2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I'm sure there must have been a shorter way to say all this... ;-)

True, but when written down, even the simplest operations have a habit of sounding more complicated than they really are.

With regards to the MP7 SETUP operation, as you note, the previously used variation button (A, B, C, D) should be re-selected when changing the category and sound buttons (I will need to double-check this later...). Do you believe that this operation style is counter-intuitive or unpredictable? I believe it has remained this way since the MP8, and is not something I can recall receiving complaints about. However, I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you feel the implementation could be improved in some way.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mato
I think I will have to try the MP7 and the RD-800 out it person (hopefully somewhere in London) and also try lifting them as well!

I'd give Rose Morris in Denmark Street a call - they list the MP7 and RD-800 (among other models) on their website, so should have both models available to play-test.

If not, there are plenty of other piano shops in London, so just check the dealer locators on the Kawai UK and Roland UK websites.

Cheers,
James
x

M
Mato Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by anotherscott

I'm sure there must have been a shorter way to say all this... ;-)

Thank you for explaining in full how it works - for my usage a two stroke recall should be fine (and is a vast improvement on the current situation) using the 2nd and 3rd rows.

Originally Posted by Kawai James
I think I will have to try the MP7 and the RD-800 out it person (hopefully somewhere in London) and also try lifting them as well!

I'd give Rose Morris in Denmark Street a call - they list the MP7 and RD-800 (among other models) on their website, so should have both models available to play-test.

If not, there are plenty of other piano shops in London, so just check the dealer locators on the Kawai UK and Roland UK websites.

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks James, I also saw their website and thought they looked like the best bet. I'm hoping to go down this weekend to try both of them out.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
You might look at the Korg SV1: it has some limitations, but setting presets is trivial. It has eight "radio buttons" that work like an old car radio favorites bank. And since (with the available software) you can move sounds to any storage spot you like, you can put another six favorites in slot 1 of the six categories, so they can be selected by turning a single dial. You'd have to like the included Korg sounds (which are generally very good, but limited to acoustic pianos and vintage keyboards and a few electric organs), and it is quite limited in regards to splits and layers. I ended up being frustrated with the keybed and traded it for a Kawai, but it is very nice for presets.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8 • Kawai ES920
P
P
I agree with the complaint about the preset sounds on the Roland RD-800.
Roland calls them "live sets". You have 10 buttons (banks) "A" through "J"
and then 20 sounds in each bank for a total of 200.

When you press "A" you get A-01. If you want A-5, you have to push "inc"
4 times or turn the dial and scroll through a list (not so quick).

The Kawai MP7 has 8 banks and below that another 8 banks (total = 64) and below
those two banks another 4 buttons (4 x 64 = 256). So with the Kawai MP7, the worst case is pressing 3 buttons.

But, on the Kawai MP7 you cannot save a rhythm in a preset sound. Yuck!

For a rhythm you have to turn a dial to a rhythm category and turn another dial
to a sub-category and then select the volume and then select the rate.

With the Roland RD-800, you can save the rhythm with a sound. Much better.

This gets even weirder. The Kawai lets you record the sound and rhythm to a USB,
but the Roland does not record the rhythm (preset but not recordable!).

Online Content
Originally Posted by Paul Mann
But, on the Kawai MP7 you cannot save a rhythm in a preset sound.

As explained in my response to your previous post, the MP7 stores metronome settings (rhythm/tempo) to SETUP memories, not SOUND memories.

Cheers,
James
x

I agree with the complaint about the preset sounds on the Roland RD-800.
Roland calls them "live sets". You have 10 buttons (banks) "A" through "J"
and then 20 sounds in each bank for a total of 200.

When you press "A" you get A-01. If you want A-5, you have to push "inc"
4 times or turn the dial and scroll through a list (not so quick).

Totally wrong:
The rd 800 configuration must be made on the live set mode yes(like the kawai on the set up mode)
But you describe a problem before the last os,and on the "tone mode"
Now it's ok!:
Put all the presets you like on a live set memory(2 seconds to do that)and organize all your presets with your personnal feeling.

After,it's so simple to select them:
Just push the letter button(A-B-C...etc)and the number associated(with the number buttons):
For exemple A17:
One finger for pushing A(and keep pushing it),while another finger push 1and 7 (for 17).
Enter and it's ok(2 seconds)

And if you want to select another memory just do it with the same way)so 2 seconds to select for exemple the preset F-12...etc etc

No need to turn the dial,you turn the dial for selecting tones,but tones are not configurable.
All is configurable in the live set mode.
That´s so confusing for so much people because they think "tones"and not "live sets"
Think "live set".

And no worries,the Rd800 is a killer...
I'm using all these keyboards at home(rd800,cp4...and the Mp11 tomorrow)and on stage.
Believe me the kawai and roland are far better than yamaha for ergonomy,and very near together for the logical way to use them.

roland RD 2000,Korg kronos 2,korg PA4x,Korg sv1,,NORD Electro 5D
M
Mato Offline OP
OP Offline
M
So I went to demo the MP7 & RD-800 last weekend, and after about 3-4 hours decided to purchase the MP7.

To me, the MP7 was much more intuitive, simpler to use, nicer sounds and felt equally as well made.

I found the RD-800 to have a nicer action, but this was not surprising considering it was £600 more expensive. The screen was also very nice but not a big selling point for me. I also preferred the Electric pianos.

I was surprised that I didn't take to the piano sounds on the RD-800. I have had many Rolands and always liked the piano sounds - perhaps comparing it directly to the Kawai showed its weaknesses in that respect?

Although the Roland action felt nicer, I actually felt I got an equal amount of expression out of the Kawai despite what felt like a slightly shallower keybed.

Everything taken into account I decided that the MP7 was the more suitable board. I have had it for a few days now and am loving it. Got a bit frustrated trying to work out how to change an individual sound within a setup without saving over the others, but got there in the end.

I also bought a Gator GK88-SLIM case and a K&M 18810 stand both of which I am very impressed with; the stand is rock solid, not the lightest thing to carry around but I guess that's the trade-off.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

So I ... decided to purchase the MP7.

Congratulations! You're going to love this DP!!

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
You have bought yourself a very fine piano indeed. Hope it gives you many years of joy.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
So I went to demo the MP7 & RD-800 last weekend, and after about 3-4 hours decided to purchase the MP7.

To me, the MP7 was much more intuitive, simpler to use, nicer sounds and felt equally as well made.

I found the RD-800 to have a nicer action, but this was not surprising considering it was £600 more expensive. The screen was also very nice but not a big selling point for me. I also preferred the Electric pianos.

I was surprised that I didn't take to the piano sounds on the RD-800. I have had many Rolands and always liked the piano sounds - perhaps comparing it directly to the Kawai showed its weaknesses in that respect?

Although the Roland action felt nicer, I actually felt I got an equal amount of expression out of the Kawai despite what felt like a slightly shallower keybed.

Everything taken into account I decided that the MP7 was the more suitable board. I have had it for a few days now and am loving it. Got a bit frustrated trying to work out how to change an individual sound within a setup without saving over the others, but got there in the end.

I also bought a Gator GK88-SLIM case and a K&M 18810 stand both of which I am very impressed with; the stand is rock solid, not the lightest thing to carry around but I guess that's the trade-off.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Congratulations of your MP7 Mato! I still have yet to try MP7 and MP11.

OT: Funny you say that you like the sound better than the Roland. When I first bought my RD800, I felt a bit disappointed that the Concert Grand did not seem to sound as nice as my ES7 Concert Grand. Im a huge fan of Kawai's AP sounds. Im not bashing Roland. The RD800 APs sound fantastic but you certainly have to work to get it. The RD800 out-of-the- box default presets are far from being the most desirable sounds that can be produced IMO. After spending many months with my RD800 I can now produce/design the near perfect AP sound that Im looking for.

In the end, I love the RD800 sound, versatility, and especially the PHA4 action - very nice indeed. The editing functions are phenomenal if you have time and patience to learn all its true potential. It has been a great live stage piano for me. I've programed many live sets that I can fly around quickly. EQ is also excellent when quickly adjusting to my environment.

The simplicity of my ES7 is a pure pleasure for practice. I simply turn it on and it sounds and feels great without doing anything. Still my one true love!

Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
...After spending many months with my RD800 I can now produce/design the near perfect AP sound that Im looking for.

Please update the RD800 thread (the one that you started) with your most recent best settings. Also, any interesting live sets?

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by petes1
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
...After spending many months with my RD800 I can now produce/design the near perfect AP sound that Im looking for.

Please update the RD800 thread (the one that you started) with your most recent best settings. Also, any interesting live sets?

Yes, time to jump off this thread for sure. Post (or PM) what your are looking for in particular. Maybe I can help. Keep in mind that "near perfect AP sound that Im looking for" is to my taste and might not be liked by all.

Online Content
Mato, thank you for the update, and congrats on your new piano!

Regarding this point:

Got a bit frustrated trying to work out how to change an individual sound within a setup without saving over the others, but got there in the end.

I recently updated the MP7 owner's manual to add some additional information related to SETUPs, so you may wish to re-download it from the KawaiMP.com website. Also be sure to update the instrument's firmware to the latest OS.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
Mato Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Mato, thank you for the update, and congrats on your new piano!

Regarding this point:

Got a bit frustrated trying to work out how to change an individual sound within a setup without saving over the others, but got there in the end.

I recently updated the MP7 owner's manual to add some additional information related to SETUPs, so you may wish to re-download it from the KawaiMP.com website. Also be sure to update the instrument's firmware to the latest OS.

Kind regards,
James
x

Yep first thing I did was update the firmware.

Have downloaded the updated manual now, thanks James, that makes it much clearer regarding editing SETUPs.

Online Content
No problem - glad the additional info is useful.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission