2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Hi Danmookie,

great to hear you found this thread helpful. Similar story to mine - stumbled across this thread on the FP8, helped me to fix the issue and got hooked to Pianoworld...!
Regarding through-holes: well, 'mine' the one I was talking about was definitely supposed to be through contact that was damaged.
Regarding the whizzing sound, I still didn't find the time to check my suspicion, and surely will also try your hint to check cable routing. Thanks! You mention the metal cable wraps - this just reminds me how outstandingly well and overbuilt this Piano is, with the extruded aluminum profile housing, pcb mounting, cable routing and all.
Did you have the apparently archetypical hammer issues on your late unit? I have fissure on all plastic levers where the weights are, but not a single one broken.
(I am wondering whether it is the shocks, the plastic shrinking or even something more weird. Could there be a volume change in the weight over time? The weights seem to be soft metal. Mine has seen temperature cycles to rather low temperatures. Could there be something like 'tin pest'? But the weights seem still silvery and there is no white powder. Pure speculation, but would be interested in the reason. Should maybe move to 'broken hammer thread' somewhere.)

Regards,

my88keys

G
G
I have a FP8,and I need the board like the one posted by my88keys.I recieved this piano from a friend.It was apparently in a shop for repair,but the shop closed.It looks to be in desent shape.They must have unplugged the board from it with the intention of replacing it.Can anyone tell me how to find it?Or if it can be found..Thanks for listening

G
G
Where can I find that board that you posted.I have a fp8 and that part is missing.Thanks G Husky

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Your piano is missing a whole circuit board?

Contact Roland, who have spare parts people who can tell you if the part is available.

If not, look out for another FP8 on eBay etc that you can break for parts.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
G
G
I have a Roland FP-8G which I purchased in 1991 for my children to learn piano on. They took piano lessons for about a year then stopped and the FP-8 has sat unused since then in storage. I took it out of storage and discovered that the monitor speakers' output is extremely low. While searching for information about what may be causing the problem and its remedy I found this forum. I performed the line output test and the output level of the left/mono channel is OK but the right channel output is non-existent. Although the left/mono channel line output is normal, it is a bit noisy and there's a low-level motorboating sound when there's no audio signal. When I bought the FP-8, I also obtained the service manual so I can refer to it but figuring out what is causing the problem(s) is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Does anyone have any ideas regarding what I can do to troubleshoot and repair the FP-8? If you do, please post it in this thread for me and others.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 05/01/14 09:59 AM.
Grim, dunno if you've done anything w/ this in the last 4 months, but it really isn't "like looking for a needle in a hay stack"--I have the same problem, but w/ the added issue that the amp output (both channels) has now died completely (it was working before). My internal left channel still works (albeit at a reduced output level), the right channel is mostly dead, and the static is often overwhelming. The problem is likely those electrolytic caps. On mine, a visual inspection shows evidence of leakage at C41 (I'll include C49, since it's so close), C31, C32 (again, due to proximity) and C11; C6 was obviously replaced at some point (not by me).

Unlike you, I don't have the service manual, which I understand has the schematics and info I need to replace those caps. Could you scan the pages for the main board, amp board assy. and jack board and either post them or send to me? The snippet posted above is nice, but doesn't show the other caps.

If you can get me the schematics, I'll fix mine and let you know if that completely resolves the problem.

G
G
I haven't been around here for a while. Here's a link to the whole service manual:

Roland FP-8 Service Manual

Let me know if you successfully repair your FP-8 and, if repaired, what you did.

J
J
Recently bought a used FP on a Swiss auction site. The piano suffered from crackling sounds or sometimes no sound at all. Have found a guy who replaced the caps on the motherboard (11 in total). Afterwards still crackling sound. Did some good cleaning on the back of the motherboard printboard with alchohol and that did the trick. Wonderful sound with excellent key/press quality. Thanks all for the help here, especially the links to the service manual and capacitator numbers came in very handy!
Regards from a happy FP-8 owner.

P
P
I have a repaired and tested working main board for the FP-8 for sale. Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing. Here is the listing:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/5114230199.html

P
P
I have relisted my professionally repaired Main Board for anyone who finds this thread and needs one. Cheers

Roland FP-8 Main board

http://r.ebay.com/ORWFXB

S
S
I have had this problem for some time and finally got around to try fixing it today. I replaced the two capacitors mentioned in the thread and sound is load again! smile I didn't do any further trouble shooting before attempting the fix since my oscilloscope is at work and I was too lazy to go get it.

Also, I didn't have any surface mount capacitors at hand and just couldn't wait until the shops open tomorrow so I used two 10uF 63V through hole electrolytes instead. I was able to re-use the plastic base from the surface mount capacitors to put together something resembling surface mount parts. smile

Thanks for all the contributions in this thread!

Staffan

M
M
Hi

having a similar problem but have some multilayer ceramic cap burned too. Do you know what measures are they? I have a slightly different motherboard, but eventually the electrolytic are the same 11 (10/16, 47/16 and 100/6.3). I think the multilayer ones come in two sizes (the tiny boxes spread all around). I can guess 270 and 33 from the picture that is shared in this thread (ex. see C47 and C53) , but what is the measurement unit?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission