2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
I was wondering if there is a resource somewhere of the various actions Kawai has currently and in the past and the order of realism in the actions (from least to most realistic or least to most expensive).

It seems like there are a lot of actions and each has their own features so a list of them would be interesting to have for a sort of "history of Kawai actions" and how every new action gets closer to replicating a real acoustic. Just a thought that came to my head right now smile

Casio Privia PX-5S | DMC-122 with Gemini module | Onstage KS7150 Stand | Audio Technica M40x Monitor Headphones | Roland Cube CM-30 PA/Monitor | Galaxy Instruments Vintage D and The Giant VSTs
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P

A folded plastic action, and a pivot-based wooden action.

Everything else is a slight improvement (debatable) on the previous iteration: Longer keys, three sensors vs. 2, synthetic ivory etc.

B
B
kawaius.com lists the actions if you click on them.

These ones seem like the ones currently sold on the internet or in showrooms:

RHII - mp7, es7, cn24, cn34
RHIII - cn25, cn35
AHAIV-F es100, cl26, kdp90

RM3II - vpc1
GF mp11, ca65, ca95

Last edited by bnolsen; 09/30/14 11:57 AM.
G
OP Offline
G
So it really does not make that much of a difference the various actions they've made? For example, they do have Responsive Hammer action I, II, and III. Each of them must have better features with each new iteration. I think they also have a Grand Piano action. But there are so many it's kinda hard to keep track. I know every action must be different plus there is also the factor of wood vs plastic. My point is that it would be a good idea to list them all maybe from simplest action to most complex and also depending on the material of the keys (plastic vs wood), if they have synthetic ivory or not, details like that IMO changes the action from one to the next.

Casio Privia PX-5S | DMC-122 with Gemini module | Onstage KS7150 Stand | Audio Technica M40x Monitor Headphones | Roland Cube CM-30 PA/Monitor | Galaxy Instruments Vintage D and The Giant VSTs
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Giancarlo, bnolsen's list is correct, however I believe the following table should provide additional information that addresses your queries.

[Linked Image]
* Optional Let-off refers to the fact that some models could share the same keyboard action, but include/exclude let-off.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
Coming from a CN24, and only a basic knowledge of playing uprights, what difference exactly does the counterweighting on all keys do on the newer RH3 over the RH2 then?

Don't worry, just found the follwing... http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2323243/New_Kawai_DP_&_RH3_action_.html

Last edited by blackspaven; 12/21/14 05:02 PM.

Kawai CN24 & Roland VR700.
Straight up jackin'! ;0)
R
R
Originally Posted by blackspaven
Coming from a CN24, and only a basic knowledge of playing uprights, what difference exactly does the counterweighting on all keys do on the newer RH3 over the RH2 then?

Significant to not noticeable.
Sorry to be that enigmatic, but it is just my own experience. If you play either of both actions and you do not have much experience with grand piano actions you will most likely not miss anything. Or notice anything, to be more precise.

Just in direct comparison you *might* feel the difference. But it's more or less quite subtle and will usually only reveal its strengths to experienced players.

Don't worry, either the RH2 or RH3 will feel nice and capable, be it counterweight or not. You will have to develop quite advanced skills to notice the difference (and pay attention to it). For the time being, if I were you, I would not pay to much of attention to that feature. You should concentrate on how each action feels to your playing and how well it connects to your expectations.

M
M
James, I'm wondering what does exactly 'key length mean', is it the visible part of the key? does it refer to the whole key?
Thanks!

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
B
B
Marcos it refers to the entire key, whether it is visible or not.

The longer the key the closer the leverage becomes to that of an acoustic.

All these things do matter.. the closer the action is to that of an acoustic the better off you are when you go from playing your digital to playing someone else's acoustic piano, particularly if you're a beginner... experienced players will have learned how to adapt, but we beginners don't have this sense yet.

If it wasn't for cost & portability all the digital pianos would have the most realistic action the manufacturer could design..

Marcos, as Ben notes, the table above refers to the entire key.

Cheers,
James
x

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ben Boule
The longer the key the closer the leverage becomes to that of an acoustic.

All these things do matter.. the closer the action is to that of an acoustic the better off you are when you go from playing your digital to playing someone else's acoustic piano, particularly if you're a beginner... experienced players will have learned how to adapt, but we beginners don't have this sense yet.

The pivot length (listed in a separate column) is the important one in determining the feel, or more specifically, how the force required varies with how far up the keys you play. I don't see how the key length is relevant. It's a bit naughty really, including that as a column, with the implication that longer is better. Moreover, the AHA/RH action is a completely different design to the AWA/GF, and doesn't need any more key length beyond the pivot, because the hammer is triggered on the near side. It could be argued that shorter is actually better, because it reduces the key's inertia and makes the whole assembly more compact and lighter.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another funny thing I noticed the other day is that acoustic piano technicians refer to all modern piano keyboards as being "plastic", as opposed to ivory, rather than "wooden", as Kawai uses for their digitals.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by lolatu
It could be argued that shorter is actually better, because it reduces the key's inertia and makes the whole assembly more compact and lighter.

ahhh, no....

Originally Posted by lolatu
Another funny thing I noticed the other day is that acoustic piano technicians refer to all modern piano keyboards as being "plastic", as opposed to ivory, rather than "wooden", as Kawai uses for their digitals.

I don't believe you are comparing the same thing.

The key itself is made of wood, while the key surface is made from a composite plastic. This is true of most - if not all - acoustic piano actions and Kawai's wooden key digital piano actions.

Kind regards,
James
x

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission