probably wanted more sustain and legato and would be amused...

When Bach and Mozart live nowadays, they would interpret their works perhaps in another way. So, what about UR text and interpretation? Of course we try to play their music like in the old times, but we can apply modern insights.

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
funny, I thought I would be able to edit my post.

Anyway, now I'm following the UR text edition found here:

http://dme.mozarteum.at/DME/nma/nmapub_srch.php?l=2

here's the part I was able to cover on week one, measures 1 to 10:

[Linked Image]

Most hard part was getting that coda at measure 10 right. Now I'm alright (mostly grin )

here's measures 10 to 22 that I'm still working on and should be the base for my studies for this week:

[Linked Image]

I agree with Johan that that run in 12 and 13 is kinda tough. My hand moves up crab-like with 1-2-4, don't know if it's right but it works. Measures 20 and 21 give me now the most problem, specially the trill. Gotta say the trill is far easier here, as I said, in the UR text than in the published text, as it lacks those grace notes... I'm grateful for that and will respect Moz's wishes... wink

I'm actually a bit past those sections, but still trying to perfect them. I'll record an mp3 soon...

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
Sorry to be so late to the party but I would like to join! I first looked at Urtext but decided to use an edition that spells out the trills and keeps left hand work on the bottom staff throughout the first twelve measures anyway-will try to finish 10 measures this week and hope to catch up- thanks for all the interesting information and for starting this thread!

qtpi
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
welcome aboard

never too late. Still trying to perfect week 1 and 2. It's amazing how after days of trainining things simply flow much more naturally...

Section 2 after the second coda begins with a new theme that is even more beautiful, can't believe it... *lovit* soon I'll post the section for this week...

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission