2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Not the story of an acoustic (- my home circumstances won't permit one), but I came close to purchasing a digital that I'd almost certainly have regretted very quickly - simply because, being brought up on acoustics, I thought that any digital that didn't resemble an acoustic of some sort wasn't even worth my time trying out.

But I was persuaded by the store owner to just try that expensive black 'slab' for a few minutes......and it turned out to be way better than any acoustic-lookalike that I'd been playing on, in several different stores, for the previous few weeks. And I bought that slab, and am still playing happily on it four years later.

Though I'm not presently in the market for an acoustic, I've learnt that every piano is worth trying out - no matter what the brand, or even appearance. I've since played some unknown (to me) brands that 'sing' much better than another 'named' brand, which costs $$$ more. And smaller grands that sound and play much better than bigger ones. And ancient rebuilt ones that sound so much sweeter than their modern equivalents, for a fraction of the cost.

So, the lesson from my experience of buying a digital in 2010 is, don't judge a piano by its appearance, or name, or even size - and don't go to a piano showroom with pre-conceived notions of what a particular piano of a particular size, with a particular price tag and name should sound and play like. If it looks like a piano, waddles like a piano and quacks like a piano, it's a piano, but you still have to try it out....... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If we're talking about digitals then I will tell anything that breathes that Kurzweil's PC3LE8 was one of the worst digital pianos I've ever owned. A watered-down version of an overpriced workstation board that had non-graded key action and no global EQ. Crap on a stick. I don't know what possessed me to buy it. It went back to the store and I had to buy back my Korg that I traded in at a higher price.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
Jokes aside, IMHO this is a fairly serious question.

For years some people have "warned" quite explicitly against certain new Chinese made pianos though many have since climbed into the Upper level of Consumer Grade Pianos. While "origin" may have explained some things in past, it presumably "still does"

At same time others keep warning about the supposedly short "longevity" of these pianos notwithstanding the fact that many of the more famous Japanese pianos have long exhausted their prime in tonality after only 30 short years.

Unacceptable in many parts of Europe or the U.S.

So here's a chance for actual owners to speak up.

Larry Fine: please stay tuned in..

Norbert wink

A
A
My story about Kawai uprights :
Had bought a used Kawai US60M (52"/131cm) on mid 2009 from a local piano shop here, at that time, I did not really understand how a good piano is, I just merely know how to play piano. I tried the piano, sounds ok, touch ok, looks good, then bought it as my first piano. Few years down the road, slowly I began to learn what a good piano is, by playing many more pianos. Sadly the Kawai US60M was not up to standard of what big upright piano can truly deliver (in terms of touch and tone projection), even after some services. Fortunately, I found a good deal on Kawai K8 and I managed to sell the Kawai US60M soon after that to a beginner player. My Kawai K8 is now one of the best upright I've played in my life, it can even compete with other big brands' upright. The tone is sweet & mellow, touch is excellent.

Moral of the story, you can only get better by learning from your own experience, either good or bad ones. Never gives up to find your piano soulmate smile

Hamburg Steinway Model B
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Bought the Yamaha AvantGrand N1, returned it two weeks later.

Sort of quoting Roger Ebert. "I just hated, hated, hated this piano".

The good news is, this led to the purchase of our C2X which has been an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Wow, i've always been curious to touch and hear how an avant grand sounds and plays. Surprising to say the least.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Norbert
Jokes aside, IMHO this is a fairly serious question.

For years some people have "warned" quite explicitly against certain new Chinese made pianos though many have since climbed into the Upper level of Consumer Grade Pianos. While "origin" may have explained some things in past, it presumably "still does"

At same time others keep warning about the supposedly short "longevity" of these pianos notwithstanding the fact that many of the more famous Japanese pianos have long exhausted their prime in tonality after only 30 short years.

Unacceptable in many parts of Europe or the U.S.

So here's a chance for actual owners to speak up.

Larry Fine: please stay tuned in..

Norbert wink
What BS. Anyone who has followed piano manufacturing at all knows Chines pianos have improved so "presumably it still does" is nonsense.

As far as short longevity goes you talk about famous Japanese pianos losing their prime in tonality after 30 years, but the Chinese makes have been around for less than 10 and perhaps less than 5 years. So talking about longevity makes little sense for Chinese pianos.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

What BS. Anyone who has followed piano manufacturing at all knows Chines pianos have improved so "presumably it still does" is nonsense.

As far as short longevity goes you talk about famous Japanese pianos losing their prime in tonality after 30 years, but the Chinese makes have been around for less than 10 and perhaps less than 5 years. So talking about longevity makes little sense for Chinese pianos.

Serious question, don't most pianos even from the US or Europe, need some work after 30 years? Either some serious voicing but more likely need new strings and hammers - as well as a thorough regulation? I don't think this is limited to Japanese pianos.

There's a forum member here, forget his name, with a Brodmann that he claims couldn't withstand about 5 years of above average use. I believe he's a professional player so he played 4-5 hours/day. Japanese pianos have proven to withstand some pretty demanding and high use environments like university practice rooms, churches, concert venues, etc.

I also read a pretty damning review by a Brodmann owner that claims his piano became pretty much unplayable in less than a year. PM me if you want the link smile

So I would come back in 25 years when these new generation of Chinese pianos have been in use for 30 years before claiming victory over the Japanese pianos in terms of durability. I'm not saying they can't, but it's about 25 years premature to claim victory.

Online Content
Originally Posted by michaelha
Serious question, don't most pianos even from the US or Europe, need some work after 30 years? Either some serious voicing but more likely need new strings and hammers - as well as a thorough regulation? I don't think this is limited to Japanese pianos.

So I would come back in 25 years when these new generation of Chinese pianos have been in use for 30 years before claiming victory over the Japanese pianos in terms of durability. I'm not saying they can't, but it's about 25 years premature to claim victory.
Exactly.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
No! My only regret is that I didn't buy my first working piano several/many decades earlier than I did.

The two pianos that I have bought from PianoCraft (and that I wouldn't have gotten without the aid of Steve Cohen, who should pull his head out of his oven) have been fantastic.

If I live long enough, I may buy another!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
S
S
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
No! My only regret is that I didn't buy my first working piano several/many decades earlier than I did.

The two pianos that I have bought from PianoCraft (and that I wouldn't have gotten without the aid of Steve Cohen, who should pull his head out of his oven) have been fantastic.

If I live long enough, I may buy another!

Thanks!

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grandman
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Bought the Yamaha AvantGrand N1, returned it two weeks later.

Sort of quoting Roger Ebert. "I just hated, hated, hated this piano".

The good news is, this led to the purchase of our C2X which has been an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Wow, I've always been curious to touch and hear how an avant grand sounds and plays. Surprising to say the least.

It's a long story, and a fairly unhappy one. I wrote about it in detail in the Digital Pianos forums when I first joined in April.

Still, since I got full price for the N1 as trade in for our C2X, all's well that ends well. smile

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
The discussion about "longevity" has many facets and is by no means B.S.

If longevity means simply hearing a sound when pressing a key, most pianos will last at least 100 years.

But that's not the point.

Of at least equal importance is the sound and the quality of it over the years as a musical instrument.

If soundboards are loosing their crown by drying up, hammers are hardening making piano unduly bright by changing the sound spectrum of the entire instrument, then what does "longevity" really mean?

Why is it generally considered worthwhile to rebuild older American and European pianos, but few if any among those not exactly belonging to this group? With no Colleges needing to stage their annual "College Sales" to receive brand new pianos after having used their existing stock for only one year?

It's quite obvious that none of this has to do with 'reliability' - but sound and "sound retention" over the years.
And/or plain business.

Meaningful longevity of course would void the constant push by the industry to "upgrade" and buy a "better yet" piano after only few years.

So it's evident that 'longevity' is a complex not exactly "easy" subject. And it's certainly not B.S.

What has become popular here [by some] is to readily point out the presumed excellence of some makes at the expense of others.

Perhaps the "Chinese" provide a [presumably for now..] "convenient" target: for one they have only been few years on the market but perhaps more importantly,they have by now become the biggest thread to certain others.

Which if I may suggest,is the very point for the ongoing, highly targeted and relentless criticism by certain members here.

And that's exactly where some major "mistakes" can - and IMHO *are* being made.

Except it's not about "mistakes" any longer.

It's pretty having become plain resentment for the success of some of the pianos we represent.

With a generous added measure of [attempted] bullying and side-stepping.

Hidden industry interests hiding behind some anonymous pseudonyms?

Appearing in full force whenever chance is given?

Not exactly B.S....

Norbert frown

Last edited by Norbert; 11/19/14 06:43 PM.

Online Content
The discussion about "longevity" has many facets and is by no means B.S.
No one said a discussion of longevity was BS. Two posters said your comments about longevity were BS.

What has however become popular [by some] is to readily point out the presumed excellence of some at the expense of some others.

Originally Posted By: Norbert
It's meaningless to argue here, the PIANOS we offer are without doubt the best quality at their price point.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

Why is it generally considered worthwhile to rebuild older American and European pianos, but few if any among those not exactly belonging to this group?

This has nothing to do with 'reliability' - but sound and "sound retention" over the years.

You should know better, this has nothing to do with sound retention, but economics. It's not worth spending $25,000 rebuilding a Yamaha C3 because a new is about the same price. But a Steinway would be more worth rebuilding because a new one is easily double or triple that.

We'll see in 10 years if anyone's going to spend $25,000 rebuilding a Ritmuller. I seriously doubt it.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
My Estonia L190 has been a nightmare. No matter what has been done to try to remedeate it, it still sounds terrible. Trying to sell one is harder than fixing one.

No need to defend it Norbert, it is what it is...

S
S
Originally Posted by Mark...
My Estonia L190 has been a nightmare. No matter what has been done to try to remedeate it, it still sounds terrible. Trying to sell one is harder than fixing one.

No need to defend it Norbert, it is what it is...

Norbert need not defend it, however I will.

While it may be true that you have had problems with your Estonia I can tell you that you are, BY FAR, the exception to the rule.

Estonia pianos are excellent instruments and the company stand behind their instruments absolutely.

Please PM me the details of your problem and I will intervene on your behalf.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Thanks Steve!

Also: very sorry to Mark!

As perhaps can remember, I have tried on several occasions to help out but have never fully understood the problem.

It's something very difficult to get "long distance".
Especially when involving a sound issue that one can't hear oneself.

Disappointments can happen with any piano: recently someone voiced what he perceived as as problem with a Sauter Delta in Sweden involving one particular string: again I was not able to fully understand what exactly the problem was.
[ P.S. Nor did his tech who had apparently come out several times...]

Mark lives near New York and there surely must be someone who should be able to shed some light at the issue. Besides there are dealers not too far like Ori and Rich.

In cases like that nobody needs to put his head in sand but should step out helping as much as can. Even if it's not his own customer. I certainly tried my best.
[Thanks again Steve.. thumb ]

The best resource in such case is always one or several experienced technicians who should inspect the piano 'on site'.
Everything else is simply guessing around.

Receiving a report by a tech and then forwarding it to manufacturer,I know of no company which would not fully stand behind a customer these days.

Most certainly not Sauter and Estonia....

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 11/19/14 08:07 PM.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Slightly OT, but are there any dealers in the Seattle area that carry a good assortment of Estonia's line? I heard a demo of their new 210 and wanted to spit take. Its not often a European piano of the same size of my piano makes me feel jealous.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I have some mixed feelings about my 69 M&H Model A.

MH is an excellent brand, of course. And it's a beautiful piano, in great condition. It sounds good to me, though my ears are not as great as many folks on here.

My beef is that I have a tough time playing softly. I don't think that it's as responsive as I'd like, and I plan to have my RPT work on it soon. He thought it was a good buy, and a big step up from my old Kawai 41" console. But I think that the diff in playing a console made it hard for me to know whether I liked it or not because a grand feels a lot different.

When shopping, I suppose I could have looked longer, though I went to quite a few shops in the area. Probably over 90% of the pianos around here are asian, and many were too bright. This one was in my budget, and it was a step up, even though it's from the era when MH wasn't at their best. So, I've had it a year, and have upgrade lust already, haha.

It had a 5 yr warranty so maybe when that's up, I'll be shopping again, and I'll be a better player by then, so maybe I'll be happier the next time.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
No real regret here, but anxiety and discouragement over work needed that I believed would not be necessary 14 years after purchase...and cannot afford. This really deserves its own thread...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission