Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
128 registered (Anita Potter, accordeur, A Guy, 36251, 38 invisible), 1512 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2363865 - Today at 11:42 AM mp11
mike2014 Offline

I have just joined the forum, having read many articles, and most on the MP11.
I purchased one in June this year, and the the piano is excellent in many ways, but there are problems with the sound, and I have trawled through all the menus, downloaded updates, and had engineer visits etc etc. The D Eb and E above middle C are just not musically the same as the notes around them, and no amount of fiddling with the technology on board the piano will cure the problem with these notes without changing everything else. Working with the Pop sounds has brought the best results so far for playability, but it takes a lot of fiddling.
The Galaxy Steinway Vintage D looks perhaps to be a good way to getting a better sound combined with the wonderful touch of the MP, and I would be interested to know if anyone has this sample and if it is as good as it sounds on the many demos on the net.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2363873 - Today at 11:56 AM Re: mp11 [Re: mike2014]
McBuster Online   content

Loc: St Paul Minnesota USA
There has been serious discussion in this Forum of the sounds of certain keys on all the Kawai pianos that use the same Grand Feel keyboard and Harmonic Imaging XL engine. Particularly for their flagship Concert Grand sound.

Folks at Kawai will tell you it is the result of individually sampling each key which produces an "organic" sound.

Others, myself included, believe it to be a defect.

There is nothing anyone has tried to fine tune these keys that works. Nor has there been an effective solution put forward by Kawai. This defect does not affect every piano with this setup. Some folks have had product exchanged and remark of the difference. That may be a solution for you.

The Pop sounds are a good substitute and some have used Mellow Grand as well. Reverb can also affect the results. I usually turn it off.

Regarding software pianos, make sure you try before you buy. They typically might need a fairly good computer (think $$$) with more than one CPU, and possibly fast disk drives. PianoTeq has a really good demo that includes all their sounds. It is not based on Sound Samples.

Kawai CA95
Sailor, Consultant, Gourmet, Dreamer

#2363883 - Today at 12:33 PM Re: mp11 [Re: McBuster]
mike2014 Offline

Many thanks for your quick reply.
It is a problem to try software before you buy here in England.
You have to buy and hope it works.
I have tried net trial version of Galaxy Steinway, and it sounds even across the range, but you still need to play it to be sure.

regards mike

#2363889 - Today at 12:43 PM Re: mp11 [Re: mike2014]
Alexander Borro Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: mike2014
Many thanks for your quick reply.
It is a problem to try software before you buy here in England.
You have to buy and hope it works.
I have tried net trial version of Galaxy Steinway, and it sounds even across the range, but you still need to play it to be sure.

regards mike

The nearest to trying before buying is this service

http://www.try-sound.com/

latency is horrible but you can play back the midi samples at normal speed, and play with the interface as if it were installed, and of course press the keys and use it with your keyboard, even if latency is what it is.

It is free anyway, so nothing lost for trying. I still found it very useful.

I also tried the vintage D and Ivory 2 on there before buying, both I really liked, but the latter a bit more for its fuller sound ,but then I am noob player so that is something you have to decide for yourself.

Of course pianoteq already has a great demo you can try, even if a few black keys are disabled and has a time limit of 20 mins.

Edited by Alexander Borro (Today at 12:46 PM)

#2363897 - Today at 12:55 PM Re: mp11 [Re: Alexander Borro]
mike2014 Offline

I have tried the Galaxy on there. Sounded even across the whole keyboard. Sounds like the Ivory was better for you...I haven`t tried that. I want it for playing classical pieces..

The Mp11 will record ok for chord backgrounds and stuff like that, but it`s not really good enough for classical.

#2363907 - Today at 01:12 PM Re: mp11 [Re: mike2014]
Alexander Borro Offline

Playing anything was hard to assess I thought on try-sound, in the end it was to some degree a bit of a leap of faith for me which of the two to get. I just liked the sound/colour of the American D that little bit more. No doubt you will get camps to vouch for both and are more qualified to say which would suit better for classical.

What I did find with Ivory was that once you I got it installed locally it sounded better to what it is on there due to band width issues only allowing you to do so much. I assume the same would be true of the vintage D when comparing a local installation versus try-sound.

I was only able to really use 24 voices max on try-sound and anything more I would get the slow disk message on Ivory. Vintage D is less resource hungry over IP and worked a bit better on try-sound if anything I thought.

Having installed Ivory on a solid state drive at home though the PC can handle it easily with no such restrictions.

#2363929 - Today at 02:31 PM Re: mp11 [Re: mike2014]
Rolf Benz Offline

Could you please provide a sample which shows this problem?

Here is mine which I recorded using the keys you have mentioned:

Audio-002.mp3

To me, each single note sounds more or less the same, depending on touch and velocity.
If at all there are only faint differences which in my opinion add to the realism.

By the way, this is the default setting for Concert Grand. It's not really good and changing the parameters of Sound and Virtual Technician as well as Reverb seem necessary to get a better and more realistic feeling. But that's another story.

#2363947 - Today at 03:52 PM Re: mp11 [Re: Rolf Benz]
mike2014 Offline

I think there are differences in sound with some of the notes, but it is not my intention to be too critical of the MP11, but to find out whether anybody has experience of using the Galaxy Vintage Steinway D sample.

Edited by mike2014 (Today at 04:36 PM)

#2363997 - Today at 06:09 PM Re: mp11 [Re: mike2014]
lolatu Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've tried the Galaxy Vintage D and Ivory ACD on try-sound. I preferred the ACD, but it's hard to say to what extent that was influenced by whatever the default settings happened to be. The ACD had a more distant concert-hall sound, while the Galaxy was more intimate. I'm not sure to what extent you can tweak this.

On paper the ACD is better (more layers, larger sample-set). However I will probably end up getting the Galaxy since a) it's cheaper b) doesn't require purchase and use of iLok and c) takes up much less space on the SSD. Also I do not need the absolute best available. I think the Galaxy would be more than adequate for me and the existence of something else wouldn't make it any less-so.

Anything that is download-only (Ravenscroft etc) is out of the question for me, since my internet is really slow.

#2364006 - 27 minutes 44 seconds ago Re: mp11 [Re: Rolf Benz]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: Rolf Benz
Here is mine which I recorded using the keys you have mentioned:

Audio-002.mp3

Thank you Rolf.
Sounds fine to me too.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help picking a Beethoven Piano Sonata Slow movement
by oaklandraiders76
Today at 04:50 PM
What are some great ways to learn the blues?
by brucepiano
Today at 04:37 PM
Do you recommend a back cover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
Today at 03:56 PM
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
Today at 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
Today at 01:37 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160021 Topics
2349946 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission