Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
126 registered (Aibohphobia, 36251, 661-Pete, accordeur, Al LaPorte, ajames, 30 invisible), 1589 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2365578 - Yesterday at 04:03 PM Skype problems since getting new computer
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I replaced my computer about 2 months ago. Windows 7 is the same as before; Internet service is the same. My camera is a Logitec C920. When talking to someone I use a cordless headset, also Logitec.

Since getting the new computer, problems with the video is happening on the receiving side - it freezes on them. After researching on-line, I reduced how often it did that, by turning off everything automatic: auto-focus, auto-adjustment of brightness.

When I first connect to the other person, my video zooms in to a close-up of my face. Then 12 seconds in, it zooms out again. When I record with my camera normally, zooming is set manually, so I don't know what is directing the camera to zoom in and out. Perhaps Skype is interfacing and giving a command? It seems to be at the moment of zooming, that the video freezes.

Currently I sit still as a statue a bit past the 12 second zoom-in mark, to reduce how often it freezes. It still freezes from time to time despite this. The zoom-in / zoom-out can also pop up randomly during a session.

Once it has frozen, the only way to restore it is to turn off, and redial the other party. A few days ago it was so bad that after doing this a dozen times, we simply went on audio - which is not that great when you are discussing physical motion.

Has anyone encountered this? Any solutions?

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2365585 - Yesterday at 05:03 PM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: keystring]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Latest skype IMHO is totally broken. My new macbook pro did a kernel panic twice on it while in a skype session sharing the desktop. My solution is not to use it anymore.

#2365592 - Yesterday at 05:23 PM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: keystring]
Jytte Online   content

Loc: presently Germany (Danish)
I chose that solution years ago. Skype never did it for me. Using QQ now.

PS: wouter79, I have to ask... what are those 'medals' in your signature??

Edited by Jytte (Yesterday at 05:24 PM)

#2365597 - Yesterday at 05:59 PM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: keystring]
keystring Offline

I see an option of Logitech Vid HD, as an alternative to Skype. The million dollar question - does the other person also have to have a Logitech camera?

#2365598 - Yesterday at 06:00 PM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: wouter79]
keystring Offline

Originally Posted By: wouter79
Latest skype IMHO is totally broken. My new macbook pro did a kernel panic twice on it while in a skype session sharing the desktop. My solution is not to use it anymore.

Do you have an alternative?

If the latest version is broken, can one go to an earlier version?

#2365621 - Yesterday at 07:28 PM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: keystring]
Jytte Online   content

there is a list of older versions here:
http://skype.en.downloadastro.com/old_versions/

don't know if they're better though

#2365713 - Today at 05:59 AM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: Jytte]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Jytte

These are medals from the ABF recitals, you get a medal with every recital. I did maybe 10 recitals now but after 4 I stopped adding more medals to my signature smile

#2365714 - Today at 06:00 AM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: keystring]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keystring

Yes, POS telephone...

#2365750 - Today at 09:29 AM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: wouter79]
Jytte Online   content

Originally Posted By: Jytte

These are medals from the ABF recitals, you get a medal with every recital. I did maybe 10 recitals now but after 4 I stopped adding more medals to my signature smile

Oh, I see, thanks.

#2365757 - Today at 09:53 AM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: wouter79]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Yes, POS telephone...

Just out of curiosity (as I have no intention of ever using Skype etc grin) - is FaceTime in iOS devices the same thing (or concept) as Skype?

It came with my Mac laptop, but along with most of the other apps that came pre-installed, I've no idea what it's for.

#2365769 - Today at 10:52 AM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: bennevis]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: bennevis

Yes, POS telephone...

Just out of curiosity (as I have no intention of ever using Skype etc grin) - is FaceTime in iOS devices the same thing (or concept) as Skype?

Yes, it is very similar. It's only for Apple-to-Apple video calls though - and it doesn't have the option of dialling regular telephones. I don't think it's really taken off because it isn't cross-platform and most people know people with Windows machines and Facetime would shut them out. That's why Skype is the main player in the Video-call stakes.

#2365778 - Today at 11:44 AM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: ando]
keystring Offline

Originally Posted By: ando
That's why Skype is the main player in the Video-call stakes.

Except that it's not working out. frown Yesterday I tried two things: I lowered the resolution to 320p, and I had seen someone turned the video off and on whenever it froze, which was better than hanging up completely. Well, the on-off restored video in our test run. But I was doing it every 90 seconds or so. The dialogue didn't get much further than two words: "frozen ... back ...... frozen ...... back.... frozen etc." And also Wouter may be on the mark about Skype having gotten worse.

I'm also open to alternatives to Skype.

#2365780 - Today at 11:54 AM Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: keystring]
keystring Offline

I was reading a bunch of stuff from all over the place yesterday. In one of them a rep. explained that a program like Skype "stabilizes" the video after 20 seconds. He was just explaining how it works, rather than targeting any problem. Well this "stabilizing" must be something done by a program like Skype that also sends commands to the camera for adjusting it. This would explain why it starts by zooming me in, and then zooming me out - always exactly at the 12 second mark.

After all, audio is also adjusted. If the other person suddenly coughs loudly or put something in the desk near the microphone so that there is a "bang", then the system turns down the volume on you. So maybe the answer is a system that is less invasive (?).

Or a camera that is more compatible? My son has offered me his older camera which is by Microsoft. I'm loathe to abandon what I have, and the Logitech can be mounted onto the tripod via the tripod's screw, with the other camera doesn't have.

#2365838 - 33 minutes 20 seconds ago Re: Skype problems since getting new computer [Re: keystring]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Try also Google hangouts, easy to use. Available most platforms including iOS. Last I heard was that Skype is leaky, but I suppose the NSA see all anyway.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Merry Christmas!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
High school piano accompanist
by MiguelSousa
12/26/14 01:51 PM
Got money to spend on a piano stoool
by LarryShone
12/26/14 01:41 PM
Pre-owned Schimmel grand, Hand made German piano - $24900
by Paul678
12/26/14 12:14 PM
strange sound playing with depressed middle and right pedals
by Sampianist
12/26/14 10:51 AM
Question for TuneLab Users
by Ed Sutton
12/26/14 08:37 AM
Forum Stats
77420 Members
42 Forums
160152 Topics
2351766 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission