2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2346240 11/06/14 11:00 AM
C
Chiral Offline OP
OP Offline
C
When I retired I bought a Casio AP620 and began to learn the piano. I would now like to link the Casio AP620 to a laptop and take advantage of the one of the available software programs, initially Pianoteq. Attempts to use the demo of Pianoteq on my old laptop resulted in a horribly long latency.
Could anyone let me know of a suitable laptop, preferably one they use themselves that works well? I am familiar with Windows 7, so this would be ideal and as the laptop would be primarily dedicated to running piano software I do not require a top of the range model.

D
D
If I recall correctly you cannot use ASIO in the Pianoteq demo, which is what you need for low latency.

If you're going to get Pianoteq regardless, I'd recommend trying the full version (through ASIO) on your old laptop before buying a new machine.

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Were you using native ASIO or the generic ASIO4ALL drivers with your old laptop? If not, you might want to try it again, as it's really the difference between it working and not working at all. You can get the ASIO4ALL drivers here. Once they're installed you have to make sure you're actually using them in the Pianoteq setup.

http://www.asio4all.com/

I had good luck with the latency on an older laptop after using ASIO4ALL but wasn't able to solve the line noise problems, even with an external USB interface.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I used free AS104 All on my laptop. Worked immediately and eliminated latency. The computer wasn't even mid range.. Line noise comes from earthing issues usually and are common in the music industry. Insulate the earth pin on the computer and see if it goes. Use a bit of paper on something to isolare the earth connection.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Deffie
If I recall correctly you cannot use ASIO in the Pianoteq demo, which is what you need for low latency.

If you're going to get Pianoteq regardless, I'd recommend trying the full version (through ASIO) on your old laptop before buying a new machine.

I am running the demo just fine using the native ASIO drivers that came with my audio interface no problem. ASIO4all works fine too. AFAIK there is no restrictions on what drivers the demo supports. Just that it has timeout after 20 mins and some disabled keys.

I agree with the above though, try ASIO4all and see of you can better the latency, it makes a big difference over direct sound supplied in windows.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
C
Chiral Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Many thanks for your prompt replies. I have just downloaded ASIO4all as David suggested, run the Pianoteq demo and the latency has been eliminated. Will spend some time adjusting the demo and playing a few pieces. Many thanks again.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Two other things to do, to improve performance:

1. Set the "Power Plan" to "High Performance".

2. Use the wireless network manager (I forget what it's called in Windows 7) to _disable_ the wireless network (usually WiFi) adapter. That's more effective (in my experience) than just disconnecting from your WiFi network.

If you have problems, the Pianoteq forum is quite helpful. But it sounds like you're well on your way.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Friendly reminder for anyone else that may find this topic:

Pianoteq runs smoothly even with extremely modest resources. The official website lists something like less than 100 MB of RAM as adequate. Myself, I have ~1.8 GB of RAM (low-end Chromebook running Arch Linux) and that's plenty, no special sound card or anything.

In other words, if Pianoteq isn't performing well on your machine, it's probably because of some other component -- like in this case, sound drivers -- or a misconfigured JACK audio server, or a bad MIDI connection, etc., rather than the computer being too resource-constrained or old.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
M
M
A good option is to download ubuntu studio... it can be tested without installing, or installed next to windows very easily, no latency, no viruses...

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
L
L
Given that Pianoteq uses not su much resources from a mdoern CPU (i3, i5) you can fin on affordable laptops investing in the audio interface is key to get good performance. ASIO4all doesnt compare to quality drivers by steinberg in their UR range.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by login
Given that Pianoteq uses not su much resources from a mdoern CPU (i3, i5) you can fin on affordable laptops investing in the audio interface is key to get good performance. ASIO4all doesnt compare to quality drivers by steinberg in their UR range.

I'm using Steinberg's UR22 interface myself and it works well but my reasons for abandoning ASIO4all were twofold; the need to be able to readily play media and youtube files without switching drivers. Also the ability to independently control headphone and monitor outputs. But providing the OP has no specific need for an external audio interface I would disagree that ASIO4all fails to compare in audio quality. Rather than spend money unnecessarily I would urge trying out the free driver.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dire tonic
I would disagree that ASIO4all fails to compare in audio quality.

Audio quality is more dependent on hardware implementation and modern software-switched PC "HD" sound codecs are anything but "high definition" - especially if you're going to use the analogue outputs (use digital output and say hello to additional latency).

I got an UR-22 for Pianoteq, too. That greatly improved audio quality and latency (= realtime).

Yamaha P-515
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jtsn
I would disagree that ASIO4all fails to compare in audio quality.

Audio quality is more dependent on hardware implementation and modern software-switched PC "HD" sound codecs are anything but "high definition"

I've no idea what the above means.
Which codecs are involved when outputting audio through a laptop's motherboard?

- especially if you're going to use the analogue outputs (use digital output and say hello to additional latency).

How many laptops provide digital output, and therefore what, in your experience, are the implications for latency when using analogue, e.g. headphones?

J
J
ASIO4ALL does't degrade audio quality, because it works on digital audio. In my system, I use ASIO4ALL and optical output from the motherboard audio chip. The audio quality depends only on the external DAC.

Jack
L
L
But providing the OP has no specific need for an external audio interface I would disagree that ASIO4all fails to compare in audio quality. Rather than spend money unnecessarily I would urge trying out the free driver.

I didnt mention a difference in audio quality, just the drivers performance which allow for lower latency.

Last edited by login; 11/07/14 06:30 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ASIO4ALL seems geared towards providing ASIO support for chipsets that have no native ASIO driver.

I can confirm that in the two cases where I've tested ASIO4ALL against native ASIO drivers, the native ASIO drivers were better, although both were useable and down in the green in DPC Latency Checker. And these were just cheap audio solutions: an ASUS DG PCI card and a Behringer UCA222 USB interface.

In what way were they better?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm pretty sure in both cases the ASIO drivers were about 10-15 μs lower than ASIO4ALL. If I listened closely I could hear it, but both were usable. I just looked at the machine with the ASUS card and it looks like it's averaging about 75 μs in DPC Latency Checker. I don't know how to interpret these numbers, as I've read postings in other forums claiming their latency is awful at much lower values. Seems like a can of worms. All I can say is it sounds good to me.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And that will be the last time I try to be clever and use the micro character in my postings.

R
rpw Offline
R
You must be a superhuman if you can hear difference in micro seconds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission