2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
OP Offline
I
So here we are almost in 2015. Lots of digital pianos out there.

Let's start by forgetting all of the ones under $500.

I am looking for a digital piano to practice on when the family is sleeping. My 6'3" Pramberger JP-185 is a little loud smile

Don't care what it looks like. I want the best sound and touch for the money and don't need built-in speakers as I will always be using headphones.

I tried most of the Yamis and while the P255 has exceptional sound, the touch is well calibrated but still too light compared to most acoustic pianos. I am used to bashing on my Pramberger keys and having sore arms after playing for an hour or two. smile I have played a lot of other acoustic pianos with even heavier actions.

I can't believe that even in 2015, digital piano actions are still way too light for any serious preparation for acoustic piano play.

Any suggestions come to mind?

Thanks!

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What's the high end of your budget?

Yamaha's N series (N1 - N3) have the closest thing to a real grand piano action because is is comprised of a real piano action.

Kawai has a few models (CA95 and MP11) with their 'Grand Feel' action which emulates closely (a matter of opinion of course) a grand piano action.

When faced with the similar choice I went with the Kawai VPC1 (Virtual Piano Controller) but you need to add piano software for the sound engine. I personally prefer Pianoteq for its responsiveness but again this comes down to personal opinion.

Roland also has some models with their own action designs and the V-piano which has a model sound engine instead of sampled. I have not played on any of these so can't provide an opinion one way or another.

Last edited by Vid; 12/18/14 07:47 PM.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know where you are in the world, but please seek out an RD-800 to try.

Turn it on and scroll to Patch #34 "Studio Grand" and just play.

Let us know how you like it.

Jay

Industry Consultant
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by integris
I can't believe that even in 2015, digital piano actions are still way too light for any serious preparation for acoustic piano play.

OTOH, many digital actions feel heavier than my Yamaha grand, or one of my students' Bluthner. Seems to me like maybe you're just used to a heavier than average grand...?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I would echo Jay's recommendation about the RD-800. I don't own one, but I have played it and its action feels somewhat heavier than my V-Grand, so that may be to your liking.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
If you like a weightier feel, the Kawai Grand Feel pianos (MP11, or CA65/95) are what you want to go with. The VPC1 is also a contender, but you have to be OK with using software pianos, which WILL give you a much better sound than most on-board sounds. However, there is the hassle of hooking it up to a computer/laptop for the sounds. But really, not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but a great way to get something quite comparable to your acoustic.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
your candidates are the kawai mp11 and roland rd800.

it may be hard if not impossible to find these boards to play. i've listed what i think are the equivalent cabinet models which should be at a local dealer:

kawai: ca65, ca85 and some of the cs series have the gf action.

roland: hp506 and hp508 (i think)

IMHO the kawai GF is most realistic. you may like the roland action, its worth trying.

you can try the very top end clavinova but IMHO yamaha seriously needs to up their game still for realistic actions.

I
OP Offline
I
Wow you guys are great! Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions.

A lot of companies market "grand feel" or "feels like a grand" actions but quite simply, it is just marketing.

My fear is that if you don't have the actual action of an acoustic piano with the hammers hitting electrical sensors instead of strings (why has no company done this yet?) then you will never get the "feel" of an acoustic piano from an electronic piano.

It amazes me that companies can still sell basic electronic pianos at $1500-$2000 with actions that still feel more like a keyboard than a piano.

I talked to my wife about it and she said "just play the grand even if we are sleeping". LOL That's all great as long as I am playing for fun but if I start repeating the same piece hundreds of times over and over, I think she will change her mind pretty fast! smile

Thanks again. Anyone else that wants to contribute their 2 cents, by all means please don't hesitate.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

My fear is that if you don't have the actual action of an acoustic piano with the hammers hitting electrical sensors instead of strings (why has no company done this yet?)

Yamaha does make "hybrid" pianos which are digital pianos with an action designed from acoustic pianos (NU1, N1, N2, N3), but they are more expensive than usual digital pianos.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My fear is that if you don't have the actual action of an acoustic piano with the hammers hitting electrical sensors instead of strings (why has no company done this yet?)

This had been done long ago, those pianos are called "electric pianos" and they got out of fashion, because they sound nothing like an AP and must be tuned and regulated just like an AP.

Due to the latter even most people interested in EP sounds buy a DP emulating an EP.

It amazes me that companies can still sell basic electronic pianos at $1500-$2000 with actions that still feel more like a keyboard than a piano.

DP buyers usually look for an upright piano replacement. Uprights don't feel and play like a grands either. And most people prefer not having sore arms after just one or two hours of practice.

Yamaha P-515
R
R
Hi integris,

I know exactly how you feel as I have done exactly this research as you some months ago. I own a Steinway Grand and also use digital pianos mainly due to their variety of sounds (also vintage E-pianos) and MIDI capabilities. Nevertheless I wanted something with the best action which would be as close as possible to my acoustic.

I would recommend the Kawai MP11 on your shortlist. If you prefer a heavy action, this is the one to go. The breakoff-weight is heavier than on my Steinway, the let-off simulation feels a bit different but touch and feel of the action resembles pretty closely what you would expect from a grand piano.

Yet I have to confess that my instrument required some post-buy service (I mentioned that somewhere else on this forum) but nevertheless, I love this great device and really enjoy playing it.

Concerning Roland, I was quite lucky to check some of their slabs recently. I really liked the action of the RD-700NX, it was slightly lighter than the MP11 but felt a bit more "fluid". But when I played it I was not able to directly compare it to the Kawai so please take this statement with a grain of salt.

Compared to the RD-800 the action of the 700NX felt better and more realistic. I can not give a technical justification for that, I just had the intention that the 700NX was closer to an acoustic grand while the 800 felt more like a very good electronic piano. You would have to try this on your own.

If you like something *REALLY* heavy, there would be the Kawai VPC-1. No internal sounds, just a controller. I only played it once but for my taste it really was a bit too heavy. I needed to "work" those keys, so it would resemble the ultimate heavyweight champion on my list.
If the MP11 and the Rolands are still to light for you, give the VPC-1 a try. You might easily plug a laptop with some decent VST sampler into it so soundwise not a big issue. But you might like the action from what I have read in your posts.

L
L
grin In this order.

1. Roland - V-Piano (amazing dynamics and expression)
2. Kawai VPC1 - galaxy II (good sound)
3. Yamaha - N3

“To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.” ~ Chang Tzu
Originally Posted by leafhound
grin In this order.

1. Roland - V-Piano (amazing dynamics and expression)
2. Kawai VPC1 - galaxy II (good sound)
3. Yamaha - N3

In my opinion:

1. Best action & all-in-one package, but most expensive: Yamaha N3
2. Almost best action, most realistic sound: Kawai VPC1 + software piano (Ivory, VI Labs, Galaxy, Pianoteq)
3. Okay action, best dynamics and expression, but unrealistic sound: Roland V-Piano

Of course, there are a number of alternative options not on this list.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Have you looked into a Silent Piano option on your current acoustic piano? I know nothing of these personally and have heard varying results. Some say it doesn't change the feel at all, others say it does. Just throwing that out there as an option to research. Perhaps you can look in on the Piano Tech Forum on this site to see what the technicians have to say about them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
If you are looking for an acoustic piano replacement and you play classical music, and value the kind of (almost) unlimited tonal and dynamic range that acoustics provide, only the V-Piano & Grand will suffice. Nothing else comes remotely close, especially if you are pushing towards the extremes of expression.

If you just want a keyboard to bang on at night, and want a heavy action, any of the alternatives others have suggested will do.

Classical concert pianists use the AvantGrands for learning new pieces (and the drilling of notes 'into the fingers') and technical stuff that requires a lot of repetitive work, to spare the wear and tear on their acoustics' actions. They don't use them for developing tonal nuances and interpretation - their limited range of expression and dynamics would drive any classical pianist mad. (Of course, if you don't require to play so expressively, all bets are off......)

As for software pianos, my experience is limited to the free Pianoteq samples. They don't 'feel' in the least realistic, and sound totally disconnected to my playing, as if there is an intermediary robot (similar to the fly-by-wire system in modern aircraft) between my fingers and the sound that comes out.

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bennevis
As for software pianos, my experience is limited to the free Pianoteq samples. They don't 'feel' in the least realistic, and sound totally disconnected to my playing, as if there is an intermediary robot (similar to the fly-by-wire system in modern aircraft) between my fingers and the sound that comes out.

To me, and disregarding sound issues, this very much sounds like a latency problem, possible coupled to a key velocity curve adaptation problem. And it sounds familiar. I have never managed (so far, and short of buying a dedicated computer) to couple my VPC1 to a software sound with a latency that was short enough for nuanced playing with good tactile feedback and for avoiding a 'disconnected' feel. (Which is why my VPC is coupled to another instrument rather than a software.)

Thus, if as a classical pianist you go the software route, expect to (1) buy a powerful and suitable computer that really is up to the task, and (2) to fiddle around with the setup and its settings for quite some time.

P
P
Originally Posted by maurus

To me, and disregarding sound issues, this very much sounds like a latency problem, possible coupled to a key velocity curve adaptation problem. And it sounds familiar. I have never managed (so far, and short of buying a dedicated computer) to couple my VPC1 to a software sound with a latency that was short enough for nuanced playing with good tactile feedback and for avoiding a 'disconnected' feel. (Which is why my VPC is coupled to another instrument rather than a software.)

Thus, if as a classical pianist you go the software route, expect to (1) buy a powerful and suitable computer that really is up to the task, and (2) to fiddle around with the setup and its settings for quite some time.

In my experience (take Ravenscroft from VI Labs for example), I get latency if I run it as a standalone program... but if I use it as a VST inside of my DAW then the latency problem disappears!

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by PianoManChuck

In my experience (take Ravenscroft from VI Labs for example), I get latency if I run it as a standalone program... but if I use it as a VST inside of my DAW then the latency problem disappears!

That was a quirk peculiar to the UVI workstation where, as a standalone, it suffered high latency whereas within a host it behaved itself (only UVI would know why!). My guess is that UVI's developers have sorted this out by now but I haven't checked the latest revision.

The parallel here with sample players living inside hosts would be the Kontakt player (UVI's counterpart) which behaves impeccably as a standalone.

@maurus, you say you had latency problems when running software within a computer. Can you remember what the latency was set to?

<edit: pronoun deficiency>

Last edited by dire tonic; 12/19/14 01:47 PM.
B
B
Wow you guys are great! Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions.

A lot of companies market "grand feel" or "feels like a grand" actions but quite simply, it is just marketing.

My fear is that if you don't have the actual action of an acoustic piano with the hammers hitting electrical sensors instead of strings (why has no company done this yet?) then you will never get the "feel" of an acoustic piano from an electronic piano.

Physics and engineering. A mechanical system can be modelled by system of levers, pullies, weights, friction, etc. Once a proper model has been established and reduced it can be recreated to various levels. It all depends on the accuracy of the model and how well its recreated. That's where the engineering kicks in.

One thing going for the modelling is the variety of piano actions (between and within brands) out there. You just need to recreate a system that falls into the family of grand pianos and not necessarily exactly copy just one.

The yamaha clavinova clp990 was an interesting beast. If yamaha had pursued it instead of killing it and if competitors would have been more sophisticated at the time digital piano actions might be way ahead of where they are today.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Only from beginner player here, but I would say with a decent PC nowadays latency can be made to very acceptable levels on a dedicated PC, and I would imagine even for the most seasoned players. There also dedicated pro level PCI soundcards that will shorten latency even more but the cost of those can be as much as a PC itself, like the the Pro audio ones.

I any case, I've always build my own PC systems. What I can say is that in my case use a fairly standards USB 2 audio interface with a decent driver, but the CPU is very quick and heavily overclocked from the stock 3.5 MHz up to 4.5 MHz. I can actually compare the native piano sound coming out of the digital cabinet and the software piano coming out of the speakers and they seem to be simultaneous to me ... as far as I can tell. I can max everything out in Ivory i.e. no of voices, put my arms on the keys with the damper pedal down and press more keys I would ever do playing, and as rapid as I can and the system doesn't bat an eyelid, not a crackle or pop.

The processing latency in my case can be brought down to about < 1 msec wit Ivory 2, be it in Cubase or with the standalone cantabile, pianoteq does great too.

I couldn't tell you what the actual complete roundtrip latency is, but it will of course be more than 1 msec quite a bit. That said, the speed of sound is 340 m/sec, so even for sound to travel 1 meter, and with the bouncing around that already amounts to of the order of milliseconds even with acoustic setups. So technology is getting there, thanks to the speed of light laugh

Probably my dream setup in future would be something like the VPC1 with software for home at some point in the future ( If I don't find it too heavy action when I come to upgrade, anyway that will be years ahead.)

Just beginning to get that feeling that the samples build into the digital consoles and sound engine are secondary to me more and more, nice to have, but no match for the software.

For < 2000 pounds, a killer PC can be bought, + a VPC1. Even with that adding it all up it is not that much in the scheme of digitals. Even a Yamaha CLP 585 which presumably would be nothing special in terms of action and sound for a good pianist, and that is 3K !

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
G
G

This sounds either uneducated or arrogant. Not sure about the action on your grand, by my upright has an action that is a lot less enjoyable or precise than most actions that I have encountered in digital pianos >1000$.

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
@dire tonic and others: I've posted about my settings in other threads and don't want to repeat that here. In my experience a latency of 3ms or so, and anything above, is disconnecting the immediacy between the tactile feel of the keys and the perceived shaping of the sound. With my laptop (a MacBook Pro but definitely not the best there is) I could (so far) not bring it below that value without creating digital sound artefacts, dropouts etc. YMMV.

To play my little red one with the VPC, on the other hand, is a very satisfying experience (as I've said here before).

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
@dire tonic and others: I've posted about my settings in other threads and don't want to repeat that here.

It's a two or three digit number - quicker to repeat it than type "I've posted about my settings in other threads and don't want to repeat that here."

...but putting that to one side...

In my experience a latency of 3ms or so, and anything above, is disconnecting the immediacy between the tactile feel of the keys and the perceived shaping of the sound. With my laptop (a MacBook Pro but definitely not the best there is) I could (so far) not bring it below that value without creating digital sound artefacts, dropouts etc. YMMV.

To play my little red one with the VPC, on the other hand, is a very satisfying experience (as I've said here before).

I'm guessing your VPC1 is controlling your little red one via MIDI? So if you play a two-handed chord, say eight notes, you're apparently satisfied with a timing spread within that chord of anything up to 8 millisecs - quite bit more than that if you happen to be using partial pedalling through the playing of the chord. And that doesn't even take into account the response time of the Nord.

How do you reconcile that with a claimed intolerance of 3 millisecs?

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I have the totally opposite experience with Pianteq. I wonder as others have pointed out that you may have experienced latency issues.

• Schimmel Upright

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gretel
my upright has an action that is a lot less enjoyable or precise than most actions that I have encountered in digital pianos >1000$.

- yes, and I'd bet most who have experience of both would agree with that.

B
B
Originally Posted by Vid

I have the totally opposite experience with Pianteq. I wonder as others have pointed out that you may have experienced latency issues.

I guessed it may be that.

But I use a MacBook Pro (bought new in 2013). If that's not 'powerful' enough to cope with software piano without obvious latency, what is?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

But I use a MacBook Pro (bought new in 2013). If that's not 'powerful' enough to cope with software piano without obvious latency, what is?

If the MacBook Pro has user-adjustable settings for latency and you don't know how to set them, the results could quite easily be unacceptable.

Pianoteq is the one piano on which it was easiest to minimize the latency. (Too bad I don't like the sound!) frown

To get any other libraries to work I had to bump up to an external sound card. (ASIO4All helped reduce latency on my old laptop, but not enough.)
Originally Posted by Vid

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Bennevis, I really wonder whether the tolerance of different players concerning latency is indeed quite different. Some of us want to have the feeling of being able to shape the tone of polyphonic voices with the fingertips, others bang away chords.

dire tonic, I've had this discussion before. The midi delay of complex chords is equally unacceptable to me, and I can hear and discern it. But then I rarely play music consisting of homophonic, unbroken 8-note chords. I should add that I just have to go to another room to sit down at a grand for comparisons, and that of course I did a lot of A/B comparisons between VPC/Nord and VPC/MacBook Pro, with a number of different settings. I'm not saying no one can manage to get a pianistically satisfying setup this way but I am relating my experience that it is harder than I thought, and I've not succeeded so far. Again, YMMV.

B
B
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Pianoteq is the one piano on which it was easiest to minimize the latency. (Too bad I don't like the sound!) frown

I don't like the Pianoteq sound either, and have no inclination to try it out again.

Not even if someone here volunteered to fly out (by hot jet and helicopter) to my humble little abode and set my Mac up for me to minimize the latency........ wink

E
E
Originally Posted by anotherscott

OTOH, many digital actions feel heavier than my Yamaha grand, or one of my students' Bluthner. Seems to me like maybe you're just used to a heavier than average grand...?

Just from trying acoustics out in practice rooms they seem on average heavier to me than digitals. I have a Kawai MP10 with the RM3 action (which is supposed to be one of the heaviest digital actions) and it seems roughly the same weight as some and lighter than others (from my novice perspective). The Steinway O and M grands I tried seemed a bit heavier so did the Yamaha uprights I've used and so too the Avantgrands. The Bluthner grands and maybe some of the Yamaha grands I've tried seemed lighter. Overall the acoustics generally feel heavier to me. The Grand Feel in the MP11/CA65 and 95 always felt very light to me. Too much so if I've just come off of an acoustic.

Classical concert pianists use the AvantGrands for learning new pieces (and the drilling of notes 'into the fingers') and technical stuff that requires a lot of repetitive work, to spare the wear and tear on their acoustics' actions. They don't use them for developing tonal nuances and interpretation - their limited range of expression and dynamics would drive any classical pianist mad.

In your opinion, yes?

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
If you are looking for an acoustic piano replacement and you play classical music, and value the kind of (almost) unlimited tonal and dynamic range that acoustics provide, only the V-Piano & Grand will suffice. Nothing else comes remotely close, especially if you are pushing towards the extremes of expression.

- without the competence to set up a software piano you're not really in any position to draw comparisons between the V-piano and its mixed-format rivals yet you always have a lot to say about it.

Reading between the lines I'm beginning to wonder if the V-piano's sound is in any way hyped (apologies for that word, but I've discovered its use extensively when applied to monitors and it seems it might be fitting here too). By stretching the harmonic response to go outside what we would normally expect to hear from a typical acoustic instrument one could very well describe a dynamic range of sound as extreme. But it might also be odd or outlandish - even off-putting for someone who is after the 'real thing'.

I've asked you before to link to one of your recordings but you declined saying only that they were available for anyone to seek out. A cursory search turned up nothing. How about it? Something you feel demonstrates V-piano's extremities. A link?

B
B
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Classical concert pianists use the AvantGrands for learning new pieces (and the drilling of notes 'into the fingers') and technical stuff that requires a lot of repetitive work, to spare the wear and tear on their acoustics' actions. They don't use them for developing tonal nuances and interpretation - their limited range of expression and dynamics would drive any classical pianist mad.

In your opinion, yes?

No, not my opinion.

I've talked to a couple of fairly well-known concert pianists who have the AG, and there's a public blog by another, talking about the way he uses it.

S
S
Well I'm not a concert pianist, but I am a conservatory graduate and having to practice for hours on end on a non acoustic would drive me mad. Maybe the pianists you talked to shouldn't have bought Steinway D's if they fear wearing it out? Maybe 2 acoustic grands is a better option for them?

B
B
Originally Posted by dire tonic

I've asked you before to link to one of your recordings but you declined saying only that they were available for anyone to seek out. A cursory search turned up nothing. How about it? Something you feel demonstrates V-piano's extremities. A link?

I've never said that I have made any public recordings on my V-Piano (- only what I store in its internal memory, purely for myself).

I don't even know how to post anything on YouTube or on any other public media. But in any case, I have to remain anonymous, so I wouldn't do that anyway. (BTW, I'm not on Facebook or any social media either wink ).

I did mention that I have some recordings in a website that belongs to an organisation, but they were made on an acoustic piano, and were made by (and for) them as a promotional tool, and I had no say in how the recording was made, nor in what piano I played on (a Yamaha grand, as it happened). And yes, they're easily accessible to anyone........ grin. But my (real) name is attached to them, so I can't divulge anything here either.

The V-Piano has exactly the same sound engine as the V-Piano Grand (minus two of the latter's 30 piano sounds), and there are plenty of YouTube videos of the Grand played and recorded in concert halls, which show off the V's dynamic and tonal range reasonably well - I've posted the links to them before.

As for my opinion about software pianos, I stated exactly how limited my experience was in my post earlier. People can take from that what they will. BTW, I've never expressed any opinion on them prior to that experience (which was quite recent), other than that I can't be doing with the whole rigmarole of setting up my computer every time I wanted to play.

I don't know what your experience of acoustic grands are, but if you really think the V's sound is artificially stretched beyond "what we would normally expect to hear from a typical acoustic instrument" to a "dynamic range of sound as extreme", maybe you haven't been playing many concert grands.
Like this one, for instance:

http://youtu.be/izIMf9-pQGk

B
B
Originally Posted by sirwormsalot
Well I'm not a concert pianist, but I am a conservatory graduate and having to practice for hours on end on a non acoustic would drive me mad. Maybe the pianists you talked to shouldn't have bought Steinway D's if they fear wearing it out? Maybe 2 acoustic grands is a better option for them?

You misunderstand my post.

They use it purely for stuff like repetitive technical drills - repeating an isolated tricky passage ad nauseam etc, just to get them fluent and 'into the fingers'. With the volume turned down. The late, great concert pianist and scholar Charles Rosen advocated reading a book on the music rest while practising such drills...... grin (he never had a digital, as far as I know).

L
L

Reading between the lines I'm beginning to wonder if the V-piano's sound is in any way hyped (apologies for that word, but I've discovered its use extensively when applied to monitors and it seems it might be fitting here too). By stretching the harmonic response to go outside what we would normally expect to hear from a typical acoustic instrument one could very well describe a dynamic range of sound as extreme. But it might also be odd or outlandish - even off-putting for someone who is after the 'real thing'.

There's nothing hyped.

grin The V-piano has such dynamics and expression because it does'nt have the limitations of a sampled sound.

wink Once you sit down with a sampled digital piano alongside an accoustic and see the limitaions of pp-ffff on the sampled unit all your preconceptions will vanish.

Last edited by leafhound; 12/20/14 06:24 AM.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
if you really think the V's sound is artificially stretched beyond "what we would normally expect to hear from a typical acoustic instrument" to a "dynamic range of sound as extreme", maybe you haven't been playing many concert grands.

Thanks for posting that, great example. I guess I would say that Roland and the Fazioli *both* have a wider timbral dynamic range than the typical acoustic piano!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Wouldn't it be sensible to expect that an instrument described as a 'virtual piano' is quite capable of exceeding the 'normal' or perceived 'average' bounds of expression for acoustic pianos? In fact, I'd go further and suggest that a modelled - or otherwise synthesized - piano will, by its nature, go way beyond the normal AP limits in various respects (timbre, interaction between strings of resonance, velocity to amplitude curve etc).

The question cannot apply to the DP overall but only to individual patch settings - especially those considered default settings. And, since the V-Piano is infinitely programmable across various parameters, the idea of its being 'stretched' seems irrelevant: it is as 'stretched' as you want it to be.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
B
B
if you really think the V's sound is artificially stretched beyond "what we would normally expect to hear from a typical acoustic instrument" to a "dynamic range of sound as extreme", maybe you haven't been playing many concert grands.

Thanks for posting that, great example. I guess I would say that Roland and the Fazioli *both* have a wider timbral dynamic range than the typical acoustic piano!

Guess which is my favorite concert grand (after the hard-to-find Bösie Imperial 290, of course) to play on ? wink

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by toddy
The question cannot apply to the DP overall but only to individual patch settings - especially those considered default settings. And, since the V-Piano is infinitely programmable across various parameters, the idea of its being 'stretched' seems irrelevant: it is as 'stretched' as you want it to be.

The V-Piano sound is certainly far more customizable than most DP sounds... but I don't think there is a parameter to adjust the timbral dynamic range. The closest would appear to be "Sound Lift" about which they say:

This changes how the sound is produced when you play the keyboard softly.
You can adjust this to make the sound suitable for solo playing, or to prevent your sound from being buried by the other instruments of your band.
With higher settings, the sound will be relatively loud even when you play lightly, preventing your sound from being lost in the band.

which doesn't really address what we're talking about, since it affects level as well as timbre (and only from one end). Similarly, there are key touch settings, i.e. velocity curves, which you could adjust, but again, they will affect level as well as timbre. It would be nice if there were a way to adjust the timbral differences from ppp to fff without also adjusting level differences, but I don't think that there is. So in that sense, it seems to only emulate acoustic pianos that share that kind of wide timbral variation characteristic, which is wider than many (most?) actual acoustic pianos.

Last edited by anotherscott; 12/20/14 10:41 AM.
B
B

You're right - the V can be easily tweaked to sound very bland and conversely, really OTT. In fact, the default factory settings that it comes with are, to my mind, too bland, and needs tweaking to give it the right oomph.

I felt that most of the V-P Grands played in the concert halls in various YouTube videos could also have done with a little judicious tweaking too. Certainly, the one that was played at the Grand's launch in London in 2011 (which I attended, and also played on afterwards) would have benefitted from tweaking.

I'm talking of course of the several settings that are based on real acoustic pianos, as there are also others that are, er, 'futuristic' wink .

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
What Toddy said;

Plus, (just as a fun example) the notion that adding MORE aliquot effect in the pianoteq Bluthner than could exist in a physical Bluthner - - COULD be used for different musical (or novelty) effect.

Being able to (virtually) implement a 10 meter sound board ...another "opportunity" to escape from the limitations of wood, felt, metal, etc.
Not that a 10m virtual soundboard could be calibrated against a physical 10m soundboard, since the latter will not be built, the former is a different instrument with different opportunities.

B
B

The V-Piano sound is certainly far more customizable than most DP sounds... but I don't think there is a parameter to adjust the timbral dynamic range. The closest would appear to be "Sound Lift" about which they say:

This changes how the sound is produced when you play the keyboard softly.
You can adjust this to make the sound suitable for solo playing, or to prevent your sound from being buried by the other instruments of your band.
With higher settings, the sound will be relatively loud even when you play lightly, preventing your sound from being lost in the band.

which doesn't really address what we're talking about, since it affects level as well as timbre. Similarly, there are key touch settings, i.e. velocity curves, which you could adjust, but again, they will affect level as well as timbre. It would be nice if there were a way to adjust the timbral differences from ppp to fff without also adjusting level differences, but I don't think that there is. So in that sense, it seems to only emulate acoustic pianos that share that kind of wide timbral variation characteristic, which is wider than many (most?) actual acoustic pianos.

You have to use a combination of various parameters if you want the timbral change without volume change.

When you use more force, the volume gets louder and the sound becomes more brilliant. Using just the 'sound lift' pushes both up. But you can tweak the 'tone color' and the 'unison tune' as well, each of which also alters the tonal characteristics at various volume levels.

And of course, you can also tweak the actual frequency response curve for each and every note.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

I don't like the Pianoteq sound either, and have no inclination to try it out again.

Not even if someone here volunteered to fly out (by hot jet and helicopter) to my humble little abode and set my Mac up for me to minimize the latency........ wink

There is no voice called "Pianoteq sound" and Pianoteq does not have a sound of its own. It models and provides multiple versions of many real and virtual pianos. Are you saying that you have tried them all?

I am aware that you said that you would not try Pianoteq again but it would have been interesting to read your reason why it was not satisfactory for you?

Ian (Pianoteq Stage and Bluethner Model One user)

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by R_B
Not that a 10m virtual soundboard could be calibrated against a physical 10m soundboard, since the latter will not be built

I'd say it could still be accurately modeled, though, without there being a true physical representation for reference. The material characteristics are known, and the sonic characteristics can be extrapolated from what does exist in the real world. I agree, the idea of being able to get a sense of what some "impossible" instrument would sound like is intriguing and could have its own musical value.

You have to use a combination of various parameters if you want the timbral change without volume change.

I'd be looking for the other way around... maintain the volume change, but reduce the amount of timbral variation. I'd make the quietest notes a little brighter than they are (but no louder), and the hardest hit notes a little less bright than they are (but no quieter). What parameters would you adjust to create this effect?

Originally Posted by Beemer
There is no voice called "Pianoteq sound" and Pianoteq does not have a sound of its own

I need to spend more time with it myself. But from the samples I've heard (which weren't the newest version), the various different models still shared some sonic characteristic that seemed identifiably Pianoteq.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
[
I don't even know how to post anything on YouTube or on any other public media. But in any case, I have to remain anonymous, so I wouldn't do that anyway. (BTW, I'm not on Facebook or any social media either wink ).

But my (real) name is attached to them, so I can't divulge anything here either.

Come now, Bennevis, it's fair enough if you wish to remain anonymous - I don't think anyone will begrudge you that since most of here are anonymous too. But let's dispense with the cloak and dagger routine of how your identity must be kept secret. Who are you anyway - Batman?

I think it would be better to admit that you have no interest in being assessed on your playing. You aren't comfortable with us hearing it. That's fine, but acting as though you are Batman or James Bond is a bit rich. Besides, people post videos on Youtube all the time without their real name and without showing their face - so let's not get too melodramatic about this.

Some posters here do have a point - you talk passionately about the magical things the V-piano can do, about your personal modifications to the sounds to make them really come alive. But you only make your point with words - we never get to hear the results of all this talk. It is clear you don't want it to be evaluated, nor your playing. As I said, that's all fine, but you can't expect people to just swallow your V-piano superlatives without question - and saying you don't know how to post Youtube videos is a very lame excuse. You are able to post here, and post links. Posting YT videos takes a very small investment of your time to learn. Millions of total idiots do it every day. It's just an excuse because you don't want to do it.

I just think you should just come out and say you don't want to be judged - rather than all this dramatic stuff that "prevents" you from doing so.

B
B
Are you saying that you have tried them all?

I am aware that you said that you would not try Pianoteq again but it would have been interesting to read your reason why it was not satisfactory for you?

As I said, all I tried was the free Pianoteq sample. (I certainly wouldn't pay for anything of this sort).

What I heard wasn't much to my liking as a piano sound that I could live with. If I recall (my memory isn't too good these days, in my very advanced age.... wink ), it was treble-orientated and lacked 'body'. I used my Grado SR 325is headphones, which is what I use when playing my V. I also tried my other headphones, AKG K271 Mk II.

Before you ask, no, I didn't tweak it. I've no idea whether the free sample can be tweaked, but there was a time limit on using it, in any case.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
- bennevis, as ando says, there's nothing to stop you anonymously posting a sample of your playing the V-piano, even something short just to get across some of the characteristics of the V-piano you talk about. Of course, to hear you play would be the icing on the cake.

To date, all you've really offered is "most pianos only go to 10; the V-piano goes to 11".

If you need to be shepherded through the posting/recording process, whatever, you won't be short of volunteers!

B
B
Originally Posted by ando
[

But my (real) name is attached to them, so I can't divulge anything here either.

Come now, Bennevis, it's fair enough if you wish to remain anonymous - I don't think anyone will begrudge you that since most of here are anonymous too. But let's dispense with the cloak and dagger routine of how your identity must be kept secret. Who are you anyway - Batman?

I think it would be better to admit that you have no interest in being assessed on your playing. You aren't comfortable with us hearing it. That's fine, but acting as though you are Batman or James Bond is a bit rich. Besides, people post videos on Youtube all the time without their real name and without showing their face - so let's not get too melodramatic about this.

Some posters here do have a point - you talk passionately about the magical things the V-piano can do, about your personal modifications to the sounds to make them really come alive. But you only make your point with words - we never get to hear the results of all this talk. It is clear you don't want it to be evaluated, nor your playing. As I said, that's all fine, but you can't expect people to just swallow your V-piano superlatives without question - and saying you don't know how to post Youtube videos is a very lame excuse. You are able to post here, and post links. Posting YT videos takes a very small investment of your time to learn. Millions of total idiots do it every day. It's just an excuse because you don't want to do it.

I just think you should just come out and say you don't want to be judged - rather than all this dramatic stuff that "prevents" you from doing so.

You're right, I'm only pretending to be a pianist, and I'm really an automaton. Like Hal grin.

Heck, I don't even know what C major is, let alone a tone row.

OK for you? wink

Alternatively (here's my other program speaking) - I have no interest in posting recordings in any public forum (and no interest in learning to do computer stuff I'm not interested in), and I have reasons for keeping my anonymity, and actually, there are recordings of me playing, under my real name, somewhere in the ether......

BTW, have you noticed that when I post links to YouTube recordings, I laboriously copy down the 'share' http letters & numbers? That's because I don't know how to put/transfer the link on directly to here.

But why get so hot under the collar about my liking for the V?

I'm just another ignorant poster who claims to be able to tinkle the ivories (or plastics, as the case may be), and who knows what he wants and what he likes. If I want to promote myself as a pianist, I wouldn't choose to do so here, in the digital forum. But I don't make my living from playing the piano (I've never taken a penny from it, not even for 'expenses'), including when I accompanied an informal carol concert on a Bechstein grand a few days ago - I do these things for fun, and because I love classical music, and want to share my love of it with others.

Including the C major scale. Even the tone row thumb.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

As I said, all I tried was the free Pianoteq sample. (I certainly wouldn't pay for anything of this sort).

What I heard wasn't much to my liking as a piano sound that I could live with. If I recall (my memory isn't too good these days, in my very advanced age.... wink ), it was treble-orientated and lacked 'body'. I used my Grado SR 325is headphones, which is what I use when playing my V. I also tried my other headphones, AKG K271 Mk II.

Before you ask, no, I didn't tweak it. I've no idea whether the free sample can be tweaked, but there was a time limit on using it, in any case.

Okay thanks. When you have some free time I suggest that you listen to the examples here. Maybe I'm too easy to please but these Pianoteq version 5 performances give me pleasure and do not entice me away from Pianoteq.

https://www.pianoteq.com/listen_by_instrument

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
B
B
- bennevis, as ando says, there's nothing to stop you anonymously posting a sample of your playing the V-piano, even something short just to get across some of the characteristics of the V-piano you talk about. Of course, to hear you play would be the icing on the cake!

No, my playing would be equivalent to the blowtorch on the cake, and I don't recommend it, not even to my worst enemies..... cry

As you will know by now, I don't do moderation wink .

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

Not I am the biggest fan of pianoteq either due to its characteristic sound signature, regardless of the model it tries to emulate, to my neophyte piano ears pianoteq still sounds like pianoteq in many ways,( based on stage demo and no tweaking to tone editor, but I do like it for certain types of music.

That said, that characteristic ( I highlighted in bold face ) you describe is very much down to the grado I feel too. I briefly owned a set of SR80e, the frequency response curve is still very close to that of the 325 anyway, as you can see here

http://www.headphone.com/pages/build-a-graph

The bass response in the Grado prestige series is poor and the treble is emphasized. There are some studies floating around as well by inner fidelity that shows what happens when applying a low frequency sweep through these headphones and looking at their response agrees with that what I hear in the sr80e I had too.

I still thought the grado actually made painoteq very sweet and nice sounding as long as applied some EQ compared to my other phones. Note that the AKG also has this same characteristic in the bass. The Grado I found very good in the mids and treble, even if a bit fatigue prone and harsh for me after longer periods, again since they are not very flat with that peak in the treble range not helping. I found I really had to play with EQ to get more out of them.

For music listening the grado really shone in certain cases I thought, but not as an all-rounder which why I let them go in the end, even if a bit hesitantly as there were some things I really liked about them, good spacious sound stage too.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 12/20/14 12:58 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Heck, I don't even know what C major is, let alone a tone row.

Nobody said you can't play piano - just that you don't want to be subjected to judgement.

Alternatively (here's my other program speaking) - I have no interest in posting recordings in any public forum (and no interest in learning to do computer stuff I'm not interested in), and I have reasons for keeping my anonymity, and actually, there are recordings of me playing, under my real name, somewhere in the ether......

You're very interested in talking ad nauseam about how great the V-piano is - why not just show us? By your own estimation, even if we went to a store to play one, we will be confronted with poorly designed presets that will underwhelm us. Heck, even a C major scale would be ok.

BTW, have you noticed that when I post links to YouTube recordings, I laboriously copy down the 'share' http letters & numbers? That's because I don't know how to put/transfer the link on directly to here.

Yes, you are famous for your luddite tendencies - and you were so proud of not having owned your own computer until recently. But that's not to say you can't pick up new skills - even at your "very advanced" age.

But it's actually you who gets hot under the collar defending the V. You never let a comment about the V go unaddressed. Hence the desire from many posters to see you prove what you say constantly - and it's not because we want it to be wrong. I think we would all enjoy hearing a great piano sound from the V. We want to hear the V piano specifically - we don't even care what you play. Sadly your manifold issues mean we will never hear you show us. That's a shame.

I'm just another ignorant poster who claims to be able to tinkle the ivories (or plastics, as the case may be), and who knows what he wants and what he likes. If I want to promote myself as a pianist, I wouldn't choose to do so here, in the digital forum. But I don't make my living from playing the piano (I've never taken a penny from it, not even for 'expenses'), including when I accompanied an informal carol concert on a Bechstein grand a few days ago - I do these things for fun, and because I love classical music, and want to share my love of it with others.

You are showing more than you know with these words. Again - nobody has actually tried to say that you can't play - only that you don't want to. I'm not expecting you to change your mind, but don't be surprised that people keep asking to hear what you so fervently describe on a regular basis.

B
B

You're very interested in talking ad nauseam about how great the V-piano is - why not just show us? By your own estimation, even if we went to a store to play one, we will be confronted with poorly designed presets that will underwhelm us. Heck, even a C major scale would be ok.

But it's actually you who gets hot under the collar defending the V. You never let a comment about the V go unaddressed. Hence the desire from many posters to see you prove what you say constantly - and it's not because we want it to be wrong. I think we would all enjoy hearing a great piano sound from the V. We want to hear the V piano specifically - we don't even care what you play. Sadly your manifold issues mean we will never hear you show us. That's a shame.

I'm not expecting you to change your mind, but don't be surprised that people keep asking to hear what you so fervently describe on a regular basis.

Actually, I didn't start out defending the V in this thread. Well, not directly, anyway grin. (You must forgive my propensity to beat about the bush - I'm still getting accustomed to the British way, and need to get in the practice whenever I can..... wink ).

Pace Felix, I believe that words are more definite than music. Or individual piano sounds in a recording.........

My 'patches'/customizations for the V are out there for anyone to try out in their local Roland dealer. Other people have posted recordings here, made on their V, using their own settings. So, I don't see any need to add to all that - especially as I'll have to not only learn how to do it (equivalent to learning the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem for a brain so lacking in grey cells as mine), but also take steps to ensure that I can't be traced as the source of such incriminating sounds......

Don't forget, I'm Batman's nemesis in Gotham (coming to a cinema near you).

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

I didn't start out defending the V in this thread. Well, not directly, anyway grin. (You must forgive my propensity to beat about the bush - I'm still getting accustomed to the British way, and need to get in the practice whenever I can..... wink ).

It's more of a general thing in your posting. You are a champion of the V-piano. We just wish we could hear what you are so excited about.

My 'patches'/customizations for the V are out there for anyone to try out in their local Roland dealer. Other people have posted recordings here, made on their V, using their own settings. So, I don't see any need to add to all that - especially as I'll have to not only learn how to do it (equivalent to learning the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem for a brain so lacking in grey cells as mine), but also take steps to ensure that I can't be traced as the source of such incriminating sounds......

Unfortunately, the V-piano is very hard to come by in many markets around the world. In Melbourne, Australia I'm not sure anybody has one set up in a store anymore. The company that used to has gone broke. All I can go on is internet chat and Youtube. I think that may be the same for a lot of people.

Don't forget, I'm Batman's nemesis in Gotham (coming to a cinema near you).

I'm starting to believe you!

B
B

It's more of a general thing in your posting. You are a champion of the V-piano. We just wish we could hear what you are so excited about.

I've alluded to it often - it's more the playing experience that drew me to the V, and kept me there, and is still keeping me there, rather than its actual sounds. If I'm totally frank, I sometimes wish that the V could have the actual sound of the Imperial 290, the F278/308, the E-272, the D-282, the Model 1, the CFX, the SK-EX, even the D-274 (I'm not greedy, I don't need any more wink ) in its factory presets, and do away with all those parameters for customizations.

Other DPs have nice inherent sound samples (disregarding their looping and stretching etc.). But when you play them and start pushing hard, you hit a brick wall, and the artefacts of sampling get really noticeable and increasingly annoying. Because you (or I, at any rate) keep getting reminded that there's a limit to what you can do. OK, maybe Yamaha etc doesn't think that people want an ugly sound out of their piano. But what if the composer writes ffff and clearly wants a strident, even painfully aggressive sound? (Did Prokofiev want a mellifluous sound when he requested col pugno?) You get that from the V, but not from other DPs.

This can't be replicated on a recording - you have to play it for yourself. If I play a tone cluster ffff on the V, and put the recording here to show what I mean, would that really impress listeners? It would just sound like noise.

In the end, the reason I play the piano is for the music, and I want my instrument to respond to my playing like a good acoustic. No matter how badly I play. Heck, even no matter how well I play...... wink

As the great Herbie would say, "All else is gaslight".

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Considering how much you are looking at for a really good action in a DP, I'd rather go for a silent system in your grand, so you won't even have to get used to another key action.

If you really want to spend more money and space in a DP, then I really love the Kawai Grand Feel action (MP11, CA65, CA95, CS7 and CS10 I believe). But again, if you are only going to use headphones, no reason to buy CA95 or CS10 as they should be played without headphones to truly enjoy them. Then it would just be a case of how much you want to spend, portable or console. I think you could spend even far more money for the higher Yamahas and still prefer this GF action, it's really worth trying.

But really, if you are happy with your grand, at your level, any DP is going to feel one -or several- steps back. Think about the silent system as it might be the best option for you.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
C
C
May not have the best action but the nord piano has some of the best sounding piano samples I heard! and its all configurable. action is decent but nothing like a Yamaha cp4.

D
D
But I still get performance anxiety if I play for a knowledgeable audience. So, I don't, and only perform for non-musicians who think my wrong notes are deliberate. smile

I don't do 'unregulated breathing' - not even in the midst of suffering from performing anxiety. I just go to pieces - my hands tremble, the fingers get sweaty and slip on the keys, I lose control and play wrong notes.......but I'm still breathing fine. No hyperventilation. I'm not having a panic attack. Twelve breaths per minute, regular. Do you understand my dilemma? My life is not in danger, but my brain thinks that what I'm doing is so threatening to my psyche that my fright, fight or flight response goes into overdrive.

And as I said earlier, I don't ever get anxious or stressed in any other situation. Not even jumping out of a plane at 14000ft, or hanging off a rope over a 4000ft abyss.

Only when I have to play the piano in front of people who know the music well.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2322872/1.html

I guess the same thing happens when you hit the record button, Bennevis? Have you tried beta blockers ... wink

B
B
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused

I guess the same thing happens when you hit the record button, Bennevis? Have you tried beta blockers ... wink

No, I don't have any problem playing for inanimate objects, like record buttons. I've already played for a red light more than once wink .

I haven't tried playing for my pet gerbil.....oops, I don't have a pet either cry .

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
PV-88 made several recordings on his V-Piano that demonstrate its sound and dynamics:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2353357/Re:_V_Piano_Successor_anytime_.html#Post2353357

I don't know why I can't get this link to be "live", so you will have to paste it. I tried several approaches that work on other forums to no avail. Obviously, others here are doing it successfully all the time. Oh well.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Yamaha P-515
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

jtsn - How did you do it? I don't see anything different such as [link] ... [/link] or any of that sort of approach.

Thanks...

Tony

Roland V-Grand
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TonyB
How did you do it?

I removed the part with the colon. Seems to be a flaw of the board software: Generating deep links with a colon in it, but not accepting those inside posts.

Yamaha P-515
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
jtsn - Thanks!

Thanks for putting up the live link. Now those who are interested in hearing the V-Piano can.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes - it's interesting to hear these V-Piano examples. As usual with the Roland V, you get to hear a quite characteristic quality which could be described (of course, crudely) with words like this:

Detailed and expressive
Vibrant
Stringy
Jangling
Ringing
Up front
(and I have to admit,)
Artificial.

These are not meant as negative criticisms at all - just (off the cuff) resonses to the sound of what is undoubtedly still one of the most fascinating electronic instruments available.

Bennevis, it would be fascinating to hear your playing on the V-Piano, because your verbal clues swing between hints at rubbing shoulders with some of the finest classical pianists around, and having access to the best concert grand pianos - and tons of experince with various composers in the classical piano cannon, on the one hand to humble ham fisted efforts on the other. You may not have stated those things in exactly those words, but it's the kind of impression I've gained over the years of reading your posts.

Then the fact that you state that your identity must remain hidden obviously piques people's curiosity. Are you perhaps the queen mother's former personal pianist? A musical Anthony Blunt who is bound under the official secrets act? I think it must be something of that sort.

EDIT: Wait a minute: you're a cabinet minister. Or Bruce Forsyth, perhaps?

Last edited by toddy; 12/21/14 09:56 AM.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

B
B

Bennevis, it would be fascinating to hear your playing on the V-Piano, because your verbal clues swing between hints at rubbing shoulders with some of the finest classical pianists around, and having access to the best concert grand pianos - and tons of experince with various composers in the classical piano cannon, on the one hand to humble ham fisted efforts on the other. You may not have stated those things in exactly those words, but it's the kind of impression I've gained over the years of reading your posts.

Then the fact that you state that your identity must remain hidden obviously piques people's curiosity. Are you perhaps the queen mother's former personal pianist or something of that sort, and you labour under the official secrets act? I think it must be something of that sort.

EDIT: Wait a minute: you're a cabinet minister. Or Bruce Forsyth, perhaps?

Nice to see you, to see you.......?? wink

I'm as intrigued as you are as to why (some) people here are so fascinated by me, seeing as most of my posts are actually in Pianist Corner, and about classical music, not DPs, and I'm named after a Scottish mountain (luckily, still part of the UK - for now.....), and I have no personal profile. And the world of electronic geekery, which is such a major part of the DP world, is total gobbledegook to me.

Is it because my posts are somewhat........provocative? grin

Yes, I'm bound by a self-imposed gagging order (Article 3 No.2, also known as Prelude in C# minor) which cannot be lifted until 50 years after my demise.

After which, all my secret V-Piano recordings stored in a secret file in my V will be released into the public domain. They range from Ah! vous dirai-je, maman to 4'33", so are definitely worth waiting for, as they demonstrate my stupendous technique and musicianship, as well as the V's (almost) equally stupendous range of tone, dynamics, articulation and power.

Maybe Her Majesty is the only person in the world who is able to lift this gagging order......... cry

L
L
Yes - it's interesting to hear these V-Piano examples. As usual with the Roland V, you get to hear a quite characteristic quality which could be described (of course, crudely) with words like this:

Detailed and expressive
Vibrant
Stringy
Jangling
Ringing
Up front
(and I have to admit,)
Artificial.

These are not meant as negative criticisms at all - just (off the cuff) resonses to the sound of what is undoubtedly still one of the most fascinating electronic instruments available.

What PV-88 posted are just some presets, the v-piano allows vast customisability.

Last edited by leafhound; 12/21/14 10:11 AM.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by leafhound

Detailed and expressive
Vibrant
Stringy
Jangling
Ringing
Up front
(and I have to admit,)
Artificial.

What PV-88 posted are just some presets, the v-piano allows vast customisability.

...and some real fine playing! smile

Tony

Roland V-Grand
P
P
But I still get performance anxiety if I play for a knowledgeable audience. So, I don't, and only perform for non-musicians who think my wrong notes are deliberate. smile

I don't do 'unregulated breathing' - not even in the midst of suffering from performing anxiety. I just go to pieces - my hands tremble, the fingers get sweaty and slip on the keys, I lose control and play wrong notes.......but I'm still breathing fine. No hyperventilation. I'm not having a panic attack. Twelve breaths per minute, regular. Do you understand my dilemma? My life is not in danger, but my brain thinks that what I'm doing is so threatening to my psyche that my fright, fight or flight response goes into overdrive.

And as I said earlier, I don't ever get anxious or stressed in any other situation. Not even jumping out of a plane at 14000ft, or hanging off a rope over a 4000ft abyss.

Sounds more like you're afraid of being judged! I've heard that many people are more afraid of public speaking than they are of dying! Again, I think its related to being judged.
Once you get comfortable playing in front of someone, add a 2nd person and try, then add another. Remember that your audience (no matter how small or big) actually enjoys hearing you play! I keep my public playing skills up to date by playing weekly as a pianist in a hospital lobby, and I'd highly recommend that you try that - most of the patients and visitors (if any at all) aren't pianists but will enjoy what you're doing. That should get your confidence up. Remember, you're not a robot who can mechanically reproduce a performance exactly the same each and every time - you're human, and mistakes are expected. Even Paul McCartney eventually learned to laugh at any mistakes he made.

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

Sounds more like you're afraid of being judged! I've heard that many people are more afraid of public speaking than they are of dying! Again, I think its related to being judged.
Once you get comfortable playing in front of someone, add a 2nd person and try, then add another. Remember that your audience (no matter how small or big) actually enjoys hearing you play! I keep my public playing skills up to date by playing weekly as a pianist in a hospital lobby, and I'd highly recommend that you try that - most of the patients and visitors (if any at all) aren't pianists but will enjoy what you're doing. That should get your confidence up. Remember, you're not a robot who can mechanically reproduce a performance exactly the same each and every time - you're human, and mistakes are expected. Even Paul McCartney eventually learned to laugh at any mistakes he made.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2039345/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
B
B

Once you get comfortable playing in front of someone, add a 2nd person and try, then add another.

I'm only afraid of being judged the same way as I judge other pianists when I listen to them, from my perspective as someone who knows a little about classical music, and can even tinkle the ivories a little..... grin

I've long ago lost the fear of playing in front of general audiences (as opposed to classical musicians who know the music well), and have played in stately homes, museums, churches, town halls, shopping malls, hotel lobbies, pubs & bars, even busy train stations.

Last week, I played for an audience of about fifty - and though I was mainly accompanying Christmas carols, I was sight-reading from three volumes of Carols for Choirs, and having to, er, modify on the spot, as I was playing the organ part on an ordinary grand piano (which has no pedal keyboard, unlike the Borgato pedal piano). And I also had to improvise an accompaniment to a somewhat risqué sketch based very roughly on The Twelve Days of Christmas (don't ask....) put on by five people - without any rehearsal.

And I didn't care whether the audience knew that I was vamping the whole lot..... thumb

P
P

I saw that movie!

www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck on Youtube
P
P

I'm only afraid of being judged the same way as I judge other pianists when I listen to them, from my perspective as someone who knows a little about classical music, and can even tinkle the ivories a little..... grin

I've long ago lost the fear of playing in front of general audiences (as opposed to classical musicians who know the music well), and have played in stately homes, museums, churches, town halls, shopping malls, hotel lobbies, pubs & bars, even busy train stations.

Last week, I played for an audience of about fifty - and though I was mainly accompanying Christmas carols, I was sight-reading from three volumes of Carols for Choirs, and having to, er, modify on the spot, as I was playing the organ part on an ordinary grand piano (which has no pedal keyboard, unlike the Borgato pedal piano). And I also had to improvise an accompaniment to a somewhat risqué sketch based very roughly on The Twelve Days of Christmas (don't ask....) put on by five people - without any rehearsal.

And I didn't care whether the audience knew that I was vamping the whole lot.....

Ahhh, now I understand! I was in a similar situation about a year ago when I was invited to a party at a pianists home (along with several other pianists). All of the pianists were expected to step up to the plate and play a piece for everyone else at the party. While some of the pianists were playing, I couldn't help but overhear some of the other sitting pianists quietly whispering a critique to other pianists. I simply played a couple of my original pieces - no one can critique something if you wrote the piece you're playing. In fact, by playing your own piece, it sort of separates you into a different level than the rest of the pianists (not necessarily better, just different). So if you have anything original, its an excellent way of sort of raising the bar for the rest of the pianists in the room smile

Last edited by PianoManChuck; 12/21/14 05:08 PM.

www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck on Youtube
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
So if you have anything original, its an excellent way of sort of raising the bar for the rest of the pianists in the room smile

Rather than raising the bar, I'd say it kind of makes the bar invisible. ;-)

P
P
So if you have anything original, its an excellent way of sort of raising the bar for the rest of the pianists in the room smile

Same effect - no worries about being "judged" smile

www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck on Youtube
M
M

Good point. I know it's hard not to critique, because that is how we learn to a certain extent. But I do try to be gracious to people who are performing and just enjoy their efforts. All too much we are taught (especially in classical circles) to be critical. I just want to be moved.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Good point. I know it's hard not to critique, because that is how we learn to a certain extent. But I do try to be gracious to people who are performing and just enjoy their efforts. All too much we are taught (especially in classical circles) to be critical. I just want to be moved.

Classical pianists, unlike jazzers, can't get away from being judged by playing their own music either.

I remember a young, rather well-known pianist playing one of his own compositions as his final encore in a concert. The post-concert buzz among the audience was how inappropriate it was to play an inferior and vapid composition of his own, following the masterworks by the great composers that had made up his main program, and the Chopin etude that was his first encore. (Some people thought he'd improvised it, which was even worse, in their minds).

The solution, if you're of a sensitive disposition (like me wink ), is to choose your audience carefully. After all, why put yourself up for criticism (even if not overt) if you're an amateur, like myself? By playing only for non-classical audiences, I can give of my best and enjoy myself, pumped up by the excitement of giving a performance but not get afflicted with nerves.

P
P
You're right. I remember being criticized for playing my rendition of Fur Elise, hearing things from a certain classical pianist along the lines of laughter because of something I did. My response was - why would I want to robotically reproduce a song that's been played so many times, the exact same way, by so many people who strive to try and sound just the way they feel their classical teachers want them to have it sound? Thanks, but no thanks, I prefer to inject some of my own feeling into it rather than be "just like everyone else". Never heard a peep out of that woman again... if anything, I'm sure she started questioning her own values as far as performing.

www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck on Youtube
M
M

The solution, if you're of a sensitive disposition (like me wink ), is to choose your audience carefully. After all, why put yourself up for criticism (even if not overt) if you're an amateur, like myself? By playing only for non-classical audiences, I can give of my best and enjoy myself, pumped up by the excitement of giving a performance but not get afflicted with nerves.

Exactly! Who wants to play for people who won't/can't appreciate what you have to offer?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Detailed and expressive
Vibrant
Stringy
Jangling
Ringing
Up front
(and I have to admit,)
Artificial.

These are not meant as negative criticisms at all
- just (off the cuff) resonses to the sound of what is undoubtedly still one of the most fascinating electronic instruments available.

as ever, a generous post by you, toddy, but for me, "artificial" trumps any and all adjectives, the ultimate thumbs-down.

And if the OP is still weighing up his alternatives, he should give serious consideration to something like this - both expressive AND convincing (search the page for Shaun Choo if it doesn't automatically jump there).

B
B

Detailed and expressive
Vibrant
Stringy
Jangling
Ringing
Up front
(and I have to admit,)
Artificial.

- just (off the cuff) resonses to the sound of what is undoubtedly still one of the most fascinating electronic instruments available.

as ever, a generous post by you, Toddy, but for me, "artificial" trumps any and all adjectives, the ultimate thumbs-down.

I'm aware that very few people here have actually played the V in the flesh (and using their own headphones), and I don't want to turn this into yet another virulent for/against V-Piano thread, but I should point out that the V-Piano has fourteen settings which are based on real acoustics, and another fourteen which are 'futuristic' and don't exist in nature - i.e. they are not meant to sound like real pianos.

pv88's recordings are all based on the latter, I believe: 'All Silver' etc (i.e. silver strings) - look at his original posts. I don't like that sound, and don't use them, because they sound artificial. Well, they're meant to be artificial. The ones I use are all based on 'V1 Concert' which gives a natural concert hall sound.

Very similar to this:
http://youtu.be/w0-dC7eT_Oo (but tweaked to provide more brilliance in the uppers - more Fazioli-like).

The V only provides piano sounds - but half of its 28 sounds are not meant to simulate that of any acoustic.

B
B
And if the OP is still weighing up his alternatives, he should give serious consideration to something like this - both expressive AND convincing (search the page for Shaun Choo if it doesn't automatically jump there).

Interestingly, I've just made a direct comparison with my V - my "Steinway" setting sounds almost identical to the Ravencroft......

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
You've linked to that performance before. I'm impressed with both the performance and the quality of the recording but while I think the V-piano sounds very good here, to my ears its unexceptional as a simulation. From ~3:20, for example, the lower middle RH, particularly where we hear single-notes, is a give away.

But I do acknowledge it is very good, though by no means a winner when compared to many of today's sample libraries which together with a decent controller represent unbeatable value, IMO.

I spent a good half of my working life with synthesisers. I'm much less interested in non-piano simulations.

B
B
From ~3:20, for example, the lower middle RH, particularly where we hear single-notes, is a give away.

I've played quite a few acoustic pianos whose mid range sound exactly like that (BTW, I'm listening via the same Grado headphones I use for playing my V) - but again, on direct comparison, the setting I use on my own V doesn't sound quite like that - it has rather more resonance and overtones.

The V is almost infinitely tweakable, and you really should bring your own (hopefully high-end) headphones to the store and try it out for yourself, not rely on people's recordings. I did that when I was out looking for a DP to buy four years ago, and though I spent close on 3 hours at the store, spread over two visits, just on the V (the dealer could see that I was a serious customer....), I still didn't quite get the hang of tweaking the sound the way I wanted it. But I heard enough to know that the V was the only DP that gave me the response and playability that I wanted.

It took about a week after my V arrived before I finally got the customizations I wanted - and which I'm still using right now.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The V is almost infinitely tweakable,

ALL software libraries, both sampled and modelled are 'infinitely' tweakable and hype-able via the signal processors (filters, envelopes, EQs, compressors, gates, reverbs, stereo imagers etc.etc) which reside either inside the application (e.g. Galaxy) or the sample player (e.g. Kontakt) or with the sample player inside the host DAW (e.g. Cubase). Potentially, three completely independent realms of tweaking make this a tweaker's paradise. Anyone so determined could rig up a bank of processors to produce a sound so intense it could make your ears bleed.

and you really should bring your own (hopefully high-end) headphones to the store and try it out for yourself, not rely on people's recordings.

- and you should make a similar effort to appraise the competition on similar ground. Until you do so you can surely see why neither one of us is in a position to talk about a particular product's pre-eminence?

B
B

- and you should make a similar effort to appraise the competition on similar ground. Until you do so you can surely see why neither one of us is in a position to talk about a particular product's pre-eminence?

I've already made it clear why I can't be doing with piano software - I'm not a techno geek and I don't want to have to connect and set my laptop up every time I want to play my digital.

If I remember correctly, it took me about half an hour just to work out how to get the Pianoteq thing up and running. I'm sure techno geeks enjoy this sort of stuff (and can probably get the whole thing running in about half a second), but not me.

The sound itself is inoffensive, even if not particularly to my liking (the Pianoteq free sample, that is), but that isn't the reason why I'll never use software pianos. Switching my DP on and waiting about 30 seconds for it to start is about as much as I can tolerate, when I want to play.

(BTW, I've not tweaked my V since 2010).

Whereas your opposition to the V is based purely and simply on the sounds you've heard so far.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I've already made it clear why I can't be doing with piano software

- and I made it clear in my last post why that disqualifies you from usefully comparing the V with, for example, Galaxy, Ivory II, Ravenscroft etc. when used with a modern controller.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Detailed and expressive
Vibrant
Stringy
Jangling
Ringing
Up front
(and I have to admit,)
Artificial.

- just (off the cuff) responses to the sound of what is undoubtedly still one of the most fascinating electronic instruments available.

as ever, a generous post by you, toddy, but for me, "artificial" trumps any and all adjectives, the ultimate thumbs-down.

dire tonic, you certainly pinpointed the ambivalence in my mind about the Roland V-Pianos, and for me to say that the description 'artificial' is not meant as a criticism would appear to be stretching credulity. But the point about the V-Piano, rather than sample based instruments is that they do not necessarily have to attempt to copy the original in all its details and foibles. It can take the real characteristics and go beyond them, in theory. And eventually in practice, too.

An example of this would be the 1980's Fender Rhodes imitations that started to appear, especially with Yamaha's FM synthesizers - DX7 and so on. These e-piano sounds went beyond the Rhodes in terms of the super clear sweet sound they produced. It was like a Fender Rhodes that had been fed on genetically modified fertilizers. And I must say, I grew to heartily dislike that sound which is still a staple on most synths, keyboards and many DPs even today.

It took the characteristics of the e-piano and exaggerated them, leaving out the grit, of course. At the time, we all went 'WOW' and obviously, it's still popular now - you can hardly avoid it in shopping malls or as the backdrop to evangelical testimonies across the Bible Belt and beyond. I suppose many people assume it's an original in its own right, and perhaps it is.

Last edited by toddy; 12/22/14 10:50 AM.

B
B

- and I made it clear in my last post why that disqualifies you from usefully comparing the V with, for example, Galaxy, Ivory II, Ravenscroft etc. when used with a modern controller.

If you read my posts carefully, I didn't actually compare software stuff with my V. Usefully or otherwise.

All I said was why I wouldn't use it. The hassle involved, and the 'disconnection' problem due to latency (?) - which no one has yet given a fool-proof way to solve.

It may not bother you, but it does bother me - I give a piano recital once a month on a real piano, among other reasons....

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

dire tonic, you certainly pinpointed the ambivalence in my mind about the Roland V-Pianos, and for me to say that the description 'artificial' is not meant as a criticism would appear to be stretching credulity. But the point about the V-Piano, rather than sample based instruments is that they do not necessarily have to attempt to copy the original in all its details and foibles. It can take the real characteristics and go beyond them, in theory. And eventually in practice, too.

An example of this would be the 1980's Fender Rhodes imitations that started to appear, especially with Yamaha's FM synthesizers - DX7 and so on. These e-piano sounds went beyond the Rhodes in terms of the super clear sweet sound they produced. It was like a Fender Rhodes that had been fed on genetically modified fertilizers. And I must say, I grew to heartily dislike that sound which is still a staple on most synths, keyboards and many DPs even today.

It took the characteristics of the e-piano and exaggerated them, leaving out the grit, of course. At the time, we all went 'WOW' and obviously, it's still popular now - you can hardly avoid it in shopping malls or as the backdrop to evangelical testimonies across the Bible Belt and beyond. I suppose many people assume it's an original in its own right, and perhaps it is.

Those FM Rhodes sounds were the pits. Novel when first heard but once in the higher velocity register the sound became thin, squeezed, ersatz at its worst. But some might have described it as expressive because it dramatically extended the frequency response well beyond what the genuine Rhodes could produce.

Impossible to avoid on all those R&B ballads of the time and, yes, the mall sound, definitely...Yuck.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

If you read my posts carefully,

I read this:-

If you just want a keyboard to bang on at night, and want a heavy action, any of the alternatives others have suggested will do.

Would that include those possibilities you've no experience of?

B
B

Yes/no.

But I have experience of everything. Save the kind of stuff that classical pianists who normally play acoustics wouldn't be spending time on, like working out how to minimize latency, how to manipulate software sounds etc.

Remember - I was talking about an acoustic piano replacement for a classical pianist in the first paragraph.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Yes/no.

But I have experience of everything. Save the kind of stuff that classical pianists who normally play acoustics wouldn't be spending time on, like working out how to minimize latency, how to manipulate software sounds etc.

Remember - I was talking about an acoustic piano replacement for a classical pianist in the first paragraph.

Better that you speak for yourself, bennevis. Just because you're a technophobe there's no reason to suppose others are similarly disposed. And even if fearful, a wise phobic should be tempted to bite the bullet since the setting-up routine is surprisingly easy.

Also there's the delight of having your piano sound up and running in under 2 seconds....

L
L
V-Piano, its "sound response and connection" is that it is the only digital that behaves as close to an acoustic as possible when controlling the subtle dynamic levels in the playing from "pp" to "ffff" whereas all other sampled digitals have a set range in fortissimo playing where a ceiling is reached and one can play no louder due to the samples. This is not the case with V-Piano

B
B

Also there's the delight of having your piano sound up and running in under 2 seconds....

Do you have a (spare/second/third) computer permanently switched on and plugged into your DP?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Do you have a (spare/second/third) computer permanently switched on and plugged into your DP?

Yes, a second laptop. You said you use a mac. These days, an off-the-peg i7, 15.6" PC is around £500, so a complete set-up, VPC1/laptop/virtual instrument will come in at little more than £1700 (without monitoring).

B
B

Yes, a second laptop. You said you use a mac. These days, an off-the-peg i7, 15.6" PC is around £500, so a complete set-up, VPC1/laptop/virtual instrument will come in at little more than £1700 (without monitoring).

We're definitely living in different worlds....... grin

I bought a home computer (after sending off for the free Which? guide to laptops in 2012) only because work-related issues meant I had to have one at home.

But buying another £500 computer just for a digital?? crazy (and obviously having to buy software stuff, sight unseen, sound unheard & untested.......)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not sure why the start up time is still an issue....

Sit there and play scales and triads to warm up. When the piano is ready, make beautiful music.

Jay

Industry Consultant
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
We're definitely living in different worlds....... grin

I bought a home computer (after sending off for the free Which? guide to laptops in 2012) only because work-related issues meant I had to have one at home.

But buying another £500 computer just for a digital?? crazy (and obviously having to buy software stuff, sight unseen, sound unheard & untested.......)

For someone coming into this from scratch it can make sense. The laptop is an open-ended device leading to all sorts of creative possibilities. That package price compares favourably with the cost of the MP11 alone but the component system will have a superior piano sound and a means of using any number of sample libraries to mess around with, not to mention being able to view IMSLP's free music on tap and playback of media clips when looking for ideas/listening to other performers in mid-practice.

True, it's a pity we don't get a chance to audition these libraries but that's pretty much the case across the board. Besides, there's a broad consensus about which libraries please - no one's going to be unpleasantly surprised.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
buying another £500 computer just for a digital?? crazy (and obviously having to buy software stuff, sight unseen, sound unheard & untested.......)

The cost of a high quality action plus a £500 computer is still a lot cheaper than a V-Piano. If you like the high end Roland actions, I think the FP-80 (and earlier FP-7F) feel much like the V-Piano, and would save someone enough money to buy the computer, numerous software piano packages, and have money left over. And since the computer is dedicated, you can leave it powered up and in place (in sleep mode) and always be ready to play in seconds. I think the special appeal of the V is in the way you can customize its modeled sound, in ways beyond what can be done with sampled pianos. Pianoteq is technologically similar, but different in its sound, and I can see where some people may prefer one or the other.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
And since the computer is dedicated, you can leave it powered up and in place (in sleep mode) and always be ready to play in seconds.

Unfortunately, in my case at least, it doesn't quite work that smoothly. I have to turn off my USB audio interface (otherwise Windows will crash when I resume it from hibernate or suspend), and then in the DAW, "reconnect" to the audio interface. I also have a similar problem with the USB MIDI connection, even though the keyboard is connected to the computer directly with a USB cable. I suspect it would work like you say (even on Windows!) if I were to use an internal audio and MIDI interface. (with the MIDI being standard MIDI - not USB). I'm not saying that all USB interfaces necessarily behave as badly as mine though.

Greg.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Okay, I guess if you want it to work more simply, it might be worth budgeting more for the computer and getting a Mac...

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Chortle.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
I'm not saying that all USB interfaces necessarily behave as badly as mine though.

If the driver crashes during suspend I would demand a update/bugfix from the vendor of your USB interface. Otherwise I would return and replace it with a different one.

Yamaha P-515
M
M
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
Not sure why the start up time is still an issue....

Sit there and play scales and triads to warm up. When the piano is ready, make beautiful music.

Jay

LOL...first world problems! I agree. For Two minutes I can go grab a glass of water and pet my kitties. Of course, I never shut my computer off.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
My V-Grand takes around 27 seconds to boot. I don't really care. I just fire it up and soon enough it is ready to go.

I will comment on the questioning going on in this thread toward bennevis. It was the result of posts by him and a few others that steered me toward the V-Piano and V-Grand. I am absolutely thrilled with my V-Grand. I think I understand what he is reallysaying and I also think it needs to be taken in context.

Like bennevis, Ireally don't want to be messing with a computer or other attachments to my digital piano (thoughthere are monitors required for the V-Piano from what I understand). With my V-Grand, I just have one thing to turn on ad mess with. I can connect a computer but so far I have not other than to try out Roland's editor software. Personally, I find the screens on the built-in display to be easy enough for my needs.

Also, there is a level of playing experience on the V-Grand (and, I am sure,the V-Piano) that I have not experienced on sampled digital pianos. There seems to be a responsiveness that is hard for me to describe, but I definitely experience it. A more experienced player could better describe it.

Within bennevis' experience, I am sure he is convinced the V-Piano definitely has that extra "something" that makes the experience more real for him and he has expressed it his way in his posts. I don't take offesne at what he says, and didn't prior to getting the V-Grand.

To me, if somebody expresses an opinion in a forum ad that opinion is not attacking somebody, then there really is no harm done. It is simply that person's opinion. I doubt that many here have played every digital piano out there, but there are others besides bennevis who have made at least somewhat blanket statements in their opinions on certain aspects of digital pianos.

The links that pv-88 provided to his recordings on the V-Piano seem to reasonably represent the instrument. Yes, it can be tweaked, and some people simply won't like the sound of it. But I regularly see that in the acoustic piano discussions too - some think Yamaha is too bright, or another maker is too subtle, or whatever. One size simply does not fit all. Take bennevis' comments as his opinion and leave it at that. It is unfortunate that not many of us have ever seen a V-Piano (me included), so we can't try it. But we do have pv-88's recordings.

I try to be really careful about discussing the V-Grand because it is expensive and probably few here have one and even fewer have ever seen one. I love it, but I also acknowledge quite readily that there are many very decent digital pianos out there these days, and I would be happy with just about any of them. But again, that is just my opinion. smile

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 12/22/14 09:09 PM.

Roland V-Grand
L
L
It's not likeI don't believe bennevis or do not appreciate his love of V-Piano but what got me truly interested in one is watching and comparing Roland demo videos on HP-508 & V-Grand performed by the same pianist.

BTW, why can't we have something like an AG that does physical modeling?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by littlebirdblue
why can't we have something like an AG that does physical modeling?

No reason on earth. Connect a computer with Pianoteq 5 to an AG - or a very high quality keybaord such as a Kawai with GF such as the MP11 and you've got it.

L
L

No reason on earth. Connect a computer with Pianoteq 5 to an AG - or a very high quality keybaord such as a Kawai with GF such as the MP11 and you've got it.

V-Grand = AG + Pianoteq?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, both would be modelled pianos with high quality keyboard actions - the AG being a genuine acoustic action (not that that necessarily means it's better).

But they certainly wouldn't feel the same, play the same, connect with the player the same or sound the same. In fact the typical sound of the V piano is very different from Pianoteq.

Also, there are different appoaches to modifying the sounds in both of those systems. So, no, V-Grand does not = AG + Pianoteq. But they're both examples of highly developed piano modelling, with high end keyboards.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I don't know if having a PC or Mac running software such as Pianoteq via midi would provide as comlete and immediate an experience as a V-Grand. If it does, then it would be well worth the effort to get such asetup working that cohesively. The V-Grand is definitely very "real" in my experience. I ran Pianoteq on my ultrabook (i7based and quite fast) with my Casio PX-5S. It worked well, but to me comparing that to the V-Grand is sort of like comparing a real flight simulator to the flight simulator software running on a PC. In reality, the PC with Pianoteq provides a much better experience than flight simullator software, but I don't really know how else to make the comparison. There is something about how Roland put together the V-Grand that makes for a very real experience playing piano. It may well be that the current generation of consoles by Roland and Kawai come close to that experience, but there really is something to Roland's modelling that samples don't capture.

I don't want to get into the idea that it is either the V-Grand or nothing, but I do want to indicate that there is something about modelling ad Roland's packaging of the V-Grand that gives the player a very real experience. Whether that same level of experience in all its detail can be captured by a keyboard connected to a computer via midi only somebody who has put in the time, attending to all the detailsthat Roland to make the V-Grand could really say. I am not a technophobe, havinng been a software engineer for more than 20 years, but I really don't care to spend my free time muddling about with computers at home. I want to simply power on my V-Grand and play - simple, no hassle, magnificent experience.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
L
L
Our Mac laptops are old and I haven't really tried to improve our setup so maybe the problems we're having are at our end. Our local Roland dealer doesn't have a V-Piano or V-Grand in stock so I can only go on what I read on internet and what I hear on youtube videos, which is not a great way to be choosing a DP. Nonetheless, I get the feeling that PT and Roland's V technology are not really the same thing. PT piano sounds have that metallic/sonic quality that distracts me but I don't hear that in V-Grand demo videos.

It is frustrating that the technology is there to build a better DP but the price is prohibitive. I'd love to get my hand on something like a V-Piano (we don't have space or budget for V-Grand) with AG action but that'd probably sell for more than an average decent grand piano.

P
P
PT piano sounds have that metallic/sonic quality that distracts me but I don't hear that in V-Grand demo videos.

The sound of Pianoteq in demos greatly depends on its version. There was an update (5.1.0) in october that IMHO greatly improved the sound.
I personally had issues with pre-5.1.0 Pinoteq sound that prevented me from enjoying it, but now I find playing some of the presets very enjoyable (though perhaps not as realistic as some sampled pianos).

I ran Pianoteq on my ultrabook (i7based and quite fast) with my Casio PX-5S. It worked well, but to me comparing that to the V-Grand is sort of like comparing a real flight simulator to the flight simulator software running on a PC.

Casio has inferior action compared to the action in V-Piano (as it should - it's on a completely different price level), IMHO it's natural that the comparison ended with V-Piano being vastly better.
I experienced an incredible improvement in playing experience and realism when I upgraded from Yamaha GH action (similar level to Casio) to Kawai GF, even though the computer sound stayed unchanged.
I don't argue that V-piano experience couldn't be better than VSTs, I haven't tried V-piano, but comparison against Casio action doesn't tell much - in my experience the action (and latency) are extremely important factors in the whole experience.

Last edited by PtJaa; 12/23/14 08:57 AM. Reason: restyled for better clarity

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
B
B
It is frustrating that the technology is there to build a better DP but the price is prohibitive. I'd love to get my hand on something like a V-Piano (we don't have space or budget for V-Grand) with AG action but that'd probably sell for more than an average decent grand piano.

What bothers me about the AG is that it has the maintenance negatives that comes along with a wooden piano mechanism.

Isn't the kawai GF action getting pretty close to realistic? Maybe a few tweaks might help.

IMHO the biggest "enablers" of digital piano technology is maintenance and to a lesser degree portability.

Hopefully the next generation of high end digital pianos goes more towards the casio px5s software wise with a customization community. And of course have access to multiple downloadable community tweaked pianos.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bnolsen
IMHO the biggest "enablers" of digital piano technology is maintenance and to a lesser degree portability.

And silent playing to not bother family/neighbors at all hours. And cost.

Actually, I think maintenance is the least important of the the factors. Even lots of people who own and maintain acoustics still have a digital for portability or silent practice.

D
D
Well recorded live jazzy V-P Grand, for those who like that sort of thing ... and those who don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chyTf8UXNQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp66UOxha-s

Come on Santa Roland! Pleeeeeeze make a V-Piano Upright in an LX-15e style case with beefier amplification and better speakers damn it!

C
C
Originally Posted by bnolsen

What bothers me about the AG is that it has the maintenance negatives that comes along with a wooden piano mechanism.

The most frequent maintenance issues on an acoustic grand piano are tuning and voicing. Neither of them are needed on the AG. I (still) don't own one of these but it's my guess that they don't need more maintenance than a regular DP (close to cero at least on the first years). I also think that the AG action must be more robust than most of the digital ones (Please, actual owners tell me this is true or not :-) )

Actually, I think maintenance is the least important of the the factors. Even lots of people who own and maintain acoustics still have a digital for portability or silent practice.

+1 I'd add that many people use digital pianos for both uses. They're also a wonderful practice tool. I use a lot the built-in recorder for instant reproduction of what I'm playing and, therefore, continue trying to improve my playing.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
@dire tonic and others: I've posted about my settings in other threads and don't want to repeat that here. In my experience a latency of 3ms or so, and anything above, is disconnecting the immediacy between the tactile feel of the keys and the perceived shaping of the sound.

Hmmmm...
In 3 ms sound has traveled 1 meter.
So, for a totally satisfying and immersive experience your ears would have to be no further away than this from the soundboard of a grand piano.
For an upright piano it will be substantially easier.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
B
B
Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser

In 3 ms sound has traveled 1 meter.
So, for a totally satisfying and immersive experience your ears would have to be no further away than this from the soundboard of a grand piano.
For an upright piano it will be substantially easier.

The hammer striking the strings is less than 1 m away from the pianist in grand pianos, no matter how big.

It's the initial percussive hammer strike rather than the sound bouncing off the soundboard that gives the pianist the 'immediate tactile feel', i.e. that he is in control and not a microchip.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
When I write "3ms" I am talking about the latency as shown in the playing software (Kontakt in my case), not the overall delay from strike to sound which I can't measure and which is longer of course. The 'speed of sound argument' is often repeated without taking into account all the delays in a system (including the path from the speakers to the ear, if you are using speakers, which may well add another 3ms... and may be longer than the path a sound has to travel to your ears from an acoustic piano).

A musically trained ear can hear tiny time differences indeed.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

V-Grand = AG + Pianoteq?

Very pricey proposition to purchase an AG and then more or less "throw away" its sound engine. That's why I went with a controller (VPC-1) with Pianoteq. May have considered an MP11 if it had been available at the time but no complaints. The other thing is that you would have to (possibly endlessly) tweak the velocity curve to get the most out of an AG + software piano solution.

• Schimmel Upright

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

A musically trained ear can hear tiny time differences indeed.

This is quite clearly what is intimated:-

"If you can't hear 3ms latency, it's because you inhabit the lower artistic orders"....to which I say....<expletive/s deleted by my good self>

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
<expletive/s deleted by my good self>

You're welcome.

You know, one of the images that I can't get out of my mind in this kind of discussion is the following: Imagine a pianist playing a keyboard coupled mechanically (for the sake of argument, let's say, without any latency smile ) to a piano at a distance of, say, 3 meters. Don't you think she will feel disconnected? wink

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

You know, one of the images that I can't get out of my mind in this kind of discussion is the following: Imagine a pianist playing a keyboard coupled mechanically (for the sake of argument, let's say, without any latency smile ) to a piano at a distance of, say, 3 meters. Don't you think she will feel disconnected? wink

- if you mean what I think you mean then, yes, because there's also a spatial separation.

A couple of thoughts.

When I'm playing (I should say, trying to play) a classical piece, say, romantic, not too fast, I find that my tolerance to latency is much greater. I can put up with a quite a slow response, so much so that I'm often unaware that there's even a delay. With rhythmic music (pop, jazz, blues) I notice latency much more.

But I think a musician can become adapted. A percussionist playing a cabasa has to cope with an instrument that speaks late, very late. In order to hit the accent, wherever it might be, I would guess the movement to reach max volume has to start maybe 40-60 millisecs beforehand. And what about trying to cope with a Bach piece on one of those massive pipe organs. It must take some getting used to. Large brass instruments too present a similar problem.

I think your pianist above could come to terms with this strange remote piano. The musician is not so much the one who recognises the delay as he who copes with it.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think your pianist above could come to terms with this strange remote piano. The musician is not so much the one who recognises the delay as he who copes with it.

This is true and your examples of other instruments (church organs etc) are to the point. Yes, a musician will cope with the situation, and similarly she will cope with the latency of a digital system. BUT: This requires a change of technique, and given the choice musicians will certainly have preferences...

B
B

This is true and your examples of other instruments (church organs etc) are to the point. Yes, a musician will cope with the situation, and similarly she will cope with the latency of a digital system. BUT: This requires a change of technique, and given the choice musicians will certainly have preferences...

If someone only plays on his (say) VPC 1 with software pianos, and gets used to it, it's not a problem for him if there's latency. He gets used to it.

But if a pianist also plays acoustic pianos and is sensitive to latency issues, it's a problem. I've no problem switching between pianos with light or heavy actions, or between my digital and acoustics. But the (presumed) latency problem I felt when using Pianoteq is definitely not something I can live with, because piano playing for me has to feel real, and I have to feel 'connected' to the instrument.

Whereas when I play a harpsichord, or an organ in a church, I don't need this connection, because there's none - I can't control the tone or volume by the way I play the keys. It makes no difference whether the instrument is electronic, or whether there's latency.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by PtJaa

I ran Pianoteq on my ultrabook (i7based and quite fast) with my Casio PX-5S. It worked well, but to me comparing that to the V-Grand is sort of like comparing a real flight simulator to the flight simulator software running on a PC.

Casio has inferior action compared to the action in V-Piano (as it should - it's on a completely different price level), IMHO it's natural that the comparison ended with V-Piano being vastly better.
I experienced an incredible improvement in playing experience and realism when I upgraded from Yamaha GH action (similar level to Casio) to Kawai GF, even though the computer sound stayed unchanged.
I don't argue that V-piano experience couldn't be better than VSTs, I haven't tried V-piano, but comparison against Casio action doesn't tell much - in my experience the action (and latency) are extremely important factors in the whole experience.

Agreed. I probably was not clear. I think my Casio is a surprisingly fine instrument, much better than anything eve well above that price range even a few short years ago. I just care for the keboard connected to the computer as soound module and much prefer having the whole thing tightly integrated as Roland did with my V-Grand. I had hoped that a stage piano with Pianoteq would do it for me. It isn't Pianoteq, I thought it sounded fine. It was the overall piano experience that those here with V-Pianos talk about. I think it has to be experienced in "real life" rather than reading about it on the forum or watching a Youtube video to really get it. I still have never seen a V-Piano, but as bennevis (I think it was him) said once, with headphones on, the V-Piano and V-Grand provide the same experience. So I assume that what I am typically experiencing when practicing with headphones is similar to the V-Piano experience, and it really is satisfying. When using the buit-in sound system on the V-Grand, it is even better now that I know to turn it most of the way up to get the full dynamics. smile

Tony

Roland V-Grand
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
But if you pick the right Audio Interface you can get sub 6ms total roundtrip latency at 44.1khz.
www.dawbench.com has done the tests.

Also you could set the interface for 96khz and cut the latency in half.
If you have an old computer it might not handle it.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Whereas when I play a harpsichord, or an organ in a church, I don't need this connection, because there's none - I can't control the tone or volume by the way I play the keys.

Agree with everything you say except this bit. I have once or twice played a church organ so can't comment on this, but with harpsichords there definitely is a connection, albeit a different one than with the piano. Actually quite a bit of it. My feel is that timing in particular is at least as precise if not more precise in a harpsichord than in a piano. You feel the resistance of the string before it is plucked in your fingertips... whereas with a piano you carefully throw the hammer without sensing the strings.

And then there are the clavichords - you can't have more connection with the tone in a keyed instrument than with one of these wink

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
B
B
Whereas when I play a harpsichord, or an organ in a church, I don't need this connection, because there's none - I can't control the tone or volume by the way I play the keys.

Agree with everything you say except this bit. I have once or twice played a church organ so can't comment on this, but with harpsichords there definitely is a connection, albeit a different one than with the piano. Actually quite a bit of it. My feel is that timing in particular is at least as precise if not more precise in a harpsichord than in a piano. You feel the resistance of the string before it is plucked in your fingertips... whereas with a piano you carefully throw the hammer without sensing the strings.

And then there are the clavichords - you can't have more connection with the tone in a keyed instrument than with one of these wink

I certainly agree with you about the clavichord, though the action noise often overpowers the actual sound when you try to play softly, with vibrato........ wink

The harpsichord is a different case - it feels more like a guitar than a piano - except that you can't do much with the sound, unlike a guitar. No wonder so many harpsichordists play with exaggerated rubati and jerky rhythm........

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
No wonder so many harpsichordists play with exaggerated rubati and jerky rhythm........

Well the art is to use timing in an artful manner, neither overdoing it nor not using its expressive possibilities. Moreover, since there is no pedaling, fingerings and the proper timing of 'key offs' are much more challenging than in pianos.

Unfortunately I don't own one (yet?) so I can only dream of learning more along these lines.... But there is some literature where I really can't decide what's more beautiful, a well-played grand or a well-played harpsichord (example: Bach's sonatas for keyboard and violin).

B
B

But there is some literature where I really can't decide what's more beautiful, a well-played grand or a well-played harpsichord (example: Bach's sonatas for keyboard and violin).

The only occasion when I can stand the harpsichord sound for long periods is when it's used in a continuo rôle. I'm OK with a three-hour Mozart opera with the harpsichord tinkling along during the recitatives wink .

But a whole recital of harpsichord music, say by Bach, Handel, Couperin, Rameau et al would make me think of Beecham's description of a harpsichord sound as "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm" grin.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

If someone only plays on his (say) VPC 1 with software pianos, and gets used to it, it's not a problem for him if there's latency. He gets used to it.

Regarding latency in general, I'm in no doubt that any one of the latest generation of controllers driving a good sample library via a modern laptop, properly set up, will satisfy any pianist - professional or otherwise - with a latency comparable to that of a typical acoustic piano. Maybe a millisec more or less but no system has zero latency.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Regarding latency in general, I'm in no doubt that any one of the latest generation of controllers driving a good sample library via a modern laptop, properly set up, will satisfy any pianist - professional or otherwise - with a latency comparable to that of a typical acoustic piano. Maybe a millisec more or less but no system has zero latency.

With a good usb interface and a modern laptop latency is not a problem. Having experienced latency and resolved it I can tell the difference. Its not something I have to live with. Its simply not an issue anymore.

• Schimmel Upright

P
P
Originally Posted by Vid
With a good usb interface and a modern laptop latency is not a problem. Having experienced latency and resolved it I can tell the difference. Its not something I have to live with. Its simply not an issue anymore.

+1. (In my case with a desktop and a cheap internal soundcard.)

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Today I had some time to wander around in one of our Schmitt Music stores, where they had several acoustic upright and grand pianos, including Yamaha, Steinway, Schimmel, Bosten, Kawai, and a few names I didn't recognize at the low end, across a range of prices. After having lived with my V-Grand for some months now, I found it interesting to try some things on several of these pianos. I can say that for the most part, I prefer the action on the digital pianos they had (Kawai CA95, ES7, Roland LX-15e and some other Roland digital consoles) to that of most of the uprights. The uprights felt "shallow" in their keystroke to me, though they sounded fine.

What I noticed is that there is a discernible difference in the quality of sound and the feel of the acoustic pianos, both upright and grand, across the price range, with the more expensive ($25,000++) being noticeably smoother in the grand pianos.

There is a "spark" in the sound of the acoustic pianos (a growl in the low end and a shimmer in the highs) that sounded much better as the price went up. I don't notice that same characteristic in the digital pianos they had, but definitely notice it in my V-Grand, especially in the patches that Jay put together for it. The other thing I noticed is when I tried playing the better acoustic grands, how quietly I could play a note and still even faintly hear it. I could not get that same thing on any of the digital pianos, but definitely do on my V-Grand. On the lower cost acoustic pianos, especially the uprights, it was more difficult to achieve that, but still very doable.

So now I do feel that the V-Grand really does something that I don't find in other digital pianos, and I suspect that the V-Piano probably can do these things too, as well as having that same aliveness that the V-Grand has.

All in all, I was pleased with what I experienced. I don't know that this will properly show up in a recording. If it could, then sampled pianos should exhibit these same qualities. I do believe there really is something to this modelling technology, but really, I think a person really needs to have the pianos in question at hand to realy experience it. Internet talk can only go so far before experience becomes necessary.

Edit: My table really is not good for forum activity, so I am finishing on my Linux desktop.

Am I saying that the V-Grand is a drop-in replacement for an acoustic grand? No. Am I saying that everybody should get a V-Grand or forget it? Again, no. I do believe that the differences between a decent acoustic piano and the V-Grand are far less than they are with any other digital I have played. But there are many fine digital pianos around (Kawai CA95, Roland LX15e, etc.), and I would choose one of these over any of the less expensive acoustic pianos, especially the uprights.

There are most likely not very many V-Grand pianos around for people to experience for themselves, since I have been told that the "sweet spot" for acoustic grand pianos falls right around where the V-Grand is priced. Most people would opt for an acoustic at that price point, as would I if I had a house and enough money left over to buy a grand piano of some kind. But for me, the V-Grand is everything I could want in a piano and my experience today indicates it is close enough to an acoustic of decent quality that I won't be looking for a replacement unless something happens to it that can't be fixed.

I think Roland really outdid themselves with the V-Grand and V-Piano, and sincerely hope that the technology starts showing up in its completeness in their consoles at a lower price point. I really think people will be thrilled with that when the time comes.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 12/24/14 05:34 PM.

Roland V-Grand
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I don't know if any of you have tried adding another set of speakers to a sampled piano.
I.e. two in front and two speakers behind the player. For me it makes a significant improvement in realism, and I would never live without it now.
I have one set of Genelec studio monitors in front, and so far only a computer sound system with 2 satellite speakers and a sub woofer behind me.
The only speakers that can handle the transients properly are the studio monitors. The other speakers sound like trash at any higher volume levels.
I keep them at a fairly low volume for just filling in the space, and it will do for now.
Although I don't experience any latency problem on my desktop computer and using NI Akoustik Piano (2mS output latency).
With Steinberg's The Grand3 a bit more...about 2.9 mS output latency. Double those figures for approximately the total latency.
I much prefer the NI Akoustik...not because of less latency, but because it sounds significantly closer. Perfectly so actually. The Grand3 sounds more distant and is less realistic because of that.

You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
B
B
Does it not depend on whether your DP offers quadraphonic sound, and is designed to be used with four speakers in its output?

My DP (which has no integral speakers) gives a choice of stereo or quadraphonic speaker set-up, and if using the latter, they (Roland) give a diagram showing the optimum positioning of the four speakers - all in front of the player.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Bennevis,
Your quote:'Does it not depend on whether your DP offers quadraphonic sound, and is designed to be used with four speakers in its output'.
I've looked at this before,experimented and though about it...

There certainly are no different audio samples made for a second stereo channel. The only provision is for an extra 2 output channels to direct the sound to 'built into' the program itself.
Sure there is a picture of a 'quadraphonic soundfield' where you can place an image of a piano in it in any position (e.g. in The Grand 3). But this is just a matter of panning the volume of two stereo channels of the 4 speakers in a quadraphonic field. As far as I can tell there is no different sound for the rear two channels and no delay effects etc,and the panning can be done by one's own ear and taste in a regular analog mixer...which is what I'm doing.
I've experimented with using only the quadraphonic 'feature' built into the program with a 'straight' connection of 2 stereo channels without using a mixer.Sure it can seem more convenient and one gets a visual indication,but using a mixer and going by what one hears gives much more freedom.
Having the speakers behind you makes a world of difference. It places you within the whole soundscape,and I think it also alleviates any latency annoyance if one is in that situation.
Later on, I will add a pair of Yamaha studio monitors for the rear field. The quality of the speakers makes an enormous difference to my ears. I've compared the sound I get from the Genelecs to the sound I get in my Koss headphones. I did that tonight while recording some vocals and referencing to my backing tracks through the headphones. Yuck! I can't use the headphones for listening enjoyment anymore, that's for sure. The speakers beat them badly. It's also known that a proper stereo field is not replicated in headphones.

I suspect that Roland Corp. would not give an example of a proper quadraphonic field setup. It would not be right marketing. A lot of people would not be able/willing to use that speaker setup in their homes. Would cause too many divorces...hahaha

I
OP Offline
I
Wow that discussion went off on many tangents! Very interesting information in any case! smile

So to get back to the main topic, I measured the touch weight of my Pramberger JP-185 (using nickels and a rather accurate kitchen scale) and the average is a whopping 60 grams.

I owned a 1985 Young Chang U121 upright prior to this grand and while it was lighter, it was not significantly lighter so I would guestimate that it was probably more around the standard 50 grams.

My original post mentioned that I was looking at digitals around $2000. I would feel... guilty paying more than that for a digital considering you can get some very nice slightly-used uprights for $2000-$5000. I sold my Young Chang for $1500 a few years ago when I got the grand and it was an excellent piano. Would have kept it, but collecting pianos requires a very large house! smile Even the 2004 Pramberger grand only cost me $8000US in barely used condition a few years back.

Note that my research is based on my needs. I am only looking for most realistic action and sound for the price. I don't care about looks, portability (weight), built-in speakers/amp, number of voices other than piano, effects, rythms or any other electronic features.

So far according to suggestions in this topic and other research, my list of prospects (recent models) includes:

Kawai VPC1 (release date: 2013, action: RM3II Wooden-Key, Graded-hammer Action w/Counterbalancing , sound engine: none , polyphony: n/a , retail price: $1849US)
Kawai MP10 (release date: 2013, action: RM3 Grand Wooden-Key action , sound engine: Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging , polyphony: 192 , retail price: estimated $1900US)
Kawai MP11 (release date: 2013, action: Grand Feel (GF) wooden-key action with Let-off, Triple Sensors and Ivory-touch surfaces, sound engine: Harmonic Imaging XL , polyphony: 256, retail price: $2799US)
Kawai CA65 (release date: 2012, action: Grand Feel (GF) Wooden-Key Action with Let-Off and Ivory Feel Keys, sound engine: Harmonic Imaging XL , polyphony: 256, retail price: estimated $3000US)
Roland RD-800 (release date: 2013, action: PHA-4 Concert Keyboard: with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel , sound engine: SuperNATURAL Piano , polyphony: 128, retail price: $2499US)
Yamaha CP4 (release date: 2013, action: 88-key Natural Wood Graded Hammer (NW-GH) keyboard with Synthetic Ivory Keytops (with real-wood white keys), sound engine: SCM (Spectral Component Modeling) + AWM2 , polyphony: 128, retail price: $2299US)

way out of price range:

Kawai CS7 (release date: 2012, action: Grand Feel (GF) Wooden-Key Action, sound engine: Harmonic Imaging XL , polyphony: 256, retail price: estimated $4500US)
Roland DP-90Se (release date: 2013, action: PHA-4 Concert Keyboard: with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel , sound engine: SuperNATURAL Piano , polyphony: 128, retail price: estimated $3499US)
Roland HPi-50e (release date: 2013, action: PHA-4 Concert Keyboard: with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel , sound engine: SuperNATURAL Piano , polyphony: 128, retail price: estimated $4400US)

(did I forget any?)

(any ideas between the differences of the Roland PHA4 Concert vs. Premium vs. Standard actions?)

As far as my research goes, the VPC1 and the MP10 have the exact same action except that the MP10 has 2 sensors and the VPC1 has 3.

One issue with the VPC1 is the price. Considering the MP10 is loaded to the brims with digital features at the same price, I feel that the vPC1 is over-priced because of this. In order for the VPC1 to produce any sound at all, a computer with MIDI capabilities is required and to get quality sound, special software is required which added together could cost over an additional $700-$1000 making the MP11 an attractive competitor that has a "superior" action and the MP10 if you can still get one.

It would be nice to know the touch weight of the above pianos. If people so wish to contribute, just keep stacking nickels on the end of the key until it goes down by itself and report back with how many was required. A US nickel weighs about 5 grams. (For those that wish to measure their acoustic piano, please hold down the sustain pedal while performing the measurement!)

Any ideas for older models with realistic actions? (such as the Kawai CA63)

There is a used Kawai HA-11 hybrid for sale not far from here - I have contacted the seller and am waiting for a reply. It apparently features a complete acoustic grand piano action yet it is a digital piano. Yes, the sound may not be up to par with today's technology (looks like it came out in 1998) but it has MIDI so that could be remedied with Pianoteq if necessary - probably even re-routable back into the internal amp. Maybe I can get it for a steal. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by integris; 12/31/14 01:58 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Specific to Kawai's offerings, VPC1's touchweight - equalling that of the MP10 - was found to be around 60+ grms IIRC. I can't remember if the MP11's touchweight has been noted here but it's generally reported as lighter by those who've experienced both.

On value for money I'd say the VPC1 is not overpriced compared to the MP11 IF your objective is to end up with a more convincing piano sound using software - the cost of VPC1+PC+samples equates closely with the price of the MP11. The trade-off then is the better piano sound of the VPC1 setup vs the bells, whistles and onboard sound of the MP11 (if you want the lighter action with longer key then it's no contest, it has to be the MP11). A further consideration might be VPC1's custom velocity curves for the market-leading software pianos but FWIW I don't see this as such a biggy.

The MP10 is probably selling at a discount so if you're not bothered about the extra sensor AND if you want the heavier action that might be a sensible choice.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
As you are an experienced pianist on acoustics, my guess is that you will soon want to add that computer/software to get sound approximating to an AP. So my advice is to focus on the action. Try each at different touch settings: the key "weight" appears to change. You won't get much sensitivity re gradations of p, mp, mf, f etc from most DPs until you go to a software base. Having tried various software pianos with my DP (ES7), Pianoteq gives me the nearest experience to playing an acoustic grand. (60 years' experience of acoustics until I moved to DP 2 years' ago)

PM me if you would like further info on my experience. Whilst every opinion here is just that, sometimes relating one's experience provokes unfortunate responses. (IMHO)

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
IMHO the triple sensor makes a big difference and I think for your level of playing it should be one of your main considerations.

• Schimmel Upright

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission