Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
129 registered (A Guy, AmandaO, accordeur, ando, Allan Sutton, anamnesis, 34 invisible), 1614 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2362164 - Yesterday at 12:33 AM First time digital piano buyer needs help
Covfam73 Online   content

Howdy Y'all,
my wife has asked me to do most of the online legwork and research for a new piano.

I know nothing of pianos or music so this has been a bit of a crash course for me, my wife has played at home for 30 years on her 60 year old spinet that was her grandmothers before and its died and 5 seperate places quoted 30-35k to rebuld it but said it waznt worth it for a spinet unless there was extreme sentimwntal value but there isnt.

She plays an old grand piano for our church and keyboard for the spirit band, she wants to eventually learn some pop/rock piano (elton john style) she doesnt like or play classical other than her few beethoven songs that she likes.

So from reading various websites on piano buying i was directed towards the kawai CS10 the yamaha CVP 609 yamaha nu1 and roland hp508.
The roland is out for us because the nearest roland dealer is 6 hours drive from us and wont do any service work we need at that distance (already asked the dealer) we have one kawai dealer 3.5 hours away that we will be seeing on monday and there are 3 yamaha dealers withing a 2 hour distance for us that we will be going to.

Besides her testing them out is there any tips on things to look for in a digital piano and questions that we should ask them? also for her type of playstyle are the NU1 and CVP609 or CS10 necessary? Or would cheaper models like the CS7,CLP 585 work fine we dont 10k is our absolute limit but we dont want to overbuy either.
Thanks for any advice y'all have for us.

Edited by Covfam73 (Yesterday at 12:52 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2362185 - Yesterday at 02:58 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
With your potential budget the models you list are all worth play testing. All console models so I assume you are after a replacement look a like and not something on a stand? I would include the N2 in your thoughts, and also models such as the CA95. I would think they will all feel fine compared to the spinet action, but also quite different, and the sounds will be different too. That leaves what other features, voices, accompaniments and so on are essential or just nice to have. After that it is pretty much personal choice based on feel, sound, and perhaps aesthetics. Next step is indeed play some. Why wouldn't you also consider a good used acoustic?

#2362186 - Yesterday at 03:08 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
lophiomys Offline

Loc: Austria, EU
I'd check out the the Yamaha CLP 575, and CLP 585. 5 years extended warranty and nearby service is a good argument.
With your kind of budget available, I'd also check out some acoustic uprights, to see if your wife would prefer an acoustic over a digital piano.

#2362195 - Yesterday at 03:36 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Go Yamaha. They seem to be most reliable of the brands you mention notwithstanding the NU1 which appears to have issues and many would say is overpriced.

To play the music described, you don't have to spend anything like 10k. But at that price make sure the dealers handy. . . .have fun!

""

#2362196 - Yesterday at 03:41 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
Frédéric L Offline

Loc: France
The CVP609 costs a lot more than CLP585 or CLP575. It will be interesting only if you need accompaniment styles, multiples voices.

#2362223 - Yesterday at 05:12 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]

She specifically wanted a good digital for a couple reasons,

One currently her job has her moving every year or two, and with a 200 lb electric any two men can move it, vs paying for piano movers to move a 600 lb acoustic.

And her plan in roughly 10 years when she is done constantly moving is to save up and get a good disklavier but currently those are pricy (her family had a player piano growing up and she eventually would like one again).

One yamaha dealer suggested the U1sh instead of the nu1 but the price is out of our current budget and the constant moving.

And two answer someone else question above,she wants the all in one nicer cabinet of the digital paino as furniture than a Stage piano/keyboard and all the accessories since frequently it will be a major pice of furniture in the livingroom like her Old spinet was.

Someone above suggested thr N2 instead of the nu1 whats better with the n2 vs nu1? why skip the n1 hybrid?

I havent looked into the avant grand models because they looked like they would be out of our league for a 10 year piano thanks again for all your suggestions it will gove us some mpre to talks about.

#2362228 - Yesterday at 05:27 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]

As for all the accompanyments of some of the models she was worried at getting a unit with 500 voices and all sorts of effects when she doesnt think she would ever use them. But she did like having Some voices and metronome features.

For example she has said that she thinks that a model like the cs10/ca95 has more than enough voices and effects for her compared to the concert performer series from Kawai, on the other hand she like some of the beginner tools on the cvp609 and concert performer kawai for me because ill be learning piano soon. not so much the piano specifically butlearn music in genral and move from the piano to another instrument so i wouldnt buy a piano for just me

#2362229 - Yesterday at 05:28 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
leafhound Online   content

Loc: Everywhere
What type of music are you playing on the piano?

#2362235 - Yesterday at 05:51 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]

leafhound,
She plays church hymns and contemporary church music for our church and would practice music every week for a new service.
She also plays Christmas and other holiday music. eventually she would love to learn some pop/rock in the elton john style and possibly honky tonk piano.
At church she plays an old 7 foot grand for services and in the praise band for church she plays a new yamaha c4 both those are church pianos/keyboards.

#2362265 - Yesterday at 08:47 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
bnolsen Offline

Loc: Colorado
seems like there's no substitute for going and trying. The kawai ca95, etc would be good to try. And also try the yamahas. It's a shame about the the roland. If you can somehow play the yamahas and kawai and have access to acoustic grands all together that would be ideal of course.

For the type of playing you outline and for her level probably any of the above will work. Just like an acoustic she needs to play a battery of music on them.

Comparing the highest end yamaha and kawai the biggest difference you need take note of is that the yamaha pivot length is shorter than the kawai. May or may not matter to her.

#2362273 - Yesterday at 09:17 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]

yes Bnolsen, we both really wanted to get a try out on the hp508 or lx 15e from the way one of the online guides talked about them it sounded like they were pretty impressive for thier price range and wish they were closer to look at.

#2362290 - Yesterday at 10:15 AM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
petes1 Online   content

Originally Posted By: Covfam73
yes Bnolsen, we both really wanted to get a try out on the hp508 or lx 15e from the way one of the online guides talked about them it sounded like they were pretty impressive for thier price range and wish they were closer to look at.

I believe that this piano has the same action and the same core acoustic piano sound as my RD800. If so, I can't recommend it highly enough as the action feels great and the sounds and flexibility are beyond compare. It is too bad that you can't try this guy because I'm betting that she would love it.

Edit: Yep, on review of the Roland site, I see that they do share the same action and core sound generation.

Edited by petes1 (Yesterday at 10:25 AM)

#2362342 - Yesterday at 12:49 PM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
AndyJoe Offline

I am the owner of a Kawai CS10 and can quite honestly say I wish I hadn't bothered. Take a look at my posts to get an idea of the problems some people suffer with the CS10. CA95 or any Kawai model that features the 88 note sampling. Kawai say this is not a fault, but for many (myself included) this is a major problem and one contributor to my post has had to get rid because he couldn't live with it. I imagine I will be doing the same shortly although at the moment I am experimenting with using software sounds. However, that is not a real solution - the bottom line is you need to be able to play a decent piano as it comes rather than hook it up to a computer and play imported sounds.

I am very disappointed with my purchase and would urge you to read my post. At the end of the day, you will need to make your own mind up and I would recommend spending as much time as possible sampling as many models as you can get your hands on. You may decide to go with a CS10 or CA95 and be satisfied, but I feel you need to be aware of the potential problems, particularly as Kawai insist that this is a characteristic of the sound rather than a fault. I'm going to lose a lot of money on a trade in but I think it is inevitable.

I've never had a problem with Yamaha digitals and will probably be returning to them.

#2362465 - Yesterday at 06:55 PM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Link to AndyJoe's thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2354575

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2362468 - Yesterday at 06:58 PM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Covfam73, I believe your wife will be very happy with any of the higher specification Yamaha, Kawai, or Roland instruments that you are considering. While visiting multiple dealers may require a considerable amount of travelling, I believe it is justified given the investment you will be making.

If you have any specific queries regarding Kawai instruments, please feel free to drop me a line.

May I wish you the best of luck with your search.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2362503 - Yesterday at 09:06 PM Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: AndyJoe]
petes1 Online   content

Originally Posted By: AndyJoe
...Take a look at my posts to get an idea of the problems some people suffer with the CS10. CA95 or any Kawai model that features the 88 note sampling....

I have to comment on this. I've tried the upper-end Kawai models and have been quite impressed and have to admit to having struggled with the decision of whether to get my Roland vs. a Kawai slab and still have some second thoughts as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm also in the process of helping my sister choose a digital piano, and based on my experiences here and with Kawai keyboards am trying to steer her towards the Kawai CN35.

What I'm getting at is that while I have no doubt that what AndyJoe is stating has been a true experience for him, and that he has most definitely not been satisfied with his purchase, I feel that there is always going to be dissatisfaction with purchases of any brand, that I don't see this as the norm for the upper end Kawai products, and based on my experiences with their keyboards and with what I've seen here regarding their product and their customer services, I'd have no reservations recommending Kawai keyboards to my relatives and friends.

The bottom line is and remains that your wife needs to try them out and make her own educated choice based on her impression. But I have a feeling that she won't go wrong choosing any of the better Kawai, Roland or Yamaha offerings.

Edited by petes1 (Yesterday at 09:09 PM)

#2362977 - 5 minutes 40 seconds ago Re: First time digital piano buyer needs help [Re: Covfam73]

My wife and i went and saw a few digital pianos and she brought some of her music so that we could get a feel for a variety of music, one place has the casio celviano and kawai cn34 but nothing else because they mostly specialized in skool children instruments but they were thr most helpfull and least annoying.

We went to 3 different yamaha dealers and got to see alot of nice pianos but OMG! some of the most pushy and hard selling this side of a used car dealer convention! none would leave us alone so that she could play music they were too busy shoving prices and features and warranties and markdowns down our throats!

I had to tell them what if they ever wanted to male a sale they needed to let her actually play the piano and stop pusbing effect buttons. one dude didnt get the clue so we walked out on him.

The sucky part is my wife liked the Yamaha CVP 605 feel and sound, the kawai cn34 she like its feel the best but very disapointed in the sound. im hoping the Kawai dealer we are seeing on monday is better than our experience with yamaha, there is only 1 more yamaha in a 3 hour drive from us.

Is this pretty typical with Electric piano dealers or just a Yamaha thing?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
22 minutes 51 seconds ago
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
Today at 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
Today at 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
Today at 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
Today at 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348920 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission