2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
30-50 cent pitch raise, with Tunelab performing flawlessly
once again.

Very tinny bass end, and too many strings had what I call
"wandering-pitch-syndrome," which is easy to see with Tunelab.
Is this common problem with spinets?

One hammer was missing the third string. So I discovered it's
not easy to turn a hammer butt flange screw on a some spinets, without removing the action, as this one had a wooden rail right across it. I just managed to move it enough to hit the third string, but it would have been better to have also hit it with my heat gun, which I conveniently thought I would not need today! DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR HEAT GUN!

grin

At any rate, I still did a good second pass fine tune, and the customers loved it.

Not a great piano, but since they are total piano beginners, it's more than enough piano for them. And actually, it was in excellent shape, because it wasn't played very much over the years.

D
D
These Cable Nelsons were a great design. I have tuned them as old as 1939. I tuned two recently which were 120 to 160 cents low. Got them up in about an hour, but my blood pressure went up. On the old ones, I find them with remarkeably good bridges. The older they are, the better, quite often. If not worn out or corroded, they have a lovely bell like tone in the treble. With good bass strings, one can feel the floor buzz. Workmanship early on was wonderful. I live 40 minutes from where they were made in South haven , Mi. Nothing left there now to indicate it was a great piano factory for almost 100 years. Yamaha last owner.

David Postma, Associate Member, PTG Lansing, Michigan
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Davepost
These Cable Nelsons were a great design. I have tuned them as old as 1939. I tuned two recently which were 120 to 160 cents low. Got them up in about an hour, but my blood pressure went up. On the old ones, I find them with remarkeably good bridges. The older they are, the better, quite often. If not worn out or corroded, they have a lovely bell like tone in the treble. With good bass strings, one can feel the floor buzz. Workmanship early on was wonderful. I live 40 minutes from where they were made in South haven , Mi. Nothing left there now to indicate it was a great piano factory for almost 100 years. Yamaha last owner.

Well, I hate to admit this, but I'm starting to understand why
people don't consider spinets "real" instruments.

This particular one I just tuned seem to have even less bass
than the Kimball I had recently. Just a near complete absence
of low end! It's good enough for kids or beginners, which is
what the customers were, but with any serious piano player such as
myself, you can't get any "rumble" out of it....no emotional depth, so to speak.

The Richmond studio that I have now has about the least bass
I can happily practice and live with.

Still, people have to learn on something, and have to start somewhere, so I'll tune and repair whatever people have.....just don't ask me to take the action out of a spinet!

grin ha

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Paul:

It is nice to have the hammers hit all the strings, but when there are even moderate string marks on the hammer it is often best to leave things as they are. If you reposition the hammer, the note will stick out because of the difference in tone. Shaping the hammer can make it even worse! You can pluck the third string and tune it that way.

(Flame suit on...)

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Paul:

It is nice to have the hammers hit all the strings, but when there are even moderate string marks on the hammer it is often best to leave things as they are. If you reposition the hammer, the note will stick out because of the difference in tone. Shaping the hammer can make it even worse! You can pluck the third string and tune it that way.

(Flame suit on...)

You are wise to put the suit on.... grin

Hitting only 2 of the 3 strings is like depressing an una
corda pedal, and makes a big change in tone.

And in this case, it was better to have this one note match
all the others, which were traveling properly.

So in this case I did the right thing, although technically,
if a grooved hammer is realigned without being reshaped, the old grooves will try to mate with the strings, putting stain
on the hammer, shank, and butt. However, as I mentioned before,
this piano was never played very much, so the string grooves were
not very deep.

I also didn't have the time to remove the action to reshape the
hammers!

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Paul678
Paul:

(Flame suit on...)

if a grooved hammer is realigned without being reshaped, the old grooves will try to mate with the strings, putting stain
not very deep.

hammers!

Jeff is right. If that hammer sounded different than the others, it was for some other reason. If the una corda pedal moves the hammers so far that the two strings played are lined up with the grooves one string over, there will not be any noticeable tone difference. It's strings hitting new felt that make the difference. Exactly what you did by moving the hammer over so it hit all three strings.

This is how things work with hammers and string alignment, all other things created equal. If you could see any groove at all, it's enough to cause a huge difference in tone.

Also, it is possible with a curved hammer file made from aluminum flat bar, carpet tape, and sand paper, to file moderate grooves with the action in the piano.

P
Paul678 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT

Jeff is right. If that hammer sounded different than the others, it was for some other reason. If the una corda pedal moves the hammers so far that the two strings played are lined up with the grooves one string over, there will not be any noticeable tone difference. It's strings hitting new felt that make the difference. Exactly what you did by moving the hammer over so it hit all three strings.

This is how things work with hammers and string alignment, all other things created equal. If you could see any groove at all, it's enough to cause a huge difference in tone.

Also, it is possible with a curved hammer file made from aluminum flat bar, carpet tape, and sand paper, to file moderate grooves with the action in the piano.

Well, in this case it seemed like the note sounded better matched
after I adjusted it, but I will keep your advice in mind the
next time this comes up, thanks Mark.

And I was going to ask if you folks file grooves with the action in the piano, and the answer is yes.....I'll have to make a new tool!

thumb

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Paul:

(Flame suit on...)

not very deep.

hammers!

Point of order... Spinets do not shift the action for the Una chorda... At least none I've seen.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by SMHaley
Paul:

(Flame suit on...)

not very deep.

hammers!

Point of order... Spinets do not shift the action for the Una chorda... At least none I've seen.

Again, A plea for accurate reading.

"is like pressing an una corda" Is what was said. "like" pressing an una corda does not mean there is an una corda.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I shape hammers in the piano regularly. The worst part of it is that does put a bit of strain on my back. Many times these are "quick and dirty" reshaping jobs: just minimizing the groves with some 60 grit paper and then rounding out the corners with some 80 and then sometimes taking it further with finer grits as time allows. The nice thing about uprights is it's very easy to fit hammers to strings.

Here's a recording I made a couple weeks ago of a Kimball "Artist Spinet". This is one of those that transitions from trichords to plain wire bichords, and then to wrapped bichords all in the temperament area! Needless to say this really changes the beat speed of intervals - but I find them an interesting puzzle to figure out: its all about compromise!

The recording is an example of what I usually play at the end of a tuning. Its just a series of arpeggios with a little melodic playing in the top octave. I move chromatically up from C and end on B. Its not exactly music, but clients like to hear it, and its good to play something soothing after all the tedious banging!

I like to occasionally record spinets to prove that they can be "real" musical instruments (contrary to what some technicians say!).

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by rxd
Paul:

(Flame suit on...)

not very deep.

hammers!

Again, A plea for accurate reading.

"is like pressing an una corda" Is what was said. "like" pressing an una corda does not mean there is an una corda.

Rxd you may want to read a bit more carefully yourself. Mark did not once use the word "like" a single time in his post. This is why I include the string of responses in my response, so that nit pickers such as yourself responding to the nit pickees have to be all the more careful nit picking.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[...] Mark did not once use the word "like" a single time in his post. [...]

No, but Paul did. (You may use the "blush" emoticon, now.) grin

I'm with Jeff on the two-string hammer hitter. Unless you are going to spend time aligning and shaping all of the hammers, it is not necessarily a bad thing to leave it alone. Things can suffer noticeably in "the musical context," otherwise. It's a judgement call, of course.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission