2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
With my Yamaha CLP-150, I have tried to plug my PC with MIDI and audio-in, and found an important humming noise (as I have found with USB and audio).

I could get rid of this noise unplugging the MIDI-IN (this one is not used by a virtual piano). But it seems weird to me... I thought the advantage of MIDI was the optic isolation which prevents ground loops.

As the MIDI-IN jack of my piano should be isolated by an optocoupler inside my piano, I can't blame my MIDI-USB adpater (a M-Audio Uno MIDI interface... not one of the cheapest MIDI-USB interface). Does my (old) Yamaha present some current leakage which could explain the noise ?

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Still probaly a ground loop, as most likely the midi cable has screening or ground connectors.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Try plugging your DP and computer into different outlets..Even if they are, try several others... sometimes putting them on different circuits is all it takes.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
@spanishbuddha : You should be right... a quick look in my "service manual" shows me the connection of the MIDI shield of the jack directly to the ground... but also some pins to the ground through capacitors (I don't know why... and I have never seen this in MIDI schemas).

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
I have same issue. I notes that a year ago. Thankfully I don't really need this kind of setup (midi and line-in connected to the PC) but I find it annoying too. Was very obvious noise.

Not sure who to blame, but my guess is the motherboard fault or something on the PC. Apparently they share the ground for usb and audio jacks. They should try isolate as much as possible all audio with the rest of the computer.

What you can try is this: You know the usb connectors on the front of the computer? They are connected to the motherboard with a particular connector that is like a rectangle with holes. And you notes the mic and headphone plugs in-front of the computer? Well, generally the case manufacturers make the mistake of joining the ground of the audio ground and the USB ground in the circuit-board of the front of the case. Because of this every-time anyone plug a headphone and a flashdrive (or basically anything) on the USB front port, I can hear noise on the headphone. I solve this modding the circuit board of the front of the case, where the USB and audio plugs are solder.

I don't know if this kind of mod would solve your problem, though. But at least you can easily do a test disconnecting the audio ports of the front of the case from the motherboard, and connect the midi-usb to the front of the case. This will prevent the usb ground connect to the audio ground, at least in that point. Don't know if later they re-join somehow, but this for sure fix my problem with the headphones. Was different problem, but maybe works for you too.

Do the test and lets see...

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, it's annoying, however if none of the above suggestions resolve the issue, an additional piece of hardware such as the Behringer 'Hum Destroyer' should do the trick.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Yes, it's annoying, however if none of the above suggestions resolve the issue, an additional piece of hardware such as the Behringer 'Hum Destroyer' should do the trick.

Cheers,
James
x

Either that or get a better interface. The m-audio is decent, but basic. My Roland Quad Capture has a ground lift on it, which I think would also solve the problem. Maybe look into interfaces that offer a ground lift option.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I was bedeviled by hum, from the computer's soundcard, in my computer + DP + mixer setup -- many wires, many wall-warts.

I finally tracked it down to a ground loop involving the printer. Unplug the printer's USB cable, and the hum disappears.

It's sometimes a matter of trying everything, until something works.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I was bedeviled by hum, from the computer's soundcard, in my computer + DP + mixer setup -- many wires, many wall-warts.

I finally tracked it down to a ground loop involving the printer. Unplug the printer's USB cable, and the hum disappears.

It's sometimes a matter of trying everything, until something works.

. Charles

Ha, I like that solution. On my laptop setup, nothing to do with DP 's, to solve the audio hum from connected speakers, I have to connect the printer!

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
With my Yamaha CLP-150, I have tried to plug my PC with MIDI and audio-in, and found an important humming noise (as I have found with USB and audio).

I could get rid of this noise unplugging the MIDI-IN (this one is not used by a virtual piano). But it seems weird to me... I thought the advantage of MIDI was the optic isolation which prevents ground loops.

As the MIDI-IN jack of my piano should be isolated by an optocoupler inside my piano, I can't blame my MIDI-USB adpater (a M-Audio Uno MIDI interface... not one of the cheapest MIDI-USB interface). Does my (old) Yamaha present some current leakage which could explain the noise ?

Frédéric be aware that early MIDI interfaces did not use opto-isolation frown

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beemer
Frédéric be aware that early MIDI interfaces did not use opto-isolation frown

As I have said, the CLP150 do have an opto-coupler.... But shunts the shield of the socket to the ground and connects some pins to the ground with capacitors.... Yamaha seems to manage to make a not-isolated MIDI-IN with a (not-usefull) optocoupler.

I had ground loop problems when connecting to other equipment. I shielded the earth connection (pin) with a piece of paper. Its fine now.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission