Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
125 registered (A Guy, 36251, accordeur, Alan Cyr, Abby Pianoman, 37 invisible), 1566 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2354494 - 11/25/14 05:22 AM NAMM 2015 Rumours?
Beemer Online   content

Loc: Scotland
Anyone heard any gossip about new keyboards being announced in January at NAMM 2015?

Ian

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2354554 - 11/25/14 10:28 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts
I have not heard/read any "rumors", however, just a "few predictions" perhaps (mostly same as I posted for Summer Namm):

- Nord Stage 3 or Piano 3 (maybe)
- Roland RD400 (maybe)
- Roland V-Piano 2 (doubt it)
- Kawai ES8 or EP4 (highly doubt it)
- Kawai VPC2 with GF (doubt it)
- Kawai CA - new models (maybe)
- Yamaha CP400 (doubt it)
- Korg SV-2 (maybe)
- Korg SP290 with RH3 (doubt it)
- Casio PX155 or PX355 with better speakers (doubt it)
- Casio PX-6S in black option with half-damper (doubt it)
- Groove Piano final product (no idea)
- maybe a few new VSTs? (good chance)

Korg and Kurweill already got a headstart with Kronos(2) and and PC3A. Those might be a highlight a NAMM.

Well, Im sure plenty more rumors, clues, gossip, hints, and leaks to come over the next few weeks.

#2354570 - 11/25/14 11:02 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Marko in Boston]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Originally Posted By: Marko in Boston
I have not heard/read any "rumors", however, just a "few predictions" perhaps (mostly same as I posted for Summer Namm):

I doubt the Stage 3 will be announced. I think that not too long ago nord raised the price on the stage 2 a bit, and it seems to still be a really good seller for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Nord Stage 2 EX released with some incremental improvements (some of the organ improvements from the C2D, more memory to hold samples, maybe even a better display, etc...) I also really doubt that we'll ever see a stage 2/3 with physical drawbars, though some have suggested that as a possibility.

Roland RD400: On your list, this seems the most likely to be true to me. it's predecessor is getting pretty long in the tooth. Another longshot might be updates to the other products in their line still using their older actions (updating them to variations of the PHA-4 action -- boards like the FP-80).

A yamaha CP400, I presume you mean as an update to the ancient CP300? I doubt that yamaha will go with that form factor ever again. it's so heavy. Although I would love it if they did. It might have a big enough niche to be profitable.

Korg SV-2 Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if they do or don't, but it could be a very nice board if they do.

Updates to the privia line, maybe, but i would guess that we won't see those until the following year. I would love to be pleasantly surprised. :-)

#2354719 - 11/25/14 05:19 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Marcos Daniel Offline

Loc: Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...

- Kawai ES8 or EP4 (highly doubt it)
- Kawai VPC2 with GF (doubt it)
- Kawai CA - new models (maybe)

In some posts James said ambiguous things that made me wonder if he was joking or really Kawai is going to present some completely new instrument. I can't find exactly what he said, but, as we say in spanish, he threw the stone and then hid his hand...

Edited by Marcos Daniel (11/25/14 05:19 PM)

#2354744 - 11/25/14 06:32 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Marcos Daniel]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Marcos Daniel

but, as we say in spanish, he threw the stone and then hid his hand...

Or it might be more like, He pretended to throw the tennis ball and we went chasing after it even though he was hiding it behind his back wink

#2354761 - 11/25/14 07:21 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
TonyB Online   content

Loc: Twin Cities
There will be modelling of favorite modelled pianos, and these will sound more like samples, and then manufacturers will know they have taken modelling too far. The V-Piano2 will therefore be models of samples of models, and the following year, it will start all over again with just models of real pianos like the good old days of 2009 - 2014 or maybe even a sine wave from the 1980s.

My crystal ball is a bit cloudy today with a bit of snow and wind, so I am just guessing here...

Tony

#2354775 - 11/25/14 08:00 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
A new Nord will surely be unveiled...perhaps an NS3, or something else entirely?

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on an RD-400, too.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2354923 - Yesterday at 06:52 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Kawai James]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James

Well, not too sure about betting on a RD400 yet. How would you price an RD400 when the FA08 is already at $1,799US? I would imagine an RD400 would use similar action to FA08. Yes, I know the FA08 is a workstation but if a RD400 using the same action as FA08 then why not just take advantage of FA08 if priced within a few hundred dollars.

But if I were to bet on it....
Maybe if the RD400 uses PHA4 Premium with RD800's new APs and EP's and keeps around 30-35lbs with a $1,499US price tag. That would be worth a look as it would be a cheaper alternative to CP40 and MP7. Also, Im not sure how big of a market is for a 76 key DP but RD400 could do a 76 key version with PHA4 Standard for $1299 and 30lbs

Sorry for all this silly speculation Jay Roland grin

#2355005 - Yesterday at 11:15 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Marko in Boston]
Jay Roland Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC.

Well, not too sure about betting on a RD400 yet. How would you price an RD400 when the FA08 is already at $1,799US? I would imagine an RD400 would use similar action to FA08. Yes, I know the FA08 is a workstation but if a RD400 using the same action as FA08 then why not just take advantage of FA08 if priced within a few hundred dollars.

But if I were to bet on it....
Maybe if the RD400 uses PHA4 Premium with RD800's new APs and EP's and keeps around 30-35lbs with a $1,499US price tag. That would be worth a look as it would be a cheaper alternative to CP40 and MP7. Also, Im not sure how big of a market is for a 76 key DP but RD400 could do a 76 key version with PHA4 Standard for $1299 and 30lbs

Sorry for all this silly speculation Jay Roland grin

hahahaha....speculate away Marko,

my lips are sealed.

Jay

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2355012 - Yesterday at 11:41 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
Pete14 Offline

I'm going to double down on Marko's hypothetical bet. The RD-400 is around the corner bodega, and making its way to NAMM 2015.

#2355026 - Yesterday at 12:35 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Jay Roland]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jay Roland

hahahaha....speculate away Marko,

my lips are sealed.

Jay

You, James, and Mike sure know how to keep your lips sealed!

However, we all LOVE when you throw us little teaser once in awhile... just sayin'.

#2355034 - Yesterday at 01:00 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
Jay Roland Offline

Here's my teaser.....

I will definitely be at the NAMM show this year for my 10th time with Roland Canada...

I will happily say hi to any PW forum member that comes to our booth, as long as I'm not busy with a Canadian Retailer, or in a meeting.

There will be lots of Roland Pianos there too from across the length and breadth of our product line.

Jay

Edited by Jay Roland (Yesterday at 01:00 PM)

I'm sure that Jay (along with every other product manager in recorded history) is quite accustomed to hearing different customers assert "X" and "not-X" with equal conviction. - slowtraveler

#2355035 - Yesterday at 01:00 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
500 Post Club Member

Marko,
Jay is probably too busy playing his RD-400 to give us any real teasers! wink

#2355036 - Yesterday at 01:01 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
Jay Roland Offline

LOL....nope....these days at home it's an RD-800 and a TR-8/TB-3 combo for some awesome piano electronica!

Jay

#2355037 - Yesterday at 01:01 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
500 Post Club Member

LOL,
Jay already posted that right before I did, you spoiled my joke Jay! *grin* Hope that you have a great time at NAMM

#2355202 - Yesterday at 06:49 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Jay Roland]
TonyB Online   content

Here's my teaser.....

I will definitely be at the NAMM show this year for my 10th time with Roland Canada...

I will happily say hi to any PW forum member that comes to our booth, as long as I'm not busy with a Canadian Retailer, or in a meeting.

There will be lots of Roland Pianos there too from across the length and breadth of our product line.

Jay

Maybe this is where people get to try the V-Grand!

Tony

#2355383 - Today at 08:10 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: TonyB]
Marko in Boston Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: TonyB
Here's my teaser.....

Jay

Tony

....maybe the V-Grand II whistle

#2355396 - Today at 08:51 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
...or maybe an AvantGrand with fully-modelled sound and Transacoustic technology?

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2355401 - Today at 09:11 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Marko in Boston]
TonyB Online   content

Here's my teaser.....

Jay

Tony

....maybe the V-Grand II whistle

Interesting thought. I wonder if the transition to new versions of this particular product might be much slower than their other digital piano products. It seems to me as if the V-Grand is a "pull all stops and let's show them what our technology can really do" type of product that is not expected to sell a lot of units, but instead will serve to show what a digital piano really can be for the "serious" player. All the videos of this product seem to show it in the concert hall with the serious concert players.

So it seems to me that until there is another major technological breakthrough after the core of the V-series modelling, rather than incremental improvements, there is probably little reason for another V-Grand. Those who have played one seem to think highly of it already, so there really would need to be another major step forward to justify the expense.

After saying all that, I have to emphasize that I am a beginner at the piano and a hobby player (at least for the foreseeable future), but did buy a V-Grand. I have no intention of "flipping" it for something newer for years to come, and I suspect even the most seasoned player who might buy one probably wouldn't either. The market for the V-Grand is probably very small and also rather stable, where people buying the stage and probably lower end consoles would be changing every few years as incremental improvements add up to something worth flipping for.

However, all this could be "balderdash" and it may well be that Roland does have a V-Grand 2 up their sleeve. Whoever knows certainly is not telling. smile

Tony

#2355408 - Today at 09:39 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Kawai James]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
...or maybe an AvantGrand with fully-modelled sound and Transacoustic technology?

Why not new Kawai competitor to N1, with soundboard, similar-to-grand action, and samples Shigeru SK-EX, which are deeper and warmer than Kawai EX? grin cool
And good sound system!!!

Or new CA series with far more responsive and dynamic samples from SK-EX?

Or Cabinet-style piano with V-engine from V-grand.

Edited by kapelli (Today at 09:56 AM)

#2355430 - Today at 10:35 AM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: kapelli]
TonyB Online   content

Originally Posted By: kapelli

Why not new Kawai competitor to N1, with soundboard, similar-to-grand action, and samples Shigeru SK-EX, which are deeper and warmer than Kawai EX? grin cool
And good sound system!!!

Or new CA series with far more responsive and dynamic samples from SK-EX?

Or Cabinet-style piano with V-engine from V-grand.

You do know how to generate GAS! I like these ideas. A V-Upright does seem a logical next step too.

Tony

#2355464 - Today at 12:02 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
Pete14 Offline

Kawai did release their own version of the Grantouch back in the day. It seems like nowadays they have no interest in that market; since they're calling the CA/CS line "hybrid."

Yamaha has probably made some incremental improvements to the AvantGrand; like removing the noise-gate etc....

As much as I'd like to see the N2X, I don't think it'll happen for at least another couple of years (I hope I'm wrong about both Kawai and Yamaha).

#2355480 - Today at 12:37 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
MRC Offline

Loc: Germany
Yamaha, Roland and Kawai will present digital pianos with music rests high enough to support normal-sized sheet music.

#2355489 - Today at 12:55 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: MRC]
Beemer Online   content

Originally Posted By: MRC
Yamaha, Roland and Kawai will present digital pianos with music rests high enough to support normal-sized sheet music.

Ditto. With solid back and high enough that an LED light can be clipped on above the pages, holds 3 pages wide with bound book page retainers.

Its small but important details like these that can make or break a sale. I don't care whether its a standard or optional feature as long as its available and compatible with the instrument's music stand mounts.

Ian

Edited by Beemer (Today at 12:56 PM)

#2355495 - Today at 01:07 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Originally Posted By: Beemer

Ditto. With solid back and high enough that an LED light can be clipped on above the pages, holds 3 pages wide with bound book page retainers.

Its small but important details like these that can make or break a sale. I don't care whether its a standard or optional feature as long as its available and compatible with the instrument's music stand mounts.

Ian

And they will improve their spekaers systems by giving 16cm loudspeakers inside to have a good bass.

#2355496 - Today at 01:10 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: Beemer]
TonyB Online   content

Originally Posted By: Beemer

Ian

My V-Grand has this. The music rest slides flat so I can put my Ultrabook there instead, but slides out and up and easily holds a large book of music or whatever, or could hold three sheets/piles side by side. Maybe that is the grand vs upright form factor that makes the difference? Also, the V-Grand came with one of those really nice thick padded piano benches that you typically see in front of grand pianos.

Tony

#2355529 - Today at 03:21 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: MRC]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK

But the current ones work so well!

#2355535 - Today at 03:48 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: TonyB]
MRC Offline

Loc: Germany
My V-Grand has this. The music rest slides flat so I can put my Ultrabook there instead, but slides out and up and easily holds a large book of music or whatever, or could hold three sheets/piles side by side. Maybe that is the grand vs upright form factor that makes the difference?

It's not the grand form factor, since the music rests on all the digital grands I have tried (including the Avantgrand N3) were as inadequate as the one in the photo lolatu just posted. The music rest on my acoustic grand is 28 cm high, which is OK even for old French scores that are 34 cm high, but the music rests on all the digitals I've tried were only about 20 cm high.

I've never played a V-Grand. How high is the music rest?

#2355553 - Today at 04:48 PM Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: lolatu]
Beemer Online   content

Originally Posted By: lolatu

But the current ones work so well!

That is truly amazing! How did you get the sheets to stay there long enough to take the photograph?

Ian

#2355582 - 43 minutes 55 seconds ago Re: NAMM 2015 Rumours? [Re: MRC]
TonyB Online   content

My V-Grand has this. The music rest slides flat so I can put my Ultrabook there instead, but slides out and up and easily holds a large book of music or whatever, or could hold three sheets/piles side by side. Maybe that is the grand vs upright form factor that makes the difference?

It's not the grand form factor, since the music rests on all the digital grands I have tried (including the Avantgrand N3) were as inadequate as the one in the photo lolatu just posted. The music rest on my acoustic grand is 28 cm high, which is OK even for old French scores that are 34 cm high, but the music rests on all the digitals I've tried were only about 20 cm high.

I've never played a V-Grand. How high is the music rest?

It is probably like the one in the picture, so probably has the same issue. Quick estimate, it is probably 8 inches high or so.

I really don't work much with sheet music (I can read, but prefer ear for the styles I am interested in), but instead I printed the books that came with my self-study piano course and put these in a binder which is stiff enough to stand up well.

Tony

Edited by TonyB (42 minutes 43 seconds ago)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1875 legs and lyre where to get?
by Klavimaniac
2 minutes 4 seconds ago
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
Today at 04:43 PM
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
Today at 04:16 PM
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
Today at 03:49 PM
10k budget for a piano in SW Ontario
by bogdan101
Today at 03:47 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159405 Topics
2341598 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission