2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 373 of 540 1 2 371 372 373 374 375 539 540

WiseBuff - congrats - you're achieving what I think a lot of us are still dreaming about!

Piano: 1905 Heintzman Upright
Time in: 3 years! Wow!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
OK, start of month 16, got a sticker tonight for Valsette from my teacher.

To put this in perspective, I've probably played over 300 pieces in all since starting last year, and this is only my fourth sticker. shocked

Oh yeah...

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by BrianDX
OK, start of month 16, got a sticker tonight for Valsette from my teacher.

To put this in perspective, I've probably played over 300 pieces in all since starting last year, and this is only my fourth sticker. shocked

Oh yeah...

well done, praise is indeed a treasure when so rare

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just so I don't leave the wrong impression, my teacher is wonderful and very supportive during my lesson. It's just that to qualify for "The Sticker", I have to be at the very top of my game.

To some folks this might sound silly, but to me this is very important.

My teacher is actually some type of miracle; she is strict, supportive, instructive, and kind all at the same time; never seen anything quite like her.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
L
L
Originally Posted by BrianDX

My teacher is actually some type of miracle; she is strict, supportive, instructive, and kind all at the same time; never seen anything quite like her.

This is a great compliment.

If my daughter could tell this about me as a father, I would be flattered.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Not an achievement
I had piano club performance and it did not go as well as I wanted. Played it through but seriously sucked. I played the same piece very well the night before in a performance hall.

I probably should have but I did not try the piano before I played. There was dark shadow on the keys (due to the light placed on the stand) and it took me off guard. 20 excellent pianists breathing behind me did not help either, hahaha. It was easier to play in a big hall since audience was far. Many told me that the shadow bothered them too but they were able to play it. I just need to learn to overcome this. My teacher said that I probably forgot to look at the score And started solely focusing on my hands when I was shocked with the shadow. It's called brain freeze or something like that. Really common she said. Not nerves since I did not have shaky fingers or sweat type of things.

It's only the last year and half I learned to play without looking at the keys. I have a tendency to look at the piano where there is a huge jump in notes. I may have to memorize or work on those spots to eliminate fear of hitting wrong notes. Old habit die hard, she said. I have been working on playing while reading. Reading while playing and sight reading is a major component of our lessons since I would like to study collaborative piano in six years. In collaboration you have to read the scores. Also have to play the piece that is relatively new to you. I have been performing 2 to 4 week studied (short) pieces for a while.

Disheartened, I opened my old Schumann book and noticed that I can now sight read traumerei. Phew. Ok. I'm making progress. I'm writing this to settle my mind and also help someone who has similar issue.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Yesterday we hosted our german shepherd club for the annual Christmas party. Huge feast, gift exchange (with stealing allowed), drinks and Broncos football. Two friends asked me to play the piano and you all know I am NOT the one to sit down and play in public (although I do play at planned piano parties). THIS TIME I sat down at my beloved piano and played several Christmas pieces and they were music and I enjoyed it and so did they. An achievement yes and perhaps a beginning to a new aspect of playing piano.

Great achievement. Those are precious moments. Cannot wait to see you and your piano someday.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Add another to the successful recital list. Ours was last night and probably the best adult recital we've had at the studio I go to. Only one performance that really went off the rails.

My teacher "kindly"(!) put me at the end of the program, right after Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu played by an adult student who happens to be a piano teacher herself! Still I think I performed Liebestraume pretty well, a couple of measures went wrong but I skipped ahead and overall very nice. My runs are in better shape than the submission for the November recital.

So, it's gone from my active pieces but I will REALLY try to keep it alive.

Congratulations!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl - Sorry to hear your piano club performance did not go as well as you would have liked. A strange piano especially with distracting shadows on the keyboard sounds like a lot to handle! I guess every performance is a learning experience. You play so beautifully, I am sure it was not as bad as you think!

I am trying very hard to play without looking at my hands as well, and I am also working on sight reading. It is a slow, but steady course. Playing Traumerei by sight is impressive!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
AOTW for me was to play at my first live recital today.
Congratulations!!! thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
My AOTW
I too had a public performance.(...)
I have one more performance today.
Phoenix piano club meeting plus Christmas party.
I'm going to play the same piece as I played in the college recital AND Christmas music violin duet with another pianist. I play the second violin part. I'm more nervous about it than piano. I also have to bake a cake now.

Piano and violin. That's great!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
(...)THIS TIME I sat down at my beloved piano and played several Christmas pieces and they were music and I enjoyed it and so did they. An achievement yes and perhaps a beginning to a new aspect of playing piano.

Playing piano in public is awesome. A real AOTW! Congratulations, WiseBuff!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Add another to the successful recital list. Ours was last night and probably the best adult recital we've had at the studio I go to. (...)

Oh, another one? I'm so happy for you guys. Thanks for sharing this stories. Congratulations, Andy Platt!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not an achievement
I had piano club performance and it did not go as well as I wanted. Played it through but seriously sucked. I played the same piece very well the night before in a performance hall.

I probably should have but I did not try the piano before I played. There was dark shadow on the keys (due to the light placed on the stand) and it took me off guard. 20 excellent pianists breathing behind me did not help either, hahaha. It was easier to play in a big hall since audience was far. Many told me that the shadow bothered them too but they were able to play it. I just need to learn to overcome this. My teacher said that I probably forgot to look at the score And started solely focusing on my hands when I was shocked with the shadow. It's called brain freeze or something like that. Really common she said. Not nerves since I did not have shaky fingers or sweat type of things. (...)

FarmGirl, on the contrary, I think this is a huge achievement: Looking back and being able to think about what went wrong, it's an intelligent and important behavior. Not everyone can do it.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry the second didn't go as well as you would have liked - but thank you for sharing the experience - I would never have thought about checking for shadows on the keys - I think that would be very distracting indeed!

Malkin - goofing on the piano and making cookies - what a great day!

SandTiger- playing every day , even if only for a few minutes, is what a lot of us do! You're doing MOYD !

Wisebuff! Good for you! Finding a new aspect of enjoyment of your piano playing is super!

Andy -Congrats to you too! What a satisfying experience for you

BrianDX - What fun!!! My teacher doesn't give stickers - but I wish he would - I know how exciting is it when you finally hit the mark on the standard your teacher is setting for you! Bravo!

My AOTW is (I think) rather funny. My teacher had suggested I work with the metronome for my sonatina because I was starting slowly but then speeding up. He has also asked me to start pressing the keys all the way down to the bed. I was hitting them too lightly and getting "empty" notes ...So this week, with changing the way I was pressing the keys and going insane with the metronome I felt I had not made any progress. I played at home before the lesson and thought it was rubbish. I went to the lesson feeling disheartened. When I played for him, it actually went really well - and he said "Great! Much better than last week" .. and then I said "I'm going to tell you something I've never told you before"...He looked very curious and I continued "I actually played it better HERE than at home". We both got a kick out of that.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
AOTW for me was to play at my first live recital today. My teacher's end of year showcase concert was a very laid back event but thirty other students and their parents was a huge audience to me. It was all the more nerve racking since I was the only adult and I was keen to impress, playing my last two PW recital pieces. I chose to play Satie's Gnossienne No 1 as my first piece as it was the more secure of the two. Although I seemed to have control of my nerves I did not have full control of my shaking fingers. I made a couple of errors but played straight through by adding some notes and I doubt anyone except my teacher noticed. My Chopin Prelude Op 28 No 20 was always going to be a problem though, and I got thirty seconds in before the wheels fell off and no amount of playing through was going to save it. I stopped and restarted from the beginning cruising through the first and most difficult section, only to be tripped by a momentary lapse in the second section. I jumped to my reset point and before I knew it I was basking in applause. I really enjoyed the experience and can't wait for my next chance up on the stage.

This is great! Shaking fingers and you still enjoyed it. That's inspiring. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Earlofmer
Congratulations on your first public performance. It's amazing you played through from the first time and enjoyed it. You maybe one of the "natural" performers.

My AOTW
I too had a public performance. It was my college final exam performance at the newly remodeled performance arts center. It was surprisingly well attended. Usually it's all students relatives and friends. I played my little piece (Schumann Warum) since it's the only piece ready. I can play through Rach Elergy but not in my liking. I love the piece and would love to do a super good job. The rest of pieces are two weeks old. I hit a few wrong notes first time in the section that has repeats. I covered it up with resolving into tonic of the chord I messed up and went back to the original chord to resume the piece. Basically using 5 - 1 -5 sequence. Second time around on the repeat I played all the notes, phew! People told me that it sounded beautiful. My teacher was pleased because I learned to voice well in the piece. It is not a piece assigned to me for the Schumann recital. It is the one before. I noticed the piece when I was reading through the pieces in the Op 12 book. Schumann had two personalities one is introvert and the other kind of extrovert. Warum is former and Grillen is the latter. So I decided to learn both. Anyway we went to a Mexican restaurants afterwards, then two dressed up people came to our table and commented on our recital. They were like "we saw you guys, you did great we enjoyed it". They loved the "free" evening of classical music. I kinda felt like a star.

I have one more performance today.
Phoenix piano club meeting plus Christmas party.
I'm going to play the same piece as I played in the college recital AND Christmas music violin duet with another pianist. I play the second violin part. I'm more nervous about it than piano. I also have to bake a cake now.

That is so cool having someone come up to you and tell you you did great and they enjoyed it. You *should* feel like a star.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
This morning I easily played through all the stuff I stumbled through at my lesson yesterday, practiced the stuff I needed to practice, did a little piano goofing off.

Then baked 5 dozen cookies. smile

Playing through all your stuff easily, practicing, and "free-style" piano are great achievements, but posterity will take note of the five dozen cookies. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Yesterday we hosted our german shepherd club for the annual Christmas party. Huge feast, gift exchange (with stealing allowed), drinks and Broncos football. Two friends asked me to play the piano and you all know I am NOT the one to sit down and play in public (although I do play at planned piano parties). THIS TIME I sat down at my beloved piano and played several Christmas pieces and they were music and I enjoyed it and so did they. An achievement yes and perhaps a beginning to a new aspect of playing piano.

Definitely an achievement, and I hope it's the start of newly expanded piano horizons. Did you surprise yourself doing this or were you kind of planning to play if someone asked?

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Add another to the successful recital list. Ours was last night and probably the best adult recital we've had at the studio I go to. Only one performance that really went off the rails.

My teacher "kindly"(!) put me at the end of the program, right after Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu played by an adult student who happens to be a piano teacher herself! Still I think I performed Liebestraume pretty well, a couple of measures went wrong but I skipped ahead and overall very nice. My runs are in better shape than the submission for the November recital.

So, it's gone from my active pieces but I will REALLY try to keep it alive.

Didn't your teacher put you at the end of the program at a previous recital, or am I imagining it? At any rate, well done--your teacher has you on her "go-to" list for ending a recital with style. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Page 373 of 540 1 2 371 372 373 374 375 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission