Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
67 registered (angga888, AndyJoe, barbaram, Adypiano, allakart, 18 invisible), 1184 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2354267 - 11/24/14 01:13 PM The DGX 650 Club
beebop Offline

This thread is for anyone thinking of buying one.....or anybody that has one and would like to add information that will enlighten the rest of us.....

Personal thoughts so far......had mine for about three days now.

Has lots of styles on it....both in Style section and also Music data base. Yamah MusicSoft does not seem to have a lot in the way of Styles for the 650 ( Lots of "world" music etc etc etc at $7 dollars per style) .......but I found this site that purportedly does....(haven't tried it yet):-

http://www.musikstyles.de.......there is a translated English version of this site which is the one I look at.

This board does not come with individual "track mute" for onboard styles....but in the recording mode you can mute added melody tracks that you played....

Has lots of "effect" tweaks and "transpose" functions..

I haven't found any "User Custom Voice" settings yet....but on the other hand I believe you can customize a main voice and then use it in conjunction with a style and save it to one of the 32 registration banks......

Has IAC....(Intelligent Acoustic Control)...which auto adjusts the instrument levels at low volume. It can be turned on and off and also adjusted +3 to -3. So far I haven't noticed any difference ...whether IAC is on or off.......

Overall sound of the board is pretty good...has some onboard Master EQ settings....I tried running a signal out of " Headphone Out" to a pair of good monitors and the sound is of course better on those..( Gain switch has to be changed through "Function" setting before you do this)

'Chord Dictionary" function is good.....a lot of times if you are playing a tab for example and you come across a chord you are unfamiliar with...you can look it up and play it.

This is good because tabs on a lot of sites have some chord errors in them and you find you need to correct it somewhat or use an inversion.

Also good if you play some forms of jazz and want a quick reference on 9ths and 11ths etc.etc etc etc.

If you are used to playing arranger boards and those with ultra-light key action......then you have a learning curve with this board.
It is like a real piano..

You may need to overhaul your style of playing as well as finger-pressure and modes of attack.
Board has "Touch Response" ...but that doesn't change key pressure......

I'll be adding more posts to this thread as I go.....

Edited by beebop (11/24/14 01:18 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2354297 - 11/24/14 03:03 PM Re: The DGX 650 Club [Re: beebop]
MartasK Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
Congratulations to your DGX. I believe you'll enjoy it as I do.
Good idea to setup this club, here is tons of knowhow on classical piano stuff, but only rare on such "multifunction" gear as 650.
I am beginner in piano, so if you share your experiences, I can learn a lot. If I find anything what I can contribute, I'll be happy to give my two cent as well.

#2354339 - 11/24/14 04:48 PM Re: The DGX 650 Club [Re: beebop]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Must admit to having this type of piano for the last 7 or 8 years - without having examined other than basics. Keep meaning to. . . seen too much good stuff demonstrated! Gotta give it a go . . .and sound like a pro!

""

#2354393 - 11/24/14 07:49 PM Re: The DGX 650 Club [Re: beebop]
beebop Offline

I'll see if I can find the English version of the MusikStyle site.....

He has loads of styles.......

Since he makes them in Germany I'm hoping there won't be any problem with "regional" differences for user application...

(like the regional differences with DVD players for example...)

Edited by beebop (11/24/14 07:53 PM)

#2354396 - 11/24/14 07:54 PM Re: The DGX 650 Club [Re: beebop]
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
I own the DGX640. Can I play too?

That MusikStyle site sounds interesting. The link provided didn't work for me, however.

#2354553 - Yesterday at 10:28 AM Re: The DGX 650 Club [Re: beebop]
Compassion Offline

Just get in to the www.muzikstyles.de site

and click on the UK flag for the goods in Englisch

DGX-650 shortcut:

http://www.musikstyles.de/shop/catalog/index.php/yamaha-different-dgx-650-c-106_161

DGX-640shortcut:

http://www.musikstyles.de/shop/catalog/index.php/yamaha-different-dgx-640-c-106_128

Had a YPG-535 (DGX-530) - an earlier, "lightly-weighted" version for a while (a buddy insisted on buying it from me),
and was impressed with the sound , adjustability, and capabilities of the instrument.
The built-in amp/speakers were extraordinarily good (and surprisingly/pleasantly loud)

... which leads me to believe that the 650 - with its fully-weighted action etc. ( a la Clavinova ) would be pretty sweet, indeed.

#2354913 - 31 minutes 56 seconds ago Re: The DGX 650 Club [Re: Compassion]
vbdx66 Online   content

Hello,

Since 10 days, I have DGX 640 and I am very happy with it: decent piano sound and touch (I have had an old acoustic before), plenty of nice, realistic sounds and many interesting features for arranging and recording etc.

For styles and information, I'd suggest to have a look at thee PSR Tutorial website, if you have not already done so. They have plenty of styles, most of them for free (you have to make yourself a member, like here, but is is free also), although of course if you find their work seful you can donate something to help maintaining the website..

All SSF1 stye files should read from an USB stick into both the DGX 640 and 650. The DGX 650 might also read SFF2 styles but I am not sure. Could a DGX 650 owner aybe check this out? This would cetainly by a point in favour of the DGX 650 over its little brother the DGX 640, since it means access to plenty of higher-quality, more recent style files.

So , what did make you decide to buy the DGX 650/640 instead of a regular digital piano with slightly better piano sound and touch, or else a "true" arranger keyboard with even more features, like a Yamaha PSR S750/950 or a Korg PA 600 or whathever?

Personnaly, what convinced me for a DGX 640 was the keybaord touch: heavier than on a keyboard, but with very good dynamics. Also, because of the 88 keys, you can play "real" piano music. The other sounds avre very good and I find it's a pleasure to play voices like strings, flute, saxophone to make solo lines on the DGX 640. It gives also a very nice touch for pure piano playing if you are a hobbyist or a composer (not a professional pianist). I have taken the 1st Prelude from Bach's Well-Tempered Keyboard back from a drawer and I enjoy playing it again. I also find the internal amplification very good for a home instrument.

The DGX will enable me to go back to playing some light classical pieces. It is also a pleasure to try some improvisations over the styles - they render very good on the DGX 640, probably better still on the DGX 650 because its piano sample is even better, and rather logically, many of the styles are piano-focused: either they contain a piano part, or they are meant to accompany the piano voice. Some of the styles downloaded from the Internet are very usable, although they might sometimes need some tweaking because they were not specifically made for the DGX 640/650.

Waiting for your comments and insights,

Best Regards,

Vinciane

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
Today at 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
Today at 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159358 Topics
2340924 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission