2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
World's largest piano

[Linked Image]

OFF TO NORTH ISLAND: World's largest piano

Transporting the world's largest piano on its first North Island trip has been a rewarding challenge for Timaru logistics workers.

Piano builder Adrian Mann's 5.7-metre (18.7 feet) piano will be trucked to Auckland this week to be played and displayed in Auckland and Hamilton.

Nathan Kippenberger, the Timaru sales manager for transport company Mainfreight said it was the fourth time the company had trucked the piano, "but it's the first time it has gone in a container".

Kippenberger said moving the 1.4-tonne instrument presented Mainfreight workers with a puzzle, but figuring out how to safely pack it was all part of the fun.

The piano's owner and builder, Adrian Mann, said although he was a bit nervous about how the piano would withstand the trip, he was excited to see his creation visit the city of sails. "It's a bit of a dream come true really."

The piano, which is usually housed in a Maungati shed, will spend a month at KBB music store in Auckland before featuring at Auckland Philharmonic Orchestra concerts at the Waitakere Trust Stadium and further displays in Hamilton.

If the Auckland trip proved successful, Mann would investigate sending it to Australia, and perhaps America and Germany.

"It is a bit of a test run to see how it goes. It might be a bit impossible, but you have got to have dreams."
Ad Feedback

- The Timaru Herald

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/10444868/Worlds-largest-piano-off-to-North-Island

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Wow... 18.7 feet is long. More than twice as long as most concert pianos. I'm courious to know if it is strait strung? Is it louder or have longer sustain? Why so big..

Now I'm going to have to google it.

Thanks and enjoy.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
There is nothing really gain acoustically after 7'6". Sorry, I don't get what the accomplishment was.
With such a narrow design I would bet it has a sound similar to fortepianos rather than a modern piano.
To me this is a piano version of a King with no clothes. I hope this was learning experience for the builder and that greater things will come.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission