2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I just started looking into these and damn are they hard. I've been practicing the the first one so far up to the 3rd finger and it's getting better and easier, but looking further I can see the rest of the exercises are quite challenging.

Anyone here tried them for a significant amount of time? Could you share your experience and any results noticed?

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
I just started looking into these and damn are they hard. I've been practicing the the first one so far up to the 3rd finger and it's getting better and easier, but looking further I can see the rest of the exercises are quite challenging.

Anyone here tried them for a significant amount of time? Could you share your experience and any results noticed?

I practiced them selectively for several years when I was a teenager. Definitely there are significant benefits. I'm not sure though that Liszt actually composed them.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Do you recall which ones you practiced?

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The first book of Liszt exercises looks a lot like Pischna.
Totally helpful with finger independence, esp. with fingers 4 and 5 and with gaining greater evenness in 16th notes. I have noticed much greater evenness, clarity, and ease in my playing since I started working on Pischna maybe a year ago.
If you still have those one or two fingers that like to stick up when you play, these could be very good for you.
You have to watch out for tension. It can just kill you in exercises like this because they are so long and repetitive. Don't just try to power through the exercise, try to play the exercise in the way you'd like to feel at the piano for the next 50 years. Stop immediately if anything gets tense, and restart more slowly making sure you can get from note to note without tension.
Non-playing fingers should definitely NOT lift up in exercises like this. Keep them limp and maybe in contact with the key tops.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I also noticed a few that look like Dohnanyi's exercises, I will continue experimenting. I tried the first 20 Hanon exercises a while back and I think they help great with accuracy, but these are on another level to help (as indicated) with strength and independence of the fingers due to the dynamic markings.

Check my videos @:
F
F
I've worked on the whole book a while back, and now I just play some selections, almost always the first few books. The first book is undoubtedly the most helpful... The one with scales alternating the hands is surprisingly useful, if you strive for evenness while doing it. There's some interesting stuff for the passing of the thumb too. But Heather already said it all: watch out for tension.

Last edited by Francisco Scalco; 10/29/14 03:12 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks I was hoping to hear that about the first set. Do you recall which number or book you're referring to about the alternating scales?

Check my videos @:
F
F
Book 3, number 52 and 53.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My experience is basically identical to Francisco's. I worked through the whole book back in my teens, when I still had about 6 hours a day to practice (sometimes more). I didn't have a teacher, but worked very slowly and made sure I was relaxed; I also watched in a mirror to check for joint collapsing or anything else I might miss watching from above.

During that period, my technique improved dramatically, but I stopped after a couple years and never really went back. Sometimes I do a few for a while, but wonder if I'm wasting my time working on pure technique...however, I always do seem to gain more control and even improve in sight-reading and so on, so perhaps it would be worth the investment.

I own the complete unabridged version, which I find incredibly thorough. Some of the latter exercises are pretty impractical (getting into the double note arpeggios and alternating hand sixths, etc...), but if they're studied carefully, they seem to yield good results for all areas of technique.

I'm inspired now to dig them out again...I feel like if one sticks with them consistently, they definitely work!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission