2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I've decided that the "antique" Decker Bros piano probably isn't for me. So, having come to that conclusion I've continued my search for the right piano.

Realistically, this Baldwin is probably more of what I need (even though it's not nearly as attractive).

This is a 1971 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet, walnut cabinet and bench, all original, has been serviced and tuned regularly. Original owner is moving and needs to sell.

Appreciate any information or advice that you can give me.

Thanks,
Chris

M
MLT Offline
M
Chris,

I would suggest you slow down a little bit in your search and I think you will have much better results. I have to tell you that I really liked the Baldwin uprights that I played. They sound much better to me than either the Kawai's or Yamaha's that people tend to purchase. The older ones also are a solid workhorse.

We finally ended up with a 1987 Sohmer upright which is a similar beast and we are thrilled with it. Sometimes when I play my relatives Kawai I just thank heavens its not mine, although its a great piano, if you like that sound and touch.

What I wonder about the most is what kind of price range have you set aside for your purchase? As I posted before, I think the most important question to ask about a used piano is "why are you selling it?". This will tell you almost everything you need to know about a piano and a tech can do the rest.

Good luck to you in your search, have fun and let us know how you do.

Kirk

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info., Kirk.

Actually, I've always wanted a piano and have been researching online for a long time. I just happened to find this site today and thought I could gather some more information (as I am a cautious consumer).

This Baldwin is being sold because the owner is moving (actually has already moved) and is unable to take it with her. I've been in contact with her now for about a month.

I'm not looking for a super expensive piano, but I do want one that sounds good and will do so for many years to come.

Thanks again.
Chris

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
A Baldwin from 1971 is pre "leverage buyout" so in general should be in pretty good shape, but to be on the safe side, have a tech look at it. It is money well spent.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
My grandmother passed away this year, and one of the things that had to be disposed of was an Acrosonic spinet of about that age. My crazy aunt took it. It was an odd purplish-brown, almost like a pair of cordovan shoes.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The Acrosonic is a reasonable "starter" piano. We had a thread awhile back and there are several accomplished pianists who started on Acro's. They are well built, and will hold a tune for years (assuming no damage).

That being said, 1971 is still getting up in years, and this piano is pretty long in the tooth (long in the key?). My guess is you will get perhaps another 10 years or so out of it. If this is OK with you, then great! If you are like lots of people and enjoy this piano, you may find that you'll want to trade up within 10 years, regardless. I traded my Acro (1965 vintage) for $500 a few years back. My guess is a reasonable price for this (assuming it's in good condition) would be $800-$1000.

You could do a LOT worse!

Nina

M
MLT Offline
M
Chris,

I should have expanded on my reply to you a little bit. I meant to compliment you on finding out why they were selling it since you mentioned that in your post. Moving seems to be the reason alot of people sell.

I think the prices that Nina quoted are in the ball park but it does depend on the condition and the local market where you live.

The one thing about the Baldwins is they have the potential to put out a big loud sound. Will that be ok with the neighbors where you live?

Im excited for you and hope you found a good piano. Let us know what happens.

Kirk

I like Acrosonics and there are some pianists that do like them as their regular "playing" piano or to teach on. The price they are asking is a good one for an Acro in ok condition, in my humble opinion. Your best bet is to have a tech check it out if you can before you decide to buy it.

I haven't been lucky enough to find one in good enough shape for anywhere near that price.

Good Luck mate,

freddie

"The best thing about being a bachelor is that you can get into bed from either side" - James Dean

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission