Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#236308 - 11/13/03 05:26 PM 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet - Walnut
shakumar Offline

I've decided that the "antique" Decker Bros piano probably isn't for me. So, having come to that conclusion I've continued my search for the right piano.

Realistically, this Baldwin is probably more of what I need (even though it's not nearly as attractive).

This is a 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet, walnut cabinet and bench, all original, has been serviced and tuned regularly. Original owner is moving and needs to sell.

Appreciate any information or advice that you can give me.

Thanks,
Chris

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#236309 - 11/13/03 06:10 PM Re: 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet - Walnut
MLT Offline

Chris,

I would suggest you slow down a little bit in your search and I think you will have much better results. I have to tell you that I really liked the Baldwin uprights that I played. They sound much better to me than either the Kawai's or Yamaha's that people tend to purchase. The older ones also are a solid workhorse.

We finally ended up with a 1987 Sohmer upright which is a similar beast and we are thrilled with it. Sometimes when I play my relatives Kawai I just thank heavens its not mine, although its a great piano, if you like that sound and touch.

What I wonder about the most is what kind of price range have you set aside for your purchase? As I posted before, I think the most important question to ask about a used piano is "why are you selling it?". This will tell you almost everything you need to know about a piano and a tech can do the rest.

Good luck to you in your search, have fun and let us know how you do.

Kirk

#236310 - 11/13/03 09:47 PM Re: 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet - Walnut
shakumar Offline

Thanks for the info., Kirk.

Actually, I've always wanted a piano and have been researching online for a long time. I just happened to find this site today and thought I could gather some more information (as I am a cautious consumer).

This Baldwin is being sold because the owner is moving (actually has already moved) and is unable to take it with her. I've been in contact with her now for about a month.

I'm not looking for a super expensive piano, but I do want one that sounds good and will do so for many years to come.

Thanks again.
Chris

#236311 - 11/13/03 10:34 PM Re: 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet - Walnut
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

A Baldwin from 1971 is pre "leverage buyout" so in general should be in pretty good shape, but to be on the safe side, have a tech look at it. It is money well spent.

#236312 - 11/13/03 10:59 PM Re: 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet - Walnut
TheloniousPunk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: US
My grandmother passed away this year, and one of the things that had to be disposed of was an Acrosonic spinet of about that age. My crazy aunt took it. It was an odd purplish-brown, almost like a pair of cordovan shoes.

#236313 - 11/14/03 10:29 AM Re: 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet - Walnut
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
The Acrosonic is a reasonable "starter" piano. We had a thread awhile back and there are several accomplished pianists who started on Acro's. They are well built, and will hold a tune for years (assuming no damage).

That being said, 1971 is still getting up in years, and this piano is pretty long in the tooth (long in the key?). My guess is you will get perhaps another 10 years or so out of it. If this is OK with you, then great! If you are like lots of people and enjoy this piano, you may find that you'll want to trade up within 10 years, regardless. I traded my Acro (1965 vintage) for $500 a few years back. My guess is a reasonable price for this (assuming it's in good condition) would be $800-$1000.

You could do a LOT worse!

Nina

#236314 - 11/14/03 11:06 AM Re: 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet - Walnut
MLT Offline

Chris,

I should have expanded on my reply to you a little bit. I meant to compliment you on finding out why they were selling it since you mentioned that in your post. Moving seems to be the reason alot of people sell.

I think the prices that Nina quoted are in the ball park but it does depend on the condition and the local market where you live.

The one thing about the Baldwins is they have the potential to put out a big loud sound. Will that be ok with the neighbors where you live?

Im excited for you and hope you found a good piano. Let us know what happens.

Kirk

#236315 - 11/14/03 01:31 PM Re: 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet - Walnut
freddie Offline

Loc: Indiana
I like Acrosonics and there are some pianists that do like them as their regular "playing" piano or to teach on. The price they are asking is a good one for an Acro in ok condition, in my humble opinion. Your best bet is to have a tech check it out if you can before you decide to buy it.

I haven't been lucky enough to find one in good enough shape for anywhere near that price.

Good Luck mate,

freddie

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, anotherscott, Atrys, Auver, 46 invisible), 1414 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153592 Topics
2251056 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Today at 07:41 PM
Am I Too Old?
by HatemTarek22
Today at 07:34 PM
New 52" upright with 10K budget?
by WCSdancer
Today at 07:26 PM
give up on old acoustics and buy a digital?
by carojm36
Today at 06:41 PM
I think I have a problem
by JoelW
Today at 05:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission