2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dtshd Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello,

We are shopping for a new piano for my son and my wife. My son is 6 and has been taking classes for a month now. My wife has not play the piano for almost 20 years, she got to the highest non professional level more than 20 years ago.

There is a local group buy of either Yamaha U1 or Kawai K300, but we decided to go to a local store to listen to the piano in person and make a decision instead of just jumping on the group buy.

While at the store, we tried the U1, K300, Pearl River, Ritmueller and Perzina. My wife did not like the sound of U1 or K300 at all. Her preference in terms of the sound goes from Perzina being the best, Ritmueller, and Pearl River.

The Perzina GP122 is the highest price compared to Ritmueller and Pearl River. We were told by the salesperson that the GP122 is European parts assembled/made in China. I was not able to find any review on the GP122. When I googled it, I saw some old post from 2008/2009 that says it is over-priced and that is why I am here.

Are there any reasons I should not get the Perzina GP122? Anything I need to watch out for or ask specifically? Is it a good quality piano that we are buying? How about resale value? I have no knowlwedge on piano and would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hello,

You can find a lot of information related to this piano in the Piano Buyer online. Included in these links are a ratings chart (read the explanation, too), a list of "staff picks", an explanation about pricing, and a link to information about the brand (with a link on that page to current pricing).

http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall14/42.html

http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall14/47.html

http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall14/203.html

http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall14/184.html

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I remember to have played a few Perzina grands a few years ago. I think it was the GP-175 or similar. They have a pretty good sound, open and light. I can't comment on the uprights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perzina

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I've played a number of Perzina uprights over the last few years and consider them to be the top of the heap in their price/build category. I helped one on my college level students buy a piano about 18 months ago and he settled on the perzina gp122 after playing a bunch of different instruments. It was the right price for what he was looking for and he is happy with his purchase.
My two cents worth: I think the Kawai K300 is head and shoulders a better upright than the gp122. Far better action, and a more even tone across the range of the instrument.
Your wife's preferences could also be a reflection of the general level of prep and or how in tune the instruments she played were. I wouldn't make any decisions to hastily. Good luck.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dtshd

My wife did not like the sound of U1 or K300 at all. Her preference in terms of the sound goes from Perzina being the best, Ritmueller, and Pearl River.

The Perzina GP122 is the highest price compared to Ritmueller and Pearl River. We were told by the salesperson that the GP122 is European parts assembled/made in China.

I guess with your wife's credentials as a player, there's no point in arguing with her. grin

Perzina salespeople have always stressed that theirs is a European piano that happens to be assembled in China. It sounds good but it's dubious. The action, one of the most important components, is Chinese. The polyester coating of the cabinet is Austrian, but I don't know how important that is. It's just marketing. Every piano maker tries to market with a unique angle.

Still, Perzina is a survivor with a track record in the hyper-competitive Chinese piano export market. They have built their own Chinese factory; they're not just ordering pianos OEM. The action feels fine (to me) and the sound is pleasant, except that (to my ears) the 122 is a little bottom heavy -- really strong bass and nondescript mid-range and treble.

Ritmuller and Pearl River are from the same company, Ritmuller being the higher line of the two. I think the lower prices reflect the fact that Pearl is less well-established in the US market than Perzina. They've been here longer, but the first generation of pianos they offered here was not so great, and Pearl got a reputation for being bottom of the barrel cheap. Their newer lines seem to be a huge improvement.

I don't know of any red flags with any of three three, but reading all those links to Piano Buyer that terminaldegree posted would probably be helpful.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
T
T
Any reason you're not including Essex or Boston in your search?

If resale is a concern, go with brand recognition---Kawai. But if you plan on owning it for life, just go with what your wife likes.

Ask the store about their trade-in policy. If it turns out Perzina is not for you in a few years, they should give you a chunk of that to upgrade.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission