Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
117 registered (AndyP, Alux, ando, 36251, anamnesis, 27 invisible), 1495 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2363273 - 12/18/14 11:10 PM Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner?
SKding Offline

Having played guitar for nearly 20 years now, I am looking at learning the piano.

I have narrowed the choices down to the above two models and I am wondering which one will you guys choose?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2363277 - 12/18/14 11:27 PM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
fizikisto Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Either would be suitable.

The korg has more tones, but lacks the ability to split the keyboard. Both boards have (imo) excellent actions (for the price). The casio is more portable and less expensive (even if you get the stand/triple pedal upgrades). The korg has traditional Midi outputs (better for connecting to other midi gear) where the casio has USB midi (slightly better for connecting to a computer)

You might also look at the casio px350 which (if you get the stand/pedal upgrade) is comparable in price to the korg but much more feature rich. Also worth looking at in that price range are the kawai ES100 and the yamaha P105.

Of them, my choice would probably be:

1) casio PX350
2) kawai ES100
3) PX150
4)korg
5) yamaha.

But of course, 10 other people might rank them differently in 10 different ways, preferences are really a *very* personal thing. If possible, try to find a store and play some of them. Judge how you like the way the keyboard sounds/feels.

warm regards

#2363307 - 12/19/14 01:29 AM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: fizikisto]
SKding Offline

Originally Posted By: fizikisto
Either would be suitable.

The korg has more tones, but lacks the ability to split the keyboard. Both boards have (imo) excellent actions (for the price). The casio is more portable and less expensive (even if you get the stand/triple pedal upgrades). The korg has traditional Midi outputs (better for connecting to other midi gear) where the casio has USB midi (slightly better for connecting to a computer)

You might also look at the casio px350 which (if you get the stand/pedal upgrade) is comparable in price to the korg but much more feature rich. Also worth looking at in that price range are the kawai ES100 and the yamaha P105.

Of them, my choice would probably be:

1) casio PX350
2) kawai ES100
3) PX150
4)korg
5) yamaha.

But of course, 10 other people might rank them differently in 10 different ways, preferences are really a *very* personal thing. If possible, try to find a store and play some of them. Judge how you like the way the keyboard sounds/feels.

warm regards

For some weird reason in my part of the world, the PX150, LP380 and P105 costs the same... The Kawai is way over priced here and prices me out...

#2363310 - 12/19/14 01:58 AM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
PtJaa Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
IMHO Korg LP380 is much worse than Casio PX150 (or any other reasonable instrument). I have tried LP380 a couple times and I was shocked first at how little variance there was between piano and forte tones - little more than just difference in loudness. (Basically it was completely incapable to produce p tone.)

It could be that that unit was set up wrongly, but I turned it on myself every time and I don't think it retains setting after it's switched off.

#2363364 - 12/19/14 07:28 AM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SKding

For some weird reason in my part of the world, the PX150, LP380 and P105 costs the same... The Kawai is way over priced here and prices me out...

Oh, right. Sorry, I should have thought about different pricing in different parts of the world. My preference would still be the PX150. But that preference is such a personal thing, the best way is for you to try them out each yourself. Even if 99 out of a 100 people would prefer the casio, you might be the 1 out of 100 that prefers the korg. The only way to know that for sure is to try it yourself.

#2363380 - 12/19/14 08:36 AM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan

May I ask where you are located?

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2363398 - 12/19/14 09:15 AM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: fizikisto]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: fizikisto
But that preference is such a personal thing, the best way is for you to try them out each yourself. Even if 99 out of a 100 people would prefer the casio, you might be the 1 out of 100 that prefers the korg. The only way to know that for sure is to try it yourself.

I totally agree. However, as a beginner to piano, it's hard to know what's good even if you do test it out yourself. If you know of any pianists that would be willing to go with you and try out the models you're interested in, that might be worthwhile.

Chances are, you will eventually upgrade this instrument as your skill and tastes develop. Personally, I recommend the Casio PX-150 as a good starter DP. It's affordable, has a decent action (although I find the textured keys a bit odd - but that's just me), and decent sound. Yamaha is OK, but I think the Casio will get you more mileage. Korg is not quite on par with Casio or Yamaha, IMO.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2363463 - 12/19/14 11:59 AM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: Morodiene]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
However, as a beginner to piano, it's hard to know what's good even if you do test it out yourself. If you know of any pianists that would be willing to go with you and try out the models you're interested in, that might be worthwhile.

Yes, That's a good idea. And even if not possible you could always ask the salesman (or saleswoman) to play something for you on them to help you evaluate the sound. As for the action, I think yes and no. A beginner can be sensitive to things like, "Wow, that's really noisy when the sound's turned off" or "wow, that really bottoms out hard when I play the keys" or whatever. Maybe they lack the skills to fully evaluate the keyboard in terms of their preference, but they can at least make an educated guess. And beyond that, I think a beginner will adapt to whatever action they have (as long as it's a reasonable one). Sometimes we have preferences because of familiarity. You might prefer a digital piano to have heavier actions because it's similar to the acoustic piano you have at home or to the piano you learned on. A beginner isn't making those kinds of subconscious (or even conscious) comparisons.

P.S The korg lp380 is actually a nice little niche piano. It has a nice furniture look to it without taking up a lot of room, it's got really good speakers for the size/price, and it has korg's top of the line action (which compares very well to the casio action imo...though not to the upper end actions from roland/kawai).

I too would pick the px150, but the korg might be a very reasonable alternative. Definitely worth giving a look if they can find one to try.

#2363468 - 12/19/14 12:09 PM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
bnolsen Offline

Loc: Colorado
I like the px150. You can upgrade to an acoustic or cabinet digital piano later and keep the px150 around. It plays great for its weight.

#2364344 - Today at 07:40 PM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
SKding Offline

Hey guys, I took everyone's advice into consideration and went for piano testings ovee the weekend. Here are my personal ibservations from a newbie.

Korg LP380 - The piano sounds were nothing to shout about while the rest of its non piano sounds were fantastic. The only thing i did not like about it was the action. The keys feel heavily damped and sluggish.

Casio PX150 - Liked the looks. Piano sounds were actually rather good. Brighter sounding than the yamahas I tried just for comparison but bright tones are what I prefer personally. The action was good and the feel was fantastic.

Yamaha P105/P155 - The P105 did not feel any better than the Casio. The P155 was just fantastic in terms of sound and had the best action of the models I tried but I am priced out from it.

So I bought the Casio and honestly say that it a good choice and value for a beginner like me. I am really having fun transfering the music I have learn on the guitar over to the piano.

#2364349 - Today at 07:53 PM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Hey guys, I took everyone's advice into consideration and went for piano testings ovee the weekend. Here are my personal ibservations from a newbie.

Korg LP380 - The piano sounds were nothing to shout about while the rest of its non piano sounds were fantastic. The only thing i did not like about it was the action. The keys feel heavily damped and sluggish.

Casio PX150 - Liked the looks. Piano sounds were actually rather good. Brighter sounding than the yamahas I tried just for comparison but bright tones are what I prefer personally. The action was good and the feel was fantastic.

Yamaha P105/P155 - The P105 did not feel any better than the Casio. The P155 was just fantastic in terms of sound and had the best action of the models I tried but I am priced out from it.

So I bought the Casio and honestly say that it a good choice and value for a beginner like me. I am really having fun transfering the music I have learn on the guitar over to the piano.

Congratulations on your new PX-150! laugh
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2364355 - Today at 08:20 PM Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
petes1 Online   content

You are in for a world of fun -- congratulations on a good purchase and best of luck in your piano studies!!!

#2364370 - 7 minutes 24 seconds ago Re: Korg LP380 or Casio PX150 for beginner? [Re: SKding]
500 Post Club Member

Congratulations on your purchase! It's a great choice and I hope that it gives you much enjoyment and fun!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
12/21/14 01:05 PM
Forum Stats
77390 Members
42 Forums
160046 Topics
2350300 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission