2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2343834 10/31/14 08:09 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I will be auditioning for college soon and would really love to hear everyone's thoughts on my pieces. I welcome your feedback and constructive criticism!

Prelude in B Major WTC Bk.1 Bach
https://app.box.com/s/nxk8wrnz4lpshvupazx2

Fugue in B Major WTC Bk.1 Bach
https://app.box.com/s/xydely87fuksjupfiemm

Prelude Op.32 No.12 Rachmaninoff
https://app.box.com/s/vodkirfg5lbvk4r56t5h

Sonata in D Major Haydn
https://app.box.com/s/rjrgnvuupe9mgebjg7gm

Sonata Op.120 1st Mov. Schubert
https://app.box.com/s/0k17cvqp53cfduybubvz

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Pianowhisperer,

Beautiful playing. It sounds to me like you are in great shape for college auditions. You have a strong technique, good stylistic awareness and a creative imagination that gives you something to say in your music.

I assume there is also in your audition repertoire a piece written within the last 100 years? Most schools will require one.

I listened to the pieces in the order in which you posted them, and until I got to the Haydn I was wondering if maybe you hadn't quite developed a light, sparkling sound when needed to complement the more cantabile tones and the heavier tones that you use frequently in the Bach and Rachmaninoff. But in the Haydn you clearly did it. Maybe go back and look at some places in the Bach (the fugue?) and the Rachmaninoff (the section around 1:20?) where a lighter touch might match what is happening in the music.

If you have anything that also can demonstrate a high level of technical development, like a fast etude or a more technically demanding sonata movement, that might help somewhat if the audition pool happens to include a lot of other applicants who are very strong both technically and musically. However, the Schubert does have some significant physical demands, like what you have to do just to make that pretty melody come out, and the judges will know how hard it is for sure. (By the way, I played that very Schubert movement for a college audition and got into the studio of a really terrific teacher, so it can be done :))

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your thoughts and I will definitely go back and look at the Bach and Rachmaninoff like you suggested. In retrospect, it would have been a good idea to go with a piece more technically demanding, but it's too late for my first auditions. I'm working on Chopin's 3rd Ballade right now, so I might could play that at some of my later auditions. That is a cool story on the Schubert! I always love hearing stories like that!

D
D
Nice clean playing in first Prelude -- a bit of pedal which I liked -- not too dry

Fugue -- impressive -- Trill speed needs to increase. A bit more dynamic contrast would be nice.
Feel you were least technically comfortable with this piece. Still you could hear the various voices -- as well as entrances - which was good.

Rach -- was very nice -- my favorite of the recordings -- nice liberty with rhythm and phrasing -- very good.

Feel you may have worked on this piece the most? Around 1:25 would like a little more clear in the flickering 16th notes (assuming these are 16ths)

Etheral, crystal sounding ending. Very impressive -- really enjoyed this.

Haydn -- Clean -- shows you've been practicing your scales and Hanon!

Came to life a bit more around the 2-minute mark -- showed the humor of Haydn.

Would like to have heard a bit more of that humor in the beginning.

Schubert -- Very nice playing -- some of thos big chords of the melody in the beginning -- you may want to break them to get a more legato sound.

Overall, you have a nice lyrical tounch -- which suits Schubert. Some difficult runs and octaves in this piece which you handled well.

You weren't bangy on those octave runs.
Overall a really good job!

What type of music do you enjoy playing most? I felt your heart was most into the Rach.

What schools are you looking at applying to?

Agree with Heather that playing something from the 20th century could round off the audition.

Have you ever tried (or heard) any of the Bartok Mikrokosmos? Books 4+5 have some short pieces that could be a challenge
but do not take forever to learn. Some interesting time signatures, chord-clusters and use of counterpoint. I had a teacher that
would pair these with Bach.

Remember to take a few deep breaths before your in-person audition. You'll be a bit nervous but you play very well and will show that.

I'm sure you will be getting your acceptance letter!

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you for listening and giving me your feedback!

I agree with you on the Bach. The trills are something that I'm still working on.

And yes, I have worked the longest on the Rach and have received input on the piece from several teachers. It's probably my favorite piece of my audition rep. I have lived with this piece for awhile and struggled to play it in a way that communicates my vision for the piece. I also have really fun memories wrapped up in this piece.

I'm still trying to navigate the humor and personality of the Haydn. I feel like I have "hotspots" in the piece that are good, but I tend to slack off in other sections.

Romantic music is my very favorite music to play. Chopin, Rach, and Schumann are some of my favorites.

I'm applying to Furman University, Wheaton College, Yale University, and University of North Carolina. I'm interested in colleges with great music departments that are apart of good liberal arts schools.

I just had my first audition, and I felt like it went well. There are always things one wishes had gone better, but overall I was pleased.

I agree with you and Heather that a contemporary piece would have been good. None of the schools I'm auditioning at require a contemporary piece, though, so I wanted to focus on my strengths. Contemporary music is very challenging for me and I don't particularly care for it.

Thanks again for your great comments!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission