2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
What is a Pathological Antagonist?

A pathological antagonist is an intransigent (unwilling or refusing to change one's views or to agree about something) person of antagonistic disposition.

1. “The arguments of a pathological antagonist are usually found in little or terribly misrepresented evidence … quibbling over petty details, offering strong proof of irrelevant points … exaggerating the position of one’s opponent … making an accusation that cannot be disproved and then claiming that this makes it true … outright lying or falsification. An antagonist, in his attempt to make the kill, will take certain facts and so twist them that they are blatantly false when presented. In time he convinces himself that his twisted facts are true.”

2. Pathological antagonists are ‘”hyper-sensitive to any word or action, even trivial oversights, so that he takes these things as a personal attack and responds aggressively.”

3. “The pathological antagonist is never satisfied. His demands are insatiable. No amount of accommodation on his victims/opponents part will ever suffice. Attempts at appeasement will not calm him down, but will encourage him to make more demands. … he is persistent and unstoppable.”

4. “The pathological antagonist will lead a campaign of attack on his opponent/victim/s … not trying to give constructive criticism … his goal is nothing short of control, no matter what it may cost his opponent/victim/s. The antagonist is so full of rage that he feels compelled to attack the enemy (his opponent/s) until he is destroyed (terminated and eliminated from the scene).”

5. “The attacking behaviour of a pathological antagonist is selfish in nature … this person is rarely interested in authentic dialogue. If one rationale no longer works to his advantage, he will devise another … his stated reasons for opposition are a ruse for his own hidden agenda. What he really wants is power, control, status and authority.”

6. “The attacks … are for destruction rather than construction. The antagonists’ actions divide; they do not pull the people together.”

Hard-core Antagonists

“Seriously disturbed people … out of touch with reality … paranoid … which is not easy to detect … can appear normal either some or most of the time … incredible persistence and an extreme desire to make trouble, even enjoying their sadistic inclinations. One can easily spot one of these individuals by the smirk often seen on his face, especially noticeable after he makes a cynical or snide remark … hard-core antagonists will go to any length and expense to wreck havoc on their targets ... They believe they are doing God a favour. Their inner rage is baptised with the aura of holy zeal. Without a doubt, the hard-core antagonist is slippery and dangerous. He cannot be reasoned with. The Apostle Paul may have had this kind of people in mind when he warned the Ephesian elders about ‘savage wolves’ infiltrating the congregation and ‘not sparing the flock’ (Acts 20:28-29).”

Major Antagonists

Not as severely disturbed. “If the hard-core antagonist cannot be reasoned with because of emotional instability, the major antagonist refuses to be reasoned with. Reason is within his capacity, but he knows that if he uses it, he may be defeated or proved wrong. So, to protect his position, he simply refuses to be reasonable and his demands are insatiable. This individual probably has a character or personality disorder, seen in the heavy load of anger he carries about … personality problems … deep-seated. A major antagonist does not want to change, since change is threatening to him. He has built a defensive wall around himself, labelled ‘I am right, what I’m doing is right’.”

Moderate Antagonists

Lack the self-starting quality of the first two types … the moderate antagonist initiates trouble only if the opportunity presents itself – however, he will quickly follow a hard-core or a major antagonist in causing trouble – but he lacks the perseverance of the other two. He has personality problems, but they are not as severe as those of the hard-core or the major types.

Well-intentioned Dragons

They have goals which may “allegedly be in the best interests of others, but their methods and attitudes are still those of a dragon, doing more harm than good.

While all of the above four types are “malevolent in both intent and effect.. there is a distinguishing here somewhat between degrees of meanness.”

“Pathological antagonists possess an insatiable desire to drag problems out interminably, eventually wearing down the target of opposition. Pathological antagonists precipitate conflict that is unhealthy and destructive.”

Pathological antagonists are “negative and critical … legalistic and intransigent … quick to point out other’s faults and shortcomings … well-known for its judgmental attitude … very picky about trivial details … one long story of unhappiness...

Pathological Antagonists tend to be failures in their chosen careers, and are inclined to seek a stomping ground, to take a key leadership role while exercising a strong controlling modus operandi … although they were failures outside, they could be somewhat important on the stomping ground.

Allies of Pathological Antagonists

“A pathological antagonist tends to attract certain followers. Without them, the antagonist’s efforts would fizzle. He usually does not have the courage to go it alone. He needs followers to bolster his campaign against his opponent/victim/s … calculating in his enlistment of a small band of followers. Each had a personal axe to grind … the passive nature of others simply allows this to happen.”

The Curse of Appeasement

“When the decent and dedicated become are afraid of conflict and have no stomach for challenging” pathological antagonists, they “will choose a philosophy of appeasement rather than reasonable confrontation ...” However, when targets plead for help to those not involved in the campaign of hate, they are normally “met with unbelief that there were any evil intentions.”

This naivete fuels and encourages the pathological antagonist to press on with his obsessive campaign.

Mark
Piano tuner technician
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Mark, I believe we have plenty in stock. Pick your pleasure.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
I BEG to Differ?

I know that GUY!

He very smart and never wrong. Even when he is wrong.

Last edited by woodfab; 11/26/14 05:59 PM.

Dan (Piano Tinkerer)
J
J
"I resemble that remark."
--Norm Crosby

Regards,

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
thumb

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
All of the above.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

Hi all - Looking at the dates of these posts, I'm curious how this topic rose to the top of the list. Nonetheless, it seems appropriate, not just for this forum but others I have observed.

My dad had a philosophy that has always served me well. Never get into a p*ing contest with a skunk!

Have a great Thanksgiving all - even you know-it-alls amongst us! Chuck Behm

Last edited by casinitaly; 11/28/14 10:43 AM. Reason: removed off-colour term

Tuner/Technician/Rebuilder/Technical Writer
www.pianopromoproductions.com
515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
My Mom just called them "buttheads". Sometimes she included me in the genre.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

"Hi all - Looking at the dates of these posts, I'm curious how this topic rose to the top of the list." - Me

Okay, I'm sorry (and confused). I blame it on a massive cold I'm trying to shake off - and the watery eyes I'm trying to read things through. I was looking at the dates that posters were registered on, not the actual date of the posts of this thread. Duh! Anyway, happy Thanksgiving all. Chuck

515-212-9220

"The act of destruction is infinitely easier than the act of creation" - Arthur C. Clarke
H
H
Originally Posted by Chuck Behm

"Hi all - Looking at the dates of these posts, I'm curious how this topic rose to the top of the list." - Me

Okay, I'm sorry (and confused). I blame it on a massive cold I'm trying to shake off - and the watery eyes I'm trying to read things through. I was looking at the dates that posters were registered on, not the actual date of the posts of this thread. Duh! Anyway, happy Thanksgiving all. Chuck

FUNNY!! grin

HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

FUNNY!! grin - Herr Weiss

Thanks for being so charitable, Herr Weiss. To show you what a dopey state my mind is in from this cold, I was looking at the dates on the left hand side under the poster's names (assuming that they were the dates that the posts were made), and thinking, "That's strange. Not only was this thread started way back in the past, but the dates of the posts have been jumping around. From the first post on down, the dates read 4/10/08, 5/06/13, 12/06/05, 3/13/09, 5/06/13 and 08/21/04." What's going on here?!"

I felt for a moment as if I was entering the "Twilight Zone."

Anyway, I'm going to take some more medicine and go back to bed. Our family (3 kids, 2 of their spouses and one boyfriend, plus 6 grandkids and 3 dogs) are not showing up until tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner. Thank God. Chuck

515-212-9220

H
H

Thanks for the laughs Mr Behm!!
Hope you get better soon and a Happy Turkey Day!

HW

Last edited by Herr Weiss; 11/27/14 11:54 AM.

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
"Mirror, mirror..."

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Sounds like a sociopath. I've met a couple of those in my life. They're more common than psychologists used to think. I suppose a sociopath could also be a pathological antagonist.

Tuner-Technician

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
For those victimized, a possible concise solution:

Some individuals – and they may be family members –

are so incorrigibly deceitful, manipulative or destructive

that a healthy relationship with them is impossible. Even if

they feign remorse and swear to behave better, they

actually feel little, if any guilt. “In some cases,“ says Dr.

Frances, “you have to start protecting yourself – to see the

sociopath (someone who behavior is largely antisocial and

amoral) as a predator rather than as your spouse, sibling

or child. While this may be the hardest thing you'll ever do,

sometimes it’s the only choice you have."

-- Dianne Hales and Robert E. Hales, M.D.

How to cope with difficult people - Hales/Hales MD

Last edited by bkw58; 11/29/14 10:35 AM. Reason: add link

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Don't those types pretty much describe all of humanity?

Certainly Good and Evil resides in all of us, and when you
call someone a "Troll", you can bet money that they think
YOU are the "Troll"!

Admittedly, I'm not a nice person on unmoderated forums or
newsgroups...I tend to get medieval and primitive!

So I've learn to quickly put people on my "ignore" list on
PW. At the first sign of negativity....in they go!

Makes life so much better here on PW!

The rest of the people here are AWESOME, COOL, EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE, AND INCREDIBLY GENEROUS WITH THEIR ADVICE AND TIME!!!

PW RULES!!!!

grin ha
thumb

Last edited by Paul678; 11/29/14 08:22 PM.
"I hope no bad people show up" - The Beastie Boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk

Last edited by harpon; 11/29/14 07:03 PM.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bkw58
For those victimized, a possible concise solution:

[snip]
How to cope with difficult people - Hales/Hales MD

I got a chance to read this article. It is actually very good advice. Thank you for posting it!

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
S
S
Mark,

What is the source of your quoted material? There are a couple of people in my life that fit that bill! Thanks.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C

My dad had a philosophy that has always served me well. Never get into a p*ing contest with a skunk! - Me

I stand by what I said originally! Never get into a pie-eating contest with a skunk! Chuck Behm

P.S. Thank you to the moderator's for toning things down when needed.

515-212-9220

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission