2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Here is a view of the partials of a M3. The wave-file can be heard here - M3 resultant

You can hear the resultant, using headphones, starting at about 2 seconds into the recording. The resultant is at 66.6309Hz, but does not show up in the Fourier Analysis screen. The beats you hear (3.0bps, Young temperament) is the beating of the 5th and 4th partials.

[Linked Image]

The analysis screen shows power line artifacts at 60 and 120Hz. They can be ignored.

Last edited by prout; 12/16/14 11:32 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by DoelKees
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
But if our ears hear it, i.e. the ear drum is moving in and out with a resultant component, then the microphone diaphragm will have the resultant component in it, and that should be picked up in a Fourier transform. I was able to apply a 100 Hz bandpass filter on the audio of my video and out came the 100hz sound. If it wasn't there, I couldn't filter it.

I feel you have a superior knowledge in this area but I would like to understand it a bit more.

Are you saying, if I take a 440 and 441hz signal and combine them, then filter out the 440 and 441 signal, the 1hz beat will not be there any more? It would make sense, but at the same time it seems to defy my common understanding.

Try mixing a 400Hz sine wave and a 300Hz and do a spectral analysis. You will not see the difference tone at 100Hz. Beats are not pressure waves, though they both are measured in Hz! Same for 440 and 441 of course.

Feed the 400+300 sound to a non-linear distortion device and record the result and you will see the difference tone (beat) in the Fourier analysis.

Your ear+brain is non-linear.

Kees

As Kees has stated above, the ear+brain is non linear.

Here is an analysis of two tones down mixed to a single channel and played simultaneously. As you can see, only two frequencies are detected - 660Hz and 825Hz.

Listen to the wave file.

660-825Hz test

Depending on your equipment/ears/brain, you will hear at least four pitches - 660Hz, 825Hz, 165Hz (825-660), and 495Hz (660-165). It may be possible to detect 330Hz as well (495-165).

Prout

(p.s. - The wave file was recorded with 660Hz in the left channel and 825Hz in the right channel. If you open the file in Audacity and mute one channel or pan the volume fully left or right, the effect will disappear.)

[Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I hear only two tones, one in the left ear and one in the right. If I mix it down to mono, or play it on my computer's speakers and don't sit very close, then I hear the sum and difference tones. It is the ear drums that are the non-linear element where the mixing takes place, not the brain.

Paul.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by prout
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
But if our ears hear it, i.e. the ear drum is moving in and out with a resultant component, then the microphone diaphragm will have the resultant component in it, and that should be picked up in a Fourier transform. I was able to apply a 100 Hz bandpass filter on the audio of my video and out came the 100hz sound. If it wasn't there, I couldn't filter it.

I feel you have a superior knowledge in this area but I would like to understand it a bit more.

Are you saying, if I take a 440 and 441hz signal and combine them, then filter out the 440 and 441 signal, the 1hz beat will not be there any more? It would make sense, but at the same time it seems to defy my common understanding.

There are a bunch of issues involved. The acoustic reproducers - speakers, headphones - introduce harmonic distortion that can produce the sounds you hear.

I will publish a wave-file and the Fourier transform that shows the non-existence of the clearly heard resultant. Give me a day or so.

I'm off to New York tomorrow. During the day I can find the papers that I mentioned earlier. They may help explain the phenomenon.

Cheers

Try this site or just Google "missing fundamentals"

http://auditoryneuroscience.com/topics/missing-fundamental

G
GMG Offline OP
OP Offline
G
The missing fundamental can also be practically observed at the piano. eg: if you were to play a dominant 7th chord in 1st inversion, take Eb7 (so from lowest to highest note we have G,Bb,Db and Eb) you can think of these notes as representing the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th harmonic respectively of the Eb fundamental. If you play this chord with a hard staccato blow in the temperament section (ie: the G on the bottom is G3) and hold the note Eb1 (the fundamental) down without sounding so the damper is off the string you can faintly hear Eb1 resonating and more clearly the 2nd harmonic at Eb2. At first you would think it was simply air pressure compressions that are causing the free string (Eb1) to vibrate but if you play another adjacent dominant 7th chord (say D7) the open Eb1 string won't resonate. Experiments have been done in fundamental tracking with pure tones where pairs of intervals are played together in a melodic sequence and the test subject hears a resultant fundamental lower down creating its own melody without even sounding these notes - a phantom melody. The test above with the Eb7 produces not only the fundamental but of course the whole partial spectrum along with the longitudinal modes of vibration that you can hear coming and going as the whole thing decays over at least 30 seconds on the piano I was on. This is all so fascinating to enter into this auditory labyrinth where I'm sure there are more mysteries to discover!

muso, part time tech.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission