2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here comes the fourth batch for the suites recital. Enjoy!

Dieupart, Suite No. 6 in F minor – performed by Cinnamonbear

https://app.box.com/s/zrzfei0g71sxgpk95rth

It goes:

I. Ouverture
II. Allemande
III. Courante
IV. Sarabande
V. Gavotte
VI. Menuet
VII. Gigue

I worked from a score that was "typeset by Hermann Hinsch using PMX, revised April 16, 2003," which I found and downloaded from IMSLP, PDF: (http://imslp.org/wiki/Suite_No.6_in_F_minor_%28Dieupart,_Charles%29. In working through this project, I studied several performances on YouTube of various transcriptions: solo harpsichord; ensemble block flute and harpsichord; ensemble block flute, violin, cello and pipe organ; ensemble harpsichord, block flute, violin and cello. I also studied examples of period dance. YouTube is a creepy and wonderful thing... Alice had her Wonderland, I have my YouTube. I tried to maintain an appropriate dance tempo in each movement.

This was recorded using a Tascam DP-004 with the built-in condensor mics, and processed with CuBase AI4. Recorded, mixed and mastered at Walter Mitty Studios, Ltd., (very ltd.). Walter Mitty plays the Mighty Lester--a 36" spinet built in 1940, partially refurbished in 2011-12, and tuned to A440 in the Equal Beating Victorian Temperament III (a mild well-temperament).

I hope I have given you something worth listening to.

J.S.Bach English Suite no.5 performed by Mark H

https://app.box.com/s/z66e026t878ysx21ra3n

English Suite No. 5 is unique among the English Suites in that it starts with a three voice da capo fugue as its prelude. Following that, is a beautiful allemande, a driving courante, a resigned but beautiful sarabande, a set of respectively energetic and serene passepieds, and a concluding gigue. I think in particular that the two passepieds, contrasting as they do, and the gigue (in which the second half is an almost exact inversion of the first half) are remarkable.

I recorded this in one single take on my Yamaha Clavinova. There are a few awkward pauses and stumbles in the prelude in part due to the need to turn pages, but fortunately, all the other movements had sections that were two pages long. I didn't edit anything except to splice away empty space between the movements to the ideal length. I have found so far in my pianistic life that playing the keyboard suites of Bach is one of the most satisfying things that can be done. It can be frustrating, because errors are so clearly apparent, and much of the difficulty is musical rather than technical, but playing through a really good performance feels like such at epic journey!

Händel - Suite No. 15 in D Minor, HWV 447 – performed by Cinnamonbear

I. Allemande
II. Courante
III. Sarabande
IV. Gigue

https://app.box.com/s/14wiyoqsdmgiac15pphb

Grieg – From Holberg’s time – performed by jeffreyjones

https://app.box.com/s/gkfj3710oo0v7wijects

Debussy –SuiteBergamasque – performed by woodog

These recordings are indicative of where I’m at in my piano journey (hint: this means room for improvement).

I got a Bachelor of Arts in music from WKU in 1990, but didn’t play for 20+ years until finding the piano I’m playing (1954 Baldwin L) at an auction I attended in March of 2012. I got her for $500. She was really beat up but I saw a glimmer of hope in her. Since that day I’ve put in new hammers (Ari Isaac Cadenza hammers, bored and mounted to WNG shanks by Keith Akins), bushings and keytops and completely regulated the action by myself. Next up, new strings, recondition the termination points, and dampers (listen to ‘em oink, will ya????!!!). I do have access to better pianos, but this one is my baby. I also am learning to tune because of my interest in unequal temperaments, and currently she is tuned in an unequal temperament, Koval 1.3.

She’s got clicks and clacks still, old lady that she is, but I love her still.

I’m an adult amateur who is trying to learn how to play again (if that’s not readily apparent to you). I put it on YouTube (home of nasty fly by commentary) so momma can see me.

In August of 2012 I started lessons again. Performing has always been an anxiety producing thing for me, but I wanted to do this. Somebody told me it would be good for me.

I’ve loved this Suite (the Passepied especially) since I was a teenager wearing out a record (ask someone over 50 to explain) by listening over and over again. I started to learn these in Jan/2013 and this recital gave me a goal to work for. Now I’m going to put them to sleep and bring ‘em back next summer when my chops will be better (hope springs eternal).

Prelude
http://youtu.be/L28FS9ZJokY

Menuet
http://youtu.be/IWthJGaGZdE

Clair de Lune
http://youtu.be/dE6gevFedPI

Passepied
http://youtu.be/o3-APYcSXTc

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Forrest--I had to listen to this right away because I have been waiting eagerly to hear you play it since you signed up for the e-cital! laugh

I love the way you allow the musical revelations to unfold while you play--you are a very sensitive and patient musician in that respect. At the same time, your control of the intentional development of each musical sentence in each musical paragraph in each chapter of this suite is clearly evident. In your performance, in each one of these movements, there are many beautiful tonal Debussy moments and your tuning of the Koval 1.3 fits it very well! I hear energy and colors in it.

I am looking forward to hearing this from you again after the next round of technical improvements. On your piano, I mean! grin I already like the way that you play it--I mean, the ending of the Menuet is adorable!--and another year of letting the suite stew on a low burner, plus intervening work and performances of it and other pieces will only cause it to become even more a part of you than it is already. Once you get those dampers to cooperate, you will be able to ride those tones to new places! (I am sure you already know that! wink ) Great work on all counts!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
This is going really fast, because of this half-year preparation phase I was expecting something like one batch per week... I have only an hour or so on friday to listen to these frown

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
I'm not going to rush listening, but I prefer completing the publishing as soon as possible. I may need the rest of the month or perhaps the whole year to listen to and give my comments to all the music.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Boy -- everybody oudoing themselves!

Cinnabon Man -- You sure as heck did your homework on these Suites! One can feel the effort that it took to get just the right sense of cadence and phrasing to bring these pieces to life. Of course, you explicitly say that regarding the Dieupart, but it's also abundantly clear in both Handel Suites. I'll give Handel credit for the Suite in this batch -- it's well nigh perfect musically, IMO. A poignant first statement, and three dance episodes culminating in the Gigue. Just really well performed!

Hi, MarkH -- You've got guts, man! Those Preludes in the English Suites are massive and complicated, and you really need extended powers of concentration to get through them. To do the whole thing in one pass is a risky venture (although unquestionably the path one SHOULD take). For me, your best stuff occurred in the two Passepieds and the Gigue -- I thought that you were really "zoned in" on those. Personally, I'd add more ornamentation to the Sarabande; the effect for me was a little too bare and ascetic. Also, I'd consider giving the Allemande a little more dance flow, albeit a slow and graceful one. But really an enjoyable listen. In the past (meaning about 40 - 45 years ago), I had learned English Suites 2, 3, and 4 quite well -- but never got to number 5.
A most instructive learning experience!

Jeffrey Jones -- Well, briefly put, this ranks as my favorite to date! No small feat, considering the quality of the other submissions. I loved the way you maintained the orchestral nature of this composition, with grand romantic gestures where needed. For me, it is one of Grieg's most heartfelt works, and it never fails to move me when I listen to it. I also loved your making the "Aria" the clear emotional centerpiece of this Suite -- so Bachlike in its intensity and yearning! Also, I really liked the resonation of your piano studio; it really has a very "live" quality which for me enhances the listening experience. Just - bravo!

Woodog -- Just a very solid, beautiful presentation of this early Debussy suite. You have what I call "soft hands", and this feature serves the music of Debussy especially well. By and large you and I are in agreement as to how the various pieces "move"; I don't have any significant quibbles regarding your interpretation. By all means, continue your presence back into the pianistic fold; you have a great groundwork to draw upon.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Just gotta say again that I'm absolutely floored by the overall quality of the submissions to this e-cital.

Andy - Your approach to this suite is personal and introspective - yet always effective. Thank you for learning and sharing this.

Mark - I loved the passapieds and the gigue but was blown away by your playing of the opening prelude. The few hiccups are inconsequential, and the fact that you made this recording in only one take is very impressive. Your love of and respect for this music clearly shines through - and the Clavinova sounds great.

Händel - Suite No. 15 in D Minor, HWV 447 – performed by Cinnamonbear
Andy - You've become an accomplished player of baroque keyboard music (and you certainly seem to have immersed yourself in it over the past few months). Such an intelligent and musical rendition. This is my favorite as well.

Jeffrey - I wasn't expecting your approach to this marvelous suite to be quite so bold and orchestral. I've played the first four movements myself and know how challenging they are. I was particularly impressed by the final movement. Masterful playing. Bravo !!

Forrest - We ALL have lots of room for improvement. ha For someone who didn't play for 20+ years, you've more than made up for lost time. This was an excellent performance - and I'm sure your Momma is proud ! thumb Your Baldwin has lots of character - and the lush view from the adjacent picture window is a music maker's dream. I felt you had the most success with the Prelude (beautiful), Menuet and Passapied. The Clair de Lune seemed a bit tenuous and rushed at times. When you come back to it in a few months, perhaps try to take your time and give it more room to breathe. Certainly hope to see and hear more of your excellent playing here in the future.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Mark, this was a joy to listen to! You strike just the right balance of percussive pushme-pullyou on the y-axis, and then you balance drive and sustain on the x-axis. Layers and voices, intertwining harmony and melody--everything that is so attractive about counterpoint, played with subtlety, decorum, and feeling! Which leads me to comment on the other axis that your playing conveys so well in full--that is, the joy of life that is never without challenges, challenges being part of the joy--the "meaning" axis. And I am *not* talking about the little performance wibbles and wobbles there. Those were easy to overlook. I am referencing how Bach weaves together joy through challenge in the meaning of his compositions. In my opinion, your playing conveys "Bach" completely. Also, I love whatever settings you used to create the sonic space for your performance! It is very easy to listen to as an audience member, and it sounds wholly appropriate, imho.

Masterfully played, Jeffrey! I commented in a previous e-cital that you had found your pianistic voice, and judging from this performance, it just keeps getting stronger and clearer! Bravo! Excellently done!

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 11/10/14 12:13 PM. Reason: got axes reversed

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

No new comments in eight days. frown

I certainly hope folks are listening to the wonderful performances here....

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
I have been quite busy the last week, but I'll give my comments to the remaining pieces (batch 4 and 5) in a few days. I also hope that people listen to the music. I think all participants spent a lot of time preparing for this recital.

V
V

Generally I like your performance.

Good things:
- clarity
- ornaments (almost all)
- musical playing
- hearing voices
- that you recorded it as whole thing

Bad things:
- some mistakes frown
- digital piano (I heard that without reading your description), but it's not your fault wink

I know that it's demanding piece, it's hard to focus enough to play it without mistakes. You could avoid some by memorizing this piece. It's good, but as a listener I have a problem: your mistakes sometimes interfere with the beautiful music you are creating. You did a good job, but you can improve it.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

I’ve loved this Suite (the Passepied especially) since I was a teenager wearing out a record (ask someone over 50 to explain) by listening over and over again.

The Passepied is also my favorite and you play it well along with the rest. Thanks for taking part!

BTW, I've worn out CD's, 8-tracks, and cassettes, too!

Wearing out an 8-track is kind of easy.

Last edited by Damon; 11/19/14 10:20 PM.
M
M
I still need to listen, but my days and concentration are taken up. I wish I had the ability to concentrate longer. Anyways, I do plan to listen and offer my meager comments. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
At last I found time to write my comments to the pieces of this fourth batch. The fifth batch still will have to wait a few days. Sometimes I have a feeling that I’m not really qualified to comment on performances on your level. Being neither a professional player nor a teacher I’m just going to give my personal thoughts about the music and how it is played.

Dieupart, Suite No. 6 in F minor and Händel , Suite No. 15 in D Minor, HWV 447 – performed by Cinnamonbear

These are both baroque suites played by the same performer and on the same instrument. Every single movement of the two suites were so excellently played that it is difficult for me to say more than that I just enjoyed every minute of it. I think that the sound of the spinet suites the music very well. I appreciate the consciousness about the character of the individual movements. I can hear from the performance that a lot of effort has been put into the study of the music.

Performing this suite must be a tremendous job. I understand very well that you decided to skip the repetitions here. Although I have never heard this suite before I was caught by the music from the first moment. I think your performance was very extrovert and it was really fun to listen to it. I appreciate your clarity of playing. It was very easy to follow the melodic lines throughout the piece.

This suite was originally written for the piano, but from my young days I almost never heard the piano version of it. The orchestral edition, on the other hand, was very often played on the Norwegian radio.
I never tried to play this music myself, actually considering it to be almost unplayable. Therefore I’m highly impressed by your performance. You give some of the orchestral feeling to the music. Dynamics and tempi are excellent, and it was a real treat to listen to this music.

Although this suite was composed by Debussy I consider this to be late romantic rather than impressionistic music. It is one of my favorite compositions, and I have also spent quite a lot of time trying to learn it. Like many others I consider the Passepied to be the highlight of the suite, but also the Menuet is amazing. Unfortunately I never succeeded getting past the beginning measures of the Menuet and the first page of the Passepied.
I’m therefore highly impressed by your performance. You seem unaffected by the technical difficulties and manage to make the music flow. I also like the sound of your piano. Thanks for participating.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
You know, I've only heard Andy's contributions, and that is because I was at the university and he had posted his pieces in another thread about unequal temperaments, but currently our yard is torn up as the cable company FINALLY added a new node to their network and I will soon have a speed that lets me view/listen.

Life at dialup speed is... Well.... Frustrating.

I can't wait (well, obviously I've been doing just that)

Plus, I would really rather hear them on my home stereo rather than the computer speakers. Thanks for your kind comments, and I'm looking forward to hearing all of the suites.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

That was great Andy. I should have read your description first because I followed along with the score, but it wasn't the score you used. Boy was I surprised!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

That was great Andy. I should have read your description first because I followed along with the score, but it wasn't the score you used. Boy was I surprised!

Whoa! Do tell!!! laugh What score did you use?!? There is only one that I know of, and that is the one that I used. (I probably took liberties with that one, too, being a poor reader. *a'la'hem*. Or should I say, "Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité," viv l'Dieupart! grin ) Seriously, Damon. What score did you read my "performance" against? I'd like to read it against it, too! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear

Whoa! Do tell!!! laugh What score did you use?!? There is only one that I know of, and that is the one that I used. (I probably took liberties with that one, too, being a poor reader. *a'la'hem*. Or should I say, "Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité," viv l'Dieupart! grin ) Seriously, Damon. What score did you read my "performance" against? I'd like to read it against it, too! grin

It was a score on IMSLP but it didn't include the embellishments and the Allamande didn't "swing" smile It also had fewer notes in general. You apparently used the transcription for harpsichord.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
What score did you read my "performance" against? I'd like to read it against it, too! grin

The Score I used

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What score did you read my "performance" against? I'd like to read it against it, too! grin

The Score I used

Ah! Thank you, Damon! Here is the one I worked from:

The Score I Used

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

https://app.box.com/s/gkfj3710oo0v7wijects

This was tremendous Jeffrey. I was unaware of this piece. Is this originally for piano; I didn't think there was any Grieg piano music I hadn't heard? Very dynamic and rhythmically tight. I hope you don't mind if I download it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission