2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
I was just wondering what gear do you take to a gig, including your keyboard, stand, amp or pa system (or if you use the one provided in the place you gig), if you take a secondary board and for what use, any gig bag etc. Also, if you have various boards, do you prefer to take one over another? The purpose of this is to have a conversation and share different setups for the benefit of all and ask questions, so if you want to list your equipment you can do that as well smile

I guess I will start. I use my Privia PX-350 for church weekly with a standard X-stand for the moment but will eventually buy a foldable table stand (thinking of the Onstage KS7150). I also take my Onstage KT7800 Plus foldable bench (the chairs at church are way too low for playing). The monitor is always provided so I just plug it to the keyboard (Peavey KB-10) and to round it all up an M-Audio SP2 Pedal (this thing rocks!)

Casio Privia PX-5S | DMC-122 with Gemini module | Onstage KS7150 Stand | Audio Technica M40x Monitor Headphones | Roland Cube CM-30 PA/Monitor | Galaxy Instruments Vintage D and The Giant VSTs
K
K
My favorite gigs are the ones where there is a nicely tuned grand piano waiting for me.

Unfortunately there is only a piano at the venue around 60% of the time.

When there is a piano I still bring my own light, (Ultrabright conductors led light--works on batteries or can be plugged in with a 15 foot cord) because most venues don't provide a piano light.

When there is no piano at the venue, I use my trusty Yamaha CP33.
It's light (38lbs I think) and sounds decent and is very rugged and roadworthy.
I use 3 QSC K 10's(also around 38lbs), which are powered speakers. Because they are powered, I can plug directly into them without using a mixer (one less piece of equipment to bring).

I have been using the same seat and keyboard stand for the past 15 years.
The keyboard stand is a "x" style stand which I have never had any trouble with.
I like that it folds up easily and is easy to set up (I just open it up)

I don't take a secondary keyboard.
I am always worried about theft, so the less I have to worry about the better.
I've never had a keyboard malfunction or stop working during a gig (thankfully).

Yamaha CP4(gigs), Kawai MP7(home), Yamaha CP33(gigs), Yamaha P80(retired), four QSC K10's, Allen and Heath Zed 10fx mixer, Sennheiser HD598, Bachendorff acoustic 45"
P
P
Originally Posted by Kevin Keys
My favorite gigs are the ones where there is a nicely tuned grand piano waiting for me.

Unfortunately there is only a piano at the venue around 60% of the time.

When there is a piano I still bring my own light, (Ultrabright conductors led light--works on batteries or can be plugged in with a 15 foot cord) because most venues don't provide a piano light.

When there is no piano at the venue, I use my trusty Yamaha CP33.
It's light (38lbs I think) and sounds decent and is very rugged and roadworthy.
I use 3 QSC K 10's(also around 38lbs), which are powered speakers. Because they are powered, I can plug directly into them without using a mixer (one less piece of equipment to bring).

I have been using the same seat and keyboard stand for the past 15 years.
The keyboard stand is a "x" style stand which I have never had any trouble with.
I like that it folds up easily and is easy to set up (I just open it up)

I don't take a secondary keyboard.
I am always worried about theft, so the less I have to worry about the better.
I've never had a keyboard malfunction or stop working during a gig (thankfully).

My answer parallels yours almost exactly - except for the light, and the CP33 keyboard.... I use a Privia PX-350 instead (24 lbs, good action)... I like to travel very lightly!

Last edited by PianoManChuck; 11/13/14 03:49 PM.

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
Mine for vintage blues rock:
-roland rd 800 and nord electro 4/73 for big gigs.
If i need more sounds i can take my integra 7 with both.

I can take now a kawai Mp11 for big gigs if i don .t want to take the roland.
I can take a MOXF8 for little gigs..or with the others i i have to play more synth sounds(a combinaison of rd800,nord,integra 7 and MOXF8 is a good set for all i need)
My korg PA3X is a beast for piano bar type gigs(with eventuallay rd800 or the kawai.

I Have my personal wedges monitor(2 montarbo),and a personal in ear system(shure)
And all that premixed with a mackie VLZ3.

I bought and though all that with these ideas:
-being totally independant for my sound(personal wedge and in ears)
-having great hi level keybeds to play(for my pleasure)
-Being 100 per cent hardware for reliability
-Having multiple keyboards combinaison possible for versatility,and if a keyboard has a reliability problem i can play with others.

Another thing:
My electro 4 will go away next week after 2 years,and a brand new nord stage 2 compact will arrive to take the place in my set.

I have mutliple stands but always take a roland Vstand(with extention)
I have mutliple bags but skb hard case when i go far to put my keyboards on the truck.

roland RD 2000,Korg kronos 2,korg PA4x,Korg sv1,,NORD Electro 5D
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
lekanout,

A little off topic. How does the piano in the Integra 7 compare to the RD800?

Thanks

less good.
The rd 800 for the best pianos is better(not for the old pianos because the rd 800 has a legacy bank too less good than the best supernatural pianos from the integra)
Compariing the best supernatural pianos for both,rd800 is better and has a dedicated more powerful supernatural engine.
There are some same piano sounds(derived from srx)available in both.
Too much sounds in these synths to make a complete analisys.
Only roland can explain what samples they put on the one or the other.

One thing to notice is th eps:
Totally new on the rd800 and fr better than the integra.
But the integra has some good eps presets from diverses old srx,quite usable and interesting for some things.
Conclusion:
The best and last pianos and eps samples in the rd800 are not available in the integra.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
lekanout,

Thanks

glad to help you.

You know my gigging vision is as simple as possible:
I never use the integra pianos because of the rd 800 (or kawai)
I took the integra for the "all purpose"incredible soundbank:
Having 6000 sounds in one box is marvelous.
i loved and worked a lot with the SRX cards in the past.
I had a jupiter 80 3 years i absolutly loved.
I took the integra because i'm a big fan of the supernatural synth sounds from roland,and it was the best solution to have these in my set without the jupiter 80.

The integra is the best box(exept dedicated VA) everybody can buy to complete a stage piano and the only one on the market(the motif rack is older now)

Last edited by lekanout; 11/13/14 06:39 PM.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I had an integra, that's why I asked.

I gig with the PX5s and a Motion Sound KP-500SN. I get very positive comments on how nice the piano sound is.

So you must try the rd800:)
In france casio is not well known for serious use.
But reading in diverse forums happy users,i'm'sure they are very good keyboards especially for the price.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Casio PX-5S, Casio XW-G1, iPad and a Yamaha StagePas PA - Covers all the bases and is a very light and compact set-up.

My set up is very simple. When I jam with friends in a small pub, it's just my Casio Privia PX-3 and a single QSC-K8 speaker. Anything more than that will over-power my friends who are playing acoustic guitars. When performing with a group, I'll bring my Roland RD800, and put it through the group's PA. I avoid taking the Roland to the pub due to the weight, and due to my paranoia about possible beer spillage.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-5s, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Yamaha YC61, Pianoteq 7.0, Native Instruments, Gig Performer
My motto: Play and Let Play!
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I use my trusty Yamaha P-85 (weighs under 25 lbs) and a Roland VK-8m module if I need a Hammond organ. Light and easy setup.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Scott Hamlin
Casio PX-5S, Casio XW-G1, iPad and a Yamaha StagePas PA - Covers all the bases and is a very light and compact set-up.

How do you like the stagepas? Is it the 400 or 600? I've been toying around with the idea of getting a compact all in one thing like that, or going with nicer speakers and mixer.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission