2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
If the Kawai MP11 had all the sounds of the MP7, I would buy it.

same for me.
for the price i'd also expect immaculate production quality and
self adjusting faders for all the drawbars (similar to the Nord C2D).

regarding the MP7:
the Concert Grand is too bright for me too above C4, besides an extra ringing I notice on on F5#,
I remedied this by EQing it down and using older, "not so perfect speakers" (Adam A5).
With the headphones, I have, it is not avoidable.

Above the middle C (C4) I also notice a distinct mechanic "tock" noise recorded in the sample of the
"Concert Grand". Fallback noise is turned OFF.
I have also heard the very same same "tock" noise in some Kawai acoustic upright,
one of K2, K200 or K5 - I do not remember anymore, which one it was exaclty,
but definitely not with the Shigeru grand in the same show room (no ringing on F5# btw).

The Key Touch I changed from "Normal" to "Heavy" after practicing more frequently
on an really ancient grand piano by August Förster. Since then the MP7 appears too sensitive,
but I am sure this perception will change again after practicing on a more modern acoustic piano.

HTH

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by lophiomys
...self adjusting faders for all the drawbars (similar to the Nord C2D).

Does the Nord C2D have mechanised drawbars (i.e. moving automatically when selecting a preset)?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Could be,but I dont think so that the Nord C2D has this feature. I only tested it quickly while passing by.
Auto-moving faders would be a really coool and unique feature.

With the MP7 my experience was a bit annoying, when moving through different Setups/Presets
and the hardware faders (or turning knobs) would not represent the actual value.
If the fader is moved manually, then either the value jumps abruptly
or moving it has no effect until the value is matched an then moves again.
This way the interface just does not give you the correct visual feedback.

Also the last used metronome value is not remembered by the MP7.

Online Content
Could be,but I dont think so that the Nord C2D has this feature. I only tested it quickly while passing by.

My apologies, but isn't this ('auto-moving faders') what you were referring to in your criticism of the MP7?

With the MP7 my experience was a bit annoying, when moving through different Setups/Presets
and the hardware faders (or turning knobs) would not represent the actual value.

Yes, this is the correct behaviour (depending on the fader/knob settings in the SYSTEM menu). I'm afraid I cannot think of a better implementation, short of using auto-moving (mechanical) faders/knobs.

Also the last used metronome value is not remembered by the MP7.

May I ask you to clarify what you mean, please? Perhaps with a step-by-step account of what you're doing and what is/isn't changing as expected.

I know that the way metronome settings are stored/recalled when selecting SETUPs has been tweaked in the next software update, so these changes may also relate to what you're referring to.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
M

This way the interface just does not give you the correct visual feedback.

Ther are no DPs nor Organ clones or Workstations in the market that offer such a feature, so I wouldn't consider it an MP7 specific shortcoming and not all other products even offer the possibility to choose between "jump" and "catch" mode, so the MP7 is more advanced instead in this respect.

As of now I only remember the new Behringer Motor master keyboard which will have motorized faders (but the SW on the PC must be enabled to use them by sending all control changes out at every patch change)

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hello James,

Yes, I referred to "auto-moving faders" as a cool feature.

Metronome:
After changing from a Setup to a Sound and back the "Speed" value is reset for the Setup to
to the value it was in the Sound. I just re-checked, only if you touch the metronome values of a specific
Sound and Setup the values are remembered for those two, while the MP7 is not turned off.
After switching off the MP7 (v1.05) all the last used metronome settings are lost.

I'd recommend simply to store one last used setting for the metronome, as it would be for the mechanic device.

Have a nice Monday morning.

Online Content
Hello lophiomys,

Okay, I see. But what did you mean by:

for the price i'd also expect...self adjusting faders for all the drawbars (similar to the Nord C2D).

To clarify, which feature of the Nord C2D would you expect on the MP7?

Metronome:
After changing from a Setup to a Sound and back the "Speed" value is reset for the Setup to to the value it was in the Sound.

Yes, I believe this is the correct behaviour. SOUND mode and SETUP mode have separate memories. I will double-check this point.

I just re-checked, only if you touch the metronome values of a specific Sound and Setup the values are remembered for those two, while the MP7 is not turned off. After switching off the MP7 (v1.05) all the last used metronome settings are lost.

I'm still not 100% sure what behaviour you are expecting.
Unless you store a parameter to the SOUND or SETUP memory, I believe any changes will indeed be lost when the power is turned off. This is normal.

I'd recommend simply to store one last used setting for the metronome, as it would be for the mechanic device.

Ah, so you would suggest that metronome settings are global, and not influenced by changing SETUPs? But what about users that wish to associate different metronome tempo/drum patterns with each SETUP?

My apologies if I am still not following you correctly. Again, perhaps you could provide a step-by-step process of what you're doing, what is happening, and what you'd expect/prefer to happen (and reason why)?

Have a nice Monday morning.

It's coming-up to 5:30pm here, but I appreciate the sentiment. wink

Thank you for the feedback.

Cheers,
James
x

Online Content
In addition to the 'Jump' and 'Catch' modes for knobs/faders, I wonder if there would be any desire for an additional 'No Change' mode - i.e. changing SETUPs would always use the current knob/fader position, rather than recall the position at the time the SETUP was stored?

Cheers,
James
x

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James
In addition to the 'Jump' and 'Catch' modes for knobs/faders, I wonder if there would be any desire for an additional 'No Change' mode - i.e. changing SETUPs would always use the current knob/fader position, rather than recall the position at the time the SETUP was stored?

That might be very useful on occasions, if you don't want big jumps when operating faders, for example. And with the tendency towards oversensitivity of the controls, that could help tame that behaviour, also.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hello lophiomys,

Okay, I see. But what did you mean by:

for the price i'd also expect...self adjusting faders for all the drawbars (similar to the Nord C2D).

To clarify, which feature of the Nord C2D would you expect on the MP7?

The comment you are referring to, was orginally related to a hypothetical "MP11 with all the sounds of an MP7",
which at least two customers would want to buy.
For this hypothetical and probably more expensive "MP11 with all the sounds of the MP7" or "MP7 MK II with GF",
I personally would also wish for more physical auto-moving drawbar faders, since the Nord C2D has many of them (not moving). This would improve the user experience dramatically, while switching through Sounds, Setups and drawbar presets. I also wished for immaculate quality in respect to the expected price tag of this hypothetical new instrument.

@Metronome:
In other words: a default metronome speed in a Sound is overwriting a user set speed in a Setup,
after switching from this Setup to a default Sound and back to this Setup agina.
e.g. switching between one modded piano Setup and whatever default Sound disturbs the current metronome setting of that very same Setup.
I would not bother to to write here, if it would not so annoying in daily practice.

You say specific drum patterns and metronome values can be stored with every Sound or Setup. This is good with me.
I think there are two related use cases:
1.) Using the metronome for practice and being annoyed, if the metronome values are lost or reset, after switching between a configured Setup and a default Sound. No storing involved here.
2.) Storing carefully selected drum patterns with a Setup or Sound.

I am only referring to 1).
What about remembering the last used metronome setting, for all Sounds and Setups, which do not explicitly have a drum pattern / metronome setting stored with them? I.e. automatically storing a global metronome setting for all Sounds and Setups that do not have a rhythm stored with them.

HTH

M
M
Originally Posted by voxpops

That might be very useful on occasions, if you don't want big jumps when operating faders, for example. And with the tendency towards oversensitivity of the controls, that could help tame that behaviour, also.

That is how Mainstage works, for each HW controller and each mapped parameter you can specify what should happen on patch change and controller change (use saved patch value, jump, catch use current HW controller value); you specify it at Global (Concert) level but you can ovverride it on each patch on each parameter.

Having such a feature also on HW DPs, synths and worksations would be great value (though of course it will require more programming when creating new patches)

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
For the programming and setting up phase a Mac or PC interface to control and view all the parameters of the MP7/MP11 on a big screen would be very helpful.

R
R
For the programming and setting up phase a Mac or PC interface to control and view all the parameters of the MP7/MP11 on a big screen would be very helpful.

That would be awesome. PC version please.

Online Content
Yes, I agree, it would be rather cool.
However, developing software for PC/Mac requires quite a lot of additional work.

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
@Metronome:
In other words: a default metronome speed in a Sound is overwriting a user set speed in a Setup,
after switching from this Setup to a default Sound and back to this Setup agina.
e.g. switching between one modded piano Setup and whatever default Sound disturbs the current metronome setting of that very same Setup.
I would not bother to to write here, if it would not so annoying in daily practice.

I spent a little while alternating between SOUND and SETUP mode, but did not encounter any unpredictable behaviour related to the metronome tempo.

First, in SETUP mode, I set the tempo to 300 (max.) for SETUP 1-1-A, then set the tempo to 30 (min.) for SETUP 1-2-A. Switching between 1-1-A and 1-2-A, I could see the metronome tempo change from 300 to 30 to 300 etc. This is the correct behaviour.

Then I switched to SOUND mode and set the metronome tempo to 150. Changing sounds did not influence the tempo, which remained at 150.

Then I switched to SETUP mode 1-1-A and the metronome tempo changed to 300, as expected. Then I switched to SOUND mode and the metronome tempo returned to 150 (the value I set it to before entering SETUP mode), as expected. Then I switched to SETUP mode 1-2-A and the metronome tempo changed to 30, as expected.

I kept switching to and from SOUND and SETUP mode, and each time the metronome tempo was changed as I expected. I was not able to make the SOUND tempo 'overwrite' the SETUP tempo as you described.

I therefore do not believe there is any problem with the metronome tempo implementation and how it responds to changes of SOUND or SETUP.

However, if you disagree, please feel free to post a similar step-by-step procedure (here is a good example) that allows either myself or one of the MP engineers to easily reproduce what you are experiencing.

Kind regards,
James
x

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
@Metronome
In your example you explicitly set the metronome value of both Sound and Setup before you use them.
If you "touch" both speed values it works.

Otherwise, switch on the MP7, select Setup 1-1-A, activate the metronome and set its speed and volume,
then switch to a default Sound where you did NOT set the metronome before, with the intention to keep
using the one metronome setting: you find a different setting in this default Sound, that could still be correct behavior, BUT if you change back to the original Setup 1-1-A the metronome speed is overridden with the value
of the Sound visited just before. Just now I tried it again and it is reproducible. Should I publish a video on Youtube?

The use case is, that I practice with my EQed Concert Grand stored on Setup 1-1-A, and now and then I use a default Sound (Organ, Harpsicord) for a change without listening to the metronome (the Metronome is still on). This change disturbs the metronome configuration of the day at the original Setup 1-1-A and you have to correct the values again and again, afte switching back to Setup 1-1-A.

The speed value is definitely reset to default after visiting an untouched Sound from a configured Setup with a non-default metronome value. I also observed sometimes that the metronome "volume" is reset. Then it really attacks my ears in the headphones, because the volume changes from 1 to 5.

Again I vote for one "global metronome", of which the last used values are preserved, even after turning off the device.

Online Content
Yes, please post a video.

Thank you.

Cheers,
James
x

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hello James,
There is the video:
MP7 loosing metronome speed
HTH

Last edited by lophiomys; 11/27/14 06:49 AM.
Online Content
lophiomys, thank you for taking the time to make the video.

Hmmm...so it seems that metronome volume is not changing, but tempo is changing.
I will need to double-check this tomorrow.

While in SETUP mode, you do not store the changed metronome tempo/volume before returning to SOUND mode, therefore any changes will be lost when re-entering SETUP mode, as the tempo/volume metronome for the selected SETUP will be recalled.

It just happens that the default tempo metronome for all of the SETUP memories is 120 BPM. However, I don't know why the volume is not changing. I will need to check if this is the intended behaviour tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
James
x

Online Content
lophiomys, I have confirmed with one of the MP11 engineers that this is the correct behaviour, and not a bug.

However I gather that this functionality will be tweaked slightly in a future software update.

I will of course post an announcement when the update becomes publicly available.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission