2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi all,

I have just purchased my first piano, it is a 1970's 'Cable' Upright. It seems to be in fairly good working order except some of the hammer felt tips are missing or coming off. I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase new tips and I would prefer not to have to replace all the hammers, any advice?

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
In most instances hammerfelt separation is indicative of more serious problems.

Have you had a tech evaluate the pianos?

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

OP Offline
"hammerfelt separation is indicative of more serious problems."

Hi Steve, I don't think so, just the felt separating from the hammers. Any advice?

P
P
Hi,
Go to http://www.aptta.org.au and find a qualified piano technician in your area. Your Cable was made by American Aeolian, and hammer felt separates from their wood cores on occasion. Severe climatic conditions (very high or low humidity, heat, sound familiar?) can make this more likely. A piano technician can replace the set of hammers, if the condition of the piano is otherwise OK.

Last edited by Patrick Draine; 11/23/14 08:05 PM.

Patrick Draine, Registered Piano Technician (PTG)
Draine Piano Service
OP Offline
Hi all, I have bought this piano as a project so I can learn how to do this stuff myself for the rest of my life. Its clear there are a lot of Piano Technicians on here that would prefer I help out their industry but I live in rural Australia and I doubt any of you will fly in to help.

Its is very hot and humid here in the summer months, I have no doubt that the glue has just deteriorated, however there are also a few of them missing. The advice I am after is whether or not I can purchase the hammerfelts separately (can't find any online), or if I need to replace all the hammers. I would prefer not to replace the hammers as they, along with the rest of the Piano, appear to be in good condition.

Cheers

Last edited by Beachdingo; 11/23/14 08:23 PM.
I have two hammers that have separated pretty bad on my 1980 Baldwin Hamilton. Others have smaller cracks I hope to seal very soon in hopes that nothing worse starts. Florida is hot and VERY humid, and I bought it from a dealer selling pianos out of a self-storage garage.

I've been thinking of finding some small C clamps and try gluing them back on. Just today I've been tuning the piano, and I thought, what the heck, I'll give a shot at those two hammers with some PVC pipe glue- I use this quite successfully for sneaker soles coming off, though it is expensive and I don't always have it around .

Anyway- I didn't have much luck with a quick attempt. The round applicator from the PVC cement was not good at getting the glue into the felt, and wouldn't hold. The felt seems to absorb quite a lot of it- Clamps are definitely needed if regluing is possible at all.

Later after I'd put the glue away I was testing tune, and two keys suddenly were moving as one- a spot of the glue had gotten on the top of the key levers, but a knife easily cut through the millimeter or so of material.

New hammers are available I think, and I think it's sometimes possible to get the shanks out without cutting them, and gouging the wood out, but good luck getting any advice here without getting your head cut!

OP Offline
Thanks for sharing Harpon, from reviewing much of the other threads I see there are not very many helpful posters on this site, mostly self/industry promotion, very sad to see. I have never seen a more negative unhelpful forum on the entire internet. I have been mistaken for assuming I would find enthusiastic, helpful people willing to share their knowledge on a subject they love...

Last edited by Beachdingo; 11/24/14 12:46 AM.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Wood-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed5b26190

You can get these on ebay from china

Right now this bass size seems to be the only one listed, but I've seen some high trebles from their listed with Asian hammer butts and shanks all for 5 or 6 dollars.

Occasional used hammers or odd hammers come up- I;ve searched that on ebay just to see what's out there.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Beachdingo
Thanks for sharing Harpon, from reviewing much of the other threads I see there are not very many helpful posters on this site, mostly self/industry promotion, very sad to see. I have never seen a more negative unhelpful forum on the entire internet. I have been mistaken for assuming I would find enthusiastic, helpful people willing to share their knowledge on a subject they love...
The technician's forum is the place where people would have knowledge about repairing or replacing hammers. This forum is mainly frequented by pianists, and most of us don't do our own repairs.

And some technicians don't help DIYers much. But I don't think it's the reason you think. Pianos are complex, and I think they don't want their advice to lead to unsatisfactory results.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
OP Offline
Thanks a lot Harpon!

And fair enough musicpassion, but I say let people make their own mistakes, it seems many just have the robotic response of pay a technician.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Dingo, if what you mean is that the felt that wraps around the wooden hammer core has separated, then it is easily fixed and is a common fault.

Remove the hammers from the piano to make the job easier. I prefer to use a urethane type glue, such as Tarzans Grip Mega Bond, but I am sure that others glues will work providing that they do not soak too quickly into the felt. I clamp the felt back using a clamp and wedge shaped wooden block so that the clamp does not slip. Leave overnight. Trim away excess glue with a chisel.

Usually it is the upper hammers that come apart like this because they often do not have staples.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Beachdingo

You can remove the old hammer heads with a flush cutter:

http://www.pianopromoproductions.com/resources/Upright%20Hammer%20Replacement%20PDF.pdf

Good Luck.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
In most instances hammerfelt separation is indicative of more serious problems.

Have you had a tech evaluate the pianos?

What sort of problems, Steve?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
OP Offline
HAHA Yes, I think he was playing me for a noob fool Phlip. How felt can be indicative of anything I don't know...This is one of the reasons I want to learn myself as I couldn't trust a technician like that...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would need evidence that Steve had done any such thing. He has a lifetime's experience in the trade and is extremely honourable. I have seen him offer to help people, at his own expense, who have bought a piano from another dealer but who have a problem.

I asked him because I respect his opinion.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Beachdingo,

Steve was trying to be helpful. When felt becomes loose this is an indication that the piano has been exposed to excessive heat and moisture. This means that the other glue joints are also suspect. The same advice also applies to loose veneer. Any time there are loose pieces on the outside there are loose pieces on the inside.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
OP Offline
Fair enough, yes heat and humidity are a factor. Call me pessimistic, but it was a very generalised comment that could have been expanded on just a little if the intent was to be helpful.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
He suggested that you contact a technician. It would be impossible for any of us here in piano cyberspace to inspect your piano with the necessary thoroughness to identify the problems. We have to operate at bit on theory and your hammer felt problem falls into the category of a major clue to problems.

It's not that technicians don't want to help but many technical issues really require an on the spot inspection. Also there are many different types of repairs for any one issue. These vary dramatically depending on the age of the piano, the model, the value, condition of the instrument, its past history and current location and relative conditions. The appropriate repair for a $100 old upright and an $200,000 concert piano with an identical problem can vary by thousands of dollars.

Adding to that is that even when well meaning owners try to do their own repairs, if they don't plan on continuing with other pianos the tooling required is so specific that a call from a technician who has thousands of dollars in the correct tools is cheaper.

Owners of the piano are just that. If they want to try to correct problems without the aid of someone who is trained to do the work it is at their own risk. Many pianos of low value really can't be hurt in value by a bad repair job because they are worth nothing now. But a distinction needs to be made so that people who really do have a valuable instrument are not misled into trying something that will be very expensive to repair if done incorrectly.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
The typical piano with detached hammer felt, in my experience, will be a budget piano from the 1960s/70s, and the particular hammers seem to look like there was hardly any glue in the first place. I think it is more a quality symptom rather than an environmental issue, so there may be other problems looming in the piano beside the hammers. But in this case you can only fix what has gone wrong at take it from there. Replacing all the hammers is an overkill unless they are completely worn out and the piano is worth it.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission